Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Panic makes you do things like this.

When really I could have just finished the tile floor in the reservoir and then build a single lower liquid pump and hook it up to keep the SPOMs running, before casually finding a way to get all the polluted water back in. I'll probably just reload an earlier save out of embarrassment.

Edit: I also keep forgetting liquid containers are a thing, so I prevented all this by building some of those instead of digging a deeper reservoir.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sillybones posted:

I remember something about automating transformers to reduce heat generation. Was that a thing? How does that work?

You use smart batteries. Basically you put a smart battery on the circuit after the transformer and you use it to turn the transformer on and off. Like you turn it off when the battery is at 100% but turn it back on if the battery is at like 25% or whatever.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mazz posted:

You know what, I can’t rmemeber the last time I locked all dupes out of a place entirely with this double door, but it does work for limiting them going through in some form. I’m positive of this because my atmo suit design doesn’t work without some kind of active door control.

There are none in that screenshot, do you mean the the liquid ones or the gold volcano area? EDIT: Or like the giant gas tanks in the more zoomed out screenshots I've posted?

The big gas tanks.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Azuth0667 posted:

The big gas tanks.

Oh those just exist to store all the gas I want to clean up/made by power plants/etc. If you put under 2000g of a liquid in front of a vent, or under 20kg in front of a high pressure vent, the vent will never turn off from overpressure because the gas cannot occupy the tile. Little exploit-y but frankly too drat useful not to use if you play long games, especially since CO2 and hydrogen have uses late. So once those rooms are built I can send them all the gas I don’t want/need from everywhere forever. My CO2 tank over there had at one point 900kg/t pressure. The only problem is if you ever decide to move or change that room it takes another 1000 cycles to move that much gas back out. (also I think past 1000kg/t you might crash the game, haven’t checked). I have all gasses sent to that orange closed loop HVAC system thing, where the gas flows to the shut offs to fill the tanks and the pumps are past the shut offs so I can inflow and outflow gasses in the same loop so long as I’m paying at least a little attention to timing and quantities. Again, clock sensors own and should be attached to basically everything you want control of.

This is one reason Spaceprison v3 is probably replacing v2 when I play again next, gotta pre-plan stuff pretty drastically when you want to be all OCD perfectionist in this game. I moved my gas storage over to the far right and moving everything related is honestly more work than just starting the gently caress over. I could sandbox but I hate doing that. For now though I just have the game uninstalled, I’ll come back to all that next patch or whatever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 24, 2019

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My CO2 storage room is 2x2 with 7800kg/tile of CO2. It's fun to occasionally deconstruct a wall and watch the gas explode out, then reload the previous day's save.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'd love to see a spinoff of this game that's a 'Don't Starve Together!' answer to this - except all the dupes are human controlled players.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Spacedad posted:

I'd love to see a spinoff of this game that's a 'Don't Starve Together!' answer to this - except all the dupes are human controlled players.

So Space Station 13 then?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

insta posted:

My CO2 storage room is 2x2 with 7800kg/tile of CO2. It's fun to occasionally deconstruct a wall and watch the gas explode out, then reload the previous day's save.

This is like when I tried to cool my smelter with 80 degree water and the resulting steam explosion pretty much destroyed everything for 4 screens with a razor sharp corona of super heated steam.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Lowen posted:

So Space Station 13 then?

In a way, yeah.

A spinoff would need to be adjusted around the fact that it's all human players but I think it could work.

If they wanted to go full space station 13 they could get a lot more elaborate with the roles and add special events.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So gas pressure doesn't crack tiles, or do built tiles have infinite strength or what? I've had too much water crack, leak then break and flood out of containers before. Never took note of numbers though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
As far as I can tell, nope. If insta has 7800kg contained I can’t see it ever doing it either. Insulated tile has better pressure ratings on top of the heat stuff if that is somehow part, I pretty much build exclusively out of insulated igneous and then swap for reg granite or gold metal tile if I need decor/runspeed/temperature stuff.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 24, 2019

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Gas doesn't crack tiles (yet), liquid will crack everything except airflow tiles, metal doors, and maybe bunker tiles. It will destroy refined metal tiles.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
In the early game, what is the best way to get thimble reed? I'm trying to get some atmo suits up and running but its hard getting any fibre. Usually any plants I find I harvest and leave growing, but this map doesn't seem to have that much available.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Demon_Corsair posted:

In the early game, what is the best way to get thimble reed? I'm trying to get some atmo suits up and running but its hard getting any fibre. Usually any plants I find I harvest and leave growing, but this map doesn't seem to have that much available.

