Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I chose Bohemian Rhapsody for the sound cats on my ballot so I need this

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

every bohemian rhapsody win makes me lol

I haven’t seen the movie so all I think about when it’s mentioned is that clip that was posted on twitter with the weird constant cuts between all the characters

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bohemian Rhapsody is strictly speaking not a good movie but sound editing and Rami Malek are okay wins

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Quiet Place was robbed, and yes you should watch A Star is Born, it is excellent. Though if you're only going to watch one I'd still recommend Judy Garland's over it.

e: the stuff they did to make malek sound like mercury was impressive stuff, but idk if it really deserves either sound category

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It is not surprising that the movie about making music won the sound awards, especially since the Live Aid concert sequence is supposed to be a stunner.

I have Rami Malek to win too and he deserves it for Mr. Robot so I'm okay with that one

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

every bohemian rhapsody win makes me lol

They combined the performances of two dudes and created stadium sound mixes out of dreadful monitor recordings. This award was well deserved.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
We styled the most under-appreciated members of the team in the cheapest clothes available!

gently caress you, crew!

Brought to you by Wal-Mart

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Baronash posted:

They combined the performances of two dudes and created stadium sound mixes out of dreadful monitor recordings. This award was well deserved.

Three dudes, iirc. Malek, a Canadian singer whose name I keep forgetting, and Mercury himself.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
lol did Damien Chazelle even show up

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Does the disembodied voice get paid as much a previous Oscar host? She's doing a better job of it so far.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lol they invited Latifah to introduce it just for that queen joke

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really wanted to see the Favourite but never got around to it, it looks so good.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm trying to think of movies I saw from 2018 that were worse than Bohemian Rhapsody and all that's coming to mind is The Cloverfield Paradox

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

It is not surprising that the movie about making music won the sound awards, especially since the Live Aid concert sequence is supposed to be a stunner.

I have Rami Malek to win too and he deserves it for Mr. Robot so I'm okay with that one
They recreated the entire Live Aid performance and it’s real good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I really wanted to see the Favourite but never got around to it, it looks so good.
It’s really good and my favourite (heh) movie of the year

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

I'm trying to think of movies I saw from 2018 that were worse than Bohemian Rhapsody and all that's coming to mind is The Cloverfield Paradox

Let me tell you about a little movie named Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s really good and my favourite (heh) movie of the year

:yeah:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

They recreated the entire Live Aid performance and it’s real good.

Yeah, but I could just watch the real performance on YouTube and save myself 2 hours.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther sweeping the Oscars seems like a desperate attempt by the Academy to respond to declining ratings.

"OK, what were the biggest movies this year?"

"Well, Avengers is at the top."

"That's a no."

"Well, Black Panther is second."

"...Well, I guess it'll satisfy those #OscarsSoWhite bastards. What was third?"

"Jurassic World 2."

"You gotta be loving kidding me. Next."

"Incredibles 2."

"Animated movies are going to stay in the goddamn cave they belong. Next."

"Aquaman, Venom..."

"Oh my god."

"...Bohemian Rhapsody, Mission Impossible..."

"loving FINALLY. Give them all to Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody. And give a couple to Roma, they've dumped enough truckloads of cash at my doorstep to earn it."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Okay what the gently caress do we need a host for

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Glad Roma won the Roma award. Still holding out hope it’ll get BP too

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wrong nomination for Poppins, if they had guts it'd have been A Cover Is Not The Book

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CapnAndy posted:

Black Panther was not supposed to be winning these and it is a worrying sign that the Academy may have gone sane.

I bet on them being the Academy, not them picking the right winners, you see.

shut up lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i saw the first half of Holmes and Watson and let me assure you, that one is the worst

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
drat bette midler still fuckable after all these years

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Venom is terrible

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm Real Dissatisfied with the Oscars this year, but I do agree that the lack of a host is a major plus.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i saw Bette Midler in Hello Dolly a year or so ago and she fuckinb killed it

Miss M is the queen

OnlySlightly
Jan 26, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Venom is terrible

Venom is only terrible if you don't realize it's a romantic comedy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DC Murderverse posted:

i saw the first half of Holmes and Watson and let me assure you, that one is the worst

I'll caveat my statement by saying I try to avoid things that I know are gonna suck unless they get nominated for Best Picture. Venom is also borderline, though entertaining.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Venom was wonderful and I probably enjoyed it more than Avengers this year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CapnAndy posted:

It's a loving incredible film, one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i just want richard e. grant to win

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

i just want richard e. grant to win

Mahershala is gonna win as repayment for having to spend an entire awards cycle with that dummy who wrote Green Book

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if instead of this we had to deal with fuckin Kevin Hart for three hours

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hoping Roma sweeps everything tbh

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Venom is terrible
Venom is redeemed by Tom Hardy picking himself up and throwing himself into the role by his own feet somehow.

Also there's also the editing so terrible that they find half a dozen symbiotes clinging to an asteroid in space and an hour later, one of them is claiming to be the king of an entire symbiote planet and nobody reacts like that's new information.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you shoudl watch the whole movie but you can just watch richard e. grant's last scene and be moved to tears. the brutally honest oscar ballot guy called it the best acting of the year and he's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Why does Michael Keaton sound weird?