Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sale on Banksy art posted:

No one ever goes to Shikoku but it is samurai as hell and I’m pretty sure no Chinese has ever set foot there.

Sorry, sprint airlines and jet star fly cheap flights from shanghai to takamatsu.

And you get hipsters who happen to be mainlanders going to the art islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

What's up Japan thread! My partner and I are visiting for 10 days in May, and I'm so drat excited. I've got some questions, hopefully they're not dumb tourist questions(they are, they totally are). Sorry for the bigass effortpost, but here we go.

Our itinerary is as follows:

5/7: land in Tokyo in the evening, hopefully find an onsen to relax at, get some food and depending on how tired/jetlagged we are explore wherever the gently caress our hotel is located.
5/14: take shinkansen to Osaka pretty early, explore
5/16: take shinkansen to Kyoto pretty early, explore
5/18: take shinkansen back to Tokyo pretty early, chill until our flight at approximately 6pm

It's not the optimal schedule, but we're meeting my partner's sister in Osaka and she's hanging with us into Kyoto, so to accommodate that we kind of rearranged our Kyoto/Osaka dates. I know it's not a lot of time in Osaka/Kyoto, but I think we'll be able to do plenty. Plus that leaves more to explore the next time we visit! ...which will be in god knows how long cause med school kind of takes up a lot of time, who knew?

So I have some pretty basic questions, I guess. The first, is the JR Pass, is it 7 days down to the hour you activate it? Like if we activate it at 9am on 5/11, would it expire at 9am on 5/18? Since we're not going to activate it immediately when we land in Tokyo, from what I've read the Suica pass(or whatever the other one is, can't remember the name) is our best bet for public transit in/around the Tokyo area. Can you still ride the shinkansen with the Suica pass? I think doing that would still save us money rather than buying the 14 day JR pass and eating a few extra days, but maybe I'm wrong?

We're interested in trying to stay in a pod hotel as well, cause gently caress it why not. I've only been browsing available options through the Chase Sapphire Rewards page since we're using up all our points there, but are there any pod hotels that have like, couples pods? I don't think it's a big deal if not, just wondering.

I think we're just going to miss the peak cherry blossom season in the areas we're in, is that correct? Is there anywhere we could travel via shinkansen that we could see some pretty trees, preferably just like a day trip?

Any tattoo-friendly onsens in the Tokyo area that anybody recommends? I have enough that it's impossible to cover them up, and I've looked at this site briefly and these seem like pretty cool spots?

I've only skimmed bits of this topic but I want to read a bunch more so I can get more of a feel for different prefectures/etiquette/whatever, but I think I remember Toyoko and Dormy Inns being relatively cheap and decent hotels in Tokyo, is that still true? I've got our places booked in Osaka/Kyoto so I'm just trying to lock down Tokyo.

We're also thinking of doing a bit of shopping while we're there, how much of a pain would it be to purchase a small suitcase or something similar to fill with stuff then mail back to the US? Kind of in the same vein, when we're flying out of Haneda back to the states, is security/customs a huge pain? It's been a decade since I've traveled outside of the US(jesus that's unpleasant to type, I need to travel more) so I am very unfamiliar with, well, pretty much everything at this point, ha!

I'm also visiting a friend and colleague of mine, where she's going to give me a tour of her laboratory and then we're going to go out to dinner. I was thinking a gift would be nice, is there anything traditional that's recommended?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment, but of course recommendations for any and all activities are welcome! Hopefully we won't be too annoying as tourists, only slightly annoying. Thanks in advance!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

youcallthatatwist posted:

When exactly are you coming? And what kind of stuff are you guys interested in, Tokyo is full of stuff to do

Landing 26th evening in Tokyo staying until March 5th before going to Kyoto, then leaving Kyoto going back to Tokyo on the 12th.

Food is nice, so are museums and some light anime weebing. My brother is into dj stuff, I'm a total japan anime weeb but I like visiting historical places and museums besides anime poo poo.

