Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Orochis light attacks are 400ms while most other light attacks are 500ms or the on the slower end, 600ms.

Nuxia also has 400ms light attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you need practice with deflecting, just go into the character move training and select the deflection. It'll cause the enemy to just attack you over and over with the same simple one attack so you can practice dodging or parrying or deflecting or whatever. Then you can switch to the later pages and practice deflecting into a combo or whatever.

The game did not used to have the move training mode, only a simple AI duel which was bad. Use the new move training mode. Its good. It'll help you learn fast.

And if you can't do all the moves in the training mode, then try playing a different hero.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're playing For Honor on console with the 30fps lock it's close to impossible to parry most lights on react.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

exquisite tea posted:

If you're playing For Honor on console with the 30fps lock it's close to impossible to parry most lights on react.

100% why I play on console

Sure my parry game is poo poo vs the PC but eh whatever. Bigger population too.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So Black Prior has been out for a bit, so they're old news. Let's talk about the next hero, who is going to be out in a few months, the giant loving axe Samurai. What are y'all thinking? My guess is either a giant Benkei style warrior monk or a Wokou pirate.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want to play as this guy

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Zzulu posted:

:hmmyes:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's also the possibility that they're going to base him off the folk hero Kintaro.

A giant man baby in his underwear would certainly bring something new to the faction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

So, Dian Wei?

Ah wait Dian Wei used two giant axes, lmao. (Even better)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Been enjoying this casually off the PS Plus freebie, is there anything in the expansion that is absolutely essential?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

^burtle posted:

Been enjoying this casually off the PS Plus freebie, is there anything in the expansion that is absolutely essential?

Marching Fire unlocks all 4 of the Chinese heroes and gives you the 1-2 player arcade mode. Which is like a mini quest mode that has you fighting with a bunch of crazy modifiers, positive and negative, on you and the bad dudes. Breach (castle assault) is free for everyone.

For 15 bux is a good price, arcade mode is fun with a friend. Essential? Not at all.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

There's basically two expansions now. The Marching Fire one buys you the chinese characters and the arcade thing. The "Year 3 pass" buys you the new knight character "black prior" and one yet-to-be-revealed character for each of the other factions. All the characters are also buyable with (a substantial amount of) the ingame currency so the only things that you absolutey have to pay money for are the arcade mode and cosmetics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Considering you can unlock the heroes with not too much effort, its only really for arcade mode.

Which is a sorta fun distraction, but playing it solo is very frustrating. Its super random and after beating 4 levels, getting stuck on an impossible one sucks. You get partial rewards but ehh.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Got it, I'll skip it for now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arcade mode is good for grinding when you accidentally disconnect from multiplayer and get barred from matchmaking for 15 minutes.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I really need to learn a second hero beside Warden. Pick one, please. I'm a creature of habit and keep going back, but I'm boring as gently caress.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fix posted:

I really need to learn a second hero beside Warden. Pick one, please. I'm a creature of habit and keep going back, but I'm boring as gently caress.

Warlord does wrestling moves for finishers if you unlock those. Tiandi screams a lot and kicks.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Fix posted:

Lawbro can ledge anyone from another county.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Fix posted:

Every character is good and fun except valkyrie, aramusha, orochi, kensei, shugoki, william wallace, and warden

Just switch to black prior like everyone else

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

titties posted:

Every character is good and fun except valkyrie, aramusha, orochi, kensei, shugoki, william wallace, and warden

Don't have the steel.

titties
May 10, 2012

Fix posted:

Don't have the steel.

Did you play the single player campaign when you had the game before? If i remember right i got enough steel from completing the campaign on realistic to buy a couple of characters

E: who are you on psn? I will grind steel with you

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nothing personal, but I'm not very good on playing multiplayer. I'm not on mic, I play at erratic times, and often have to wander away in the middle of matches, which is really inconvenient for this game especially. I'm also prone to giving up on games and not playing them for long stretches of time as I go onto the next thing.

