Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The PPC candidate in Burnaby published some of their internal polling:

https://twitter.com/LauraLynnTT/status/1099496273076338688

e: and in case you missed it, Pinterest Mom posted a nice writeup about deficits on the bottom of the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't quite believe it, but the only thing more entertaining than Jagmeet losing would be Jagmeet losing to the PPC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's a small sample size if that gives you any comfort, but it's also exactly the kind of thing candidates do to boost enthusiasm and turnout for their supporters.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1099513315401875456
"local students"

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

How is this a surprise? When I was a student, I volunteered at a Socred candidate's office (friend of family's at the time) and we did the phone outs. It was pretty straight-forward - you had a phone list, and you called people and asked them if they'd vote for your guy. If they said yes, you ticked the box. If no, you ticked that box and went on to the next call. Hardly a methodological concern for this sort of non-political study.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

less than three posted:

I don't quite believe it, but the only thing more entertaining than Jagmeet losing would be Jagmeet losing to the PPC.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

So some idiots from BCIT ran a poll that swayed libertarian WHAT A SHOCK.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I like that "Other" is both ahead and below the Cons

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

How is this a surprise? When I was a student, I volunteered at a Socred candidate's office (friend of family's at the time) and we did the phone outs. It was pretty straight-forward - you had a phone list, and you called people and asked them if they'd vote for your guy. If they said yes, you ticked the box. If no, you ticked that box and went on to the next call. Hardly a methodological concern for this sort of non-political study.

I'm sure Burnaby has lovely local students, but there's a big difference between identifying supporters and conducting a poll. Given that she identifies the calls as being made on February 21 between 6 and 8 PM, it's likely that this is just a compilation of everybody they called that particular night, and they released the numbers after realising they were ahead that night. Which, they were probably calling people they thought were at least somewhat likely to vote for them, and I doubt that they made an effort to reach people in the language they're most comfortable with, and if they only released this one day, it's likely they didn't have good news in all the other days they've been phone banking.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's a bunch of Liberal supporters holding signs and yelling and cheering on the intersection right next to my apartment which has reminded me that I need to hold my nose and vote Orange to spite them even though I'm heavily sleep deprived from taking my cat to the emergency vet

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

So yeah idk "fiscal responsibility" isn't made up, there are real reasons to not just debt finance everything, but right-wing parties braying about fiscal responsibility are usually full of poo poo, and 20 billion dollar deficits (which the LPC are currently running) seem to be sustainable in terms of keeping debt/gdp stable rn.

It's a great post, but one of the things which is absolutely going to suck, worldwide, is what's going to happen when interest rates start to rise. The under control deficit (at a Federal level) is only under control thanks to historically low interest rates. If they return to the historically expected levels, the amount paid for debt servicing is going to go way up, which will result in much higher deficits even if services were cut.

How many governments would pass the stress test that's been imposed on new home buyers? Certainly not Ontario.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm sure Burnaby has lovely local students, but there's a big difference between identifying supporters and conducting a poll. Given that she identifies the calls as being made on February 21 between 6 and 8 PM, it's likely that this is just a compilation of everybody they called that particular night, and they released the numbers after realising they were ahead that night. Which, they were probably calling people they thought were at least somewhat likely to vote for them, and I doubt that they made an effort to reach people in the language they're most comfortable with, and if they only released this one day, it's likely they didn't have good news in all the other days they've been phone banking.

Oh, I totally agree. Meant to say non-scientific poll (obviously it’s political). My not so clear point was that if someone is going to criticize a poll do it on some other grounds than ‘who is working the phone bank’ which is what that tweet was doing. Plus their avatar is rolling their eyes which made me want to criticize their criticism even more!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eej posted:

There's a bunch of Liberal supporters holding signs and yelling and cheering on the intersection right next to my apartment which has reminded me that I need to hold my nose and vote Orange to spite them even though I'm heavily sleep deprived from taking my cat to the emergency vet

I hope your kitty is okay!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Getting an ultrasound, hopefully his spell of vomiting is due to eating like, a clump of hair and not a tumour in the stomach or somewhere else pressing on his stomach

Honestly I'm so tired idk if i wanna bother voting even though the voting center is like, 1km away

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Eej posted:

Getting an ultrasound, hopefully his spell of vomiting is due to eating like, a clump of hair and not a tumour in the stomach or somewhere else pressing on his stomach

Honestly I'm so tired idk if i wanna bother voting even though the voting center is like, 1km away

Take a nap. Polls are open til 7:00pm (Assuming you are burnaby south). If you are York or Outremont, til 9:30pm even!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If any of you all canadians want to see some good and extremely political theater I can't recommend "children of god" more. It's a musical about residential schools currently playing in Vancouver and will be playing in other cities throughout the year.
http://www.coreypayette.com

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm totally shocked that people who still have their phone numbers listed in the white pages are voting for the former host of The 700 Club

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 25, 2019

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Dofo's Camper Docs dropped.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-camper-van-1.5032704

Like a top-secret weenie mobile.

quote:

Customizing a van for Premier Doug Ford — with items that included a reclining leather sofa and a mini-fridge — would have cost taxpayers more than $50,000, according to a document filed in Ontario Superior Court.

"Please keep in mind this is only the conversion cost this is excluding the price of the van," says the estimate dated Nov. 21, 2018, from a company called A1 Mobility.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Literally the Homer Car.

What a time to be alive.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lmao, doug loving owns

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Yeah, I gotta say as a phone poller, it was always extremely surprising to get an answer from anyone under 40.

Unless the PPC has an extremely effective ground game in Burnaby, no way in hell those are real numbers. Even my kind of well informed friends have no idea who that party is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Literally Doug McKenzie.

Got elected to make beer a dollar, and get a new van.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
let him have the van, I say

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

In non-surprising media: https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1100161679910977536

Burn down their homes

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Just voted in Outremont. Good luck Julia Sanchez! If i were to base results on the experience at my poll it’s a Liberal landslide due to extremely high Orthodox Jewish turnout. They vote lib, right?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/CamWesthead/status/1100067215146020864

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Really, really hope Singh wins.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean, I kind of want the NDP to have to find a new leader but I don't know who they'd even pick that would be good at this point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Entropic posted:

I mean, I kind of want the NDP to have to find a new leader but I don't know who they'd even pick that would be good at this point.

Well there's a pretty good option who's probably going to be out of a job in Alberta shortly.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

Svend Robinson

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Well there's a pretty good option who's probably going to be out of a job in Alberta shortly.

This thread doesn't want centrists.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
CBC News has rolled out a big TV and put the Elections Canada web page on it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well, looking at early results, so far, looks like People's Party is a wet fart thank god.

But, Outremont looks like going red....

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

apatheticman posted:

This thread doesn't want centrists.

Leon Trotsky or bust.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/JPTasker/status/1100235512999100416

20 point lead...

:rip: NDP in Quebec

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
oooh burnaby's gonna be a nailbiter, goddamn conservatives are splitting away ppc votes

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

maybe they don't want to be represented by a religious fanatic :iiam:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

maybe they don't want to be represented by a homophobic religious fanatic