I usually dig my way to them as soon as I can and start harvesting them early so I can get repeated harvests on 3-4 nodes way ahead of when I actually need the suits. Even if the area has slime the air will often not have slimelung and you can safely snag some reeds.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Demon_Corsair posted:

You could farm them; cultivated plants grow at 4x the speed of wild plants. Since seed drop is per harvest, you get more seeds quicker. Sometimes the cracked stone tiles in those zones will also have seeds.

I like to find and plant one in the early game just to have a way to get rid of the polluted water from my wash basins. 64 basin uses = 1 reed fiber, with the caveat that basins only get emptied after 40 uses.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

You could farm them; cultivated plants grow at 4x the speed of wild plants. Since seed drop is per harvest, you get more seeds quicker. Sometimes the cracked stone tiles in those zones will also have seeds.

I like to find and plant one in the early game just to have a way to get rid of the polluted water from my wash basins. 64 basin uses = 1 reed fiber, with the caveat that basins only get emptied after 40 uses

Holy poo poo, I didn't realized that wild plant grew so slow.

And that sounds like a great solution to early game grey water

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Once you get toilets too you can just pipe the toilet water directly to the farm tiles (well whatever you don't need to sieve back to the toilets), the germs don't matter for thimble reed. Thimble use an insane amount of water but it doesn't matter if they turn brown in between bathroom uses, it just pauses the growth. With thimble having a lot more value for decor items and such now this is pretty much the way to go with bathroom wastewater. Just slowly build up a stockpile, reed take up like no space in a storage container, much like seeds. You can store 1000s in a single one.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 25, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a use for the ore scrubber? As far as I can tell the only material you ever really pick up that has germs on it is slime, which will just re-populate itself after you clean it anyway.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is there a use for the ore scrubber? As far as I can tell the only material you ever really pick up that has germs on it is slime, which will just re-populate itself after you clean it anyway.

I wonder if anyone has usefully used one ever.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Like probably every player ever I assumed the ore scrubber was more than it was.

I thought contaminated slime went in and clean slime came out. In reality contaminated slime goes in and contaminated slime goes out. I'm not sure how this thing made it to release :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I mentioned this before but in 300+ hours I’ve never even built an Ore Scrubber. It is just not needed. I barely bother with Terrariums and Composts these days as well. Seems like the alternatives just take less effort (Carbon Skimmer and Sage Hatches).

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mierenneuker posted:

I mentioned this before but in 300+ hours I’ve never even built an Ore Scrubber. It is just not needed. I barely bother with Terrariums and Composts these days as well. Seems like the alternatives just take less effort (Carbon Skimmer and Sage Hatches).

I'd use it if it could actually clean slime. Then I wouldn't need the chlorine room. I like slime for mushroom farming.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It decontaminates water from the pitcher-pump in the pool of sieved toilet water, so there is that.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

insta posted:

It decontaminates water from the pitcher-pump in the pool of sieved toilet water, so there is that.

I had no idea. This is actually a legitimate use, I think.

Or you just vent it into space like all your other problems in life.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mierenneuker posted:

Composts are one of the few ways to get clean dirt so there’s that. You need to boil a ton of polluted water or go to space otherwise.

I think the ore scrubber is meant for like clay and gold that has slime on it from contact but its exceedingly useless for that since slime dies naturally on stuff like that once away from a slime producing source.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If Mazz can't even find a use, we know it's dead :)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Appreciate the compliment, I’m never sure if my posts read as helpful or wordy and annoying :v:, prob a little of column A + B

I think the issue with the ore scrubber is it only cleans like 400k germs per use and slime will have like 999k from the natural growth before it caps out, putting 3 scrubbers in a row might make them work correctly. Pretty excessive regardless tho.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mazz posted:

Appreciate the compliment, I’m never sure if my posts read as helpful or wordy and annoying :v:, prob a little of column A + B

I think the issue with the ore scrubber is it only cleans like 400k germs per use and slime will have like 999k from the natural growth before it caps out, putting 3 scrubbers in a row might make them work correctly. Pretty excessive regardless tho.

