Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

Honestly, the level of discourse after an actual fan of the show decided to show up and voice their opinions has convinced me that everyone is mad at this show because of some twitter hot take made with zero information backing it up. Like I'm not even sure what's wrong with the show anymore.

Naofumi starts with little social standing and loses what little remaining they had due to a false accusation. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a false accusation as a plot device; one of the greatest American novels, To Kill a Mockingbird, also used a false accusation as a plot device and no one complains about that. Since Naofumi cannot find any willing companions, he is forced by circumstance into the purchase of demihuman slaves who can help fight with him. This not only shows how low Naofumi has sunk, but also serves to highlight how hypocritical the kingdom is for allowing demihumans to be kept as slaves while claiming to be a just and noble society.

Here there is another example of how well written the light novel is, since during this purchase the author reveals the misogynist mindset the protagonist is currently in. I think it would be sloppy writing on an author's part to not explore the negative feelings towards the opposite sex that someone would feel if they were falsely accused and had their life ruined. Obviously these feelings are misplaced, since the act was that of a single woman (who turns out later to not even be human), but noone would be fully rational after such an event. Really, I think the author being a woman made her feel like she could write Naofumi's true feelings down without fear of being labeled a misogynist herself. Instead, people choose to misgender her since obviously a woman would never write such a thing and it must be a man instead. This goes to show how the haters of the show are really the ones harboring some of these ill feelings towards women and projecting them as hard as they can.

Another criticism I saw was that Raphtalia was a child, but I think this is actually a great bit of storytelling on the author's part that people were too worked up to recognize. The only source for the age of Raphtalia is Raphtalia herself, and remember that she is a Tanuki, known for being very tricky. Since demihumans physically age based on their level, and not by time passing, she could be any age and is likely very old and wise. It becomes obvious from Naofumi's future actions that she lied about her age in an effort to calm down his anger towards her (stemming from his misogyny) by pretending to be younger than she is and thus play to his soft side, and it clearly worked. She is obviously wise beyond her claimed number of years, because she is older than she says.

The other criticism is that Raphtalia requests that the slave collar be placed back on her after Naofumi removes it. Again, her smarts are playing a key role in the story here because she recognizes that while she may be free, since demihumans are kept as slaves in many areas there is a high chance that someone may abduct her thinking she is a runaway slave. By placing the slave collar back on, any potential slave traders would be wary of stealing her since her 'owner' (in this case her close friend Naofumi) would certainly attempt to rescue her, which is not worth the trouble. Instead of recognizing the wiseness of her decision, people would rather deny her agency and state that the author is claiming that women should be subservient to men, which I think couldn't be farther from the truth.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be anything in the show which really warrants the level of vitriol that this thread has leveled against it. I think everyone would do well to take a step back and really evaluate it from first principles, instead of taking other people's words for how you should feel about it.

die by my blade, fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh, wonder if this has calmed down into a actual discussion thread now that we’re a ways out from the inciting incident...

Venuz Patrol posted:

die by my blade, fool

I guess not... :shrug:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I agree. We should have a calm and rational discussion about how the show about buying child slaves being a totally good and just response to things not going your way might be good, if you just stop being so narrow minded.

I'll start

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Huh, wonder if this has calmed down into a actual discussion thread now that we’re a ways out from the inciting incident...

Tell us what you think about the show.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Julias posted:

Ah that makes sense. The author's gender identity being unknown is still the case, though.

It's not unknown. It's genderless. If you mean their biological sex, you're correct. But that's not relevant.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Onmi posted:

It's not unknown. It's genderless. If you mean their biological sex, you're correct. But that's not relevant.