Have the first week in Tokyo decently planned but would happily take recs on food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Kyoto is a little less planned but definitely planning a day trip to Osaka for universal studios. Can only visit so many shrines or temples in Kyoto before we get bored.

Just any must see places or must do things would be nice to squeeze in.

Also weather isn't freezing cold or humdily hot this time of year around 5-15 C?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nanigans posted:

Gotta be honest that I’m a little worried about “the mainlanders” now. :(

Keep in mind most of us posting either have lived in Asia and are annoyed by bad tourists, or in my case I lived in China and going to Japan was my brief yearly escape from the Glorious PRC's 5000 Years of Culture so any time I ran into mainlanders I was especially annoyed.

It's not like a bunch of buzzcuts are going to hold you down and spit on you until you say actually China invented high speed rail or something.

The tour groups are the ones that really ruin everything and they have a limited range. If you see an exasperated 30 something Chinese person holding a flag, go the other direction. Younger Chinese traveling alone or with friends are usually fine other than the ones I was shouting at loving up temples in Angkor.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 23, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
FWIW, I didn't observe any noticeably Asian people acting out during my (short) time in the Tokyo area, even though I went to all these places where badly-behaved mainlanders are supposed to be. Maybe the guy who tried to run the Buddhist medallion scam on me was a mainlander, but I honestly can't tell if an Asian person is Chinese or Japanese or any other ethnicity just by looking at them. I'm not even knowledgeable enough to be a proper bigot!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah my concern is the crush of tour groups arriving on tour buses and not the normal tourists of any stripe. When I was in Tokyo around the same time-frame last year there wasn't any huge crowds at any of the touristy areas I visited but I also wasn't afraid to stomp around in the rain and that might have been a factor.

How much of that crushing tourism hits Hyogo Pref/Himeji? The castle and Mount Shosha being the biggest draws and I have read Kinosaki is a really chill onsen town with not much else going on there (which seems incredibly ideal to me). Basically I'm looking for a place to kill a couple days.

EDIT: went ahead and booked 2 nights at a Kinosaki ryokan.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 24, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shikoku 88 temples and Koya-san are full of French people, lol.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

peanut posted:

Shikoku 88 temples and Koya-san are full of French people, lol.

European mainlanders

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

What's up Japan thread! My partner and I are visiting for 10 days in May, and I'm so drat excited. I've got some questions, hopefully they're not dumb tourist questions(they are, they totally are).

So I have some pretty basic questions, I guess.

• Don't stay in capsule hotels, they are a bad gimmick (or for the drunk/missed-last-train set), especially your first night coming off an overseas flight. you will be exhausted and not sure what time it is at all.
  • Suica is just like the Metro card in NYC or the Oyster in London, it's a way to put a cash balance on a chip-powered card so you can just touch that instead of buying a new paper ticket every time. There are ways to use those on Shinkansen, but your best bet other than the JR pass is to go to the ticket office at a bigger station and purchase specific tickets there.
  • cherry blossoms would be done in May, but it's still spring and beautiful, you'll be fine. (The cherry blossom season is creeping earlier and earlier due to climate change)
  • Buying a new suitcase and sending it home? Should be able to arrange shipment from a Post Office before you leave. Be sure to budget for that.
  • Customs and security is an enormous pain in the rear end...in the United States. You will hate the fact that, after your 11+ hour flight from Japan, you have to take your shoes and belt off and go through security again. But in Japan, no, there's no issues. Just be sure to do the landing/departure forms.
  • If it's a friend/colleague who's Japanese, the gifts that are usually given/received are either personal (something they'd understand and appreciate) or foods/snacks from your hometown (eg chocolates from a local company, etc.) Do some research on "omiyage" and find the closest small, packaged equivalent.

As for recommendations?

