Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey 3d printing is actually useful you dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

not caring here posted:

Hey 3d printing is actually useful for dicks

Yes we know

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

Where does paying his Belizean housekeeper to poo poo in his mouth rank?

The rankings on "Worst things McAfee has ever done" vary wildly depending on how you rank murder v attempted whalefucking v housekeeper cropophilia. He's an interesting fellow- everyone can agree that his antivirus is number one but then the lists always change from there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

people who bitch about win 10 annoy me

its fine

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's really not

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i can copy and paste into the command prompt now with no issue

all has been fixed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

The only thing worse than military/classified windows systems are military/classified *nix systems. gently caress hp/ux forever. Also solaris.

Solaris loving sucks, but HP/UX ain't all bad. As long as its up to date.

Woof Blitzer posted:

*in annoying idiot voice* Just use Linux

See, here's the funny thing: I'm an InfoSec guy, and an old school Systems Engineer. I love Linux.

But my desktop is still Windows. Because Linux is still better as a server/tool OS. It just ain't there.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's really not

Its as functional and acceptable as 7. With plenty of power user features not available previously. Its just fine.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The rankings on "Worst things McAfee has ever done" vary wildly depending on how you rank murder v attempted whalefucking v housekeeper cropophilia. He's an interesting fellow- everyone can agree that his antivirus is number one but then the lists always change from there.

Here's the thing: McAfee is.....crap. Its about as bad as modern Norton is. McAfee's namesake is not the strength of his infosec skills, but that he invented the Antivirus software idea to begin with. That's about it. He drove state to state installing his antivirus on anyone's machine who would buy it.

https://www.chepicap.com/en/news/3409/cybersecurity-expert-disses-john-mcafee-technically-incompetent-schmuck-.html

John McAfee is the equivalent of an anti-vaxxer: He markets fear, and claims to have the solution. And yeah, he tries to gently caress whales and his girlfriend was someone who tried to kill him, and he's probably a murderer. Like the ReiserFS guy.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 24, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i use my phone for pretty much everything now bc faceID is my favorite thing ever and a mac mini bc i wanted the cheapest way to get the t2 chip to play around with

i have my windows tower that i use now just for plex and to play my modded mgsv save so i can develop all the online only stuff and when i need to do random emulation crap for my projects bc its just way easier than learning osx methods.

i also run win 10 on my arcade cabinet, which runs on an fragile angel's breath of hacks, workarounds, lovely single use applications that i found in the dark corners of github and sourceforge, prayer, and launchbox. i've had to troubleshoot this poo poo for no lie dozens of hours to get it to the almost working state it is now. Never has the issue been because it's Windows 10.

its a stupid anecdote and an edge case but at this point being a win 7 warrior just doesnt make sense

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
For NMCI specifically, the Win10 update broke a ton of poo poo that has taken a long time to sort out. People were having a ton of issues with it not recognizing CACs and printer mapping being AFU. When it's actually working properly it gets up to the level of "acceptable", but it's a huge struggle getting to that point.

And now the latest update they just released broke second monitor capability, so people have been stuck using the little laptop screens.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

And now the latest update they just released broke second monitor capability, so people have been stuck using the little laptop screens.

What? Weird that it hasn't happened to mine, I run triple monitors at the house and double at the office. The only thing Windows 10 has broken so far for me was the Windows/Linux subsystem got overwritten after an update and wiped out my Ubuntu install.

Its also hilarious that Windows Defender is outpacing Norton and McAfee as an antivirus, and they are rolling out sandbox for both user and the antivirus for testing/detonating files. Defender is better than McAfee at this point.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CommieGIR posted:

What? Weird that it hasn't happened to mine, I run triple monitors at the house and double at the office. The only thing Windows 10 has broken so far for me was the Windows/Linux subsystem got overwritten after an update and wiped out my Ubuntu install.

Not Win10 in general. I'm talking about the hosed up mil-spec version of it that the Navy uses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not Win10 in general. I'm talking about the hosed up mil-spec version of it that the Navy uses.

Ah, that's likely the Navy loving up their packaging. I remember when I was in USAF, they broke an update that caused it to crash the Nvidia drivers over, and over on reboot.

