Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Someone should reply back with photos of 1959 Castro and 2019 Castro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He's trying to threaten Maduro over Twitter, because that's the exciting reality we live in.

Which is by all rights a clear violation of their terms of service, but as usual rules don't apply to the powerful.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NBD just throwing out a little quote on a Sunday afternoon. Good times

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1099704915956559872?s=17

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/sofarcadia/status/1099766294809845761

lmfao the Russian trolls don't have the background to deal with that one, I guess

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fallom posted:

https://twitter.com/sofarcadia/status/1099766294809845761

lmfao the Russian trolls don't have the background to deal with that one, I guess

It sounds like we should invade Russia.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Chichevache posted:

It sounds like we should invade Russia.

Hopefully during the winter

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The idea of just getting some Chinese made carfentanil and just air dropping it over Russia seems better and better.

Though I'm sure the Russian govt and mob (same difference in many cases) will want a cut.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As gently caress posted:

The idea of just getting some Chinese made carfentanil and just air dropping it over Russia seems better and better.

Though I'm sure the Russian govt and mob (same difference in many cases) will want a cut.

I'm legit surprised no one has used carfentanil as a bioweapon yet. Pour half a kilo into a HVAC system, you could take out a whole building.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BigDave posted:

I'm legit surprised no one has used carfentanil as a bioweapon yet. Pour half a kilo into a HVAC system, you could take out a whole building.

Is this a joke about the 2002 Moscow theater hostage situation?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Should have tweeted it at Putin.

Presumably he values his health

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which is by all rights a clear violation of their terms of service, but as usual rules don't apply to the powerful.

There is also no way in hell Jack doesn't vote republican so he'll protect his own

BigDave posted:

This has been a legit fear of mine for years now. And that much would kill way more than a building's worth with the right dispersal. I also think nobody takes the threat seriously. We do not need a major terror attack in general and we god drat sure don't need one with this moron in office.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 25, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wouldn’t that quantity of carfentynl be just as difficult to produce as a real nerve agent? If it’s something you can make in a shed I’d expect more people to be making it rather than importing heroin.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

Wouldn’t that quantity of carfentynl be just as difficult to produce as a real nerve agent? If it’s something you can make in a shed I’d expect more people to be making it rather than importing heroin.

Apparently it's comparably easier to make than fentanyl and heroin, and chinese labs are cranking the poo poo out like crazy, hence the worry that a terrorist group might be able to procure a sizable quantity via a dark web source and manage to get it aerosol in a public space.

The LD50 isn't actually that much worse than Fentanyl, but the opioid potency is something like 100x and it's still been likened to a nerve agent in terms of toxicity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

There is also no way in hell Jack doesn't vote republican so he'll protect his own

This has been a legit fear of mine for years now. And that much would kill way more than a building's worth with the right dispersal. I also think nobody takes the threat seriously. We do not need a major terror attack in general and we god drat sure don't need one with this moron in office.

M_Gargantua posted:

This has already been posted but,

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

A few years ago you could order a whole kilo from china for under $1,000 and not even have to gently caress with tor or bitcoin to do it, poo poo was right there on reddit and google search results.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

It was not, I had forgotten all about it.

Don Dongington posted:

Apparently it's comparably easier to make than fentanyl and heroin, and chinese labs are cranking the poo poo out like crazy, hence the worry that a terrorist group might be able to procure a sizable quantity via a dark web source and manage to get it aerosol in a public space.

The LD50 isn't actually that much worse than Fentanyl, but the opioid potency is something like 100x and it's still been likened to a nerve agent in terms of toxicity.

LD50 for carfentanil is 3.39 mg, now that's right around the same amount for organophosphate insecticides. You aerosolize that in a controlled environment like a office building, you got a bioterror attack that would make ISIS jealous.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This didn't get enough love

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've definitely seen it before and I think it was here so that might just be because it was a repost

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jennycohn1/status/1099816254716600321

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1099832970997833730

lol

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ooh! I’ll take “Reasons Why You Should Never Voluntarily Dismantle Your Nuclear Program” for $800, please!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ooh! I’ll take “Reasons Why You Should Never Voluntarily Dismantle Your Nuclear Program” for $800, please!

This nuclear physicist was kidnapped by the Mossad after describing a non-existent nuclear weapons program.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I can't wait to see that smug gently caress in jail.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What a loving oval office.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just a brief off-cycle reminder that in about a month the UK is going to implode up its own rear end in a top hat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EBB posted:

Just a brief off-cycle reminder that in about a month the UK is going to implode up its own rear end in a top hat.

