Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Shinjuku is cool too. There's a torikizoku next to golden gai where you can get drunk and eat endless sticks cheap with electronic ordering in your little cubby hole.

Edit: shio yakitori forever, gently caress tare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mikeycp posted:

yeah that's probably it.

osaka just feels lighter. i dunno it's largely a vibe thing for me. i'd take inaka over either.

Yeah. The more I travel around Japan the less I like Tokyo and it's almost entirely due to the people. All those stereotypes of how lovely and unfriendly Japanese can be are really just Tokyo people, everywhere else I've been has not been like that. Kyoto sort of since it's got the tourist trap problem.

Problem is Tokyo is the only mildly international city so as a place to live it has the advantage of being able to, like, get an actual pizza now and then. Osaka is the only competition there. As much as Matsumoto had the best vibe for me of anywhere I've been in Japan I think I'd eventually go crazy not being able to access anything not Japanese.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Grand Fromage posted:

Problem is Tokyo is the only mildly international city so as a place to live it has the advantage of being able to, like, get an actual pizza now and then. Osaka is the only competition there. As much as Matsumoto had the best vibe for me of anywhere I've been in Japan I think I'd eventually go crazy not being able to access anything not Japanese.

this is part of why i enjoyed my months in saitama so much. it wasn't so rural that there weren't anythings within walking distance. people were super friendly. and if i wanted something non-japanese tokyo wasn't very far away. omiya was a pretty decent city for stuff as well, in 2012.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I did think people were friendlier when I went to Osaka yeah. A person smiled at me on the subway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Problem is Tokyo is the only mildly international city so as a place to live it has the advantage of being able to, like, get an actual pizza now and then.

What the hell dude my town in Shikoku has enough real pizzerias (5+) that they're in fierce competition. The owners trained in Italy n poo poo. American style pizza is also available but loving expensive.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
What’s the advantage of people being friendly and what does that even mean

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It's sort of hard to put the whole being friendly thing into perspective, a lot of times it just means whatever inaka obachan bent over backwards to accommodate some gaijin-style request like adding Mr Bubble to the onsen or some poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

peanut posted:

What the hell dude my town in Shikoku has enough real pizzerias (5+) that they're in fierce competition. The owners trained in Italy n poo poo. American style pizza is also available but loving expensive.

Please don't nitpick a random example I pulled out of my butt, you know what I mean.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Snowflakes can’t accept city people don’t care about them

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I swear if someone comes in with an anecdote about some Osakan gently caress giving them extra condiments at McDonald’s

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

It is in fact Sapporo that has all the best food.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
There are lots of friendly people in inaka towns but for me it's counterbalanced somewhat by everyone constantly assuming I am incapable of communication

Not the biggest deal in the world, but still kind of annoying. In Tokyo at least people don't do that so much bcs being foreign is pretty normal

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

adding Mr Bubble to the onsen or some poo poo

lol

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Last night I learned that conbini are a weird place while drunk at 1:00 AM.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:discourse:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Also, what the hell is in lovely beer in Japan? I've never had this bad of a headache from just beer before.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Sounds like you've discovered Happoushu.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LimburgLimbo posted:

What’s the advantage of people being friendly and what does that even mean

it's more fun to interact with people who seem like they actually want to interact with you. also tokyo doesn't have a fun dialect so another minus for me, the linguistics nerd

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I don’t know what you guys are doing or where you’re going but I get more people trying to interact with me in Tokyo than I want to deal with. I guess if you like being everyone’s pet gaijin for the day or an hour the inaka is great but trust me it gets old having the same dumb conversation with randos in a real short while.

youcallthatatwist posted:

There are lots of friendly people in inaka towns but for me it's counterbalanced somewhat by everyone constantly assuming I am incapable of communication

Not the biggest deal in the world, but still kind of annoying. In Tokyo at least people don't do that so much bcs being foreign is pretty normal

Basically this.

In Tokyo I get to choose to interact or talk with people that seem like we have similar interests or could be mutually worth talking to. As a tourists or short time stayer maybe it’s cool to have people chat you up on the train but it’s much less interesting after literally the 100th time. I’m not on my great Asia adventure or gahp yahh.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
where do i have to go to find friendly people to discuss whether hirame, ganmarei, or fue draw the best ahegao?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

where do i have to go to find friendly people to discuss whether hirame, ganmarei, or fue draw the best ahegao?

Probably a goonmeet in France.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ this poster is correct

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm online booking hotels and see some listings for 'adult only' and my first thought is they don't want small kids or babies there disturbing people but then I looked it up online and apparently these are rooms in love hotels.

I have always been strangely fascinated with love hotels. I have one of those Tatsumi Mook books (I also have one on capsule toys and ten yen games in that series), this one in fact:

And when I went to Tokyo last year I made a point of visiting love hotel hill hoping to see some of these gaudy neon lit establishments. Sadly they have become much more subtle than the examples shown in my book (which had pictures from the 80s it seems).

I'd seen some videos on youtube where there are still very strange themed rooms available at some locations but all the ones there were pretty bland.

Anyways, all that said: why in the hell would anyone as a visiting tourist want to book a love hotel room for their stay?!

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
cheap and good location

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

w/e i just don't enjoy tokyo and no amount of telling me i'm doing it wrong is gonna change that

and my dialect point still stands

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Most of the remaining gaudy-rear end love hotels will be outside of the city center and away from train lines, for the most part. There’s still a few unreal looking ones in the countryside and even near the highway in some spots.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

There's one in the shape of a disneyland castle right next to Meguro river that I always kind of wanted to stay at.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Love hotels are awesome and the room/bath is usually bigger and better than a business hotel. The only problem is that they don't support multiple nights.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Kabukicho seems to have a large selection of extravagant love hotels.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I'm online booking hotels and see some listings for 'adult only' and my first thought is they don't want small kids or babies there disturbing people but then I looked it up online and apparently these are rooms in love hotels.

