Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Making a new reply because I feel like this thing I found while searching for more information on Gen Con East needs to be highlighted: here is the passive-aggressive blog of someone who is mad that Gen-Con "left the Midwest" :stare:

I like how that was put together as a professional proposal as if Gen Con didn't do all of it's own research on that topic, doesn't see a million posts a year on their forums and other social media about moving to other cities, and actually cares about a random person trying to court them to their hometown. I bet he didn't he even send that proposal to Adrienne (not that it would have mattered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Having spent most of my life in the Midwest, I'm going to make the following assertion: Indiana is, in fact, a part of the South.

Having been born and raised in Indiana I can confirm this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

Having been born and raised in Indiana I can confirm this.

Seconded, much as I hate it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Indiana's early settlers were mainly from the South for whatever reason. We have a lot of the baggage still left.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So like three years ago my (now dead) podcast did an episode about what cities could potentially host Gen Con* if they had to move. Mostly it was an excuse to make fun of cities in the midwest.

*That link should take you to the start of the city discussion. If not you can just skip to 23:20.**
**That is if you want to listen. Statistically you don't.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Having spent most of my life in the Midwest, I'm going to make the following assertion: Indiana is, in fact, a part of the South.
And Ohio is, in fact, part of hell.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ilor posted:

And Ohio is, in fact, part of hell.

Ohio is always the worst part of our drive out to Indianapolis (and before Gen Con, it was the worst part of my drive to college every semester). Coming from Virginia, you get dumped out of the winding and fun mountains of WV/PA onto... hundreds of miles of straight nothingness, with no interesting/good pit stops.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the midwest is part of the south only less friendly and more 'nice', imo.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Avenging Dentist posted:

There's a reason why we fly over you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I used to go to Columbus every year for a Warhammer Fantasy tournament. Five hour drive from southern Indiana, which wasn't the worst part. The worst part was getting to Cincinnati and realizing you have another hour and a half to two hours to go.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

According to, I believe, Mike Carr, Gen Con West, South, and East were all run by people licensing the names. They went horribly, though, and he told me it was going so bad that most of TSR loaded up in cars and drove to the 2nd (and final) Gen Con East to prevent it from being a complete dumpster fire.

More oral histories here:
http://best50yearsingaming.com/exhibits/show/interviews
Whoa, this is new to me too, did I like never actually read your amazing site or what

Welp, I know what I will be doing tonight while also cobbling together this post!

Ugh I love Tim Kask, I am sad that he is done auctioneering. I felt like he was/is the perfect blend of all the other curmudgeonly graybeards, all the experience and insider knowledge and "you kids today" but still actually seemed to be having a good time.

Also I learned through the interview with Richard Rowlands and subsequently investigating Gen Con U.K. that I was living only like three hours from Gen Con U.K. 2004 :mad:

And I am definitely going to bring up onstage that Margaret Weis' worst Gen-Con memory was apparently the year she worked as a runner for the Auction. I will punctuate this point by throwing one of our runners into the audience so that he can be torn to shreds.

nesbit37 posted:

I like how that was put together as a professional proposal as if Gen Con didn't do all of it's own research on that topic, doesn't see a million posts a year on their forums and other social media about moving to other cities, and actually cares about a random person trying to court them to their hometown. I bet he didn't he even send that proposal to Adrienne (not that it would have mattered).
Yeah that is a very impressive piece of writing all-around for that regard. It really sounds like he is convinced he is going to sway someone. Though at least he is positive about it ... mostly. And now I am mad at this dude anew because his whole point is that "Gen Con North" is a necessary geographic counterpart to the previous West, East, and South... so what is Indiana then if not the center? Ugh, ugh, hay guyz whats goin on in this thread

Avenging Dentist posted:

Nooooo why you and WerrWaaa and Admiral Joeslop gotta do this to me :cry: hey as far as I am concerned the South ends at the border of being able to say "heritage not hate" with only 99% dishonesty.

Agrias120 posted:

Ohio is always the worst part of our drive out to Indianapolis (and before Gen Con, it was the worst part of my drive to college every semester). Coming from Virginia, you get dumped out of the winding and fun mountains of WV/PA onto... hundreds of miles of straight nothingness, with no interesting/good pit stops.
I mean, I understand where you are coming from, since I always used to be annoyed by Ohio when driving to/from Illinois from/to New England or the Mid-Atlantic, but Ohio still has virtually endless options for places to stop and at least be able to eat or get gas compared to nearly every state between the West Coast and the Midwest, where there really are hundreds of miles of straight nothingness. I remember my car being at like 75 miles to empty in Montana, the year I drove to Gen-Con from Seattle, and me having to seriously wonder if I was going to make it.

