Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
If I caught one of my children """worldbuilding"""

Holy poo poo you better believe the pain would be coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

pseudanonymous posted:

Then why do they win? Why do Frodo and Sam survive on giant loving eagles. Why pull your punches? Why let them destroy the ring?

Maybe I just don't "get it" but I think the LotR kind of sucks aside from being a sacred cow that invented a genre.

they don't win. the destruction of the ring is very clearly a single, imperfect victory in the midst of a Long Defeat that stretches from the Fall (or the marring of Arda or whatever) to the Day of Judgement. he's not "pulling his punches", he's making a more nuanced point than some grimdark "everythign DOOMED" bullshit: victories over great evil are possible, even (indeed especially) by the weakest and smallest amongst us, but the world has been fundamentally flawed from its beginning and will decline inexorably until its final redemption.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
as with Narnia it helps to have literally any grasp of christian thought at all

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
God has good worldbuilding. he did it with THEMES in mind

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Shut the gently caress up.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Phobeste posted:

You like that reddit poo poo, here's the purestrain https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/
http://thefpl.us/episode/280

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Then why do they win? Why do Frodo and Sam survive on giant loving eagles. Why pull your punches? Why let them destroy the ring?

Maybe I just don't "get it" but I think the LotR kind of sucks aside from being a sacred cow that invented a genre.

The destruction of the ring is part of the decline. With its destruction the power of the three elven rings of Elrond / Gandalf / Galandriel also fades and magic slowly disappears from the world.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hackbunny posted:

The videogame of the same title I guess

I am fascinated by video game writing but its unfortunate because book people don't care about games and games people dont care about books

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am fascinated by video game writing but its unfortunate because book people don't care about games and games people dont care about books
Have some* blogposts, where a game critic tries to hold video game plots to the standards of genre literature:
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

I would be quite interested in what someone with actual literary knowledge has to say about this kind of thing.

*length may approach that of a modern fantasy novel.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
video game writing is a continual source of depression for me because i really want it to be good and it never is

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

video game writing is a continual source of depression for me because i really want it to be good and it never is

The problem is that few writers acknowledge video games as a divergent media form and fail to adapt what they do with it.

They either write it like a movie or like a book, and both are failures of the form.

I argue one of the few games that wrote for an video game with acknowledgement of the video game as a medium is Deadly Premonition

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm trying to think of a videogame with good writing but the best of it really does tap out around Rothfuss or GRRM levels.

Games should go the Dark Souls route and avoid text wherever possible.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem is that few writers acknowledge video games as a divergent media form and fail to adapt what they do with it.

They either write it like a movie or like a book, and both are failures of the form.
Totally agree there. What makes it worse is that the thing that is copied is either genre fiction or a strawman of self-referential abstract art.
The only computer games I would describe as truly tell a story in a way that makes real use of the game as a medium are Papers Please and Obra Dinn.

And the Papers Please short film still ended up as the best film adaption of a game somehow.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah I need to try Papers Please because Return of the Obra Dinn is pretty skilled as an narrative format

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Not seeing any themes in this post.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

porfiria posted:

I'm trying to think of a videogame with good writing but the best of it really does tap out around Rothfuss or GRRM levels.

It's probably cliché at this point to say New Vegas, but New Vegas.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
so whose alt is nerdburger?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

tonberrytoby posted:

Have some* blogposts, where a game critic tries to hold video game plots to the standards of genre literature:
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

I would be quite interested in what someone with actual literary knowledge has to say about this kind of thing.

*length may approach that of a modern fantasy novel.

no

no no no no no

don't post anything shamus young writes about mass effect, the dude is flat out wrong, doesn't pay attention to anything, and brings so many preconceptions to how mass effect 'should have' gone that he ends up writing fanfiction instead of doing any analysis of what's before him. lt danger broke down why young's stuff is so bad a while back, i think in the mass effect andromeda thread. young's whole take hinges on his notion that mass effect 1 was a perfect work of hard sci-fi that had deep themes (young never mentions what these themes are), meanwhile 2 and 3 were ruined by money-grabbing EA. about the only thing he gets right is that ashley williams had more going on than the racist meme that the fandom picked out.

quote:

• why is Shamus unable to accurately recall basic details about the game, like what exactly is happening with the Temple of Athame on Thessia or the tone of voice Miranda uses in the ME2 intro
  • why is Shamus unable to commit to making a point without walking it back with a proviso
  • why is Shamus unable to make analogies to anything aside from basicbro nerd mass media, i.e. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Trek and Star Wars (and why he has to make so many in the first place)
  • why is Shamus unable to discuss anything other than the plot of the game, e.g. music, art direction, colour palette, gameplay mechanics
  • why is Shamus unable to explain the "themes, ideas, philosophy and tone" of the series despite promising to do so

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 23, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I want to believe Planescape Torment had good writing but I’m too afraid to ever go back.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

no

no no no no no

don't post anything shamus young writes about mass effect, the dude is flat out wrong, doesn't pay attention to anything, and brings so many preconceptions to how mass effect 'should have' gone that he ends up writing fanfiction instead of doing any analysis of what's before him. lt danger broke down why young's stuff is so bad a while back, i think in the mass effect andromeda thread. young's whole take hinges on his notion that mass effect 1 was a perfect work of hard sci-fi that had deep themes (young never mentions what these themes are), meanwhile 2 and 3 were ruined by money-grabbing EA. about the only thing he gets right is that ashley williams had more going on than the racist meme that the fandom picked out.

