Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

CBV is in top 3 for spells.

It's really incredible overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
For Friede's boss fight I left a simple message.

"Try stabbing in the back,
Only stabbing in the back required"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

It's really incredible overall

I put rapport above it for farming fat angels and that's it I think.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I put rapport above it for farming fat angels and that's it I think.

I literally never used rapport because I read that alot of things are immune

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lawman 0 posted:

I literally never used rapport because I read that alot of things are immune

A lot of things are immune, but it’s nice to have if you know what it affects. The crow knights in the Painted World, Pus of Man, winged knights are all totally neutralized by it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

skasion posted:

A lot of things are immune, but it’s nice to have if you know what it affects. The crow knights in the Painted World, Pus of Man, winged knights are all totally neutralized by it.

They kill each other for your amusement while giving you 100k souls in Lothric Castle, it's amazing.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My internet is a 4g hotspot. I feel like I will always be at a disadvantage from lag with p2p matching.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I haven’t played the dlc yet. Did they add any bone fist equivalent, or any decent fist weapons? I want to do a Bruce Lee character in DS3.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Nope.

And speaking as someone who did a dual caestus and bonefist run in DS2 and ha d a lot of fun with it, that is the worst decision From ever made.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

vandalism posted:

My internet is a 4g hotspot. I feel like I will always be at a disadvantage from lag with p2p matching.
you will always be at a disadvantage from lag in any pvp game frankly

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

vandalism posted:

The more common problem is you can be matched with someone on the other side of the world and you have to decide whether it's worth learning to play around latency (it is)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does anyone on PC have a Drang Armor they’d be willing to donate? I screwed up and sold mine and you can only get it once

:negative:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Starting Dark Souls 3 tonight after never having played before, only played Bloodborne. Any beginner tips while it’s installing ? On PS4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Either use a guide for character quests or accept that you won't finish any of them except by pure chance.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Don't use a caster for your first playthrough.

You have way more I Frames on your rolls so you're supposed to roll through attacks and not Dodge around them

If you quit out of the menu AFTER reallocating your stats you won't use up one of your rebirths

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 25, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
R1 is the light attack button

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
defeat your enemies in battle

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

accept that you won't finish any of them except by pure chance.

Embrace the mystery. Don't use a guide on your first run. You'll be back, but on the off-chance you decide not to you wouldn't have cared for the quests anyway.

Also two handing a great hammer is a simple, effective, and satisfying pve build that lets you wear good armor.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Does anyone on PC have a Drang Armor they’d be willing to donate? I screwed up and sold mine and you can only get it once

:negative:

Dang armor

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

bows1 posted:

Starting Dark Souls 3 tonight after never having played before, only played Bloodborne. Any beginner tips while it’s installing ? On PS4

In undead settlement you will find a Caestus. Do not sell it, it's the best parrying tool in the game.

So I noticed this in my current playthough for the first time ever.

Ghru deserve extinction. :colbert:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know much about parrying, how is it better than the parry dagger or the various small shields?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think caestus parry might be a meme? It's strictly worse than the parrying shields when it comes to frames:

It does have perseverance so I guess maybe that's why PvPers use it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't know much about parrying, how is it better than the parry dagger or the various small shields?

The cestus and parrying shields (buckler, target shield, small leather shield) enter their active frames sooner than other parrying tools, so you can hit the button later and still parry. Parrying shields have more active frames than the cestus, so are technically the best parrying tool, but the cestus also has an excellent weapon art, is very light, and is kind of hard to notice.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's good to know. I was doing okay with the Target and Llewellyn Shields for awhile. Some streamers prefer the iron shield, any particular reason?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

defeat your enemies in battle

*gently pushing your controller down* no, not that enemy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's good to know. I was doing okay with the Target and Llewellyn Shields for awhile. Some streamers prefer the iron shield, any particular reason?

No real stat requirement, low weight, good parry frames, and high stability if you need to block for some reason.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

bows1 posted:

Under 30% equip load for fast and long roll
30 - 70% equip load for medium roll
Please don't go over 69.9% equip load

Play knight class and keep the starting weapons

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

bows1 posted:

Start as a k***ht.

One hand and shield plus good armor always worked for me starting out.

Dying is part of the game and to be expected.

Gestures and fashion are the true end game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bows1 posted:

Chunks are MUCH more prevalent in this game so upgrade whatever you like, you'll be able to buy them for a decent price later.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gimmick invasions are my endgame. Big Red Coward is my favorite, I like to see how long players will chase me before they get tried and give up.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

bows1 posted:

Shields work in this game. You don't need to use them (DS3 brought over a lot of the more dodge focused combat of BB) but if you like, you can turtle behind a shield for a very different gameplay experience from what you are used to.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What the HELL happened to Darkwraiths? The pair that walks up to Abyss Watchers used to get annihilated fighting their way up to the door, now they deal like 3x as much damage. Did they get buffed?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sometimes the pathing gets hosed up and screws up the combat sequence. If both darkeraiths end up sticking together when they aggro the ghru on the right, they wreck the whole map. If they seperate, then usually one survives and one dies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

feelix posted:

I think caestus parry might be a meme? It's strictly worse than the parrying shields when it comes to frames:

It does have perseverance so I guess maybe that's why PvPers use it
I refuse to believe the Farron GS parry is as good as a medium shield, it feels so bad

Also lmao at the only parry you have to pay actual FP for, Katana, being unquestionably the actual worst and completely terrible

As for the fist parry, I feel like it might have less recovery frames than parrying shields? That would give it a unique usefulness.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Awesome thanks for all the help. Started with the K and figured out the fire shrine pretty quickly thanks to BB experience. Game looks great, but its really hard to get used to having block actually work, and even on big bosses.

Was also fairly easy to parry + visceral that first boss which feels good. Definitely have to get used to the play style but Im digging it so far

Game looks great too

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I swear I saw some table that laid out how weapon infusion scaling works. Mainly, most weapons seem to get about a 10% damage increase from going Raw, except for a couple hammers, which have a whopping 25-30% boost. I thought it had something to do with base AR but clearly not, and I'd say it's based on scaling but there are other weapons with great scaling that don't benefit much from Raw. Is there any rhyme or reason to which infusions work well?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt comfortable going with Herald my first time because I've played 1 and 2, and the Herald has a 100% physical block sheild starting, and the spear is pretty good if you want to keep your distance. It has a heal, but not a good heal, but they having a better defense helps. And Miracles never were good in any DS game, except Lightning Bolt.

I realized that my first DS3 character I made an Irithylian because I always liked pale as a gently caress characters, and I didn't realize that it was actually a location in the game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I swear I saw some table that laid out how weapon infusion scaling works. Mainly, most weapons seem to get about a 10% damage increase from going Raw, except for a couple hammers, which have a whopping 25-30% boost. I thought it had something to do with base AR but clearly not, and I'd say it's based on scaling but there are other weapons with great scaling that don't benefit much from Raw. Is there any rhyme or reason to which infusions work well?

There's an Excel sheet laying around after the latest update that basically points out except for a weapons it doesn't matter if you go quality, Dex, or strength. The AR difference will be like 508 to 503 at comparable soul levels.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Doing covenant stuff for the first time to get that platinum and it's my first time really getting involved with PVP stuff.

It's just so friggin' bizarre to me that, when I get summoned as an Aldrich Faithful, more than half the time it's these weirdo hosts who have these private little fight clubs set up where they sit on the sidelines and expect you to duel with all the phantoms they've summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Chaos Bed the whole lot of em imo :getin: