Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

onesixtwo posted:

someone increased AI trade cooldowns.

My favorite gameplay feature is every AI making me the same trade offer one after another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

turboraton posted:

So. Who is up for a MP goon game, we could set it up next week.

I'd be up for that. Gives me time to re-familiarize myself with things and check out the new civs and stuff.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
The Maori are supposed to start on the ocean, right? Are they supposed to start on the ocean 100% of the time? I just installed Gathering Storm, loaded up my very first game (Maori, Archipelago, Standard Size, King) and I'm nowhere near water.

Not quite what I was expecting, really but I'll take it I guess?

Edit: Oh wait, I have Yet (not) Another Map Pack installed, but I thought I chose the standard archipelago map. Maybe I hosed it up?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, that's deliberate. Removable features (forest, rainforest, marsh) counteract droughts. I don't know if it's said anywhere in-game, but I think it was in one of the preview videos.

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned somewhere but I forgot where. But yeah, having a large flatland is just inviting droughts if there's no woods or jungle or marsh nearby.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Gato posted:

I wish there was a difficulty level between King and Emperor. I usually end up in a dominant position by Renaissance or sometimes even Medieval when playing King, but Emperor I always seemed to get crowded out because everyone has 4 cities (including one conquered city-state) by the time I have two and I promptly get drowned in a Warrior rush. I guess I still haven't worked out what to prioritise in the early game, but between getting districts up, settlers, ranged units so I can actually defend, it's hard to catch up more often than not.

I had the same issue. King is easy but I hate how with emperor and above the AI has a huge initial advantage that you slowly catch up (and eventually overcome).

I solved this by finding the file with difficulty settings (you have to find the one in the expansion folder) and commented out the line that gives AI an extra settler. Left everything as is. I’m now playing Immortal and it feels hood. The AI doesn’t has the initial boost but the huge production bonuses keep it competitive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish you could click on Wonders on the world map and it'd tell you what it did.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, that's deliberate. Removable features (forest, rainforest, marsh) counteract droughts. I don't know if it's said anywhere in-game, but I think it was in one of the preview videos.

Is that actually a thing in the game though or just something the devs wanted to include because my first game I didn't remove anything while the second I chopped every single feature as soon as I could and I never noticed any increase in droughts.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

markus_cz posted:

I had the same issue. King is easy but I hate how with emperor and above the AI has a huge initial advantage that you slowly catch up (and eventually overcome).

I solved this by finding the file with difficulty settings (you have to find the one in the expansion folder) and commented out the line that gives AI an extra settler. Left everything as is. I’m now playing Immortal and it feels hood. The AI doesn’t has the initial boost but the huge production bonuses keep it competitive.

Oh is there a quick guide on how to do this? I have the exact same problem with emperor and king

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They're really bad at actually telling you about what matters too. I don't care if a river is flooding thousands of squares away in the enemy capital but I definitely want to know when my river is flooding please.

Plus the world congress is so badly implemented compared to previous games, why's the stuff for it random?!

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 24, 2019

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Fhqwhgads posted:

The Maori are supposed to start on the ocean, right? Are they supposed to start on the ocean 100% of the time? I just installed Gathering Storm, loaded up my very first game (Maori, Archipelago, Standard Size, King) and I'm nowhere near water.

Not quite what I was expecting, really but I'll take it I guess?

Edit: Oh wait, I have Yet (not) Another Map Pack installed, but I thought I chose the standard archipelago map. Maybe I hosed it up?

It sure sounds like start bias was disabled, which the vanilla scripts don't have.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

Oh is there a quick guide on how to do this? I have the exact same problem with emperor and king

I’m not by my computer right now so going by memory: Find the game folder, then there are subfolders for each DLC (somewhere). If you have the latest expansion, go into the one named Ex2 (or similar, it stands for Expansion). Again, many subfolders but one of them contains editable content (data? Content? I don’t remember the name). I think it’s a lot of XML files. One of them will have Difficulty in their name. Make a backup copy of that file in case you want to revert back. Then open it in a text editor, search for a line containing the word settler and delete it.