Now that you mention it though, I don't think I actually finished the story mode. So I guess I'll do that! Thanks!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

titties posted:

Aramusha is fun :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fix posted:

Nothing personal, but I'm not very good on playing multiplayer. I'm not on mic, I play at erratic times, and often have to wander away in the middle of matches, which is really inconvenient for this game especially. I'm also prone to giving up on games and not playing them for long stretches of time as I go onto the next thing.

Now that you mention it though, I don't think I actually finished the story mode. So I guess I'll do that! Thanks!

Play 1v1 duels then :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What's it take to get level 2 bots in PvE? I suck pretty hard even against the level 1s but I'd like to fight enemies that are a bit more of a challenge while I grind rep/learn new characters.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I do the best with Kensei. Also helps that he has a sidestep attack that is really good, and you can sidestep a ton of poo poo in this game. I'm trying to play Black Prior, but man... just don't get nearly as many kills as I do with Kensei. He feels like he has a really complete moveset, and then I switch over to, say, Warden.. and it feels like he is missing so many attacks from various states.

titties
May 10, 2012

In case anyone missed it, there's a bonus xp event going on for the next couple days. It has its drawbacks though, in that i completed a breach with a character i had never used before, gained 10 levels, and loaded into the next match lobby before the results ended.

Also, is it possible to chain off the black prior's super special counter? I am certain i followed it up once with a fast heavy but I've never been able to do it again

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You automatically do a follow-up swing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

What's it take to get level 2 bots in PvE? I suck pretty hard even against the level 1s but I'd like to fight enemies that are a bit more of a challenge while I grind rep/learn new characters.

You can always go into training and pick the AI level.

As for the auto matched AI to grind points, I think its tied to reputation? Should go up every couple levels or so.

titties
May 10, 2012

Firstborn posted:

You automatically do a follow-up swing

You hit them once after they hit the ground, I mean an additional one after that. I would swear that i fired off a heavy in a seamless combo following the first strike but i was never able to reproduce it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

titties posted:

You hit them once after they hit the ground, I mean an additional one after that. I would swear that i fired off a heavy in a seamless combo following the first strike but i was never able to reproduce it

Go into practice mode and try on bots?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
TENEBRIS :suicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or is the dodge timing against Black Prior's follow-up shield bash pretty drat tight? If I slam dodge the moment I get out of block/injury recovery for the initial attack it will hit me because I dodged too early, but if I hesitate even a moment I also still tend to get hit. By comparison it seems way easier to dodge stuff like Conq shield bash or Fat Man headbutt.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Fatman(Shugoki) headbutt is indeed much slower, so you are right about that being easier to dodge. It’s one if the slowest bashes in the game in fact.

I think BP bash is the same speed as conq, but probably feels faster because everyone is used to conq.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The BP bash that they can do after an opening light attack is totally busted. It comes out quick as hell and has such a quick recovery that even if you do manage to dodge it (it was undodgeable until a patch that came out several weeks after the character came out) they can recover quick enough that punishing with a guard break or dodge attack is not guaranteed.

If they launch the bash from a dodge it's easier to dodge. iirc the dodge window on the BP bash from dodge and the conqueror bash from dodge is the same, but conquerer has a much bigger window of when they can launch the bash after the dodge which means the timing to dodge conqueror's dodge-bash can be a lot more variable. Also the conqueror bash animation has a lot less of a visual tell than the BP one.

I don't think conqueror has the after-attack bash.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Actually I forgot the one thing that really makes BP's light-bash combo stupid. If you put in your input to switch your guard too late (as in, you get hit by the light, then the game receives your input to change your guard direction), the bash is 100% undodgeable. On the other hand, if you guard a little less too late (as in, less than a few frames before the light connects) then you get hit by the light but can dodge the bash. The two cases are basically visually indistinguishable.

Source is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Wbwk959Ag

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 26, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That seems like a problem with the game mechanics, not Black Prior specifically.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I mean, I guess? It's a bug that only affects one move. And the end result is that it feels inconsistent as to whether that move is dodgeable. They should fix it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It probably affects a lot of other stuff too that just isn't as noticeable because it doesn't line up so perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Do we still have a Discord for this?