Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

PTizzle posted:

Would I be able to get an invite to the Kakao group? ID is DylanT. About to come and study in Seoul for a month - a little nervous, but this thread has been a great read.

I'm getting a user not found when I try to find you by that. Can you go to the friends list, click the add friend (top right next to the settings cog), and check what it says next to MyID? Or add me (felixfelixitas7) and I'll get you into the groupchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

I'm getting a user not found when I try to find you by that. Can you go to the friends list, click the add friend (top right next to the settings cog), and check what it says next to MyID? Or add me (felixfelixitas7) and I'll get you into the groupchat

Apologies, looks like I hadn't set it up correctly. I added you - I'm CliffHAus. Appreciate the help!

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Hi Korea goons. I don't think we ever met while I lived in Korea, but I'm going to be in Seoul for work this week. Would anyone like to eat their weight min chicken and or pork belly and beer? Is there a Seoul goon Kakao?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Will Korea be difficult for a tourist with a dairy allergy?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Will Korea be difficult for a tourist with a dairy allergy?

Few places could be easier.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gildiss posted:

Few places could be easier.

Cool. Thanks. The AFP thread was showing me tons of horror story Korean food with unaccountable piles of loose corn and creamy poo poo on top, which is presumably mayo, but I wasn't sure, so I figured I'd ask.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommonShore posted:

Cool. Thanks. The AFP thread was showing me tons of horror story Korean food with unaccountable piles of loose corn and creamy poo poo on top, which is presumably mayo, but I wasn't sure, so I figured I'd ask.

Is mayo. Bad cheese in things is a Korean trend but traditional food uses no dairy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

Is mayo. Bad cheese in things is a Korean trend but traditional food uses no dairy.

Will it be easy to avoid the bad cheese in things for the most part?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

As a tourist are you coming to eat the local food or the caricatures of western food?

Also most things that have bad cheese inserted come advertised with cheese right in the name.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. It'll almost certainly be labeled, look for 치즈.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gildiss posted:

As a tourist are you coming to eat the local food or the caricatures of western food?

Also most things that have bad cheese inserted come advertised with cheese right in the name.

I'm not the one going. My 65 year old mom is spending like 40 days there, mostly in Busan and Jeju. She has a bit of an orientalist impression that Koreans don't touch the filthy dairy which makes her react, because it's not part of their ancient culture. My posting experiences teach me that this is false - I'm just trying to get a bit of info for her so she doesn't chow down on something that has a bunch of non-obvious dairy in it and then have to blast herself with prednozone for two weeks while on her vacation.

She's happy eating local food - is it a good rule of thumb that if it looks non-western that it almost certainly won't have bad cheese in it, and that most of the added dairy is really obvious?

e. and will it be like Thailand where it's really hard to get black coffee because everyone drinks instant with sugar and powdered milk pre-mixed?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 24, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

She's happy eating local food - is it a good rule of thumb that if it looks non-western that it almost certainly won't have bad cheese in it, and that most of the added dairy is really obvious?

Basically. If there's cheese it'll be labeled as having cheese.

CommonShore posted:

e. and will it be like Thailand where it's really hard to get black coffee because everyone drinks instant with sugar and powdered milk pre-mixed?

There are bad cafes literally everywhere but mostly they're latte type drinks. lovely instant is also popular. Starbucks is the only place you can reliably get black coffee that I can think of. Lots of indie hipstery cafes should have it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically. If there's cheese it'll be labeled as having cheese.

There are bad cafes literally everywhere but mostly they're latte type drinks. lovely instant is also popular. Starbucks is the only place you can reliably get black coffee that I can think of. Lots of indie hipstery cafes should have it.

Thanks much!

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Almost no food has dairy whatsoever, only foreign-style eateries. Just about anything in a Korean restaurant that has cheese will have it in the name - cheese ramen, cheese kimbap, and cheese donkassu (pork cutlet) are the only things I can even think of the top of my head. Your mum should be pretty safe, especially if she's in a BBQ place, a local restaurant or at the local market.

Korea has a robust coffee culture and getting a black coffee is super easy, any sort of black coffee is just called americano in the cafes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Americano is watered espresso, not really black coffee. Actual brewed black coffee can be tough to hunt down.

Budae jjigae often has cheese and isn't labeled, but is also gross so there's no reason to eat it. Random cheese in gimbap also happens but she can ask for no cheese. It's a loanword so it's easy, chijeu.

Yogurt drinks are also pretty popular, if she's given a weird shaped little plastic bottle as a dessert at the end of the meal that's a Yakult yogurt.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Budae jjigae often has cheese and isn't labeled, but is also gross so there's no reason to eat it.

trump lover spotted

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Grand Fromage posted:

Americano is watered espresso, not really black coffee. Actual brewed black coffee can be tough to hunt down.