• Go to places high in tourist quantity on weekdays if you can, if you want to see Akihabara it's probably better on a Tuesday than on a Saturday.
  • Prepare to walk, even in Tokyo with the train and subway system as thorough as it is. 5+ miles a day is entirely possible. Pack and dress accordingly.
  • May will be a great time to visit -- temperatures into the 70s Fahrenheit, but lower humidity. Bring light jackets, unless the forecast says it'll be cooler than that leading up to your trip.
  • Whatever you're into, Tokyo has two of them. It's an enormous city, and just a bit of searching (or asking) will lead you the right way.
  • Stay near a Yamanote Line station -- Ueno, Tokyo, Shinagawa, Shinjuku. Those are the transit hubs, and you'll have a much better time transiting through there. As well, the days you're thinking of going to Osaka/Kyoto by bullet train, the only stations heading that way in Tokyo are Tokyo and Shinagawa Station. Staying near there might be smart to help make your morning shorter!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not like a bunch of buzzcuts are going to hold you down and spit on you until you say actually China invented high speed rail or something.

They might tho.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Any tattoo-friendly onsens in the Tokyo area that anybody recommends? I have enough that it's impossible to cover them up, and I've looked at this site briefly and these seem like pretty cool spots?

It depends on what you are after. If you just want to take some time to chill and soak in hot water, they should be fine. But if you are after the open-air experience or a ryokan onsen, you'll need to look elsewhere.

If you want the ryokan onsen experience, I liked Kashiwaya Ryokan: https://www.kashiwaya.org/e/feature.htm#onsen. I booked their packaged deal, which included bus ticket, dinner, and breakfast. And I enjoyed all of it, even the 3-hour bus rides. It was nice to just to spend time basically doing nothing after several packed days in Tokyo.

Beyond that, you'll need to look for Ryokan that has a private onsen in the room. There are plenty of them, but none of them will be cheap.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Takaragawa in Gunma is fine with tattoos.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

This probably works more for sento than onsen, but find ~2-3 star rated bathhouses and read the reviews to see if people are complaining about the Yakuza. The closest bathhouse to me in Matsuyama had a bunch of 1 star reviews that were just complaining about criminals and tattoos, but the place was perfectly fine. Admittedly I thought people were exaggerating simply because they were allowing people in with tattoos but lol nope, bunch of dudes with sweet full-body art, and I even saw one guy with face tattoos which is apparently unheard of? Anyways it wasn't sketchy or anything, people were there with their families and kids since everyone appreciates soaking in a hot bath.

Google translate works well enough if you can't read Japanese.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
+1 to the recommendation that you avoid capsule hotels. They're fine if you need them or if you're a broke college student like me,but after the initial wow factor there's nothing that fun or touristy about them.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Landing 26th evening in Tokyo staying until March 5th before going to Kyoto, then leaving Kyoto going back to Tokyo on the 12th.

Food is nice, so are museums and some light anime weebing. My brother is into dj stuff, I'm a total japan anime weeb but I like visiting historical places and museums besides anime poo poo.

Have the first week in Tokyo decently planned but would happily take recs on food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If you guys like museums, I highly recommend the national museum in Ueno park, the Edo-Tokyo museum, and the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum. All of them are great for Japanese history and art content. I've heard Nakano Broadway is good for nerdy stuff if you want to get away from Akihabara. Check out Ameyoko if you're near Ueno, it has great atmosphere for lunch or dinner and a lot of options.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

This probably works more for sento than onsen, but find ~2-3 star rated bathhouses and read the reviews to see if people are complaining about the Yakuza. The closest bathhouse to me in Matsuyama had a bunch of 1 star reviews that were just complaining about criminals and tattoos, but the place was perfectly fine. Admittedly I thought people were exaggerating simply because they were allowing people in with tattoos but lol nope, bunch of dudes with sweet full-body art, and I even saw one guy with face tattoos which is apparently unheard of? Anyways it wasn't sketchy or anything, people were there with their families and kids since everyone appreciates soaking in a hot bath.

Google translate works well enough if you can't read Japanese.

Sento in general are cool with tattoos a lot. Some maybe don’t allow but straight up the majority insofar am I’m aware are explicitly cool with it, and even others probably won’t say poo poo.

This site let’s you search by sento that allow tattoos and there’s at least 150 in Tokyo, so you’re not gonna have trouble finding.

https://sauna-ikitai.com/search?prefecture%5B%5D=tokyo&conditions%5B%5D=rule%23allow_tattoo&ordering=ikitai_counts_desc

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

youcallthatatwist posted:

Check out Ameyoko if you're near Ueno, it has great atmosphere for lunch or dinner and a lot of options.

I appreciate a good troll, but this is bordering on violence.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In my month in Japan it is a beautiful country and places but seriously I don't know why anyone goes to Osaka other than making people look awkwardly at claims Osaka is the food capital of Japan. God it's boring.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lid posted:

In my month in Japan it is a beautiful country and places but seriously I don't know why anyone goes to Osaka other than making people look awkwardly at claims Osaka is the food capital of Japan. God it's boring.

:hai:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
osaka is good and i'd take it over tokyo every time i will not back down

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Osaka is only good for its metro to Kyoto and all the great restaurants in japan are in Tokyo.

The Osaka aquarium is good but that’s about it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Lid posted:

I skipped Osaka to chill in Kyoto longer. Currently in Tokyo and would be bored if I didn't play Go.

EDIT: I guess my point is that Kyoto rocks.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i think tokyo is loving dull and i do my best to spend as little time there as possible. i wish people i knew lived elsewhere.

kyoto does rule i'll fight anyone who says otherwise

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

i think tokyo is loving dull and i do my best to spend as little time there as possible. i wish people i knew lived elsewhere.

kyoto does rule i'll fight anyone who says otherwise

Tokyo isn't dull and you've just adopted a dumb position because you think it makes you sound, iunno something?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

I skipped Osaka to chill in Kyoto longer. Currently in Tokyo and would be bored if I didn't play Go.

you wanna hang out? i'm bored.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Stringent posted:

Tokyo isn't dull and you've just adopted a dumb position because you think it makes you sound, iunno something?

nah. it's the least fun place i've been in japan. too big city. people way less friendly than in other places.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

nah. it's the least fun place i've been in japan. too big city. people way less friendly than in other places.

Well yeah, I can kinda see that. More of a you have to know where to go place I guess.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

like i've enjoyed places i've gone specifically to within tokyo, but as a place to just Be In it's extremely not for me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

like i've enjoyed places i've gone specifically to within tokyo, but as a place to just Be In it's extremely not for me.

Yeah, the miasma of stress is real.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yeah that's probably it.

osaka just feels lighter. i dunno it's largely a vibe thing for me. i'd take inaka over either.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

you wanna hang out? i'm bored.

If you're serious sure. I'm fixing to head back to Asakusa from Nagahara.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

If you're serious sure. I'm fixing to head back to Asakusa from Nagahara.

I'm serious but I'm not leaving Shinjuku.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Takadanobaba is where I usually go if that works?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I can hop on the Yamanote the other way and go to Shinjuku instead.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

I can hop on the Yamanote the other way and go to Shinjuku instead.

Ok, get off at Takadanobaba, what time?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

Ok, get off at Takadanobaba, what time?

Train estimates 16 minutes. So about 7:30.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Even Yokohama feels less stressful than Tokyo, and when I lived in Tokyo it was very obvious.

But yeah, saying Tokyo sucks because you like then inaka is fair.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

Train estimates 16 minutes. So about 7:30.

Alright I'm the white guy with a beard and a blue shirt.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

Alright I'm the white guy with a beard and a blue shirt.

I'm the white dude in a red flannel and a sad excuse for a beard.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i'll be back in Tokyo as of the 28th if ppl wanna hang out

+1 to takadanobaba being a good spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

captkirk posted:

Spent nine days in Kyoto and it was wonderfu with the two best meals of the trip therel. Had phenomenal yakitori here:

https://bluelapisroad.wordpress.com...2337117;-japan/

Sumiyakisosaitoriya Hitomi

And a degustation at Hafuu.

http://hafuu.com/eng_store_honten.html