Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

suck my woke dick posted:

As a FORTRAN developer, I

sleep on a mattress stuffed entirely with endangered birds, because of terrifying dependency by big banks on legacy applications

no, not THE FEATHERS OF endangered birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Duckduckgo is Bing powered (lol)
Startpage is similar but at least uses Google still.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sadus posted:

Duckduckgo is Bing powered (lol)
Startpage is similar but at least uses Google still.

That's good for :files: (yahoo is even better) because they don't filter results as much, hth.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peanut Butler posted:

lmao that you don't just grep the entire internet, idiots

Look at this loser who doesn’t read directly off the transport layer

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

sadus posted:

Bing powered

https://youtu.be/7GM4Lt5k24s

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

That's the search engine of choice for young chuds, and also inaccurate as hell.

As a communist, I

No, but DuckDuckGo is fine. There's a little learning curve, and it's distinctly worse for a few cases, but it also serves you less retail/clickbait garbage in results. It all balances out.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I was gonna be all :smuggo: and suggest that French thing, Qwant.com, except curiosity got the better of me and WAHEY WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT

surrender monkeys posted:

some parts of the Web are not yet perfectly indexed. In the meantime, our agreement with Microsoft Bing allows us to complement our own results with those of Microsoft Bing to offer the best possible results from all around the Web
https://help.qwant.com/help/overview/how-does-qwant-index-the-web/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

suck my woke dick posted:

That's good for :files: (yahoo is even better) because they don't filter results as much, hth.

google is the best for files because you just search something then scroll down to the bottom and click the takedown notices then go to the links in the takedown notices because you know they are 100% guaranteed to be legitimate streams that go directly to what they say they do.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

google is the best for files because you just search something then scroll down to the bottom and click the takedown notices then go to the links in the takedown notices because you know they are 100% guaranteed to be legitimate streams that go directly to what they say they do.

Fair.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kerning Chameleon posted:

That's the search engine of choice for young chuds, and also inaccurate as hell.

Yup, chuds love the search engine run by (((Mr. Weinberg))).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

If you think they have a coherent worldview...

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

svenkatesh posted:

Just to be sure, you have heard of Ben Shapiro, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
This feels fitting here:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Seems accurate.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Seems accurate.

I don't know, most of my programmer coworkers seem to have accepted that all their data is getting mined anyway so they willingly give it away in exchange for minor conveniences.

Elman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 24, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I mean, once you own a smartphone it's all over.
But most of the rest of that is because I want it to work all the time and not just for the set of circumstances some coder in silicon valley remembered to account for.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Has anyone detailed how a smartphone is different from a Google Home wrt listening to your conversations and whatnot?

I hope this isn't a derail, a link or something is cool.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Has anyone detailed how a smartphone is different from a Google Home wrt listening to your conversations and whatnot?

I hope this isn't a derail, a link or something is cool.

There is no difference. All speakers are microphones, and microphones can't be shut off. If your sound vibrates the magnet, you will produce an electrical signal.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elman posted:

I don't know, most of my programmer coworkers seem to have accepted that all their data is getting mined anyway so they willingly give it away in exchange for minor conveniences.

yeah i just segregate my iot poo poo into its own vlan so at least when it gets owned it's away from my personal computers

i own a smartphone and had data exposed in the OPM hack so there isn't really any point in being a hermit to try and protect my datums

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just because I give my data up willingly to say, whataburger for free fries, doesnt mean I should have to be OK with hidden microphones in devices.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Just because I give my data up willingly to say, whataburger for free fries, doesnt mean I should have to be OK with hidden microphones in devices.

Better smash anything capable of emitting sound you have then.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

There is no difference. All speakers are microphones, and microphones can't be shut off. If your sound vibrates the magnet, you will produce an electrical signal.
In case you weren't joking - dynamic transducers are reversible without altering the circuit, digital-analog conversion isn't. You'd need to physically wiretap your target device between the speaker and DAC, Soviet-style. Much easier to just use the dedicated microphone any IoT device has anyway.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I got a novelty alarm clock for christmas that I haven't hooked up yet. It can project the time on my wall. It also wants internet access so it can tell me the weekly forecast and wants me to grab an app that checks for moisture levels in my house.

I don't plan on ever hooking that thing up. My 90's radio alarm clock is chugging along just fine and I hope it remains that way for the rest of my life.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ruffian Price posted:

In case you weren't joking - dynamic transducers are reversible without altering the circuit, digital-analog conversion isn't. You'd need to physically wiretap your target device between the speaker and DAC, Soviet-style. Much easier to just use the dedicated microphone any IoT device has anyway.

true, but what "wire" goes where is frequently programmable, e.g. any PC with a Realtek audio chipset.

it would of course be the height of inanity in engineering to put such programmability into arbitrary devices!!

so you know they're just gonna

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elman posted:

I'm not worrying about data mining, that fight's lost. I'm worried about what in my house can be remotely controlled. Same reason I don't own a car with a modern entertainment system, because car manufacturers are loving idiots when it comes to airgapping them from the computer controlling driving functions.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not worrying about data mining, that fight's lost. I'm worried about what in my house can be remotely controlled. Same reason I don't own a car with a modern entertainment system, because car manufacturers are loving idiots when it comes to airgapping them from the computer controlling driving functions.