Sorry for the vague instructions but it’s really quite easy. The hard part is finding the file but it should be doable by trial and error or by googling :)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

For some reason I can’t use your National Wonder only addon with the nuclear disaster tweak, isolated to just the two of them attempted.

e: I also kept crashing with a four player game, Ottoman, Canada, Inca, United states. Disabled National wonders and it loads with that setup.

National Wonders mod was broken for about half a day, should be fixed now. My testing didn't catch it because it was written in a way that it wouldn't be caught if I was testing it at the same time as my World Wonders mod, which I was.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gobblecoque posted:

Is that actually a thing in the game though or just something the devs wanted to include because my first game I didn't remove anything while the second I chopped every single feature as soon as I could and I never noticed any increase in droughts.

Well chopping increases climate change which makes disasters more frequent but i don't know about direct interaction

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Currently trying to decide what roll terrace farms should play. They're amazing at first, but then you reach the housing cap and you want mines. And the best location for a terrace farm is also the best location for your campus, which is of course more important, unless you get Macchu Pichu (and you really want that) in which case most of your districts will go where the terrace farms would. So you have to commit to MP when thinking about district and TF placement. It's an awkward situation.

Inca are great though. Their start bias kicks rear end (good production, good defense), their domestic trade routes are a great source of food if you're feeling gun shy on the TFs, you can teleport through mountains what the gently caress, and I don't know where I stand with the terrace but I'm enjoying the question. The fact that you're going to spend a lot of time around volcanoes means you've got a certain amount of risk management going on, and sometimes you get boned, but it's also hilarious.

Oh, that's another thing about terrace farms. I've never not started next to a volcano, and terrace farms are their favorite food. I get the feeling Inca are noticeably worse when you turn disasters up.

Too bad population doesn't directly improve science generation the way it did in 5. It's weird to be making new citizens just so you can work more food-heavy tiles so you can make new citizens in order to work more food, etc. Maybe it's better to replace most of your terrace farms with mines in the mid-late game so your citizens are doing more for you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I still don't really get Tourism. Is it actually a total number that I'm earning however much it shows towards?
So when I get a rock band to play it's earning 150 on top of the 400 I get each turn, meaning I win faster? Because it doesn't seem that way, it's not reducing the amount of turns it takes before I win!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

markus_cz posted:

I’m not by my computer right now so going by memory: Find the game folder, then there are subfolders for each DLC (somewhere). If you have the latest expansion, go into the one named Ex2 (or similar, it stands for Expansion). Again, many subfolders but one of them contains editable content (data? Content? I don’t remember the name). I think it’s a lot of XML files. One of them will have Difficulty in their name. Make a backup copy of that file in case you want to revert back. Then open it in a text editor, search for a line containing the word settler and delete it.

Sorry for the vague instructions but it’s really quite easy. The hard part is finding the file but it should be doable by trial and error or by googling :)

Went into "expansion 2" but in the "data" section there's no xml file about difficulties.. Poked around a bit but couldn't find anything referencing difficulties in any of the places I thought to check, you're right, difficulties are really a maze

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Went into "expansion 2" but in the "data" section there's no xml file about difficulties.. Poked around a bit but couldn't find anything referencing difficulties in any of the places I thought to check, you're right, difficulties are really a maze

I believe the file you are looking for is Expansion1_Eras.xml, because starting units vary by starting Era they are all in there (you start with more units in an Industrial Era start, etc.). You'll be looking for the lines tagged AiOnly="true", those show units that only the AI starts with and the MinDifficulty line is also relevant.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I still don't really get Tourism. Is it actually a total number that I'm earning however much it shows towards?
So when I get a rock band to play it's earning 150 on top of the 400 I get each turn, meaning I win faster? Because it doesn't seem that way, it's not reducing the amount of turns it takes before I win!

I think the tourism only applies to the civ where they're performing, so you need to send them to the civ that needs the most tourism to overcome.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Straight White Shark posted:

I think the tourism only applies to the civ where they're performing, so you need to send them to the civ that needs the most tourism to overcome.

Incidentally, which one is that on the Culture Victory list? The top or the bottom? The whole thing is rather poorly explained.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Clarste posted:

The whole thing is rather poorly explained.

