Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Friends don’t let friends put sugar in cornbread.

The word of god for the people of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Honey is good in corn bread don't @ me

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Shitposting aside everyone who makes cornbread should read this article imo

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

But seriously cornbread is fuckin good as hell

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Flunky posted:

Thank you for linking that!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flunky posted:

Fantastic article.

I make hoe cakes, no one can tell me what to put in those.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How is it that I can never get sausages right? The most basic of basics. I always wind up with weirdly chewy and tough skin. Help!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What's your current method?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

What's your current method?

Well, I've tried various versions of pan frying, george foremaning, sous vide + searing, cut, whole, pricked and not, they all seem to come out the same.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Put them under the... I think Americans call it a broiler? For 15-20 minutes, turning once half way through. It should be foolproof. Alternatively, maybe you need to buy nicer sausages?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Put them under the... I think Americans call it a broiler? For 15-20 minutes, turning once half way through. It should be foolproof.

I'm English ;) So I guess that's the grill?

Bollock Monkey posted:

Alternatively, maybe you need to buy nicer sausages?

I get the same effect with cheap or a variety of expensive ones, so it's gotta assume it's my fault and not the fault of the snosages.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fantastic article.

I make hoe cakes, no one can tell me what to put in those.
Hoecakes are just like improved but simpler cornbread with extra crunchy and definitely A++

I didn't know sweet/unsweet cornbread fell along racial lines-I just thought sweet cornbread was an Upper South/yankee innovation. Here I've always just had unsweet cornbread from white and african american cooks, but I'm in the very deep south.

Jaded Burnout posted:

How is it that I can never get sausages right? The most basic of basics. I always wind up with weirdly chewy and tough skin. Help!
Have you tried poaching them in water for 10-15 min to cook them through and then just crisping them in a pan with a little fat? That's what I usually do and I am satisfied with the result.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Have you tried poaching them in water for 10-15 min to cook them through and then just crisping them in a pan with a little fat? That's what I usually do and I am satisfied with the result.

That's basically the same as the sous vide approach I went with today and didn't work out well. Is an in-water poach going to come out different?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm English ;) So I guess that's the grill?

I get the same effect with cheap or a variety of expensive ones, so it's gotta assume it's my fault and not the fault of the snosages.

Oh good. Yes, the grill, on medium heat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the best hoe cakes you ever had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZAXE3-srfM

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flunky posted:

Pure bullshit, I'm white as hell (North Carolina, just outside of Charlotte) and I was raised on Jiffy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stringent posted:

Pure bullshit, I'm white as hell (North Carolina, just outside of Charlotte) and I was raised on Jiffy.

Yeah, me too. I'm northern, and couldn't be whiter. Totally raised on Jiffy, the cornbread and "blueberry" mix.

I once heard this snarky Black woman on NPR talking about how, "Black people make cornbread, but white people make corn muffins!" I still remember her giggling in amusement at her own statement. Um, no, muffins were for the blueberry mix, but my mom baked the cornbread in a pie plate.

Maybe these distinctions hold more water down South?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Uh, like everyone I know back in my small town Louisiana used Jiffy at home and the church potlucks etc. (Most all white people). Not really sure what that article is about but the only time I really ever ran across unsweetened corn bread was when you started going west into Texas and they were doing beans and cornbread or savory cornbread pancakes etc but seemed more of a tex-mex or hispanic kinda thing than just 'white people'.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stringent posted:

White/savory cornbread might just be a deep/lower south thing regardless of race. I’ve always thought of sweet cornbread as a northern/upper south thing. North Carolina (especially around Charlotte) is practically yankees these days anyway.

E: I’m from south Alabama and it’s mostly white/savory/crunchy cornbread (I love the little sticks) here regardless of race. Someone should make a map like the coke/soda/pop map so you know what kind of cornbread to expect.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 26, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

Uh, like everyone I know back in my small town Louisiana used Jiffy at home and the church potlucks etc. (Most all white people). Not really sure what that article is about but the only time I really ever ran across unsweetened corn bread was when you started going west into Texas and they were doing beans and cornbread or savory cornbread pancakes etc but seemed more of a tex-mex or hispanic kinda thing than just 'white people'.

White, rural Georgia, and it was a mix. Jiffy was pretty consistent, but my relatives would also do an unsweetened cornbread pretty regularly for the potlucks / reunions / etc.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I grew up eating Jiffy (and finding store-bought cornbread disgustingly sweet) but have recently switched to this brand for my lazy day chili accompaniment. It's delicious, probably because it has a shitton of butter added.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

White/savory cornbread might just be a deep/lower south thing regardless of race. I’ve always thought of sweet cornbread as a northern/upper south thing. North Carolina (especially around Charlotte) is practically yankees these days anyway.

E: I’m from south Alabama and it’s mostly white/savory/crunchy cornbread (I love the little sticks) here regardless of race. Someone should make a map like the coke/soda/pop map so you know what kind of cornbread to expect.

I generally associate unsweetened cornbread with the Appalachians. As a kid, we subsisted largely on beans and cornbread, and the latter was often broken up in the former to thicken and add texture.

