Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

Is anyone picking up Dirt Rally 2.0 tomorrow?

I got the expensive version a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

I got the expensive version a few days ago.

:yeah:

That is my plan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

my hope is frogwares's upcoming cthulhu game is good, but it's been delayed once again so signs are not so good

Rip I'm still looking forward to it but it also seemed way more ambitious than their usual stuff so I'm not surprised

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sinking City was scheduled for next month until recently but is now listed as just 2019. Plus it was originally meant for a 2018 release, so we're well past normal delays at this point.

It's a shame, Frogwares seems like cool people generally but they seem to have gotten over-ambitious

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i appreciate that with sly 2's shift to having bentley and murray as playable characters they also kind of made sly a bit more flawed to balance out their dynamics a bit

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I would be getting Dirt Rally 2.0, but I've already got Forza Horizon 4 on my backlog and my brains telling me that I don't need another driving game right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What's a good peaceful city builder if I just want to have a chill time growing an aesthetically pleasing city? Non-modern setting would probably be better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

What's a good peaceful city builder if I just want to have a chill time growing an aesthetically pleasing city? Non-modern setting would probably be better.

It's modern but cities skyline is the best sim city in ages

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

Dwarf Fortress :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

non modern city builders almost always either focus on the hardships of living or are actually econ-strategy games like anno, rather than be simcity style sandboxes

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I played the free play section of Anthem and had fun farting around as Iron Man.

My dude continued to play the normal mission stuff and inventory crap.

IDK, it doesn't seem like the worst thing ever. It's not for me, but I don't get the visceral hate it's receiving. It just seems like a normal moder spaceman shooty game (read: not DOOM).

5/10 - hitting rhinoceroses with lightning is fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whenever this one comes out maybe it willbe it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzVgQTj_zI

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I played the free play section of Anthem and had fun farting around as Iron Man.

IDK, it doesn't seem like the worst thing ever. It's not for me, but I don't get the visceral hate it's receiving. It just seems like a normal moder spaceman shooty game (read: not DOOM).

5/10 - hitting rhinoceroses with lightning is fun

Like a lot of online heavy games the core gameplay may be alright but it eventually hits a point where the monetization becomes hard to avoid and you have to grind to get anywhere.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

chumbler posted:

anno 1404

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Like a lot of online heavy games the core gameplay may be alright but it eventually hits a point where the monetization becomes hard to avoid and you have to grind to get anywhere.

Ohhhhhh. So it eventually leans HARD into being Destiny.

Well I still liked the free roam bit. Lady Iron Thor is a fun gimmick.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, much like Fallout 76, it's a game that doesn't do any of the stuff the developer is known for. Like yeah, modern Bioware is almost completely unrelated to even DA1-era Bioware, but I think people expect a lot from them regardless.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also, much like Fallout 76, it's a game that doesn't do any of the stuff the developer is known for. Like yeah, modern Bioware is almost completely unrelated to even DA1-era Bioware, but I think people expect a lot from them regardless.

Fallout 76 offers exactly what Bethesda is known for, distilled down to it's purest essense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

People are being extra hard on it because it's coming from Bioware, a name that used to carry a lot of weight in the industry, and with the expectation that there's a lot riding on this game because they've released some duds recently and EA has a habit of taking studios out to big farm upstate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think my one complaint with sly 2 is that a few missions feel like they really lack polish and too many of the early game gadgets are kind of worthless

thankfully iirc all of the worst missions are in the level i just beat

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, if you enjoy Bioware's awful writing there's still plenty of that poo poo in Anthem.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Fallout 76 offers exactly what Bethesda is known for, distilled down to it's purest essense.

I'd argue they removed everything people actually want from a Bethesda game, and distilled it down to their worst parts.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

chumbler posted:

There's Banished, but I don't know that I'd call it chill.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

there is a difference between image and reality. people see bethesda games as fun power fantasy rpgs where you get to be a big hero and do quests. or as a platform for gently caress mods, i guess. but it doesn't have that, it doubles down on the gameplay, which people have never really loved to begin with

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

there is a difference between image and reality. people see bethesda games as fun power fantasy rpgs where you get to be a big hero and do quests. or as a platform for gently caress mods, i guess. but it doesn't have that, it doubles down on the gameplay, which people have never really loved to begin with

No, it actually breaks it down into even worse base components than the last game, stretching poo poo out to fit a MMORPG setting and its proved even to the most die hard fan, one way or another, that you can reduce game play so much that you break your own little addictive loop completely. Also how poo poo it is to be solely at Bethesda's mercy without an active mod community.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

World of Keflings

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anno 1404 looks interesting and cheap, so I may give that one a shot.

Free build mode in Subnautica has gotten me in the mood for various types of building games without a bunch of grinding now. I want to make things that look cool without a lot of busy work.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Anno series might not be the exact thing you’re looking for, since it’s more interested in efficiency and stuff like supply routes than aesthetics. They’re fun games though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The whole drug trade overarching plot of sly 2 is cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_Pjj-xTgw

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still have really fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. It was the first game I ever did roleplaying in. It was really fun in that regard. I know there are better games for that these days like Divinity, but for some reason those have never grabbed my interest enough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I liked DA:O too, but Pillars of Eternity is the superior Baldur's Gate successor, especially Deadfire.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its boring while dos is good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

skyrim has a skill that ragdolls enemies away and it's hilarious. all games should have a goofy ragdoll attack imo, it was hilarious in chaos theory and it's still hilarious now

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I liked DA:O too, but Pillars of Eternity is the superior Baldur's Gate successor, especially Deadfire.

:yeah:

Especially role-playing wise, lots of different dialogue opportunities.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its boring while dos is good

DOS 2 is hilariously broken with tons of useless mechanics and Bethesda levels of role-playing options. It can certainly be fun, but idk if I'd say pillars is boring in comparison when DOS combat becomes stale before you finish the starting area.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Textboxes for eternity

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is something just supposed to kind of click eventually in Spelunky because I keep dying to what feels like dumb bullshit or feel compelled to restart almost immediately because I'll get hit super early into a run. I'm still in the mines and it doesn't feel like I'm getting better. It honestly feels like I'm wrestling with the controls a lot, it's very squirrely and the character will often grab ledges I don't expect (or the exact opposite) and even though I can see what moves I need to pull off to get rid of a spider or two in my way actually pulling it off is a hassle.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Accordion Man posted:

Sure, but is that even a fair comparison. Would we have seen PoE/Deadfire or D:OS if DA:O hadn't come out and reminded us/publishers that cRPGs were good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah probably