Because what's QA and UAT testing? gently caress it, we'll do it in prod.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

ahhhhh kk

i was about to say

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
So your issue isn't win10 but the fact that you're still in.

SMDFTB

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, Win10 on my personal computer has been delightful, no complaints there.

e: ^^^ that too

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh poo poo you all bitching about NMCI? Never served but goddamn I hate Navy IT with a passion (sorry lingcod)

I’m a contractor supervising other contractors doing contractor things on a navy base. Half our team is off site working remotely at non-Navy (but government) facilities on any given day. Remote access with our navy laptops is vital.

A recent win 10 patch broke like half our machines. They technically work but reboot every half hour to hour. I got told I was crazy by NMCI a bunch until I pulled up some patch management thing I found by googling my issue* and saw that the patch was stuck in a limbo of broken verification. The dude on the other end was baffled and is having someone come out to my office sometime next week. This is not idea for our offsite workers, as hanging around the base for a week makes doing their jobs kind of impossible.

*googled using what ever browser NMCI lets me use today. Yesterday it was chrome, now that’s uninstalled and I need Firefox, tomorrow I’ll probably be back to chrome. If it’s a bad day I’ll be on IE. Not Edge, IE.

Bookmarks? Why would a person need those?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

people complaining about win10 is like people complaining that MTV has no music videos now

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh poo poo you all bitching about NMCI? Never served but goddamn I hate Navy IT with a passion (sorry lingcod)

I’m a contractor supervising other contractors doing contractor things on a navy base. Half our team is off site working remotely at non-Navy (but government) facilities on any given day. Remote access with our navy laptops is vital.

A recent win 10 patch broke like half our machines. They technically work but reboot every half hour to hour. I got told I was crazy by NMCI a bunch until I pulled up some patch management thing I found by googling my issue* and saw that the patch was stuck in a limbo of broken verification. The dude on the other end was baffled and is having someone come out to my office sometime next week. This is not idea for our offsite workers, as hanging around the base for a week makes doing their jobs kind of impossible.

*googled using what ever browser NMCI lets me use today. Yesterday it was chrome, now that’s uninstalled and I need Firefox, tomorrow I’ll probably be back to chrome. If it’s a bad day I’ll be on IE. Not Edge, IE.

Bookmarks? Why would a person need those?

Oh I'm not bothered by it. I'm on the physical end of the contract setting up networks and users machines before they are on site. I'm long gone by the time they start trying to "work". Suckers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

If y'all use Windows 10, check this poo poo out.

Removes like 99% of Windows bloat and telemetry fuckery. Read the documentation, works straight from Windows ISE.

Going back a bit, but how well does this work? Is it going to make my computer run better, or is it worth it just to disable the Windows fuckery going on in the background?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tythas posted:

It's me I'm the idiot, i got out of the airforce, hated it, and then went right back to work for them as an IT contractor for USAF at the pentagon, hated it, and then got a job with Army Cyber :psyduck: why am I like this?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I hope you're on the computer touching side of that org.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tythas posted:

It is don't worry

Still better in industry

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

redneck nazgul posted:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I hope you're on the computer touching side of that org.

thankfully yes I am

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, that's likely the Navy loving up their packaging. I remember when I was in USAF, they broke an update that caused it to crash the Nvidia drivers over, and over on reboot.

Because what's QA and UAT testing? gently caress it, we'll do it in prod.

Concurrent development: Good enough for the F-35, good enough for a million+ workstations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Still better in industry

depends on the area. my job in the bay area would be done by mildly trained monkey only asking for minimum wage.

do the same thing in a mil environment with a clearance and you get $30+

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Icon Of Sin posted:

Going back a bit, but how well does this work? Is it going to make my computer run better, or is it worth it just to disable the Windows fuckery going on in the background?

Both. Performance hit is minimal, but starts are going to be faster, and gently caress them tracking your usage on a product for which you paid.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

If y'all use Windows 10, check this poo poo out.

Removes like 99% of Windows bloat and telemetry fuckery. Read the documentation, works straight from Windows ISE.