It's also one of the few things that I make by the recipe, every single time. I'll post it when I get home.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm West coast through and through, but my family is from Illinois. We always had cornbread (like, 2-3 times a week), and it was unsweetened. However, for special occasions, we'd have sweetened corn muffins.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hot take: cornbread isn't tasty enough in the first place to care :boom:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

Look at this person. Look at how wrong they are.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

:stare:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's basically the same as the sous vide approach I went with today and didn't work out well. Is an in-water poach going to come out different?

It definitely comes out different. Which you like better is a matter of taste, but I'd suggest trying it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My cornbread recipe is:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
3 Tbs melted butter
1 egg + 1 yolk - beaten
Lard for skillet greasing

Preheat oven with cast iron skillet inside it to 400 degrees
Mix dry ingredients
Mix in milk, followed by butter, followed by egg
Use a pat of lard to grease the hot skillet
Immediately pour batter into skillet and put back in oven
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden brown

I asked my mom about it earlier today, and she says that while our family typically did unsweetened cornbread, that plenty others in the area did the sweet stuff. It makes me suspicious that a lot of the "White people eat x, Black people eat y" is more about coming up with a topic for a publication, and that people just like good food and arguing about it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Serious question: Are you from outside the US? I'm from the US but lived outside the US for many years. Every American I've met liked or loved cornbread. But almost every non-American hated it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Weltlich posted:

My cornbread recipe is:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
3 Tbs melted butter
1 egg + 1 yolk - beaten
Lard for skillet greasing

Preheat oven with cast iron skillet inside it to 400 degrees
Mix dry ingredients
Mix in milk, followed by butter, followed by egg
Use a pat of lard to grease the hot skillet
Immediately pour batter into skillet and put back in oven
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden brown

I asked my mom about it earlier today, and she says that while our family typically did unsweetened cornbread, that plenty others in the area did the sweet stuff. It makes me suspicious that a lot of the "White people eat x, Black people eat y" is more about coming up with a topic for a publication, and that people just like good food and arguing about it.

IMO, that's a good recipe. Mine uses buttermilk in place of milk, and adds a bit of sugar. Not tons of sugar like Midwesterners do, but just a tiny bit of sweetness.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casu Marzu posted:

I swear to god, I'm gonna start inviting goons to my home so I can cook them food, because there's just no way you've had enough of the different styles and kinds of corn bread to actually believe this.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean I've had potluck cornbread which, were it my first and only exposure, would not encourage a second tasting.

Grab a different cornbread and let the healing begin :unsmith:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cornbread has to be fresh, like still hot from the oven. If you haven't had that, you haven't tried cornbread.

The next day you can toast it and butter it liberally, and it'll be okay, but that still won't approach the glory of its first moments. Eating it cold the next day is awful.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Casu Marzu posted:

Seconding this. The only time I've ever been thankful that corn bread was present at a meal was when someone messed up making chili and it needed to be thickened to avoid being worn on my shirt.
I've had it from mixes, I've had it made from scratch by old southern ladies, I've had it at restaurants that were nice and ones that were nice little hole-in-the-wall places. It has none of the redeeming qualities of corn or actual bread.
The only preparation of corn I've tried that's more disappointing on flavor and baffling in popularity that's common in the US is grits, which I can only assume was invented to feed POWs captured by the south during the US Civil War.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Serious question: Are you from outside the US? I'm from the US but lived outside the US for many years. Every American I've met liked or loved cornbread. But almost every non-American hated it.

I'm European and I like cornbread but only when it's home made.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
hmm depressing opinions on corn bread

what is a decent basic recipe for Thai peanut noodles? probably will fry up tofu and mushrooms to keep it vegetarian but how do i unlock the mysteries of that peanut sauce?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is the general recipe I use for Indonesian style satay sauce:

Creamy peanut butter
Milk
Garlic
Ginger
Dark bown sugar
Sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
Sambal

To make it Thai you can add lime juice for the acidity.

Hope that helps?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

spankmeister posted:

This is the general recipe I use for Indonesian style satay sauce:

Creamy peanut butter
Milk
Garlic
Ginger
Dark bown sugar
Sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
Sambal

To make it Thai you can add lime juice for the acidity.

Hope that helps?

Yes but I still don't understand what order is the best

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

poeticoddity posted:

Seconding this. The only time I've ever been thankful that corn bread was present at a meal was when someone messed up making chili and it needed to be thickened to avoid being worn on my shirt.
I've had it from mixes, I've had it made from scratch by old southern ladies, I've had it at restaurants that were nice and ones that were nice little hole-in-the-wall places. It has none of the redeeming qualities of corn or actual bread.
The only preparation of corn I've tried that's more disappointing on flavor and baffling in popularity that's common in the US is grits, which I can only assume was invented to feed POWs captured by the south during the US Civil War.
Bless your heart.

How long is too long to marinate chicken breasts in an acidic (olive oil and lemon juice and salt and pepper and herbs) marinade? If I forget about it for an extra 24 hours am I going to have bizarre ceviche chicken that’s dried out after I grill it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've marinated a piece of chicken for a week and then grilled it, as long as you use a food thermometer to make sure you don't over cook it you'll be fine.