The source that people were claiming said the author was genderless turned out to be talking about one of the author's characters, not the author; the person who originally translated it misunderstood the context. As far as I'm aware, there's still no public information available about the author's gender or lack thereof.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 24, 2019

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Lmao that 46 pages in people still think that this is supposed to be a proper discussion instead of a quarantine for bad posts

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean what else is there to say to that post. Do you really need someone to break it down to see how bad all the points in it were? A discussion requires both sides to give thought to their arguments and there was none in that post.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I think it's funny how bad it is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Be the change you want to see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I feel like slavery is bad, even if you treat a slave better than someone else does.
tell that to jk rowling

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dire Lemming posted:

I mean what else is there to say to that post. Do you really need someone to break it down to see how bad all the points in it were? A discussion requires both sides to give thought to their arguments and there was none in that post.

there's thought, it's just all coming from bad faith. fitting for this thread, i suppose

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

The source that people were claiming said the author was genderless turned out to be talking about one of the author's characters, not the author; the person who originally translated it misunderstood the context. As far as I'm aware, there's still no public information available about the author's gender or lack thereof.
Yeah, this is correct. Not that the author's gender identity really matters for the purposes of discussing their work.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On the other hand, and this may be presumptuous, a story about a man falsely accused of rape only learning to trust women again after putting himself in a position of absolute power and authority over children, strikes me as very male.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulderman posted:

The slave seal bullshit makes no sense and the excuse that Slave girl willingly gets it back in order to protect her from other slavers is idiotic. Because there is NOTHING preventing people from kidnapping her and removing the slave seal like they did before. Why would having it prevent her from being kidnapped again? People hate the Shield hero, so slave seal or not, if they wanted to mess with him they would do so regardless.
I dropped off the show but I also don't remember many mentions of slaves until we get to the noble who has that one beast kin locked in his cellar dungeon . I don't even remember the slave brand being a big deal because most people who meet Raph don't care she's a slave, they care she's an ally to Naofumi. Same with the big chicken.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drat the child slave show acts like keeping children as slaves is normal and fine and not a big deal?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I dropped off the show but I also don't remember many mentions of slaves until we get to the noble who has that one beast kin locked in his cellar dungeon . I don't even remember the slave brand being a big deal because most people who meet Raph don't care she's a slave, they care she's an ally to Naofumi. Same with the big chicken.

Don’t you think that the world of shield hero and the protagonist not caring about the girl being a slave and actively endorsing it as good may be indicative of the authors views

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Captain Cappy posted:

Honestly, the level of discourse after an actual fan of the show decided to show up and voice their opinions has convinced me that everyone is mad at this show because of some twitter hot take made with zero information backing it up. Like I'm not even sure what's wrong with the show anymore.

Naofumi starts with little social standing and loses what little remaining they had due to a false accusation. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a false accusation as a plot device; one of the greatest American novels, To Kill a Mockingbird, also used a false accusation as a plot device and no one complains about that. Since Naofumi cannot find any willing companions, he is forced by circumstance into the purchase of demihuman slaves who can help fight with him. This not only shows how low Naofumi has sunk, but also serves to highlight how hypocritical the kingdom is for allowing demihumans to be kept as slaves while claiming to be a just and noble society.

Here there is another example of how well written the light novel is, since during this purchase the author reveals the misogynist mindset the protagonist is currently in. I think it would be sloppy writing on an author's part to not explore the negative feelings towards the opposite sex that someone would feel if they were falsely accused and had their life ruined. Obviously these feelings are misplaced, since the act was that of a single woman (who turns out later to not even be human), but noone would be fully rational after such an event. Really, I think the author being a woman made her feel like she could write Naofumi's true feelings down without fear of being labeled a misogynist herself. Instead, people choose to misgender her since obviously a woman would never write such a thing and it must be a man instead. This goes to show how the haters of the show are really the ones harboring some of these ill feelings towards women and projecting them as hard as they can.

Another criticism I saw was that Raphtalia was a child, but I think this is actually a great bit of storytelling on the author's part that people were too worked up to recognize. The only source for the age of Raphtalia is Raphtalia herself, and remember that she is a Tanuki, known for being very tricky. Since demihumans physically age based on their level, and not by time passing, she could be any age and is likely very old and wise. It becomes obvious from Naofumi's future actions that she lied about her age in an effort to calm down his anger towards her (stemming from his misogyny) by pretending to be younger than she is and thus play to his soft side, and it clearly worked. She is obviously wise beyond her claimed number of years, because she is older than she says.

