Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

syscall girl posted:

What is the best game to DL because I don't want to go to Gamestop?

Snipperclips.

The switch xbox gamepass stuff seemed weird to me until I realized it's probably more profitable for Nintendo to piggyback off existing streaming code Microsoft developed and add their back catalogue to it instead of making their own or making Virtual Console releases that never sell that well. (I think I remember some exec saying that at some point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
In regards to people asking what the point of an Xbox One Two would be, if Microsoft's plan actually worked, there wouldn't be one.

Microsoft wouldn't give a poo poo about selling a mass amount of boxes if a significant enough amount of people were paying for Gold and Game Pass to play on their phones and tablets.

The cheaper box would exist only as a convenient way to stream to TVs that don't have an Xbox app available.

The more expensive box would be for enthusiasts who want to download full fidelity games still.

I don't think this future is near, but I do think some of you underestimate the tolerance of your average consumer when it comes to latency/worse video quality. Your average teen isn't going to give a poo poo about it if it means they can play CoD on their phone without their parents having to buy them a $300-$500 dollar box.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

CRIMSON SKIES WHEN?!?!

Never. It sucks. Any rogue squadron or ace combat blows it out of the water

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trash person posted:

In regards to people asking what the point of an Xbox One Two would be, if Microsoft's plan actually worked, there wouldn't be one.

Microsoft wouldn't give a poo poo about selling a mass amount of boxes if a significant enough amount of people were paying for Gold and Game Pass to play on their phones and tablets.

The cheaper box would exist only as a convenient way to stream to TVs that don't have an Xbox app available.

The more expensive box would be for enthusiasts who want to download full fidelity games still.

I don't think this future is near, but I do think some of you underestimate the tolerance of your average consumer when it comes to latency/worse video quality. Your average teen isn't going to give a poo poo about it if it means they can play CoD on their phone without their parents having to buy them a $300-$500 dollar box.

They have 10 million people in north america willing to give them 500 dollars whenever they ask for it so there will always be new xboxs and dont forget the 7 different controller revisions and customization options no matter what their actual brand strategy is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

They have 10 million people in north america willing to give them 500 dollars whenever they ask for it so there will always be new xboxs and dont forget the 7 different controller revisions and customization options no matter what their actual brand strategy is

Non-Nintendo Console companies generally sell consoles at a loss though (at least early in the generation)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox has lost money for 20 years tho so that dont matter
Point is they have a rabid fanbase that never got over halo ce that will buy any product day 1 and they love serving those 10ish million guys

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
On Switch stuff I went and got a second Switch today. Getting to be much shared between me and my two rapidly growing children.

Switch consoles are selling like crazy lately huh? The Best Buy i went to only had one in stock

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
woot just had them for $230 but I don't know how many they actually sold.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

night slime posted:

Snipperclips.

The switch xbox gamepass stuff seemed weird to me until I realized it's probably more profitable for Nintendo to piggyback off existing streaming code Microsoft developed and add their back catalogue to it instead of making their own or making Virtual Console releases that never sell that well. (I think I remember some exec saying that at some point)

I want to know if this means XBL games on the Switch. Castle Crashers is one of many games I'd be happy to see on God's Perfect Console.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to know if this means XBL games on the Switch. Castle Crashers is one of many games I'd be happy to see on God's Perfect Console.
No one knows but if their xCloud project just piggybacks off of the current Game Pass model then there's no reason you wouldn't be able to play all of those games.

Should be noted that Xbox streaming service doesn't actually exist currently. Game Pass on Windows and Xbox One is just free games that you download. They haven't officially launched the streaming end of it yet, and probably won't until at least after E3.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Dark Souls online seems pretty barren, and I've changed the settings to global.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Never. It sucks. Any rogue squadron or ace combat blows it out of the water

Wait, is Rogue Squadron on the Switch?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

syscall girl posted:

Wait, is Rogue Squadron on the Switch?

Reggie left with work undone smh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Real hurthling! posted:

Reggie left with work undone smh

But he was successful in keeping that trash off of the Switch. :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Non-Nintendo Console companies generally sell consoles at a loss though (at least early in the generation)

Doesn't matter, they make their actual profits off of software for a long time afterwards.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

anyone here played Starlink? Is it any good?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's a fun, low stress, repetitive gameplay loop. Some might call it grindy but if you like blowing things up and slowly taking over a star system for the good guys, it could be for you. The story is nothing CRAZY good, but it's cool to see Team Star Fox actually participate in it.

I like it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Anybody give Tangledeep a try? It looks kinda fun and I'm not usually into roguelikes. Only $20.

It's excellent on Switch. It's still a bit buggy but nothing has been game breaking for me yet. However if you like Roguelikes, you can't go wrong. I've been waiting for a game like this on a portable console since I played Crawl on PC almost ten years ago. I have around 25 hrs played and am still going strong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

El Mero Mero posted:

It is for the prices it keeps getting discounted to. The Star Fox content is well integrated and the game is really pretty visually.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

God loving god drat it this is why I took a break from dark souls.

gently caress you smough.

gently caress you ornstein.

