Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
That tends to happen somewhat often these days, as they share a dynasty and Castile disinherits the heir day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

500 hours in playing, I just saw what I am pretty sure was my first peaceful personal union (acquired by a player). The weird thing though, it was my friend playing Aragon getting a natural PU on Castile but not triggering the Iberian Wedding :confuoot:

Insist that by Paradox Law you are now entitled to boss him/her around.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Note to self: When moving capital, immediately double-check the trade situation. That was an.... expensive mistake.

(Was Aragon, had the whole coast into northern Italy, was raking in the cash in the Genoa node. Took the "form Spain diplomatically" decision. Fine. A little bit later, moved capital to Madrid. MANY YEARS LATER finally noticed that I was hemorrhaging money and no longer had a pile of cash but instead a bunch of loans. Yeah, zero trade income for all that time because Madrid is in the Sevilla node, where I had stationed a merchant who'd spent all that time forwarding trade to Genoa. gently caress me.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Time for me to make yet another post swearing to remember that Holy Roman Emperors are co-belligerents when declaring war on a HRE member, and the emperors get to call in their allies. One of these days I'll stop declaring war without considering that.

Also, c'mon Austria, do you really need Hungary, a swole Brandenburg, England, and like four other HRE minor princes as allies? Isn't that a bit much? Sigh.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

When a friend plays Eu4 I can see like "King of France fighting a war against whover in 1630". But for myself I only see "playing eu4". Any way I can make it so I can see my own like detailed status?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

Does playing with dynamic random nations disable nation formation decisions?

Yeah, I think so. You can't form Germany when that tag is a three province minor in China.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Has anyone else been running into an issue where your privateers will constantly forget their mission and stop privateering? Not the bug where they stop moving but keep the mission, but where they completely drop the mission without warning for no conceivable reason.

edit: Wait, is privateering supposed to be limited by trade range? This seems to happen when I try to privateer a node outside my trade range. So I guess the bug is that you're allowed to select the privateer mission and your ships will actually do it for a bit when you shouldn't be able to.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 22, 2019

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Help.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Seems like you need to play more.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So what should I do for Mali for the achievement?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Abu Bakr? The same as you do for any native. Consume your neighbours, take Exploration as one of your first ideas, develop for institutions to stay relevant against the European colonialists and keep throwing colonies at places (in your case, South America) until you have 5 provinces in each region.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sage Grimm posted:

Abu Bakr? The same as you do for any native. Consume your neighbours, take Exploration as one of your first ideas, develop for institutions to stay relevant against the European colonialists and keep throwing colonies at places (in your case, South America) until you have 5 provinces in each region.
And keep your colonies away from Euro colonies as best you can, or they may get attacked.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I hope during these months of bugfixing they address some of the egregious AI issues that have slipped into the game. Like the AI getting stuck in a loop marching armies back and forth, the AI just shutting down and not moving units, subject AI not building troops despite having the forcelimit, money, and manpower to do so (why is it that, with both portugal and castile in a PU, castile pulls in 2x as much revenue but keeps an army half the size?), and this is unrelated to AI (kinda) but also how terrible pathfinding has gotten, with the game regularly plotting out curvy paths that take much longer to traverse than more direct paths.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That reminds me, the other day I noticed a fun bug where, if I hover over the "pay off debts" button for vassal interaction while the game is unpaused, the vassal in question will start taking loans and paying them off immediately in quick succession, causing their inflation to skyrocket. When I have some time I'm going to try to reproduce it and report it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

terrible pathfinding has gotten, with the game regularly plotting out curvy paths that take much longer to traverse than more direct paths.

Pathfinding does not like to go through uncivilized territory if there's another way that lets your armies walk through owned provinces. This is particularly annoying when trying to chase down armies in Africa and the Americas because you have to babysit them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think military access might also confuse it. I've seen the pathfinding dodge around territory you have access through when going through that territory would be faster. (but I've also seen it use it correctly, so who knows)

edit: I've also seen it do stuff like, when wanting to go two provinces to the right, go up-right, down, then right (visualize this on a hex grid). So instead of moving directly to an adjacent province, it'll move to a shared neighbor first. This is with all the territory being contiguous owned and controlled territory. I think there were some very rare edge cases a while ago where this would've been the faster route, but that's not the case anymore. And I've seen this in places like Morocco where that was never the case.