The other criticism is that Raphtalia requests that the slave collar be placed back on her after Naofumi removes it. Again, her smarts are playing a key role in the story here because she recognizes that while she may be free, since demihumans are kept as slaves in many areas there is a high chance that someone may abduct her thinking she is a runaway slave. By placing the slave collar back on, any potential slave traders would be wary of stealing her since her 'owner' (in this case her close friend Naofumi) would certainly attempt to rescue her, which is not worth the trouble. Instead of recognizing the wiseness of her decision, people would rather deny her agency and state that the author is claiming that women should be subservient to men, which I think couldn't be farther from the truth.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be anything in the show which really warrants the level of vitriol that this thread has leveled against it. I think everyone would do well to take a step back and really evaluate it from first principles, instead of taking other people's words for how you should feel about it.

This is a good post

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Captain Cappy posted:

For me to poop on!!!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Don’t you think that the world of shield hero and the protagonist not caring about the girl being a slave and actively endorsing it as good may be indicative of the authors views
I just want to nitpick a stories setting and world building without trying to figure out how recent the writers breakup occurred or whether or not his country has more accepting views on slavery.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

who's saying japan has more accepting views on slavery

i believe the author does, idk about japan

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You would be surprised by the number of light novels and manga that feature slavery as a prominent recruiting place for the main character. Alongside this most of the isekai stories I've noticed go with beast-kin slaves like Raphtilia. To the point where it's a cliche at this point.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are you trying to argue that japan does, in fact, have more accepting views on slavery? idgi

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

a cartoon duck posted:

On the other hand, and this may be presumptuous, a story about a man falsely accused of rape only learning to trust women again after putting himself in a position of absolute power and authority over children, strikes me as very male.

How else are they expected to feel like men again than by cowing women into obedience via slavery?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

You would be surprised by the number of light novels and manga that feature slavery as a prominent recruiting place for the main character. Alongside this most of the isekai stories I've noticed go with beast-kin slaves like Raphtilia. To the point where it's a cliche at this point.

I don't think that's a sign of Japan as a whole, but more of the catered LN market sustained by chuds. The beast kin thing I've noticed as well. Not sure why beast kin either, but my best guess would be furries or something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

are you trying to argue that japan does, in fact, have more accepting views on slavery? idgi
No, I'm not up for trying to figure out if what people put into their stories indicates any personal views. And by extension, if an observable trend indicates any larger cultural views. I just care about verisimillitude and internal consistency in writing. I don't even remember the names of most writers whose stories I read.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Everything you put into a story indicates your personal views. Especially if you aren't thinking about it when you do so. Because the stuff you don't think about reveals what you consider "not worth thinking about." IE: What you don't question says a huge amount about what you believe about the world.

Even the idea that writing can be "apolitical" merely supports an unquestioned status quo.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 25, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, I'm not up for trying to figure out if what people put into their stories indicates any personal views. And by extension, if an observable trend indicates any larger cultural views. I just care about verisimillitude and internal consistency in writing. I don't even remember the names of most writers whose stories I read.
the author's politcs and what views the story supports are two different things

someone who fully identifies as a feminist can still write a sexist story, someone who identifies as a conservative can write a story that has liberal values, etc

i do not think the author of shield hero, regardless of their politics, worldview, gender identity, or sexuality, genuinely thinks slavery is a good thing. but they've written a story that rewards slavery. so its worth discussing how that impacts a reading of the story. this is not the same thing as arguing about the author's politics.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I don’t think the author just happened to accidentally write a story where a man revels in enslaving a woman and has a woman who accuses him of rape renamed to bitch. Stories aren’t birthed from the void fully formed and the way the narrative rationalizes what Shield Hero does as necessary or just what the people around him force him to do hints to more than a bias on the writer’s part.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheHan posted:

I don’t think the author just happened to accidentally write a story where a man revels in enslaving a woman and has a woman who accuses him of rape renamed to bitch. Stories aren’t birthed from the void fully formed and the way the narrative rationalizes what Shield Hero does as necessary or just what the people around him force him to do hints to more than a bias on the writer’s part.