:getin:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was kind of holding out hope that the UK would unfuck itself but hearing that Theresa May had a massive amount of support allowing her to win the recent no confidence vote against her sealed the deal that their leadership is gleefully throwing themselves into the sewer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Time to make some cheap vacation plans.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm curious to see where the pound settles out after this. Not dumb enough to dabble in currencies, it's just going to be interesting to see it hit par with the dollar or drop below it.

Also the euro.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'd be surprised if people aren't shorting the British pound already.

poo poo's gonna negatively affect the rest of the world's economy in some bad ways. I don't think it'll be of the magnitude of the 2008 financial crisis, but it'll definitely have ripples, especially across Europe.

poo poo's gonna get real hosed up.

On the topic of weaponizing carfentanyl or a similar drug, the Russians already did weaponize and aerosolize it, as noted above. That hostage situation was a goat gently caress. The Wikipedia entry on it is very well-sourced. Over 3 dozen terrorists, hundreds of hostages. The way they executed the entry into the theater was brilliant. There's no way any entry could have been made into the theater without massive casualties to the hostages and the Alfa (a spetznaz group) operators. None of the hostages were killed in the initial entry and clearing of the building, because they, along with most of the Chechen terrorists (who all had suicide vests on) were knocked out. Alfa took out the rest.

But the Russian military botched the recovery. They failed to stage ambulances, medical crews, and military doctors nearby. They also failed to prep the hospitals for incoming patients. They laid out the hostages on their backs on the sidewalk and steps of the theater. Some choked on their own tongues, others on their own vomit. Once the hostages were at hospitals, the Russian government repeatedly refused to release any information as to what kind of substance it was, or how to treat the patients. 120 hostages died because of that. Very few, or possibly even no hostages would be dead had the Russian government prepped better, and released information regarding the substance to the hospitals.

The AP posted:

https://www.apnews.com/256605b7679d4a61bde9a8eac8906ea9
The Russian government acknowledged that the aerosol contained fentanyl-related compounds, but refused to reveal the exact composition. Years later, British government scientists tested clothing and urine samples from three survivors and concluded that the aerosol contained carfentanil, one of the most potent opioids on the planet, as well as the less-powerful remifentanil.

Today, carfentanil is readily available from vendors in China, who offer to export the deadly substance around the world, no questions asked, an Associated Press investigation has found. Carfentanil is not a controlled substance in China, the world’s largest chemicals exporter, despite U.S. efforts to get Beijing to blacklist it.

The Moscow Times posted:

No Closure for Victims of Theater Hostage Crisis, 12 Years On
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/10/22/no-closure-for-victims-of-theater-hostage-crisis-12-years-on-video-a40678
As the gas took effect, Russian troops stormed the theater, shot the terrorists dead and began removing the unconscious hostages. Hostages were laid haphazardly on the front steps of the theater, making it nearly impossible for medical personnel on the scene to monitor who had already been treated and administer to the hostages with any kind of method.

The paramedics were not told what kind of gas had been used in the operation and were therefore unable to provide patients with a proper antidote. Nor were local hospitals warned of the arrival of the unconscious hostages.

"No one told the waiting buses where to take the people. Can you imagine?" Karpova says. "There was such a panic that the drivers were asking each other where they were supposed to take the injured hostages."

Some families did not know where their loved ones were or what had become of them for days after the operation, only to eventually track them down themselves by visiting the city's morgues. Karpova's hopes were dashed when she found her son's body in a hospital morgue.

A few days after the siege ended, Health Minister Yury Shevchenko said the gas was composed of fentanyl derivatives, a non-lethal opioid broadly used in medicine. Independent observers have said the use of fentanyl was extremely unlikely given the manner in which the hostages quickly became unconscious. To this day, authorities have not publicly identified the gas, and no one has been held accountable for the botched rescue operation.

"Could special forces have avoided storming the building? We don't know, we are not military strategists," Karpova says. "But what ordinary Russians cannot understand is how you can conduct an operation without knowing what comes next. They released the gas but didn't know how to get it out of people's systems."

In the aftermath of the siege, authorities claimed that the fatalities had occurred not as a result of the gas, but among people who had in fact succumbed to pre-existing chronic medical conditions.