Can you expound on this ?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kommienzuspadt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

As an example, albeit from a few years ago.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

drat you!

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Liquid Communism posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

As an example, albeit from a few years ago.

Does this apply just to UConnect, or any other bluetooth-mediated phone/entertainment system connection? I have only slightly above the average layman's understanding of how computers work, so bear with me if that is a dumb question.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

divabot posted:

true, but what "wire" goes where is frequently programmable, e.g. any PC with a Realtek audio chipset.

it would of course be the height of inanity in engineering to put such programmability into arbitrary devices!!

so you know they're just gonna

If you are doing black hat side channel stuff where the company has power to control the hardware and software than nearly literally anything could be transformed into spy devices. You could turn a laser mouse or DVD player into a laser microphone that measures time of flight of light to record sound, or you could use a cheap digital/analog converter chip with a random wire plugged in to make an AM transmitter then transmit a known AM signal then put a grounded antenna on something that would flex with sound and then read the AM "noise" you created as the grounded antenna sucks more or less energy out of the known strength signal as sound moves it closer and farther. You could make a motion detector out of an LED's light absorbing capabilities, pretty much every electronic component could be used to spy if you put enough effort into designing things to line up to allow that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not worrying about data mining, that fight's lost. I'm worried about what in my house can be remotely controlled.

Same, but I still want automation. So I'm using open sores stuff that is on it's own "gently caress no you aren't allowed to talk to the internet" vlan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Same, but I still want automation. So I'm using open sores stuff that is on it's own "gently caress no you aren't allowed to talk to the internet" vlan.

Not the worst answer if you've got the chops to set it up. I settle for getting up and walking across the room to adjust the thermostat, but if I owned a place I'd probably go that route.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Does this apply just to UConnect, or any other bluetooth-mediated phone/entertainment system connection? I have only slightly above the average layman's understanding of how computers work, so bear with me if that is a dumb question.

The CAN bus is the internal communication network for the car. Any infotainment system that has access to the CAN bus and has a cellphone module included can theoretically be hacked in the same way.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Im well aware a speaker is a microphone, but have any of you ever tried swapping the auidio jacks? Its not a really good microphone, and you'd need to set up a switching software to take input from the speakers. They also cant function as speakers when working as a microphone. Its a lovely and rather obvious work around to just installing an actual mic.

So don't be pedantic idiots.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I bought a new bathroom scale last week and all of the advanced features like body fat or muscle mass measurements are only available if you download and use the company's app. The app is from some lovely Chinese company and it polls and transmits your GPS location every ~30 min :wtc:

So now I have a high tech scale that I can only use to measure weight. None of this data mining is compliant with EU law, but it's a mid sized Chinese company so why should they give a gently caress? Welp, at least the scale looks nice as hell.

Also, what is the location data for? I assume they can sell it for some beer money if they pair it with my google ad ID? Is any other of that poo poo that they stole from my phone valuable like my contact list or my phone log? How much money can you get for something like that?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Opferwurst posted:

I bought a new bathroom scale last week and all of the advanced features like body fat or muscle mass measurements are only available if you download and use the company's app. The app is from some lovely Chinese company and it polls and transmits your GPS location every ~30 min :wtc:

So now I have a high tech scale that I can only use to measure weight. None of this data mining is compliant with EU law, but it's a mid sized Chinese company so why should they give a gently caress? Welp, at least the scale looks nice as hell.

Also, what is the location data for? I assume they can sell it for some beer money if they pair it with my google ad ID? Is any other of that poo poo that they stole from my phone valuable like my contact list or my phone log? How much money can you get for something like that?

why does the somethingawful forums website ask for location every time you load it on mobile?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Opferwurst posted:

I bought a new bathroom scale last week and all of the advanced features like body fat or muscle mass measurements are only available if you download and use the company's app.

If it makes you feel better, I'm not sure you can get even semi accurate estimate of % body fat/muscle mass without some kind of densitometric imaging (e.g. DEXA)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Im well aware a speaker is a microphone, but have any of you ever tried swapping the auidio jacks? Its not a really good microphone, and you'd need to set up a switching software to take input from the speakers.

It's still perfectly usable to spy on you though? Since people claim to be worried about being spied on at any moment, the fact of it being slightly lower quality audio doesn't matter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

why does the somethingawful forums website ask for location every time you load it on mobile?

It's probably from an ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Im well aware a speaker is a microphone, but have any of you ever tried swapping the auidio jacks? Its not a really good microphone, and you'd need to set up a switching software to take input from the speakers. They also cant function as speakers when working as a microphone. Its a lovely and rather obvious work around to just installing an actual mic.

So don't be pedantic idiots.

Physics is time reversible therefore everything that is possible is equally easy, bingo bongo so simple.