Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

TwoPair posted:

Would you really call that a "bright side" though?

Absolutely. A Family Channel / Disney show has a teenage boy running all over London because he thinks his pretty classmate can't take a poo poo without his help. Good or bad, this is groundbreaking stuff for this target market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What?

This show's weird.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Waffleman_ posted:

What?

This show's weird.

Backwarder spoilers:

Marinette finally says "okay, my pen and paper can make something that my mouth can't screw up" and writes a sweet little letter for Adrien, telling him that she loves him. Meanwhile, Master Fu thinks he's dying but it's really just constipation; the doctor writes him a prescription for medication and Fu has Marinette go to have it filled. Three guesses which piece of paper she gives to Adrien by mistake, telling him "What I want more than anything else in the world is in this letter, and only you can give it to me" with longing eyes just as he's getting on an outbound train.

And while on his trip, in the company of another girl he's shown interest in, he actually manages to get some English pharmacist to fill a prescription for someone else's French 'grandfather.' Somehow, though, Marinette's reaction isn't quite what he expected when she receives it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like there should probably just be a Miraculous thread even if only four people post in it rather than those same four people talking about a show no one else knows anything about taking up like 80% of the posts in this thread.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It would probably get more comments with it's own thread as well.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yes Miraculous deserves its own thread but I am too lazy to make it.

I mean it features a grownass man who gets his own magical girl transformation played totally straight and then he gives an old lady superpowers from a bathroom stall. Groundbreaking indeed.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'll make a Miraculous thread at midnight US eastern time if no one else will but be warned, I've only seen the first season and it's been over a year since I have.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 15, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaunab posted:

I'll make a Miraculous thread at midnight US eastern time if no one else will but be warned, I've only seen the first season and it's been over a year since I have.
Suggested title: "For years now I lied carefully... all for nothing" (a recent quote by the show's creator)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Well it's not fancy but here's the thread for Miraculous:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882320&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So this is a thing that's happening:
https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/1096501005384994818

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like someone at The Onion hacked a Disney account

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the colons: "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series" Seeing some of the people in this, does this mean that Andie Mack and Bizaardvark have finished as series?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I saw that a while ago when I was looking up what would be on Disney's streaming service.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want the tv movie to be made for this, finish the ouroboros.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The only thing surprising about this is that it didn't happen sooner.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I loving hate Disney.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The only thing surprising about this is that it didn't happen sooner.

I don't know it says it's been 15 years since the original HSM (which jfc makes me feel so goddamn old) so it seems about perfect timing to capitalize on that late millennial/early Gen Z nostalgia.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I never watched The Disney Channel's live-action stuff as a kid because the shows tended to have realistic settings more often than Nickelodeon or they seemed crassly materialistic. For escapism I didn't want to go to some place which at a glance appears to celebrate wealth while pushing aside virtue. As in, there'd be celebratory "I can be a jerk because I have money" plot, played for laughs, that is justified by taking a learning a valuable life lesson at the end or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From all I gather they were pretty much all the same poo poo, just that when you take the adult humour out of the American sitcom formula and can't use the hijinx and imagination of cartoons, you basically end up with upper-middle class wish fulfilment mixed with people being jerks to each other all the time but it's okay because they learned a lesson.

I think they mostly got popular for being a lot cheaper than cartoons, since it's not like any of them had any lasting impact besides the ones that in retrospect were basically bait to groom teenagers for the sexual predators on staff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm watching Troll Hunters because it keeps showing up in my netflix queue and I figured why not?

It's okay? Not good, not awful, not memorable, just...ok.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It gets better, but then Anton Yelchin dies IRL and they hire Emile Hirsch, infamous for chokeslamming a woman half to death, to replace him, and he does not sell Jim's late-series crises well at all, and also he's an abusive monster.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm watching Troll Hunters because it keeps showing up in my netflix queue and I figured why not?

It's okay? Not good, not awful, not memorable, just...ok.

It actually does get better. The supporting cast is fun. Senor Uhl in particular.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Okay, the bad guy constantly hitting on the protagonist's mom is pretty funny.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The gnome and his sex doll is still kinda weird though

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A character just got eaten by a troll, and then literally poo poo out.

what is happening

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YaeYt2OXzo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So this is a series from 1994 by the look of it?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The_Doctor posted:

So this is a series from 1994 by the look of it?

'97 actually

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Brothers Grunt was better.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Decided to give the other Arcadia show 3 Below a shot.

There's a pretty :wow: moment where they explain that one on them is disguised as Latino because of how invisible they are. They literally say that.

Edit: Oh my loving god. A school board member literally says it's unusual for "his kind" to do so well at math.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 26, 2019

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

Edit: Oh my loving god. A school board member literally says it's unusual for "his kind" to do so well at math.

Its not even the only time someone says that. Its nuts that they got away with it.

OH you might wanna be careful towards the end as Trollhunters and 3Below start to intersect: it'll have some late Trollhunters spoilers if you wanna keep going on that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just watched the Gumball episode with the unexpected Golden Girls tribute out of nowhere. And now I want a full animated version of Golden Girls. Whichever actors they got to do pitch perfect Bea Arthur and Rue McLanahan impressions also need to be hired.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So the live action Kim Possible DCOM came out and I actually enjoyed it. It's not gonna set the world on fire but it's an enjoyable kids movie that is also a nostalgia trip for fans of the original show.

They also recreate the theme which works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQwoVmQHwE

The standouts are Shego and Professor Dementor (played by his voice actor from the original show), naturally.

(Here's 99% of Dementors role)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82axCYdI0k

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 27, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ok, I've had a complete 180 on Trollhunters
It was pretty fun, and surprisingly dark.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Trollhunters can be a slog but there's just. Something there that works after a while.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles just had a cameo of Blackwolf the Dragonmaster.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

YouTube came out with its own original cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KenQcX79M

I kind of feel like the concept could have potential, but it doesn't look to be getting much positive reception.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All I got from the previews Youtube were throwing at me was "Oh so someone's doing a serious version of Maid Marian and Her Merry Men (ne; Blackadder on CBBC). That strikes me as a bit of a daft idea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It looks uninteresting and is based on a public domain character lazily bolted into a new setting and isn't Sherlock Holmes in either the 22nd Century or Sherlock Holmes traveling through time and thousands of light years to meet a native american sheriff with a cybernetic horse sidekick on a backwater mining world.