Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Id be alfred the great because i get terrible shits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

figure i'd probably be louis xiii--good at war but otherwise just a sad gay goon

I'd just be the Taisho emperor, extremely eccentric, lack dexterity and lack charisma. I'm not suffering from extreme lead poisoning but they still would probably just hide me from the rest of the world.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
E: oops

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 23, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senor Dog posted:

I'd be napoleon but without the administrative and martial genius
short? i can manage short

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd probably go mad with power if I was a king because why shouldn't you just have everyone that opposes you killed?

Also eat a lot of oranges.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dibs of Maximilian I. Well-intentioned, in a job I (nor pretty much anyone) should be in at all, destined to screw up and get killed by my own subjects.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’d be Charles II because I’m sure to leave a gigantic mess behind once I die.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Augustus The Strong.

Not because I'm swole, but because my reign would be known entirely for the wacky poo poo I did, and all my greatest successes would be accidental.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

whatever historical monarch has the optimum mix of "gay as hell" and "didn't commit atrocities against the Jewish people" would be ideal for me. looking at you, Hadrian

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i just wanna be one of the guys in the Byzantine elite who was around when procopius was writing perhaps the greatest expressions of misogyny in literature and actually having fun with the awesome women he described

fun in a respectful way of course. there was a super
important Whig politician in the late 18th century, I think his name was Fox, who married his mistress and just ignored everybody's poo poo. those are the kind of people I hope I could've been if I was noble and rich and had the opportunity to tell everybody to gently caress themselves

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 24, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

oystertoadfish posted:

there was a super important Whig politician in the late 18th century, I think his name was Fox, who married his mistress and just ignored everybody's poo poo. those are the kind of people I hope I could've been if I was noble and rich and had the opportunity to tell everybody to gently caress themselves
it would also be legal for you to do all the drugs with your mistress

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Freudian posted:

whatever historical monarch has the optimum mix of "gay as hell" and "didn't commit atrocities against the Jewish people" would be ideal for me. looking at you, Hadrian

Wasn’t Henri III the twink king of France

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Realistically I'd probably end up like Honorius or Romulus Augustulus.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cnidario posted:

Wasn’t Henri III the twink king of France
he got hella stabbed tho (not because of the gay part)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you're king you're basically the law and can just kill all your enemies and/or anyone who mildly annoys you and do whatever you want.

Except if you're somewhere lovely like Britain where the king is dependent upon a parliament or some poo poo.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

In the first season of Rome, Caesar is shown packing the Senate with Gauls. Did this actually happen, and if so, what became of them? I don't think they make another appearance in the series after their brief introduction, and it's easy to imagine the Roman senators being like "Thanks for your service but kindly gently caress off" after Caesar gets got.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you're king you're basically the law and can just kill all your enemies and/or anyone who mildly annoys you and do whatever you want.

Except if you're somewhere lovely like Britain where the king is dependent upon a parliament or some poo poo.

if you start doing this you're probably not going to remain the king for very long

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

In the first season of Rome, Caesar is shown packing the Senate with Gauls. Did this actually happen, and if so, what became of them? I don't think they make another appearance in the series after their brief introduction, and it's easy to imagine the Roman senators being like "Thanks for your service but kindly gently caress off" after Caesar gets got.

Well sorta. He expanded the Senate to include a bunch of “Gauls” from the province of Cisalpine Gaul which is what is now modern day Northern Italy. Unlike their portrayal in the show as long haired Barbarians from the recently conquered territory of “Gaul” that is modern day France these “Gauls” would have been indistinguishable from any Roman as the province had been under Roman control for over 200 years. In fact a few years later Augustus would just outright do away with Cisapline Gaul all together and just make it a part of Italy proper.

The Senate did take offense to this because they were stuck up assholes who resented the New Men infringing on their turf. I’m not sure if any of the resentment was because they still considered them Barbarians or not.

Anyway the Senate would expand and contract numerous times over the next 30 years as the Trimumverate made a habit of murdering Senators they didn’t like and just packing the body with loyalists.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Elyv posted:

if you start doing this you're probably not going to remain the king for very long

Yeah, renowned for their historical accuracy in general of course but Asian historical shows are actually extremely great for showcasing just how toothless rulers can often be if their ministers aren't behind them. Realistically I would definitely either be a puppet or get assassinated within a few weeks once my court figured out how inept I am at court politics.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well sorta. He expanded the Senate to include a bunch of “Gauls” from the province of Cisalpine Gaul which is what is now modern day Northern Italy. Unlike their portrayal in the show as long haired Barbarians from the recently conquered territory of “Gaul” that is modern day France these “Gauls” would have been indistinguishable from any Roman as the province had been under Roman control for over 200 years. In fact a few years later Augustus would just outright do away with Cisapline Gaul all together and just make it a part of Italy proper.

How many senators were permitted from just outside of Rome (the city) period? This isn't so long after the civil war where Rome was putting down the Italians for making demands to be treated equally. I thought a lot of the power of the Republic's government was focused in the power being from Rome specifically, and that was why the outlying territories wound up being so okay with the establishment of the Empire.

