Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

seems weird to say that people don't read Nietzsche for his prose, but then again you guys are discussing Ayn Rand like anyone other than guys from free market thinktanks actually reads her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

A human heart posted:

seems weird to say that people don't read Nietzsche for his prose, but then again you guys are discussing Ayn Rand like anyone other than guys from free market thinktanks actually reads her.

I remember years ago someone compiled what kids at various universities listed as their favorite books on Facebook. At Stanford like 3 of the top 10 were Ayn Rand books. Lol.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, I think the books are so bad that makes them somehow more appealing as philosophy tomes. I mean if you try to read Thus Spake Zarathustra as a novel you'd be like "this is bad worldbuilding" and "this prose isn't very good" or "it has no map" and "it was a Zoroastrian prophet in three parts".

What about the magic system?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

But this is the result of that. They grew up consuming Lord of the Rings and similar, and now aim to create the next great fantasy series, or are creating a cargo-cult style "tributes" to it. It's like how with tabletop roleplaying games they've got the term "fantasy heartbreaker" to describe all the two-bit D&D "Greyhawk" ripoffs cooked up by somebody who thinks they're going to be the next Garry Gygax.

Eg, Jim Butcher allegedly only wrote the first Dresden Files book because his creative writing teacher asked him to please try writing something that wasn't a epic fantasy LOTR ripoff.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

video game writing is a continual source of depression for me because i really want it to be good and it never is

uh excuse me friend but visual novels are both games and literature.

lofi posted:

Why is that, though? Why isn't there a demand (and supply) for games with better writing? There are a couple (Obrah Dinn, What Remains of Edith Finch), but they're the vanishing minority.

Is it because of how much sales are based around adverts and reviews? I can see how that would push graphics over content, compared to books' more word-of-mouth (if that's still true) promotion.

It's because the primary markets for video games are children, who won't understand good writing, and manchildren, who are moved to tears by the tragic death of the guy with the skull mask in Modern Warfare 2.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

lofi posted:

Why is that, though? Why isn't there a demand (and supply) for games with better writing? There are a couple (Obrah Dinn, What Remains of Edith Finch), but they're the vanishing minority.

Is it because of how much sales are based around adverts and reviews? I can see how that would push graphics over content, compared to books' more word-of-mouth (if that's still true) promotion.

Video games are for children.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

poisonpill posted:

History is full of things that you couldn’t put into a novel because they’d come across as too cheesy and improbable. This weirdo’s brick-sized novels were so good they became hailed as the philosophical manifestos of the country’s legislature fifty years later?!?!?

Yeah, it sounds like... something out of her books

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

lofi posted:

When did sales move to adverts and reviews?
From what I can tell game sales are very sequel focused.
And as most series were started during times when people assumed that the best possible game is a movie sold on Steam, current (mainstream) games are written by people who couldn't hack it as even pulp tv writers.

Movies seem to be the most advert focused entertainment, much more then games.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The major issue with video game writing at the moment isn’t with the target audience, it is that Western game developers are all Gen-Xers who want to make movies but weren’t able to hack it so they washed up in video games instead and they all think that “even a dad with a beard can be sad” is the most profound commentary on human nature imaginable.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
The problem I have with the writing and stories in most video games is that story and gameplay are almost always treated as separate entities, which definitely often makes it feel like the devs really wanted to make films but didn’t have the skill to do it. The stories in most video games would be much better, imo, if you removed it from the constraints imposed upon them by being a video game.

Off the top of my head, the only video game I can think of where the story is actually improved by being told in a video game is Shadow of the Colossus; it wouldn’t have nearly the same emotional effect to merely watch a movie or read a book following the storyline of the game—having to step into the Wanderer’s shoes and be an active participant in slaying the Colossi drives home first the sense of massive accomplishment, and then the guilt as it becomes more readily obvious that you’re actually doing a terrible thing.

Then again, SotC is a game that actually has at least one developed theme (the lengths people will go to for love), so it’s already got a leg up on the overwhelming majority of video games out there.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

they all think that “even a dad with a beard can be sad” is the most profound commentary on human nature imaginable.

They’re right, though. All major works of literature is based on bearded dads being sad. Beowulf, the Bible, Brothers Karamazov, and Ulysses all feature sad, bearded dads. Once video games reached childhoods end, bearded dads became necessary. Comic book movies reached bearded dad phase with Logan, and are also now officially Art.

*updates troper wiki, hand hovered over button to move anime from “not art” to “Art” category*

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A human heart posted:

I dont know if they actually read her books but lots of powerful white men have been Rand fans e.g. Paul Ryan, Peter Thiel, Alan Greenspan so her stupid ideas have contributed to loads of bad stuff, Objectivism is a very real threat to human existence

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

is Edith Finch good bc its on sale on PSN rn

Yeah it’s dope

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i enjoyed the last of us but the existence of the Sad Dad period of big-budget videogames is extremely funny

bunch of artists mired in middle-age straining to lens their anxieties through the only genre they understand, and certainly the only genre they're allowed to make: goofy macho ultraviolence

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

sotc was good but I was playing titan souls this week and really feel like that general aesthetic (which also runs through e.g. dark souls) has become somewhat exhausted

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Peel posted:

sotc was good but I was playing titan souls this week and really feel like that general aesthetic (which also runs through e.g. dark souls) has become somewhat exhausted

What aesthetic are we talking about? Other than scale and a general sense of decline I can’t really see much aesthetic similarity between SotC and something like Dark Souls.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem is that few writers acknowledge video games as a divergent media form and fail to adapt what they do with it.