I don't know how often long distance routes are incorrectly plotted by the pathfinding AI, but it's not uncommon anymore. It's gotten pretty frustrating.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 24, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Fister Roboto posted:

That reminds me, the other day I noticed a fun bug where, if I hover over the "pay off debts" button for vassal interaction while the game is unpaused, the vassal in question will start taking loans and paying them off immediately in quick succession, causing their inflation to skyrocket. When I have some time I'm going to try to reproduce it and report it.

that's an insanely sick way to build liberty desire reduction and do wild stuff with vassal switching hmmmmmm

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I hope during these months of bugfixing they address some of the egregious AI issues that have slipped into the game. Like the AI getting stuck in a loop marching armies back and forth, the AI just shutting down and not moving units, subject AI not building troops despite having the forcelimit, money, and manpower to do so (why is it that, with both portugal and castile in a PU, castile pulls in 2x as much revenue but keeps an army half the size?), and this is unrelated to AI (kinda) but also how terrible pathfinding has gotten, with the game regularly plotting out curvy paths that take much longer to traverse than more direct paths.

I had a hair-raising experience where I, as Tripoli, declared war on Portugal on the assumption that by Big Swole Ottoman buddies would handle the actual fighting. But the Turks spent the first couple years of the war not moving their soldiers at all, despite having military access through the relevant countries in between. I think they were sailing their Indian Ocean transport fleet from Basra/Indonesia all the way around Africa so they could ferry troops instead of marching them. Of course, it got murdered by the Portuguese navy. Eventually, it seemed like a switch got flipped and the AI decided no, actually, I will just march 100k troops across Egypt and win the war.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Smiling Knight posted:

I had a hair-raising experience where I, as Tripoli, declared war on Portugal on the assumption that by Big Swole Ottoman buddies would handle the actual fighting. But the Turks spent the first couple years of the war not moving their soldiers at all, despite having military access through the relevant countries in between. I think they were sailing their Indian Ocean transport fleet from Basra/Indonesia all the way around Africa so they could ferry troops instead of marching them. Of course, it got murdered by the Portuguese navy. Eventually, it seemed like a switch got flipped and the AI decided no, actually, I will just march 100k troops across Egypt and win the war.

Saving, quitting, and reloading the game can help the AI do some priority recalculation too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I started this mini rant when I saw that my mamluk ally, instead of helping me in my war against the ottomans, were endlessly marching their troops back and forth between two provinces in north africa. Reloading the game fixed that.

Reloading the game doesn't typically fix dysfunctional subject behavior, though. I think the subject attitude system might be kind of broken currently. In the GC patch I had to set them to aggressive in order to get them to do anything. In my current game on the latest patch, when set to supportive they'll generally avoid attaching to my armies and will just sort of mill around allied territory or sometimes take independent action. Every once in a while they'll attach to me. Over the course of the last year, the AI has frequently exhibited dysfunctional behavior when switching attitudes. Many times they'd keep their armies frozen in place in their own territory with supportive turned on (and they weren't disloyal). Reloading wouldn't fix that.

Basically, subject AI is really frustrating right now. They have no consistent behavior with how many troops they will build (often running huge surpluses at max manpower and lots of spare force limits) and will generally be as useless with them as possible. There was a time where I felt like I could use subject armies effectively, but these days I just consider them cannon fodder. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll drain a few thousand manpower from the enemy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 24, 2019

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I've (thousands of hours ago) stopped trying to understand naval battles in EU4, but this is just.. :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What map mod is that? It looks really good.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Flat Transparent Political Map. Makes me remember with fondness(???) the days of EU3: NA.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Beamed posted:

I've (thousands of hours ago) stopped trying to understand naval battles in EU4, but this is just.. :allears:

:monocle:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Beamed posted:

If what was mentioned previously is correct, naval combat width in EUIV is individual to each side and is affected by admiral maneuver skill, and since the British admiral had 4 more pips in maneuver than yours they basically outnumbered your fleet in every engagement. They got a 50% bonus to engagement width vs your 20% bonus.

Still pretty amazing though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The main culprit is naval morale, when a ship hits 0% morale it stops firing but will stay and take up a slot in the engagement. So Britain will make the enemy hit that way faster, and for each sunk ship the rest of the navy loses tons of morale. So they are sitting there shooting at ships that won't fire back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groogy posted:

The main culprit is naval morale, when a ship hits 0% morale it stops firing but will stay and take up a slot in the engagement. So Britain will make the enemy hit that way faster, and for each sunk ship the rest of the navy loses tons of morale. So they are sitting there shooting at ships that won't fire back.

Please tell me this isn't supposed to happen.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It's super old design, been like that since... Mare Nostrum?, it hopefully won't be WAD for long though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thank you, but also :cripes:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

My decision to never meaningfully engage in any sort of naval combat is being vindicated

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Humble brag incoming but, seemingly I'm the only one that seem to know this because everyone, including youtubers who dedicate hours to break everything in the game is surprised about it when I mentioned how I pulled of the Swiss Australia Pirates against Malaysia at the Grandest Lan. People knew there were something fishy and that best is to cycle 15 Heavies into a battle over and over again but nobody really knew why it was happening until I did a deep dive as a naval nation to figure it out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love this stupid game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Decided to play as Ayutthaya. Never played in SE Asia or Buddhist country. And this starting position is very nice, two good vassals and some mighty ideas. Starting tradition is +20% religious unity which makes me think long and hard about ideas. Should I double down on religious unity and get humanist? Or ignore it and take those ideas later? Ambition is +25% income from vassals so it seems that 2nd or 3rd idea set should be Influence and vassal swarm should be the name of the game.

