Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

its stain "less", not stain "free"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hey beer how did you do the rocky parts of your base that come up a little bit?

Oyster shells.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

R0ckfish posted:

I am no material scientist but if I remember correctly stainless steel relies on an oxide to remain stainless, so can corrode in an absence of oxygen.

Wouldn't the oxygen in the water do? Also wait, isn't oxygen what causes rust in the first place? I honestly have no idea about chemistry and physics <.<

Re: Scoundrel. I too think the Scoundrel may have a robber mask on, although none of the pictures I've found online we're painted that way and the official art has no mask. Also it only seem to be sculpted on part of the model's face :iiam:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

It could probably do with at least some additional highlights (especially the skin tone) but I'm a bit baffled by the weird surfaces some parts of the miniature have - like the "ridge" right below the right eye.

The Gloomhaven miniatures are pretty faithful to their concept art, kinda to their detriment since the concept art clearly wasn't made with minis in mind. So take a look at them if you're confused what some component is, which will probably happen plenty.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

The Moon Monster posted:

The Gloomhaven miniatures are pretty faithful to their concept art, kinda to their detriment since the concept art clearly wasn't made with minis in mind. So take a look at them if you're confused what some component is, which will probably happen plenty.

You know what, zooming in on the concept art I can see the outline of a light brown mask on her face. Never noticed it before on the character's card while playing.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can anyone recommend an online 2D digital art painting class?

I’m struggling with things like OSL, conceptualizing with consistency the placement of the light (on nmm and non) and figured something like this would help. It would probably help in all aspects of miniature painting.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Honestly the best way to learn to paint textures either on computer or on canvas, is to just get some photos of the material you want to replicate and paint a solid cube of it. Like a cube of wood, a cube of rusty metal, a cube of glass or water. Just by copying photos. There's isn't really a trick to textures it's just something you have to know. Now there are plenty of tricks to making textures with different mediums but that's a whole nother story.

I am beginning to loathe these boys. I think I much prefer painting single models rather than squads. Factory line painting is really not doing it for me.

But eh neatly there. I also just spent way to much money on a bunch of new models to paint. This could become a problem.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Wouldn't the oxygen in the water do? Also wait, isn't oxygen what causes rust in the first place? I honestly have no idea about chemistry and physics <.<

Re: Scoundrel. I too think the Scoundrel may have a robber mask on, although none of the pictures I've found online we're painted that way and the official art has no mask. Also it only seem to be sculpted on part of the model's face :iiam:

Stainless steels have a layer that is passivated and won't corrode*. The catch is saying stainless is like saying paint, there are varieties that won't corrode in ridiculously strong acids (inconel, monel, hastalloy) while other grades that will rust in your kitchen sink. Some will corrode, but not create rust like you know it. My guess is the stainless ball bearings most people use are the absolute cheapest grades (409) and have just enough chromium to meet the basic definition. Ceramic, as Beer used, is a good choice but not as dense (3-6 g/cm3). For maximum density and corrosion resistance get tungsten carbide balls (almost as dense as gold). It's possible that pigments may react with the passivated layer depending on how the color is created.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had stainless balls corrode in my bottles, but they were 10+ years old.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I use hematite beads (essentially they're already made of rust) and they haven't caused any issues in several years. I like them over glass beads because they're a lot denser, so they rattle around real good.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

beergod posted:

Can anyone recommend an online 2D digital art painting class?

I’m struggling with things like OSL, conceptualizing with consistency the placement of the light (on nmm and non) and figured something like this would help. It would probably help in all aspects of miniature painting.

Istebrak on youtube is good at explaining why she is doing things while she does paint overs on students digital work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a way to strip the paint off these and start all over? I am really unhappy with how these two turned out. :/

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If you're in the States, Castrol Super Clean (the poo poo in the purple bottle) will strip paint and superglue while being safe for the plastic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking at them some more up close with pics from my phone, I may still be able to salvage them. Going to need a lot of touch up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

BlackIronHeart posted:

If you're in the States, Castrol Super Clean (the poo poo in the purple bottle) will strip paint and superglue while being safe for the plastic.

Even cheaper is L.A.'s Totally Awesome household cleaner, which is available in bottles at Dollar Tree for a buck, or Dollar General in a bigger jug for around $3. Works just as well as Simple Green or Purple Power, is just as safe to pour down the drain when you're done, and will strip the oils from your hands the exact same way as the others if you're not careful. :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Even cheaper is L.A.'s Totally Awesome household cleaner, which is available in bottles at Dollar Tree for a buck, or Dollar General in a bigger jug for around $3. Works just as well as Simple Green or Purple Power, is just as safe to pour down the drain when you're done, and will strip the oils from your hands the exact same way as the others if you're not careful. :v:

Ya all are missing out on Dawn Power Dissolver. It's more expensive per bottle but it's a gel you spray directly onto the model so you don't use much. Its plastic and drain safe, works in about 20 minutes, and takes off paint that LATA and Simple Green could not after a week of soaking.

It's also apparently really great at cleaning greasy pans.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bucnasti posted:

Ya all are missing out on Dawn Power Dissolver. It's more expensive per bottle but it's a gel you spray directly onto the model so you don't use much. Its plastic and drain safe, works in about 20 minutes, and takes off paint that LATA and Simple Green could not after a week of soaking.