They either write it like a movie or like a book, and both are failures of the form.

I argue one of the few games that wrote for an video game with acknowledgement of the video game as a medium is Deadly Premonition

Check out Return of the Obra Dinn

Oh I should have read a few posts down uh checkout Chrono Trigger? I dunno

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 24, 2019

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
The thing you have to understand about video game sis that they are a reaction to the atomic bomb.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

I dont know if they actually read her books but lots of powerful white men have been Rand fans e.g. Paul Ryan, Peter Thiel, Alan Greenspan so her stupid ideas have contributed to loads of bad stuff, Objectivism is a very real threat to human existence

it's true that a small number of rich shitheads and policy wonks like her but i think her influence on, for example, the republican party, is probably overstated. like you don't need to be an objectivist to think that free marketism is cool, and her ideology is weird in pretty specific ways that a lot of free market guys don't seem particularly attached to.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

A human heart posted:

it's true that a small number of rich shitheads and policy wonks like her but i think her influence on, for example, the republican party, is probably overstated. like you don't need to be an objectivist to think that free marketism is cool, and her ideology is weird in pretty specific ways that a lot of free market guys don't seem particularly attached to.

Paul Ryan at least has repeatedly talked about her. Ron Paul, Trump, Rand Paul as well. I doubt they really understand Objectivism, they just took the message that capital should be able to do whatever the gently caress what it wants, but they love to cite her as an influence.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I will stand up for the Mother series as good video-game writing, but almost all its successors have taken the wrong message ("be wacky and also sad / explicitly reference the player") from it instead of the actual reason it's any good ("get a writer who has chops in non-video-game writing, make sure he actually has guiding ideas in mind").

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This is a great twitter thread. @SamSykesSwears "you ever pretend to be a surly tradesperson while you’re writing? Like goin’ all: “phew, there’s your problem. These characters got no motivation. I can fix ‘er for ya, but it’ll take two...maybe three weeks?” https://twitter.com/SamSykesSwears/status/1100096851930275841

And they proceed to talk about writing like its plumbing, where you tweak a few valves and rotate a few nobs and the toilet flushes a book in the end. And before anyone says anything, I get it's meant to be a joke, and self deprecating, but it's indicative.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think that joking about the craft of writing is equivalent to expecting a book to mechanically flush itself onto the page once you tighten the right bolt.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

Mrenda posted:

This is a great twitter thread. @SamSykesSwears "you ever pretend to be a surly tradesperson while you’re writing? Like goin’ all: “phew, there’s your problem. These characters got no motivation. I can fix ‘er for ya, but it’ll take two...maybe three weeks?” https://twitter.com/SamSykesSwears/status/1100096851930275841

And they proceed to talk about writing like its plumbing, where you tweak a few valves and rotate a few nobs and the toilet flushes a book in the end. And before anyone says anything, I get it's meant to be a joke, and self deprecating, but it's indicative.

That thread seems to be more about counter-signalling blue-collar workers, and sexism for some reason. A kind of showing off, "I don't need to work with my hands, I pay other men to do it, and chastise them for not talking to my wife because blue collar men are sexist unlike me," weird inversion of masculine pride.

That second man is apparently going to eat me for some reason.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Mrenda posted:

And they proceed to talk about writing like its plumbing, where you tweak a few valves and rotate a few nobs and the toilet flushes a book in the end.
my creative process can be described as the opposite of this

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I can't believe Chuck "The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight." Wendig has weird views on writing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you evaluate games by writing instead of gameplay?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think that joking about the craft of writing is equivalent to expecting a book to mechanically flush itself onto the page once you tighten the right bolt.

I'm just becoming less and less enamoured by the idea that writing is a "craft." That there are certain patters you can follow to garner a result. There definitely are certain patterns you can follow to get a very definite result, I'm not sure it's something that appeals to me, though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I can't believe Chuck "The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight." Wendig has weird views on writing.
Forgive me, Mrenda, for giving this man the benefit of the doubt.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It tells you something about the moderation of this forum that BOTL has gotten 7 probations since nerdburger_jansen's regdate, has in fact spent the majority of this year probated, while nerdburger has a clean sheet.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think he might be Guy Mann.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Why do we have to suffer this moron in this great thread?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

It tells you something about the moderation of this forum that BOTL has gotten 7 probations since nerdburger_jansen's regdate, has in fact spent the majority of this year probated, while nerdburger has a clean sheet.

I dont see the comparison

BotL gets banned because he has great and challenging ideas that bring the unwashed masses of the forum physical pain through their wisdom and eloquence

This other dude just spouts obvious trolls

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Writing is gameplay. Well, some of it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

he got probed for saying that video games are for children which, ironically, is the first correct thing hes posted in this thread

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 25, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

saying that something is for children seems like a pretty straightforward criticism to me

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Free Nerdburger

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

we are all children in the eyes of the lord so it's ok to like videogames

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Look, this game is rated 18+, so games aren't for children. :colbert:

it has tiddies and gore and swears and everything

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am a firm believer that anything worth doing is worth doing excellently, and even if writing is a non crucial element of the medium it's no excuse for it being poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The game with the finest writing to date is Undertale.