Fuuuuuuuucking Jesus Christ!!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

Solid B-grade game in a genre we don't see that much of right now - and probably the best Starfox game since 64. Full price it wouldn't be worth it but at $20 it's a bargain.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

you can do it!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

I've written about Starlink on several occasions.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As for a description of the game, it's super-chill. There's no real challenge, especially with the options given to you in the in the Digital versions and with the extra lives you get. It's really just zooming around a generic looking planet, that is largely non-interactive while blowing up enemies. Each planet has something like 30-40 things to unlock on them that makes unimportant numbers go up. This isn't a great description and you'd think the game would be boring. And I suppose it is? But the gameplay is fun enough and it's just nice to swoop about blowing people up. The space battles are pretty good and can feel genuinely hectic as you're finally flying in a 3D space, but even then there's no real challenge. But it is a nice experience. It's been the perfect long-day at work game to just jump into, ram into some mooks, blowing them up, as I slowly drift off to sleep. Smash and Splatoon are too high-pressure and I know that when I play them tired I just gently caress things up. This game definitely is the opposite of that.

For the price it's offered it's a nice get, especially if you like Star Fox, it does a decent job of being that somehow. Not the on-rails portion but being a space adventure with all the charm of those characters intact.

This may not seem like a glowing review but I genuinely like the game. It's very relaxing to play and I look forward to getting back to it after the April update. I have Okami to beat before then, and while it's nice the combat is killing my interest. It just feels very tacked on and it's not even that good to begin with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Frankston posted:

Dark Souls online seems pretty barren, and I've changed the settings to global.

I'm pretty sure the remaster wasn't hugely popular, and the Switch version was delayed on top of that.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This is the only boss fight that made me summon help -- Solaire made it a lot more manageable.

The rest of the game is relatively smooth sailing after S&O, though.

Your Computer posted:

you can do it!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've beaten Dark Souls seven or eight times, and Ornstein and Smough still give me trouble every single time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

El Mero Mero posted:

It's fun in short bursts, because I hate excel spreadsheet games.

If you love excel spreadsheet games, you'll really like it.

But don't buy it until it's on sale. I got the huge StarFox bundle for $22 at Best Buy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Solaire is so funny on that fight. Sometimes he last about 10 seconds, sometimes he just straight up solo's one of them before you get a chance to get a clean hit in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It is for the prices it keeps getting discounted to. The Star Fox content is well integrated and the game is really pretty visually.

Are the sales just the physical copies or does the digital version go on sale a bunch too? I'd rather not have to deal with a bunch of toys while playing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Don't give up, Skeleton!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FirstAidKite posted:

Are the sales just the physical copies or does the digital version go on sale a bunch too? I'd rather not have to deal with a bunch of toys while playing.

Wait for the deluxe to go on sale again. It was on sale on the eshop for $40 when it's usually like $80, so I imagine closer to the expansion release it'll be on sale again. That's what I'm waiting for.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

Love Starlink, scratches a weird itch for me and's pretty

DLC coming/came out with the rest of the Starfox team too, and another quest with Pigma apparently

Spellman posted:

Starlink Warmposting:

I've fully completed two planets, mostly while listening to podcasts, or talking on voice chats. It's got a lot of repetitive game mechanics, but you don't need to engage with all of them to be successful. Realistically, you could just marathon the story and have a pretty enjoyable experience, but what really makes this game worth the $60 is playing through the side missions and grinding for good mods to amp up your ship

Fortunately, just about anything you do in this made is an acquisition method for mods. Doing prospector/observatory/Starlink missions, raiding ruins, hacking drakes, finding cargo from crashed ships, finding poo poo to sell, killing outlaws, breaking hives--it's deceptive because you might first come into the game thinking that doing prospector missions is the only efficient way to get mods, but it's not

It's a game where you slowly learn the mechanics, and ways to optimize your efficiency, but as you play, things become second-nature to the point where it can get boring. However, it's fun to play when you're trying to pay attention to other poo poo, because neither takes away from the other, and can occupy your bored hands in a pretty environment. The game looks, sounds, and feels great to play, and the VO is pretty good. Definitely a niche but I feel I understand it. Each planet is like a trip through beautiful concept art, and you can just relax and bang out tasks

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ubisoft loves to have deep sales, yeah.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bleck posted:

I've beaten Dark Souls seven or eight times, and Ornstein and Smough still give me trouble every single time.

DS1 is the only one I haven’t really tried. Is the boss harder than soloing all of DS2-3 and BB and all the DLCs?

I feel like after beating the orphan of kos and gael solo that I’d be fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

DS1 is the only one I haven’t really tried. Is the boss harder than soloing all of DS2-3 and BB and all the DLCs?

I feel like after beating the orphan of kos and gael solo that I’d be fine.

You'll be fine, and if you can beat that boss there is absolutely nothing in the game of comparable difficulty. The issue is its a twin-enemy boss that has two phases that are fully distinct; any damage you deal to the one you don't kill in the first phase is regenerated, and the second phase is full of insta-kill attacks.

Its enough of a difficulty spike in an otherwise soothing and relatively easy game that it gives me pause to replay the game and its my favorite in the franchise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe if there were two Ornsteins and two Smoughs in the fight it would be comparable to Orphan of Kos

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

So I git Spintires and had a quick run through the tutorial and it seems well adapted to the Switch. Not sure how hectic it will get but it looks like it will be a good ol time. Basically what I'm saying is European/American Truck Simulator when?!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Andrast posted:

Maybe if there were two Ornsteins and two Smoughs in the fight it would be comparable to Orphan of Kos

Ok cool, actually I think I’ll just play Bloodborne again anyways because it’s the best game of all time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kart Barfunkel posted:

guy_takes_champagne_cork_to_the_balls.mpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

Ok cool, actually I think I’ll just play Bloodborne again anyways because it’s the best game of all time.

I have this exact thought maybe once a week