Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

hahaha wtf

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

musk wanted the lunar lander game as an easter egg on the touchscreen but he typoed and missed a 1 when telling the engineers to include an apollo 11 simulator

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

:tesla:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think my favourite are the replies "buh buh buh the handles are supposed to expose themselves if the airbags trigger"

like, that's going to work reliably after a collision, and also, like it matters at all because they're still not mechanical linkages to the door mechanism

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shame Boy posted:

there's some times of day during certain times of year where they're just all out basking in the sun along the side of the road and you'll see like 50 of them, and the rest of the time you basically never see them unless you look closely in water for their eyes poking up above the waterline because they're all lurkin'

the coolest part is when they're out basking with their mouths open, I grew up on a street that had a pond at the end and I'd always ride my bike past them real fast.

Alligators were less of a nuisance than muscovy ducks and woodpeckers, the reptiles sort of had an understanding with the neighborhood - stay out of the pond, we'll stay out of your yards. Those ducks with their acid poo poo that would strip the sealing/paint off your driveway, or the woodpeckers that would start trying to drill through an aluminum downspout outside your window at the loving crack of dawn? Nope.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ol qwerty bastard posted:

musk wanted the lunar lander game as an easter egg on the touchscreen but he typoed and missed a 1 when telling the engineers to include an apollo 11 simulator

oof

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Emergency procedures called for the senior pilot, occupy­ing the center couch, to unlatch and remove the hatch while retaining his harness buckled. A number of witnesses who observed the television picture of the command mod­ule hatch window discerned motion that suggested that the senior pilot was reaching for the inner hatch handle. The senior pilot's harness buckle was found unopened after the fire, indicating that he initiated the standard hatch-opening procedure. Data from the Guidance and Navigation System indicated considerable activity within the command mod­ule after the fire was discovered. This activity was consis­tent with movement of the crew prompted by proximity of the fire or with the undertaking of standard emergency egress procedures.

Personnel located on adjustable level 8 adjacent to the command module responded to the report of the fire. The pad leader ordered crew egress procedures to be started and technicians started toward the White Room which sur­rounded the hatch and into which the crew would step upon egress. Then, at 23:31:19 GMT, the command mod­ule ruptured.

All transmission of voice and data from the spacecraft ter­minated by 23:31:22.4 GMT, three seconds after rupture. Witnesses monitoring the television showing the hatch window report that flames spread from the left to the right side of the command module and shordy thereafter cov­ered the entire visible area.

Flames and gases flowed rapidly out of the ruptured area, spreading flames into the space between the command module pressure vessel and heat shield through access hatches and into levels A-8 and A-7 of the service struc­ture. These flames ignited combustibles, endangered pad personnel, and impeded rescue efforts. The burst of fire, together with the sounds of rupture, caused several pad personnel to believe that the command module had exploded or was about to explode.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I mean the report of the accident in here is really chilling. otherwise cool book about the orbital mechanics of all the missions

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029.pdf

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

like they saw the fire and 3 seconds later their radios cut. all we know for sure after that is the capsule was shaking around a bit as they ostensibly tried to put out the flames

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

El_Elegante posted:

is puckup a portmanteau of pickup and fuckup

i like fickup more

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this is still up my rear end so I want to spell it out:

let's say someone is in a crashed tesla model 3 and the doors will not open from inside. as an emergency responder, you have buzz saws, jaws of life etc. but there is a 500v battery inside the car and you don't want your tools electrocuting you

to disconnect the main battery in an emergency, there is a small access port on the front bumper. you must pop this off with a screwdriver and fish out two leads, then connect a 12v battery to them. This will power and open the frunk, but you're not done. now you need to know to prize up a trim panel inside to expose the emergency battery cutoff. once you've done this you can cut the power and begin destructive rescue of the passengers.

if the main battery catches fire, you have to call off your rescue.

if the front end is damaged or otherwise won't open, there is another spot in the back passenger side where you can cut with a buzzsaw and maybe disconnect the battery if your aim was lucky. There is a legend that shows you where it is, but it is only visible if the rear hatch is open. otherwise you have to know exactly where it is, and since you can't ~see~ the cable you might miss it or it could short out and weld back together while you are trying to open the vehicle.

we are going to see more people die in tesla fires.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What about the windows though!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yowza

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gschmidl posted:

What about the windows though!

do you think can you extract the average american from a burning car through the window?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do you think can you extract the average american from a burning car through the window?

you can if you wait long enough

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i think my favourite are the replies "buh buh buh the handles are supposed to expose themselves if the airbags trigger"

like, that's going to work reliably after a collision, and also, like it matters at all because they're still not mechanical linkages to the door mechanism

“that’s not how it’s supposed to work it’s just a one off bug you can’t blame Tesla!” — person treating death from poor design like a bad demo at work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*car demonstrably becomes a mobile incinerator in a collision*~

that's, uh, not how that's supposed to work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