New thread title

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Magil Zeal posted:

National Wonders mod was broken for about half a day, should be fixed now. My testing didn't catch it because it was written in a way that it wouldn't be caught if I was testing it at the same time as my World Wonders mod, which I was.

:toot: thanks!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, which one is that on the Culture Victory list? The top or the bottom? The whole thing is rather poorly explained.

I... think the top? I don't know how it's sorted (if at all.) It's the one that has the most Domestic Tourists on the culture victory detail tab.

I usually just say gently caress it and launch the spaceship anyhow, I've only bothered with the culture victory twice and one of those was just trying out France!Eleanor.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've won culture victories and still don't really understand how to read the cultural victory tab

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Magil Zeal posted:

It turned out to be easier than I thought so I made a mod that disables nuclear disasters and the associated project. I couldn't find anything similar on the workshop for whatever reason, and given how easy it turned out to be I'm not sure why.

I was going to also make a mod that tunes emissions but it looks like someone beat me to it.

Thanks for this! :cheers:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

The Glumslinger posted:

I've won culture victories and still don't really understand how to read the cultural victory tab
Me either and it's my favourite way to win. I just poo poo out great works and international trade routes and cross my fingers. It seems themed galleries are WAY popular. Like, "gently caress the Taj Mahal, that one gallery in the arse-end of nowhere has all kinds of Jesus pictures. Let's go there." So I just try and do that.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I love the turn i complete any great work every AI breathlessly blows up my inbox with a kitchen sink of gold, gpt, strategic resources and diplomatic favor for it. Like chill out a little guys, maybe let the paint dry first?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roger Explosion posted:

Me either and it's my favourite way to win. I just poo poo out great works and international trade routes and cross my fingers. It seems themed galleries are WAY popular. Like, "gently caress the Taj Mahal, that one gallery in the arse-end of nowhere has all kinds of Jesus pictures. Let's go there." So I just try and do that.

have they finally changed it so you can actually get more than a tiny handful of great works because the game runs out of great artists

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The White Dragon posted:

have they finally changed it so you can actually get more than a tiny handful of great works because the game runs out of great artists

Just build archaeological museums, 0 worry about great people points(and you'll anyway have more writers than you need because amphitheaters), easier to get theming bonuses but exact same effect. Even if you didn't get Terracotta army the AI's are willing to give open borders for peanuts in trade.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Golden ages get really absurd on the slower speeds because of just how many barbarian camps reappear over and over just past your visible area of the fog of war. If you're even the slightest bit on top of things it's easy to get huge margins for every single golden age.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 25, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Tom Tucker posted:

There's a mod that does this for you. Look up 'no AI starting boost' or something like that. Updated for GS.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

Sorry, apparently I didn't remember it right. Went and checked it on my computer.

To remove the extra AI settler from any difficulty on Emperor and above, edit this file:

This will remove quite a big initial advantage from the AI so you want to compensate by playing on an even higher difficulty to give the AI higher production bonuses. I'm playing on Immortal and it feels good.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I’m playing my third Civ 6 game ever (first in GS) as Russia, and I have more great writers than I know what to do with. I’m wrapping my head around the district thing, and it seems like, in general, you have to pick your future victory type and start laying the infrastructure for it much earlier than in Civ 5. It’s a little confusing now, but I feel like it’ll make my choices more important once I get the hang of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Straight White Shark posted:

Yea finding that isn't easy. I assume it's Rome as their team is effectively second place after mine. But do we need to get tourism from each other when it's a team victory? Who knows.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tourism is a lot simpler than it's made out to be in-game. For every 100 culture you generate, you get one domestic tourist, and for every (150 times the number of civs in the game) tourism you send to another civ, they lose a domestic tourist and you gain a visiting tourist, permanently. Your tourism per civ is just your tourism per turn, modified by the various modifiers like having a trade route or different governments (visible in the tourism screen). The only bonus you get for focusing your efforts towards the civ with the most domestic tourists is that you'll be depleting their domestic tourist pool, reducing the points you need to win.

Functionally, it's almost exactly the same as the Civ V mechanism, but with more jargon that makes it seem complex.