Anyway, I've botched my first game being too greedy. Around 1480, last 10 years I was rolling over smaller countries around with 0 manpower and now there are 2 separate wars (one was declared on me) that will probably break the country completely. Even if I loan a lot and get mercenaries I will not get much out of this war and will probably go bankrupt. I was probably too quick to swallow my vassals and seizing their land too aggressively so that they're disloyal and don't do a thing. National ideas also have -15% maintenance of mercenaries so I'm also thinking that administrative might be a good first idea to deal with manpower shortages.

This game I've also discovered the joy of non-conquest wars, humiliating and grabbing money seems the way to go.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 25, 2019

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Well, this new Muscovy run should be fun... decided to try sabotaging the Ottomans a little, so started out by guaranteeing Byzantium, allied and married them shortly thereafter... Ottos never dared to attack, so I was left alone to do the usual Muscovy thing beating up on weaker neighbours... then in 1460 the Basileus up and died and I just directly inherited the drat thing. Hee hee hee.

Ottos aren't making much in the way of gains otherwise, they got a bloody nose from wars with Venice and the Mamluks already and the Crimea decided they didn't want any help from them either. So guess I'll be pushing south to the Black Sea and get some dudes together and kick some rear end.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm having a pretty fun time at the moment attempting to survive in a world that wants the Teutonic Knights dead. My only pals are Saxony, Bohemia and Muscovy. Denmark hates me, Hungary hates me, Poland (of course) hates me.

Luckily, I've somehow managed to survive via alliances and keeping an eye on who wants what. I took most of the lands of Livonian Order, then finally managed to reconnect Neumark via a war against Poland with my best pals Bohemia helping me. All they asked for in return was Krakow...

I imagine Poland is considerably weakened now and might be easier to take more land from at a later date. I just wish Muscovy would hurry up and do something, but I guess they won't until I dissolve the PU between Lithuania and Poland.

Meanwhile Saxony has managed to drag me into two bloody wars in short succession - one returning Pomerania to the map (gee, thanks Saxony) and the other turning into a complete mess that's likely going to lose Saxony land.

Overall it's been a pretty exciting ride so far.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I havent seen anyone post / post about any recent EU4 dev diaries - has nothing been going on or am I just a bum that is too lazy to look it up?

ilitarist posted:

Decided to play as Ayutthaya. Never played in SE Asia or Buddhist country. And this starting position is very nice, two good vassals and some mighty ideas. Starting tradition is +20% religious unity which makes me think long and hard about ideas. Should I double down on religious unity and get humanist? Or ignore it and take those ideas later? Ambition is +25% income from vassals so it seems that 2nd or 3rd idea set should be Influence and vassal swarm should be the name of the game.

Anyway, I've botched my first game being too greedy. Around 1480, last 10 years I was rolling over smaller countries around with 0 manpower and now there are 2 separate wars (one was declared on me) that will probably break the country completely. Even if I loan a lot and get mercenaries I will not get much out of this war and will probably go bankrupt. I was probably too quick to swallow my vassals and seizing their land too aggressively so that they're disloyal and don't do a thing. National ideas also have -15% maintenance of mercenaries so I'm also thinking that administrative might be a good first idea to deal with manpower shortages.

This game I've also discovered the joy of non-conquest wars, humiliating and grabbing money seems the way to go.
Fighting in SE Asia is bloody due to attrition in all those jungle provinces so investing in Mercs may be worthwhile. Humanist may be a good investment because of the cornucopia of religions in SE Asia but its been a while since I've played/played down there so I'm not sure if that is great advice.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent seen anyone post / post about any recent EU4 dev diaries - has nothing been going on or am I just a bum that is too lazy to look it up?

It's mostly been filler stuff since the next expansion only started development recently, but you should make sure to check out the one from a couple of weeks ago, really cool stuff: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-12th-of-february-2019.1151642/

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It was a learning experience for sure

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

It's mostly been filler stuff since the next expansion only started development recently, but you should make sure to check out the one from a couple of weeks ago, really cool stuff: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-12th-of-february-2019.1151642/
:monocle: Europa Universalis the Board Game, based off of Europa Universalis the videogame, which is based off of Europa Universalis the boardgame. That is a day 1 buy for me. Unless it, too, will have DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I've actually looked at (not played, but leafed through) the original board game, way back before the first computer game was a thing. It had a reputation among my university's grognard gaming community.