“that’s not how it’s supposed to work it’s just a one off bug you can’t blame Tesla!” — person treating death from poor design like a bad demo at work

look we just need a few more sprints and we'll have this fixed, just put a story in jira about it and we'll get back to you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Driver-rich combustion

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shame Boy posted:

look we just need a few more sprints and we'll have this fixed, just put a story in jira about it and we'll get back to you

*looks at burndown chart* :thunk:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Platystemon posted:

Driver-rich combustion

lol

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
interior combustion engine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I almost made this joke but realized it was fat shaming

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

let's say someone is in a crashed tesla model 3 and the doors will not open from inside. as an emergency responder, you have buzz saws, jaws of life etc. but there is a 500v battery inside the car and you don't want your tools electrocuting you

to disconnect the main battery in an emergency, there is a small access port on the front bumper. you must pop this off with a screwdriver and fish out two leads, then connect a 12v battery to them. This will power and open the frunk, but you're not done. now you need to know to prize up a trim panel inside to expose the emergency battery cutoff. once you've done this you can cut the power and begin destructive rescue of the passengers.

if the front end is damaged or otherwise won't open, there is another spot in the back passenger side where you can cut with a buzzsaw and maybe disconnect the battery if your aim was lucky. There is a legend that shows you where it is, but it is only visible if the rear hatch is open. otherwise you have to know exactly where it is, and since you can't ~see~ the cable you might miss it or it could short out and weld back together while you are trying to open the vehicle.

you missed the best part. after activating either disconnect you have to wait two minutes for the system to discharge any stored HV power. also when the vehicle is on fire you are to assume that everything is energized no matter what.

that said the car is supposed to automatically trigger a HV disconnect when any airbag is triggered. of course...

so I don't know if I would trust that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gschmidl posted:

*looks at burndown chart* :thunk:

don’t spoil the next season of Silicon Valley

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

you missed the best part. after activating either disconnect you have to wait two minutes for the system to discharge any stored HV power. also when the vehicle is on fire you are to assume that everything is energized no matter what.

that said the car is supposed to automatically trigger a HV disconnect when any airbag is triggered. of course...

so I don't know if I would trust that.

Jesus

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it helps if he's involved, yes.

other companies do use a similar setup as the Tesla thing with a disconnect in the front and a cut point on the body. it is just that BMW, Ford, Toyota, or Audi is not going to gently caress up "airbag deployment fires the pyrotechnic battery disconnect"

there are little details that are better about those systems too. you need a beefy wire cutter to disable the Tesla even using the front disconnect because the disconnect is a loop of large wire that you have to cut. the BMW setup is a switch held closed by a post that can simply be yanked free to disconnect the battery. BMW even includes a hole in the switch that allows for lock-out-tag-out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can if you wait long enough

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

literal deathtraps should be banned from the road by nhtsa

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

BMW even includes a hole in the switch that allows for lock-out-tag-out.

BMWs EV tech owns, it's a shame their only offering for now is the dorky looking i3. i'll probably trade my model 3 in when BMW makes a regular 3 series but EV

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

The hilarious part is in auto racing, there is a simple solution to this: Most racing cars have a single pin disconnect that you just pull the pin and the battery is disconnected from the car. There is no reason for an emergency procedure to be as complicated as Tesla has made it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it must not have any sharp angles or external bumps though!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain Foo posted:

literal deathtraps should be banned from the road by nhtsa

Agreed, ban all cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CommieGIR posted:

The hilarious part is in auto racing, there is a simple solution to this: Most racing cars have a single pin disconnect that you just pull the pin and the battery is disconnected from the car. There is no reason for an emergency procedure to be as complicated as Tesla has made it.

Eeeeehhhhhh this doesn't work in the real world for the simple reason that someone could walk up to your car, pull out the pin, and now you're hosed unless you have a spare or find the person who did it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

put it under the hood, but not behind 3 layers of bulkhead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

BMWs EV tech owns, it's a shame their only offering for now is the dorky looking i3. i'll probably trade my model 3 in when BMW makes a regular 3 series but EV

um, the i8 is also a thing, i see one parked across the street every once in a while, so they definitely exist

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

iospace posted:

Agreed, ban all cars.

I had a waking dream where private cars were abolished and all parking lots were turned into parks or other useful space. if only it were real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Eeeeehhhhhh this doesn't work in the real world for the simple reason that someone could walk up to your car, pull out the pin, and now you're hosed unless you have a spare or find the person who did it.

Nobody is saying don't protect it, but by the same logic, someone can pop your hood anytime and cut your battery cables.

Silver Alicorn posted:

put it under the hood, but not behind 3 layers of bulkhead

This. You can protect it with a simple cover, if someone is already going to that level to sabotage your car, then they aren't stopping there.