And of course, this is part of Caesar's victory lap after winning the civil war over the legality of the campaign he made through Gaul gaul as governor of Cisalpine gaul. So he's backing up his powergrab by packing the senate with a bunch of hicks from ancient Missouri, obviously because they're his buddies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

oystertoadfish posted:

i just wanna be one of the guys in the Byzantine elite who was around when procopius was writing perhaps the greatest expressions of misogyny in literature and actually having fun with the awesome women he described

fun in a respectful way of course. there was a super
important Whig politician in the late 18th century, I think his name was Fox, who married his mistress and just ignored everybody's poo poo. those are the kind of people I hope I could've been if I was noble and rich and had the opportunity to tell everybody to gently caress themselves

Constantine VIII got to be a nominal emperor for 60 years, only actually ruling for less than 3. What was he doing for the other 60?? Being rich and having an excellent time and not loving worrying about anything. And even though his actual reign sucked for the state and the future, he died from natural causes. It was a good life.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many senators were permitted from just outside of Rome (the city) period? This isn't so long after the civil war where Rome was putting down the Italians for making demands to be treated equally. I thought a lot of the power of the Republic's government was focused in the power being from Rome specifically, and that was why the outlying territories wound up being so okay with the establishment of the Empire.

And of course, this is part of Caesar's victory lap after winning the civil war over the legality of the campaign he made through Gaul gaul as governor of Cisalpine gaul. So he's backing up his powergrab by packing the senate with a bunch of hicks from ancient Missouri, obviously because they're his buddies.

There were plenty of senators from Roman territory scattered across Italy. Prior to the Social War like a third of the peninsular was under direct Roman control and everyone living there were full citizens.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Republican Senators you may have heard of who came from outside of Rome:

Cato the Elder
Gaius Marius
Cicero
Pompey

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Not being born within the walls of Rome itself must have bugged Cato so loving bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Koramei posted:

Yeah, renowned for their historical accuracy in general of course but Asian historical shows are actually extremely great for showcasing just how toothless rulers can often be if their ministers aren't behind them. Realistically I would definitely either be a puppet or get assassinated within a few weeks once my court figured out how inept I am at court politics.

Even if the court is on your side, if you start pissing off other semi-independent power holders it can lead to ugly results.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epicurius posted:

Republican Senators you may have heard of who came from outside of Rome:

Cato the Elder
Gaius Marius
Cicero
Pompey

Marius and Pompey (Strabo, not so sure about Magnus) both definitely got sneered at by blue-bloods for being hicks too (despite being born citizens). Citizenship was widely diffused across (then-)Italy by the end of the Republic, but political power was still highly concentrated among families of Rome proper until big-time turnover of senators occurred under the Caesars. It’s really not until well into the principate that provincial aristocrats start to become more relevant than Roman Romans.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

Marius and Pompey (Strabo, not so sure about Magnus) both definitely got sneered at by blue-bloods for being hicks too (despite being born citizens). Citizenship was widely diffused across (then-)Italy by the end of the Republic, but political power was still highly concentrated among families of Rome proper until big-time turnover of senators occurred under the Caesars. It’s really not until well into the principate that provincial aristocrats start to become more relevant than Roman Romans.

So did Cicero and Cato.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wanna go back in time and tell Cato (both the elder and junior) that in the future the most powerful and idolized Roman will be some Spaniard.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wanna go back in time and tell Cato (both the elder and junior) that in the future the most powerful and idolized Roman will be some Spaniard.

Who? Theodosius?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Probably Hadrian.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not so much a Spaniard, but like 3 times the distance from Spain as Spain is from Rome. But also the son of an Italian immigrant, so it kinda goes full circle there.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different "Roman". Technically sovereign from the rest of Rome I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trajan

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
both Catos are one blog away from being that guy who thought silent hill was all about the evil of circumcision

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

OG Cato was far less crazy than Cato 2: Republic Boogaloo

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

OG Cato was far less crazy than Cato 2: Republic Boogaloo

Cato the Younger gets a bad rap because everybody loves Julius Caesar in spite of the fact that he was a meglomaniac who waged illegal wars to prevent being prosecuted for bribery after unconstitutionally passing invalid legislation, and then launched a military coup so that he could unconstitutionally seize power.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Caesar was a megalomaniac no doubt, but Carl’s bizarre moralism and costume are easily as weird as anything Caesar did. Not least because Caesar at least got rich and powerful and unprecedentedly glorious out of it, while Cato gained about gently caress all from his performative twattery, except a decent posthumous reputation among aristo jerks of a latter era.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cato was too inflexible. It was like he had metal joints.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cato was the fishmech of Rome.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

Caesar was a megalomaniac no doubt, but Carl’s bizarre moralism and costume are easily as weird as anything Caesar did. Not least because Caesar at least got rich and powerful and unprecedentedly glorious out of it, while Cato gained about gently caress all from his performative twattery, except a decent posthumous reputation among aristo jerks of a latter era.

Cato was pretty well respected at the time by the population, and loved by the Cypriots when he was governor of Cyprus. Admittedly, he wasn't as rich as Caesar, but he would have been richer if he were less honest, and he lost in the end, but that was pretty much true of all of them. None of the big figures in Roman politics from the late republic had happy ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Cato was pretty well respected at the time by the population, and loved by the Cypriots when he was governor of Cyprus. Admittedly, he wasn't as rich as Caesar, but he would have been richer if he were less honest, and he lost in the end, but that was pretty much true of all of them. None of the big figures in Roman politics from the late republic had happy ends.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The Republican system was obviously braking down during this era, and all of them, all of them, contributed to the acceleration of its collapse. I'm not sure to what extent this was the result of personal failings on their parts, ignorance, or the inexorable grind of historical circumstance. I am sure however that they knew they were playing a dangerous game, and were perfectly aware of what would come of losing. They sealed their fates with open eyes i for men like Cato I have little sympathy.