Ragnar34 posted:

Currently trying to decide what roll terrace farms should play. They're amazing at first, but then you reach the housing cap and you want mines. And the best location for a terrace farm is also the best location for your campus, which is of course more important, unless you get Macchu Pichu (and you really want that) in which case most of your districts will go where the terrace farms would. So you have to commit to MP when thinking about district and TF placement. It's an awkward situation.

I wouldn't worry too much about mines as the Inca, personally. Any mountain with two adjacent terrace farms will give two hammers and two food, and you can make up for having fewer high production tiles by sheer volume from having massive populations. Definitely always bump your head against the housing cap. And don't forget that they give two hammers when adjacent to aqueducts. I don't think I built a single mine that wasn't on a resource as the Inca and I still got insane production levels.

Taear posted:

Yea finding that isn't easy. I assume it's Rome as their team is effectively second place after mine. But do we need to get tourism from each other when it's a team victory? Who knows.

The tourism victory screen lists the domestic tourism of all civs (colored briefcase on the left) and how many points you need to win a culture victory (fraction on the right). If Rome has the most domestic tourists outside of you, and you need to overcome that number to win, you do need to overcome them.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 25, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK I played a game on Prince because despite playing since Civilization 1, I still suck at this. In particular, I struggle with the second "layer" of having religious units / faith units (always forget to use my faith, missionaries, etc.), and with the fact that I want to fill out all my cities with all the buildings. I'm a perfectionist.

So I was doing just that, building my happy empire full of every wonder and building, game was going swimmingly - had a lot of wonders, the most score, most tech and civics, plenty of city-states under my wing, good tourism etc.. out of the 4 civs, but suddenly japan started sending waves upon waves of rock bands at me, I could not find a way to stop them, and they were racking up 4500 tourist points at a time on all my wonders :stare:

needless to say, they won a cultural victory in about 10 turns :mad: game was pretty far from its natural ending, it was about 1900AD or something like that

Other things I did wrong: settled too few cities in the beginning (terrain did not help me, I was "boxed in" by a huge mountain range and wasn't quick enough to forward settle), tried to build everything in every city, not used traders nearly enough, not deciding which victory to go for early on and thus not building towards it, never going to war because I never find the time to produce enough military units to actually overwhelm others

also the World Congress seems real stupid, there's no way I think to see what the others are likely to vote, so unless you pump a shitton of Favor or whatever it is, good luck actually passing the thing you want - and the things you get are randomized so maybe you won't even want anything out of the various proposals. It just feels half-assed.

next time I want to try Eleanor/France and focus on culture and GP right away, see if "culture-flipping" conquest is all that's said to be on Reddit (Eleanor is considered an A-tier civ apparently)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What I don't get is that religious tourism is 50% against civs of other religions instead of double against civs of the same religion. It makes relics look more powerful than they are.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man some of these quotes in VI are really lame. "Lol turns out Kilimanjaro isn't wifi enabled"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Civ VI spending however much Sean Bean costs for the voice overs and then spending nothing on a coach to teach him how to pronounce things like Hoochlypoochly or a writer who put in more effort than googling "<item> quotes" and loosely rewriting wikipedia summaries is a common topic of derision.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

TorakFade posted:

next time I want to try Eleanor/France and focus on culture and GP right away, see if "culture-flipping" conquest is all that's said to be on Reddit (Eleanor is considered an A-tier civ apparently)

Yes, it works pretty great - have cathedrals in your religion for that extra slot, so your average city can house 9 great works and give -9 loyalty to all foreign cities in range without any wonders.
It can even flip capitals relatively easily, the only weakness of this being Dido of Phoenicia ignoring loyalty effects in coastal cities on the same continent as capital. Get the governors to gold and faith-buy districts, set up every newly flipped city with holy site and theater and move your great works that are out of range to it, about 3 sets of works are enough to city-flip through the entire map

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It really is weird that they didn't just call up a college and ask a professor how to pronounce some things. I'm sure anybody who devoted their life to studying dead or dying cultures and languages would be thrilled to know that some of this knowledge is finding some tiny spot in modern culture.

I like the professor who voiced Kamehameha in V. Firaxis called him up looking for someone to speak the language, and he insisted that he do it because they'd just mess it up.