Dude I feel like you know too much about that poo poo

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Because the loss doesn't come from the heroes losing, it comes from the fact that, no matter what, the magic is fading from the world, the heroes just made it last a little longer. Also, Sam rejecting queerness in favor of heteronormative landed gentry life

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

porfiria posted:

I want to believe Planescape Torment had good writing but I’m too afraid to ever go back.

Narrator voice: it didn't

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ras Het posted:

Dude I feel like you know too much about that poo poo

like half of my probations have been in the mass effect 3 thread

so, yes

please help me

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

so, yes

please help me

Don't leave the Bonfire, you're one of us now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

porfiria posted:

yeah ive been playing Hyper Light Drifter and the narrative format is excellent (there are no words just pictures)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

so, yes

please help me

For what reason?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ras Het posted:

No need to be such a Filifionka

shut up you hemulen

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I need to try Papers Please because Return of the Obra Dinn is pretty skilled as an narrative format

In my ignorant knuckle-dragging troglodyte opinion, Papers, Please is one of the only videogames that can be considered art. The writing isn't very good though, I'm afraid. Too many videogame-isms the writer uses as a crutch

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

porfiria posted:

Chris Avellone’s recent stuff has been so awful even by video game standards that I’m afraid to go back to his earlier stuff out of fear of realizing that he was never good and I was just a dumb kid that thought good writing was all about how many overwrought metaphors you could cram into your work

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Obra dinn is a spectacularly well constructed lovely mystery

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Its like he thought the general conceit of the thing would be too much for gamers so he had to make parts of it terrible and have a dull story and honestly, it probably wouldnt be nearly as highly praised if it was all as interesting as the structure because game people are babies

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Why is that, though? Why isn't there a demand (and supply) for games with better writing? There are a couple (Obrah Dinn, What Remains of Edith Finch), but they're the vanishing minority.

Is it because of how much sales are based around adverts and reviews? I can see how that would push graphics over content, compared to books' more word-of-mouth (if that's still true) promotion.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

lofi posted:

Why is that, though? Why isn't there a demand (and supply) for games with better writing? There are a couple (Obrah Dinn, What Remains of Edith Finch), but they're the vanishing minority.

Is it because of how much sales are based around adverts and reviews? I can see how that would push graphics over content, compared to books' more word-of-mouth (if that's still true) promotion.

there's not even much of a demand for books with good writing, where would one come from in videogames?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of terrible sci-fi and fantasy

hoo boy anthem is terribly written on every level

what the Ayn Rand book? I liked it because it was short as gently caress and you got the entirety of her stupid philosophy of selfishness without another 750 page long exposition

But if you are talking about something else then vOv

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pseudanonymous posted:

The Ayn Rand book? Does it have a map? Also, Ayn Rand is just a terrible loving writer, it goes without saying any book she wrote is terrible. I read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged when I was younger wanting to see what all the fuss was about and man she's just an awful awful writer, aside from whether her ideas have any merit (they don't).

lol fuckin beat nm

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
ayn rand was such a loving weird figure, historically speaking

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

History is full of things that you couldn’t put into a novel because they’d come across as too cheesy and improbable. This weirdo’s brick-sized novels were so good they became hailed as the philosophical manifestos of the country’s legislature fifty years later?!?!?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
is Edith Finch good bc its on sale on PSN rn

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

is Edith Finch good bc its on sale on PSN rn

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

poisonpill posted:

History is full of things that you couldn’t put into a novel because they’d come across as too cheesy and improbable. This weirdo’s brick-sized novels were so good they became hailed as the philosophical manifestos of the country’s legislature fifty years later?!?!?

I think part of the appeal is they are very simple ideas. They appeal to people who aren't particularly deep thinkers, and who don't deal well with nuance and complexity.

"Greed is good" is a simple idea.

Also, I think the books are so bad that makes them somehow more appealing as philosophy tomes. I mean if you try to read Thus Spake Zarathustra as a novel you'd be like "this is bad worldbuilding" and "this prose isn't very good" or "it has no map" and "it was a Zoroastrian prophet in three parts".

You read Atlas Shrugged and it just hits you over the head with the same ideas over and over. The whole book boils down "just let capitalists do whatever the gently caress they want" but somehow John Galt has a speech that's a novel by itself (it's twice the length of the communist manifesto apparently). You start thinking there has to be something to this if it's so long and difficult (there isn't).