Budae jjigae often has cheese and isn't labeled, but is also gross so there's no reason to eat it. Random cheese in gimbap also happens but she can ask for no cheese. It's a loanword so it's easy, chijeu.

Yogurt drinks are also pretty popular, if she's given a weird shaped little plastic bottle as a dessert at the end of the meal that's a Yakult yogurt.

I don't know how much artisan-brewed coffee a single tourist would be after, but yes point taken. Jeju City and Seogwipo definitely have decent indie places though, and the Angel-in-Us chain does do single origin brews.

I've been here nine months and never been offered a yakult but I only eat out as a treat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know how a cup of actual black coffee is "artisan" but I do know that if you want that and are given a disgusting americano you are likely to be annoyed.

And eat out more jeez. Restaurants are the one thing in Korea that's still cheap like it used to be.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
I'm vegetarian which can make eating out a little.... complex. So unless I'm traveling or with friends the only place I go to regularly is a local kimbap joint which makes a killer bibimbap.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Not much in the way of options for that. I assume somebody's told you about Buddhist temple cuisine by now? There are restaurants around specializing in that and it's all vegan.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Yeah I know about the temple food places, but there aren't any within an easy journey unfortunately. At least as far as I know, have to rely on word of mouth a lot when it comes to good places for food.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Is the air quality in Seoul significantly worse than it was a year or two ago? Some friends of mine still living over there are seriously contemplating leaving because of it.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 3, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's pretty much always terrible around winter. If you compare this article to the current AQI, it's not much different.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vernacular posted:

Is the air quality in Seoul significantly worse than it was a year or two ago? Some friends of mine still living over there are seriously contemplating leaving because of it.

Seoul was always the dirtiest city but the air in Korea has gotten quite a lot worse in general over the past four or five years, yeah. Where I lived in the south used to be clean year round and now gets pretty China regularly in winter.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Also, because a lot of the pollution is floating over from China, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re in downtown Seoul or a pretty mountain village. It’s all chocked by smog (Seoul is definitely worse, but on bad days it’s bad everywhere).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Grand Fromage posted:

No so reliable. Some starbucks there don't even have drip drew available, it's crazy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Drip is a pretty reliable from starbucks in Gyeonggi, not so much elsewhere. The Korean chain Coffee Smith does drip pretty reliably everywhere.

I just moved to Gyeonggi and the air quality is way worse than I experienced in five years of Daegu, but my friends tell me it’s just as bad down there. So yeah, it seems to be getting worse.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Heer98 posted:

Also, because a lot of the pollution is floating over from China, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re in downtown Seoul or a pretty mountain village. It’s all chocked by smog (Seoul is definitely worse, but on bad days it’s bad everywhere).
But dad/mom. China says it's not responsible.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Grand Fromage posted:

Budae jjigae is delicious with cheese and without.

Now galbi tang, on the other hand, has some pretty awful cheese in it...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's all the same garbage knockoff Kraft single poo poo.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

For sure, but at least in the budae jjigae it compliments the flavor of the soup, unlike the galbi tang which, well, doesn't.

Mind you I've never had galbi tang in the states so maybe its better in k-town?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

For sure, but at least in the budae jjigae it compliments the flavor of the soup, unlike the galbi tang which, well, doesn't.

Knock off Kraft definitely compliments your trashy spam water, you are correct.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I've never seen cheese in galbitang so have no opinion. Cheese galbi was a trend while I was in Korea though, just a big pile of melted bad cheese to dip your meat in.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do they still have the pogos wrapped in Kraft singles before being breaded, deep-fried, and rolled in sugar? Because those were pretty good if I asked for no sugar.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

FelicityGS posted:

Knock off Kraft definitely compliments your trashy spam water, you are correct.

I'm pretty sure they at least use real Kraft at my local spot :smuggo:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
How much does it realistically cost to live in or near Seoul? From what everyone is telling me I would need over a million US dollars to buy a two bedroom apartment anywhere near Seoul but there’s no way Korea has that many millionaires so I think I’m missing some important information.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Buy? Not rent?

Depends heavily on what part of Seoul or which suburbs. It isn’t as bad as NYC or anything and there are affordable areas.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Bugblatter posted:

Buy? Not rent?

I’m trying to do retirement planning with the goal of early retirement and living in Korea for the following reasons: my wife is Korean, her family lives in Korea, Korea offers affordable healthcare and I really like Korea. I’m still 10+ years out but would like to know how much I need to have saved up before pulling the trigger. Jeonse might be the best option, although inflation is a concern.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

I’m trying to do retirement planning

Lol

nelson posted:

with the goal of early retirement

:lol:

Real talk, 10 years is way too long to predict the prices of real estate here. It could bubble or crater tomorrow or 5 years from now or 10 etc.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
*fart*