"Sasha was young and healthy," Karpova says. "I was told that he died because his kidneys and liver were chronically diseased and that they had failed. There was not an ounce of truth in this. Even the children who died were listed as having had serious chronic illnesses."

Karpova spearheaded an investigation into the siege that she says found that 97 of the 130 hostages who perished, including her son, had not been given any medical assistance.

She has in her possession six official documents she says prove that Alexander was alive for more than 6 1/2 hours after the special forces' operation, but that he was put in a bus filled with corpses.

poo poo was bad.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 25, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nephzinho posted:

What a loving oval office.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wonder if Bernard will move his manufacturing back to the UK now they cant do business with the EU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Turns out some smart people are already worried about poo poo like this. Unfortunately, none of them are in the current administration. The NSC is completely hosed at this point. The entire executive branch is. We're hosed if anything actually serious happens with this loving petulant child in the oval office.

Former Acting CIA Director Mike Morell posted:

https://www.thecipherbrief.com/column_article/opioid-crisis-becomes-national-security-threat

The Opioid Crisis Becomes a National Security Threat
SEPTEMBER 3, 2017

[background on the Moscow theater hostage crisis]

Fast forward to June 2016, when authorities in Vancouver, Canada seized one kilogram of carfentanil. The agent was sent via mail from China to an address in Canada, and it was hidden in a package that was declared on a customs form to be printer accessories. It was the largest seizure of carfentanil to date.

Carfentanil, a synthetic opioid, is highly toxic. The drug is 10,000 times stronger than morphine and 5,000 times more potent than heroin. Only 20 micrograms, roughly the size of a grain of salt, can be fatal. The seizure in Vancouver was enough to kill 50 million people – every man, women, and child in Canada.

Carfentanil was developed in the 1970s as a tranquilizer for large animals – elephants and hippos. Dr. Rob Hilsenroth, the executive director of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians said last year that carfentanil is so powerful that zoo officials wear protective gear “just a little bit short of a hazmat suit” when sedating animals because even one drop in a person’s eye or nose can be fatal.

The extreme lethality of carfentanil has led most countries to classify it as a chemical weapon. It is banned from the battlefield under the Chemical Weapons Convention. Andrew Weber, President Barack Obama’s Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Defense Program, said it plainly and simply last year: “It’s a weapon.”

So, what is a chemical weapon doing on the streets of Canada – and the U.S.? Over the past year, drug dealers have learned that they can cut carfentanil into the heroin they sell to increase the “high” and to increase profits, as heroin is 15 times more expensive than carfentanil. In a public warning last fall, the Drug Enforcement Administration said “carfentanil is surfacing in more and more communities” and that it “has been linked to a significant number of overdose deaths in various parts of the country.”

The drug is largely produced in China by thousands of small chemical firms and shipped either through Mexico and Canada to the United States or directly through the mail system, often after an order is placed online. It is also produced by drug cartels in Mexico (with key ingredients imported from China). China, working with the United States, is now regulating carfentanil production and export, but the large number of producers there means the problem has only been reduced, not resolved.

There are signs that the production of carfentanil could be moving here as well, particularly after the Chinese government’s crack down. Some of equipment used to make carfentanil in China has been found in the United States. And the key ingredient to fentanyl – a less potent cousin of carfentanil – has also been discovered in the U.S., suggesting that fentanyl is being manufactured here. In May, federal agents in Massachusetts seized 50 kilograms of a key chemical used to make fentanyl.

The public discussion about – and the government focus on – carfentanil is all about the dangerous role it plays in the contemporary drug epidemic – with good reason. Drug overdoses, with a growing number caused by carfentanil, are now the leading cause of death from injury in the United States, surpassing motor vehicle accidents, suicides, and homicides. Some police and paramedics have themselves overdosed after coming into contact with carfentanil.

But the drug also constitutes a significant threat to national security. It is a weapon of mass destruction.

Indeed, carfentanil is the perfect terrorist weapon. It is readily available in large quantities. It comes in several forms – including tablets, powder, and spray. It can be absorbed through the skin or through inhalation. It acts quickly. And, it is deadly. Peter Ostrovsky, a senior official of the Immigration and Customs Service, said last fall, “Could it be weaponized? Yeah, it could be weaponized.” In short, a single terrorist attack using carfentanil could kill thousands of Americans.