Awww poo poo it removes Skype. That's a solid yes from me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wasabi the J posted:

Both. Performance hit is minimal, but starts are going to be faster, and gently caress them tracking your usage on a product for which you paid.

Man, Win10 already starts up faster than I can take my shoes off so any gains in that sense are pretty much irrelevant.

Whereas a thumb drive that promised to get rid of all the Macafee poo poo and all the other bloatware on a military computer is probably the best opportunity to turn a lot of people into a Russian spy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm just not in the mood to reinstall. Saving it for later though.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Has anyone talked about tryin to use ArcGIS in a job that loving requires ArcGIS and has for at least a decade and a half? Zooming in on a map should not take a full five minutes to process. One setting wrong? Enjoy a week of mysterious crashing before anyone can figure out what the poo poo is wrong!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CherryCola posted:

Has anyone talked about tryin to use ArcGIS in a job that loving requires ArcGIS and has for at least a decade and a half? Zooming in on a map should not take a full five minutes to process. One setting wrong? Enjoy a week of mysterious crashing before anyone can figure out what the poo poo is wrong!

That's just ArcGIS though, not government computers.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

It's gotten better and more stable.

It went from "crashing upon boot" to "able to take a smoke break while it renders" in about five years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Man, Win10 already starts up faster than I can take my shoes off so any gains in that sense are pretty much irrelevant.

Whereas a thumb drive that promised to get rid of all the Macafee poo poo and all the other bloatware on a military computer is probably the best opportunity to turn a lot of people into a Russian spy.

Well a lot of the windows startups are happening in the background after login; if you run a steam box or need PCs to launch in a kiosk mode, you're gonna notice the speed launching the thing we want. Additionally, none of those background processes are going to waste writes to Temp, which you will occasionally notice hit your performance.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CherryCola posted:

Yea that’s every computer I’ve ever used ArcGIS on. I ended up changing the settings of what renders at which zoom level, but that can only go so far. I had a ton of sonar and magnetic data to try and collate, and the magnetic data wasn’t nearly as dense as a LIDAR cloud...but it was a pretty good effort :suicide:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ArcGIS Pro is better, though that's going to be bound to what computer you're using, and the Windows install. That said I've never used it on a government computer which goes a long way towards ruining everything.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I was an intern working for the state of N.C., at a branch that’s largely forgotten and most people don’t even know exists. Thankfully my study area was small, but that’s little consolation when I’m using LiDAR data into creating a topographic map, and looking for shipwrecks based on the results. The laser penetrated the water juuuuuust enough to pick up the sand ripples in shallow water, and the thought was that if my contour interval was tuned right, I could pick up a sharp vertical relief and check to see if it was a ship’s hull. It was...a good thought, and hilariously resource intensive. :(

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CherryCola posted:

You'll be happy(?) to know that Arc's main competitor, MapInfo, is exactly as bad at crashing and changing zoom levels. The latest version basically assumes your'e loading your data from an SSD and tries to render it with that in mind, so if you are, you're going to have a better time, but if you're loading off a regular platter, or satan help you a network source with a slow connection, your professional life will be a misery.

I use QGIS when I'm consulting, it's basically Arc only free. It doesn't really do anything Arc doesn't do, but it's open source.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Memento posted:

You'll be happy(?) to know that Arc's main competitor, MapInfo, is exactly as bad at crashing and changing zoom levels. The latest version basically assumes your'e loading your data from an SSD and tries to render it with that in mind, so if you are, you're going to have a better time, but if you're loading off a regular platter, or satan help you a network source with a slow connection, your professional life will be a misery.

I use QGIS when I'm consulting, it's basically Arc only free. It doesn't really do anything Arc doesn't do, but it's open source.

Going to de-lurk here for a sec as I have to use this trash far to often. Give Global Mapper a try, it's not free but it's stupid cheap, and it handles large lidar sets very well.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I used to think the airforce did dumb things, working for the army i am not sure how you guys got things done. so part of the army (Inscom) now requires you to get the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certificate just to work on their network, however ARCYBER just requires you to take the skillport training. I work in a building that I have to deal with both networks :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Air Force is but the apprentice, and the army is the master.