It's also apparently really great at cleaning greasy pans.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, for both purposes. :v:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Cross-posting from the 40K thread, the result of me bugging goons for advice:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wanted to post my discord painting contest entry in here because I'm pretty proud of it. I've been back in the painting hobby for a little under a year and it's probably the best thing I've done so far.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I painted a large spooky man, was a fun project to learn the new airbrush.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought my GW order but forgot to consider the eye lens color. What would look best with White as a primary and orange as a secondary? I thought about just doing the silver + blue shade thing, is that a good idea?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Slandible posted:

I painted a large spooky man, was a fun project to learn the new airbrush.

Airbrushes are fun, good job

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm making a moon terrain piece out of a large styrofoam hemisphere.

After priming/basecoating it with the airbrush, I noticed some pits in the styrofoam texture that were kind of distractingly visible:

So I'm wondering what my options are. My first thought was to take the gloss medium I've got lying around, go over it with white/gloss mix, then go over it with white again to try to get rid of the gloss.

Sort of weird to think "ok I need this detail gone immediately."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wdarkk posted:

I'm making a moon terrain piece out of a large styrofoam hemisphere.

After priming/basecoating it with the airbrush, I noticed some pits in the styrofoam texture that were kind of distractingly visible:

So I'm wondering what my options are. My first thought was to take the gloss medium I've got lying around, go over it with white/gloss mix, then go over it with white again to try to get rid of the gloss.

Sort of weird to think "ok I need this detail gone immediately."

I use PVA (Elmer's Glue) for that kind of thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I use PVA (Elmer's Glue) for that kind of thing.

That sounds like a good idea. Mix paint in, or just paint over it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Even though I should learn how to do gem effects on my own the citadel technical paints for it pretty much rule, Im surprised how good they turn out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wdarkk posted:

That sounds like a good idea. Mix paint in, or just paint over it?

Paint over it. You can also do things like add sand or other texture to the PVA depending on the desired effect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Things I learned this weekend from painting; get better at thinning my loving paints. I essentially ruined three models this weekend and I'm not happy with how they turned out cause I'm an idiot.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Controversial opinion: I don't thin my paints at all, at least not on the palette. Instead I keep my brush "suitably" wet, pick up some paint, and brush down on the wet palette until I get the consistency I need.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sounds like a great way to wreck a brush

Thin your paints people

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

I said come in! posted:

Things I learned this weekend from painting; get better at thinning my loving paints. I essentially ruined three models this weekend and I'm not happy with how they turned out cause I'm an idiot.

You can always strip them!

I stripped some old guard tanks i painted years ago to give me something to practice airbrushing and there was some odd satisfaction watching the super thick, super terrible paint job sloughing off the model after a day steeping in dettol.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Sounds like a great way to wreck a brush

My 10+ years old brushes, excepting the awful Army Painter brushes the disintegrated the first day, would disagree with you. Granted, my most used brushes don't hold as fine a tip as when they were new, but I doubt any brush does that. I don't see how this technique of mine is any worse for brushes than any other; I scoop paint from the pot with a flattened tooth-pick, deposit the paint on the wet palette, wetten the brush, pick up some paint with the tip, then brush on the wet palette until I get the wanted saturation and consistency. IIRC, fairly standard water-colour painting technique.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Depending on the consistency of the paint and the application you're using it for it's sometimes appropriate to not thin it anymore than you get from using a moist brush and a wet palette. Like if you're basecoating with red or something. That said if you're new I'd just thin everything until you get a good feel for paint consistency. Leaving brushstrokes or a blobby texture looks real bad.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fair enough, your description made it sound like you were picking up the paint from the pot with the brush

It still seems unnecessary though, why not just thin once instead of having to do it with every new paint load on the brush?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Haha! I’m unorthodox, not a madman :) I’ve painted water-colours for 20 or so years, and it’s what I’m most comfortable with. Also, it gives me more control over the viscosity of the paint, rather than dropping an uncertain amount of water into an uncertain amount of paint. Besides, the water in Denmark as hard as gently caress, so too much of it tends to leave chalk rings at the edges.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

inscrutable horse posted:

I’ve painted water-colours for 20 or so years, and it’s what I’m most comfortable with.

Ultimately this is all that matters. It works for you and you're comfortable with it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I used only Reaper paints and a wet palette and I rarely felt the need to thin my paints. Then I tried some Army Painter gray and I got why people talk about thinning paints so much, that stuff is like toothpaste.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I used only Reaper paints and a wet palette and I rarely felt the need to thin my paints. Then I tried some Army Painter gray and I got why people talk about thinning paints so much, that stuff is like toothpaste.

I don't have too many Reaper brand paints, but every time I use them I forget just how much less viscous it is compared to most other brands. poo poo's crazy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I bought my GW order but forgot to consider the eye lens color. What would look best with White as a primary and orange as a secondary? I thought about just doing the silver + blue shade thing, is that a good idea?

I would do blue for two reasons:

Good complimentary color
Doesn't need other shades for highlighting, can just mix white.

With green you really need yellow for nice looking highlights, that would be my second choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Weird, I have the opposite feedback on AP grays, at least the 2 I've tried (wolf gray and another one that is lighter, don't remember the name), they are very thin and watery even after shaking the containers with a steel ball in it. My AP white is toothpaste-like in consistency though (to the point that I'm using a bit of it and a bit of black to add thickness to the grays).

EDIT: speaking of color theory, is there a simple guide made specifically for miniatures, maybe with your typical GW, AP or Vallejo color names? I know the basic idea behind it, but I'm not sure which specific blue would suite a flesh tone and stuff like.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 25, 2019