And, there has been little focus on the drug as a terrorist weapon. In the Director of National Intelligence’s 2017 Worldwide Threat hearings, the issue of synthetic opioids was treated as part of the international drug problem, not as a terrorism risk. No one from either the Obama or Trump administrations has spoken publicly about the threat. The same is true for Congress. There has been little to no work by think tanks or the media on the terrorism risks.

This needs to change. There needs to be an NSC-directed policy and strategy on getting our arms around the national security risks of carfentanil – including increasing the focus of the Intelligence Community as well as the law enforcement and homeland security communities. There needs to be a focus by Congress, in part, to oversee the work of the Executive Branch. There needs to be work done at the state and local level that is integrated with what is happening at the federal level. There is a great deal to do.

Both al Qaeda and ISIS have said they are interested in acquiring weapons of mass destruction and that they would use them if they acquired them. Osama bin Laden called it a religious duty to do so. ISIS has used chemical weapons on the battlefield in Iraq and Syria. And now such a weapon is easily available to them. It would be a terrible tragedy if foreign terrorists were to use the consequences of our own domestic drug problem against us – particularly when it is so easy to see what might be coming.

Another good article from Bloomberg about it: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-12-12/killer-opioid-fentanyl-could-be-a-weapon-of-mass-destruction

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 25, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

EBB posted:

The German customs agency has been basically one step away from flinging itself out the window since the Brexit vote in 2016, because the entire process since then has been

"Right, let's wait for the higher-ups telling us when to move and what to do, because I'm told the governments will figure out some form of follow-up trade deal that will be in place in a timely fashion"

"Okay, looks like the governments might actually not end up unfucking this, let's figure out what kind of time-frame we're looking at. What do you mean 'not sure', surely there's a fixed day this goes into effect? How do you mean, 'kinda'?"

"Okay, what happens when the day is upon us? No one really knows? Okay let's plan based on some worst case scenarios"

"Okay, turns out no one really had a worst case scenario laid out for contingency planning. I'm pretty sure the one certain thing is that we'll need more administrative manpower, let's adjust recruiting and hope the politicians come up with some answers and don't gently caress up our estimated time-frame or projections."

"Alright folks, the politicians hosed up everything and didn't provide us with any more answers. But it looks like there's some kind of mechanism in place to avoid the worst case hard cut. In any case, I think we need to increase recruiting a lot more."

"Hey, so it looks like the logistics at every point of entry, especially the ports, might not be able to handle even the best-case scenario under this vague mechanism we were told about, we need to hire more people."

"They did what? But...but why? *sobbing noises* Okay, just crank up the recruiting numbers even more. What do you mean 'recruiting efforts over the last year aren't yielding the numbers we were hoping for'? JUST HIRE MORE PEOPLE DAMNIT!"

"Uh, the best contingency plans we have for logistics are based on the time before logistics information systems were really part of the process and don't work at all with the projections we're looking at in terms of unloading / admitting freight in any mode of transport, KEEP loving HIRING!"

"IT'S GONNA BE A HARD-CUT AFTER ALL? OH GOD."

HIRE.

loving.

EVERYONE.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 25, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Belfast better be ready for Troubles II: Carbomb Boogaloo

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
No more fresh flowers or fruit for the Brits.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be an incredible irony if all of Britain got scurvy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm stockpiling gin, tonic, and limes right now, and I don't even live in Britain.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Bored As gently caress posted:

No more fresh flowers or fruit for the Brits.

Plenty of poppies though, right?

'cuz they care a lot about that flower

It would be kinda funny if the UK boomers couldn't get the flower for their armistace day stuff because of Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I know I'm spamming but holy gently caress this is funny

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612974/once-hailed-as-unhackable-blockchains-are-now-getting-hacked/

Once hailed as unhackable, blockchains are now getting hacked

quote:

In total, hackers have stolen nearly $2 billion worth of cryptocurrency since the beginning of 2017, mostly from exchanges, and that’s just what has been revealed publicly. These are not just opportunistic lone attackers, either. Sophisticated cybercrime organizations are now doing it too: analytics firm Chainalysis recently said that just two groups, both of which are apparently still active, may have stolen a combined $1 billion from exchanges.

We shouldn’t be surprised. Blockchains are particularly attractive to thieves because fraudulent transactions can’t be reversed as they often can be in the traditional financial system. Besides that, we’ve long known that just as blockchains have unique security features, they have unique vulnerabilities. Marketing slogans and headlines that called the technology “unhackable” were dead wrong.