Your posts are always helpful for me Mazz, although I have social anxiety and can relate to the uncertainty of how stuff is received.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mazz posted:

Your posts are a goddamn treasure and I shall fight all those who say to the contrary

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:agreed: I get a lot out of the posts.

Maybe one day I will have a base make it past 200cycles without abandoning it and restarting to fix something I messed up

Is it just me or are the temperate biomes a lot smaller now than they used to be? I run out of algae so fast now.

Also what’s the best way to break the thermals coming from other biomes before insulated tiles? Dig an open space?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does anyone here remember the new math behind insulated and radiant stuff? It changed a few versions back and the wiki still has the old info.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Priznat, my opinions after playing a half dozen new colonies to cycle 100-ish after the last patch:

Biome shapes seem to have gotten weirder, not sure about overall size. It especially seems that the “couple of tiles from one biome are on the other side of the abyssalite” thing is more prevalent. May be coincidence.

I usually semi-rush insulated tiles, so get them after a few dozen cycles, so I don’t really have a prior step. I just basically ignore heat before that. Heat-wise, 40-50 cycles seems a kind of insignificant blip, but I’ve never bothered measuring it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hello Sailor posted:

Does anyone here remember the new math behind insulated and radiant stuff? It changed a few versions back and the wiki still has the old info.
You’re talking about heat numbers? Insulated pipes/vents look like they have a thermal conductivity that’s close to 0.031 of the regular version, specific heat capacity is the same.

Radiant is made out of metal, while regular and insulated are made of minerals, so you can’t really compare them.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You’re talking about heat numbers? Insulated pipes/vents look like they have a thermal conductivity that’s close to 0.031 of the regular version, specific heat capacity is the same.

Radiant is made out of metal, while regular and insulated are made of minerals, so you can’t really compare them.

I'd read somewhere that insulated pipes/tiles now transmit heat based on functions using the material of the pipe/tile and the stuff in contact with it. And that radiant pipes/metal tiles use a similar function.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hello Sailor posted:

I'd read somewhere that insulated pipes/tiles now transmit heat based on functions using the material of the pipe/tile and the stuff in contact with it. And that radiant pipes/metal tiles use a similar function.

The thermal conductivity and heat capacity of a thing is listed in its detailed tooltip or the database, looking it up I think it changed but not enough to change how you do that stuff, it’s still just using the material with the best values. It’s only the extreme stuff, like trapping heat in a exploity steam turbine room where you need to be real specific. 99% of the time any material you can make insulated tile out of will do the job you want it to, same with metal tile/radiant. I can’t think of any other drastic changes other than abyssalite not being used for everything.

EDIT: here’s the most recent on-topic math thread I see since that’s what you asked for

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/96628-heat-transfer-current-status/

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 25, 2019

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Did the sweep command get changed in the last patch? I can't my dupes to pick poo poo up unless I make it priority 8 or 9.

Or do priorities not work in the way I thought they do? Does the default order for from left to right? Assuming all jobs are at neutral and 5, will a pawn do a life support job before a tidy, before a dig, before a storage?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m not sure, but remember that now when you select a dupe you’ll see a list of their tasks in priority order.

I’ve been seeing seemingly odd behavior with sweeping lately, too. Speaking of which (maybe), since there’s a Storage task what is Tidy? just mop? E: and disinfect I would guess?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 26, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Demon_Corsair posted:

Did the sweep command get changed in the last patch? I can't my dupes to pick poo poo up unless I make it priority 8 or 9.

Or do priorities not work in the way I thought they do? Does the default order for from left to right? Assuming all jobs are at neutral and 5, will a pawn do a life support job before a tidy, before a dig, before a storage?

I think the priority is determined by the empty containers marked for sweep content.

Like if your 8 prio container is full but the 5 isn't then it's a 5.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does the priority of the container affect the sweep job or the storage job?

I'm not entirely sure why those are even two separate jobs. My understanding / best guess is that tidy handles active tasks like sweep and mop and storage is just picking random poo poo off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The priority of the container definitely affects them picking stuff up without being explicitly told to. I use that fact all the time for boxes of only slime, and boxes of coal only next to generators*. Not sure about explicit sweep commands, but I would assume it would do that also (I.e. if they’d pick it up without orders, they’d still pick it up when ordered, right?)

* and critter feeders — I always assumed that was a Supply job, but now that I think of it, who knows.