Not just that but the punishments in general. The idea that there's a king resembling Jabba the Hutt whose sole existence in the narrative is to rape to death the evil woman and has done this NUMEROUS times enough that it's well known punishment for princesses who step out of line and yet it's treated as barely something to consider bad didn't just come from nowhere. Keep in mind as well that the author has gone on record saying that the more unpleasant characters in this series are based on people they know.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, this started out as a webnovel, a genre notorious for its tendency to be the author's unfiltered id in literary form. If a webnovel author starts going on and on about how men are hurt and victimised by women, especially women based on people they know, they're probably not speaking for a friend.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, this started out as a webnovel, a genre notorious for its tendency to be the author's unfiltered id in literary form. If a webnovel author starts going on and on about how men are hurt and victimised by women, especially women based on people they know, they're probably not speaking for a friend.

The woman in Shield Hero is not, to my knowledge based on anyone.

Endorph posted:

the author's politcs and what views the story supports are two different things

someone who fully identifies as a feminist can still write a sexist story, someone who identifies as a conservative can write a story that has liberal values, etc

i do not think the author of shield hero, regardless of their politics, worldview, gender identity, or sexuality, genuinely thinks slavery is a good thing. but they've written a story that rewards slavery. so its worth discussing how that impacts a reading of the story. this is not the same thing as arguing about the author's politics.

Basically, I'm with Endorph here.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

who's saying japan has more accepting views on slavery
Slavery seems pretty common in isekai series. I guess it plays into the whole power fantasy aspect of the genre.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Basically think of it this way, if the author somehow revealed tomorrow with irrefutable evidence that they were objectively an amazing person you wouldn't decide "Oh actually child slavery is good now because it's in this book written by a good person." What the author thinks doesn't matter unless you're talking specifically about the author and this is the Shield Hero thread, not the speculate about an authors problematic views thread.

Galvanik posted:

Slavery seems pretty common in isekai series. I guess it plays into the whole power fantasy aspect of the genre.

Slavery isn't uncommon in fantasy stories, Shield Hero only stands out because very few series actually have the protagonists take part in it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
We know the author isn’t an amazing person because they wrote Shield Hero.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Oh no, you got me

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dire Lemming posted:

Slavery isn't uncommon in fantasy stories, Shield Hero only stands out because very few series actually have the protagonists take part in it.

That's not entirely accurate. It's quite a number of series I'm reading where the protagonist partakes in slavery, has it portrayed as a good thing and often it is slavery of children or women.

Not all of them have gone as far as being animated yet, but I will say Shield Hero is still kind of unique in how it portrays it. I have no idea why it is so ubiquitous, but it is to the point where I kinda of don't consider it a problem in Shield Hero. Or rather, it doesn't ring the alarm bells it ought to, I suppose.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Galvanik posted:

slavery is almost the bottom of the barrel of quality of life for a person, so it's a super brainless way to give a protagonist good guy points for opposing it, and a really easy way to recruit companions for an adventure since it's easy to write someone who'd rather go on an adventure than be a slave, with the added aspect of them probably feeling indebted to the protagonist for saving them

but of course shield hero's just like "slavery, yeah I'm into that"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

People can try and fool themselves into justifying Raphtalia's deal all they want but Nao putting the slave crest on Filo says everything this series wants to say on the issue. Even if they adore the hero and are loyal to them, they still gotta be kept in line and they don't get a say in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
And if that is not enough, there's this little gemstone from the slave traders wiki page:

Relationship
Naofumi: They have a more business like relation and was thrilled to work with Naofumi. He was willing to aid Naofumi for his own reasons. Upon Naofumi’s request, he searches for and collects slaves who were former villagers of Raphtalia’s village. He admires Naofumi's business mind