I have always been strangely fascinated with love hotels. I have one of those Tatsumi Mook books (I also have one on capsule toys and ten yen games in that series), this one in fact:

And when I went to Tokyo last year I made a point of visiting love hotel hill hoping to see some of these gaudy neon lit establishments. Sadly they have become much more subtle than the examples shown in my book (which had pictures from the 80s it seems).

I'd seen some videos on youtube where there are still very strange themed rooms available at some locations but all the ones there were pretty bland.

Anyways, all that said: why in the hell would anyone as a visiting tourist want to book a love hotel room for their stay?!

I went to one once and we were weirded out because there were a bunch or Barbie dolls in different sets on the walls in like small enclosures. We just picked the room at random in the cheapest place we could find in one part of Osaka

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I also accidentally broke a plastic thing off the door lock at one of them I went to in Nagoya. I was gonna miss my train to Tokyo and we couldn't figure out how to open the door. I ended up having to pay 9000 for my mistake

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I stayed in a former love hotel in Seoul and it was good but the downside was that the shower was surrounded with mirrors (for a better view of how you are loving I guess) and who doesn't love seeing their own naked rear end from every angle at 8 in the morning?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wow, I didn't expect love hotels to be so accepted.

I mean I expect that any hotel I stay in people have done more than sleep in the bed, and if CSI is to be believed every surface in the rooom is covered in dna, I just figured the idea of using a mattress that is used almost exclusively for 'love' would be magnitudes worse and it was inconceivable that people would want to crash on them as a tourist to save a few bucks. What do I know.

BB2K posted:

I went to one once and we were weirded out because there were a bunch or Barbie dolls in different sets on the walls in like small enclosures. We just picked the room at random in the cheapest place we could find in one part of Osaka

Thats part of my fascination with these things. I get the idea, we have roadside attractions that use the strange to attract customers... hot dog stands that look like giant hot dogs or 'worlds largest ... next stop' but some of the decor was/is just bizarre.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

youcallthatatwist posted:

I don't get this because I'm Asian-American so people assume I can speak Japanese immediately. I get more of the Gaijin treatment in like Tokyo and Kyoto instead.

mikeycp posted:

w/e i just don't enjoy tokyo and no amount of telling me i'm doing it wrong is gonna change that

To be honest I dont like spending much time in Tokyo either on my trips to Japan either. Shopping is great but it turns out that you can buy things for the same price/quality on Amazon in the US these days. Stringent will say the food is really good which is true if you spend a lot of money (except on B-kyu food/ramen/etc.), but I've found better versions of most food and seafood in various rural areas or other minor cities.

Japanese countryside rules

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

captkirk posted:

Also, what the hell is in lovely beer in Japan? I've never had this bad of a headache from just beer before.

It’s probably not beer. It’s beer flavoured Japanese alcohol and it’s loving gross.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

I've found better versions of most food and seafood in various rural areas or other minor cities.

I agree with that as far as washoku goes, and non-washoku doesn't really have any cachet for non-residents.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Indeed,

As a tourist I'm not going to be eating non-washoku very much.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

ntan1 posted:

I don't get this because I'm Asian-American so people assume I can speak Japanese immediately. I get more of the Gaijin treatment in like Tokyo and Kyoto instead.

To be honest I dont like spending much time in Tokyo either on my trips to Japan either. Shopping is great but it turns out that you can buy things for the same price/quality on Amazon in the US these days. Stringent will say the food is really good which is true if you spend a lot of money (except on B-kyu food/ramen/etc.), but I've found better versions of most food and seafood in various rural areas or other minor cities.

Japanese countryside rules

That's really interesting! I definitely agree on the food bit, I've had plenty of great food in rural towns for cheaper than what it would be in the capital. It's possible that I don't get the gaijin treatment as much in Tokyo because I live and study at a university known for international students, so people are used to it. That said I'm pretty sure almost every conversation I've had in the countryside has hit a point of WOW NIHONGO SUBARASHII WHERE ARE YOU FROM etc. eventually, whereas that never really happens in Tokyo. I wonder if perception of ethnicity affects it somehow.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Quick airport question: My wife and are spending 10 days in Thailand before flying to Osaka via Tokyo. I'm concerned about the transfer time. We're flying an overnight flight from Bangkok to Haneda, arriving 5:55 am at terminal K. Our flight to Osaka is at 8 am, also at Haneda but terminal D2. So a little over 2 hours to do immigration and transfer terminals, assuming no delays. I can't imagine immigration being too busy at 6am but some reassurance would be nice. We're Canadian for what it's worth and both flights are ANA so I imagine they'd bump us to the next flight if there is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

geese posted:

Quick airport question: My wife and are spending 10 days in Thailand before flying to Osaka via Tokyo. I'm concerned about the transfer time. We're flying an overnight flight from Bangkok to Haneda, arriving 5:55 am at terminal K. Our flight to Osaka is at 8 am, also at Haneda but terminal D2. So a little over 2 hours to do immigration and transfer terminals, assuming no delays. I can't imagine immigration being too busy at 6am but some reassurance would be nice. We're Canadian for what it's worth and both flights are ANA so I imagine they'd bump us to the next flight if there is a problem.

You're fine.