Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hollow Knight was patched into a bad game with 2 ridiculous loving bosses now, too. :smith:

The aesthetic and gameplay are great in it, but holy poo poo it falls apart in long not fights where there's no window to use the really slow heal, especially with the boss that does two health pips with every hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've spent a lot of time reading reviews and descriptions of Metroidvanias in an attempt to find the "good" ones. Too much time. What I have learned is that nobody can agree on this. I was going to say maybe Hollow Knight is an exception, but the post above me saw to that. To this day, I still don't know what the good ones are.

edit: I actually thought this was the Steam thread, so I dunno why I even posted this here

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 9, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've spent a lot of time reading reviews and descriptions of Metroidvanias in an attempt to find the "good" ones. Too much time. What I have learned is that nobody can agree on this. I was going to say maybe Hollow Knight is an exception, but the post above me saw to that. To this day, I still don't know what the good ones are.

ori and hollow knight are both very good and people were just making the obvious jokes

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

This is the free games thread so if you want talk about metroidvanias you have to talk about Hero Core or Lyle in Cube Sector or something.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

There is one clear best Metroidvania, and it's An Untitled Story.

Wuppo gets honorable mention.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

edit: I actually thought this was the Steam thread, so I dunno why I even posted this here

The recent Strider remake is loving fantastic. Shadow Complex was also really good.

Very different vibe but amazing art - Aquaria is technically a Metroidvania and utterly beautiful and great.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 9, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Iconoclasts and Timespinner are both good, but honestly you’re best served by just going back and playing SOTN and the GBA/DS Igavanias from Aria onward.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No indie Metroidvania has ever come close to the heights of the good Metroids/Castlevania imo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No indie Metroidvania has ever come close to the heights of the good Metroids/Castlevania imo.

:hmmyes:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
but what if... Metroid... Bad?

Castlevania too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hollow Knight was good until I finished the game and googled if there were other endings.

Turns out there are but nothing in the game tells you about them and they're gated behind bosses that are unnecessarily hard and a meat boy area.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Len posted:

Hollow Knight was good until I finished the game and googled if there were other endings.

Turns out there are but nothing in the game tells you about them and they're gated behind bosses that are unnecessarily hard and a meat boy area.

To be fair almost every Castlevania game has a true ending with pretty esoteric requirements so they’re just copying the masters

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

More Epic store giveaways.

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1098613434105630720

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played 2 and a half hours of Thimbleweed Park this evening and I like it! I wasn't expecting it to grab me, but it's fun. I could do with fewer of the extremely blatant 4th wall breaking self-referential jokes though. Game really likes to bash you over the head with them and it detracts from the atmosphere overall I think.

Axiom Verge is a big meh though. I killed 2 bosses and explored some more and I think that'll probably be enough for me.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 21, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Iconoclasts and Timespinner are both good, but honestly you’re best served by just going back and playing SOTN and the GBA/DS Igavanias from Aria onward.

Ignore Order of Ecclesia as it's the very worst of the Castlevanias

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Victory Position posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Victory Position posted:

No.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bardeh posted:

I played 2 and a half hours of Thimbleweed Park this evening and I like it! I wasn't expecting it to grab me, but it's fun. I could do with fewer of the extremely blatant 4th wall breaking self-referential jokes though. Game really likes to bash you over the head with them and it detracts from the atmosphere overall I think.

The game literally has an option to disable annoying in-jokes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Oh. I haven't even looked in the options menu. Nevermind, it's not enough for me to stop playing or anything.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Play Order of Ecclesia as it's the very best of the Castlevanias

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Still very fond of Portrait myself

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

There is one clear best Metroidvania, and it's An Untitled Story.

Wuppo gets honorable mention.

Wuppo! love wuppo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Still very fond of Portrait myself

I feel like Portrait gets a bad rap but it’s quite fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What draws people into a metroidvania game varies from person to person so something like Ori can be viscerally republsive if the thing it does to differentiate itself is not the sort of thing you like.

Guy Mann posted:

Yet that doesnt turn off the games awful ending.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Yet that doesnt turn off the games awful ending.

Both Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island are series that have had plots and endings that were meta fourth wall breaks about the fact that they were video games so you're about three decades too late to complain about a Ron Gilbert game featuring them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There is a disturbing lack of Cave Story in the recent discussions.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Are those games currently free somewhere? Please post a link. Otherwise go make a metroidvania thread.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Both Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island are series that have had plots and endings that were meta fourth wall breaks about the fact that they were video games so you're about three decades too late to complain about a Ron Gilbert game featuring them.

I think you'll find that thanks to Time Travel there is a cave in France that contains my lengthy discourse on why I think its a terrible method of plot resolution. Sadly my handwriting is a bit poo poo so it looks like a bit some men hunting buffalo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Warbird posted:

This is the thread for free games that used to be not free, not free games that are now commercial products.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Guy Mann posted:

This is the thread for free games that used to be not free, not free games that are now commercial products.

Free games that used to be free and then became not free but were also still free the whole time.

The fan translation is the superior version in any case! The Nicalis version stumbles over itself trying to be different from the fan translation, but it just comes across as a lot less succinct.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Warbird posted:

Because Cave Story isn't a Metroidvania.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If we are discussing free metroidvanias I would highly suggest Another Metroid 2 Remake which is a remake of Metroid 2 (which I haven't played). It's extremely good.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Antisquad free here.
Turn-based strategy

no signups, just download
https://freebies.indiegala.com/antisquad/?dev_id=freebies

Meh, reviews are pretty mixed on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/268200/Antisquad/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 28, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Epic Store reminder, Thimbleweed Park is free for 2 more days, then the excellent farming game Slime Rancher goes free on Thursday.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

Epic Store reminder, Thimbleweed Park is free for 2 more days, then the excellent farming game Slime Rancher goes free on Thursday.

Holy crap. Say what you will about the Epic store and its dubious need to exist, but with these 2 games and Edith Finch before that, it's like they want to slowly give away for free all the games that are on my Steam wishlist.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
One the reverse side of things, every game that the Epic store is giving away for free I already bought on steam quite some time ago. Can't be helped I suppose.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I bought Slime Rancher in early access but it's a hell of a good game so I'm happy people are going to get to play it for free.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the real cost you're paying with the epic store is your privacy and data, to an even larger extent than usual. the epic store's privacy policy basically says "your data is now our data and we will spend it on drugs", says they will collect more broad and personally identifiable data, and gives fewer guarantees about your privacy than humble, indiegala, etc. when challenged about it last year the guy in charge of the store got huffy and said "we're giving more money to developers than steam, you guys will have to decide what is anti-consumer for yourselves."

normally this would be kind of whatever, but Epic is also 40% owned by Tencent, which the chinese government has publicly bragged about directly owning a huge chunk of in the past. that plus the laws about chinese companies being 100% forced to turn over any and all information the chinese government asks for, for any reason and without requiring a warrant, means that all of the information you make available to epic can and probably will show up in a CCP database at some point, and the CCP has been caught red handed setting up call banks to run robocall scams and other shady poo poo with the data they harvest from western sources.

personally the tencent connection is what made me unwilling to deal with epic until that privacy junk is fixed, but if you're already using a burner everything or just honestly think your information isn't worth anything because you're super broke or something, then it remains a fine option.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't know whether to tell you to go see exactly how many different things Tencent has invested in or to ask whether you boycott Google and Steam too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tencent have their fingers in literally every digital distribution platform and a stake in roughly half the games industry at this point, but "Tencent is going to steal your credit card info for the Chinese government" is a solid new escalation on that scare tactic.