(I did not make it, I died out there under that Big Sky, and some say you can still hear me posting boring things about it to this day)

8one6 posted:

So like three years ago my (now dead) podcast did an episode about what cities could potentially host Gen Con* if they had to move. Mostly it was an excuse to make fun of cities in the midwest.
Aw I guess that explains why I could not find the show of yours I was trying to listen to while writing this thread ;(

ahahahah Branson, omg moving Gen-Con there would be the most phenomenal decision ever. Nearly all of my childhood memories are of being stuck in single-lane traffic for hours trying to get to a mini-golf or go-kart place in Branson

Also anyone who missed the Gen Con History Tour/Gen Con 1 recreation at Gen-Con 50, here is a Canadian man who very slowly walked around filming some relevant parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ6062TpRrg

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nooooo why you and WerrWaaa and Admiral Joeslop gotta do this to me :cry: hey as far as I am concerned the South ends at the border of being able to say "heritage not hate" with only 99% dishonesty.

The South starts when you go to a motel and they have biscuits and gravy as just a normal item in a continental breakfast. While I don't have any strong opposition to putting gravy on random food items, biscuits and gravy is not typical midwestern food. I've seen this as far north as I-90 in Indiana, so as far as I'm concerned, the whole state is The South.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I mean, I understand where you are coming from, since I always used to be annoyed by Ohio when driving to/from Illinois from/to New England or the Mid-Atlantic, but Ohio still has virtually endless options for places to stop and at least be able to eat or get gas compared to nearly every state between the West Coast and the Midwest, where there really are hundreds of miles of straight nothingness.

Ohio is not the worst, but southern Ohio sure tries its best. To be the worst.

Wisconsin is the clear front-runner in overall midwest quality though. Not only is it the origin of Gen Con, but it has Wizard Quest. Wizard Quest!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Aw I guess that explains why I could not find the show of yours I was trying to listen to while writing this thread ;(

It was time to kill it. UnderDiscussion ran for 10 years and had less than 100 listeners, we were a joke to the other RPG podcasters who even knew who we were, and (the biggest reason) one of the hosts moved across the country and my work schedule became incompatible with recording with everyone else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nesbit37 posted:

According to, I believe, Mike Carr, Gen Con West, South, and East were all run by people licensing the names. They went horribly, though, and he told me it was going so bad that most of TSR loaded up in cars and drove to the 2nd (and final) Gen Con East to prevent it from being a complete dumpster fire.

Yeah, here it is:

More oral histories here:
http://best50yearsingaming.com/exhibits/show/interviews

Oh my god, why would anyone license their own name and trademark without vetting the hell out of the recipients?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cherry Hill, NJ and Chester, PA seem like some of the worst possible east coast places to hold a convention, so, :yeah:

Putting a con within accessible distance to the DC metro area though, would be rad as poo poo right about now, because the whole I-95 corridor is basically a gaming hotspot with unlimited $$$.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god, why would anyone license their own name and trademark without vetting the hell out of the recipients?

Welcome to the world of gaming, where even successful companies are run by people with little to no business acumen. A fine tradition largely carried on to this day.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

It was time to kill it. UnderDiscussion ran for 10 years and had less than 100 listeners, we were a joke to the other RPG podcasters who even knew who we were, and (the biggest reason) one of the hosts moved across the country and my work schedule became incompatible with recording with everyone else.
Fair enough. I think it is time that we launch a Something Awful Forums-specific Gen-Con-specific podcast. I envision an enormous market.

Pollyanna posted:

I know this is not entirely true since obviously the convention was already pretty fabulously successful by the mid-1970s, but surely on some level they had to be excited that anyone wanted to pay them to use their name and figured "what is the worst that can happen? They are still going to sell our products!"

(And, well, since there seems to be no record whatsoever of how those conventions went, they probably were overall neither good nor bad practically speaking?)

Avenging Dentist, I am now going to shudder in terror when I see biscuits and gravy on any continental breakfast. Though if we are being fair, some hotels (I spend a lot of time at Hilton properties, so Homewood Suites comes to mind) have biscuits and gravy in their breakfast rotation even in, like, Vermont. Though perhaps this just speaks to a broader colonization of the entire country by Them Good Ole' Boys.

Gotta go down some scotcheroos and Faygo to re-Midwesternize my mind after this page

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
A heaping helping of cheese curds should innoculate yourself from South-itis.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Gotta go down some scotcheroos and Faygo to re-Midwesternize my mind after this page

I was gonna say “sure only if you get it at piggly wiggly”, but when I googled to confirm that’s a midwestern brand, I found it’s actually a southern brand, just also wisconsin and illinois. Strange

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No Piggly Wiggly in Michigan. Nor Waffle House either. Thank the gods.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ilor posted:

Nor Waffle House either. Thank the gods.

*Growls in Atlanta*
Careful.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
No waffle house?! How are you gonna know if the weather is bad enough for waffle house to be closed?!!

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I realized when traveling south last year that I associate Piggly Wiggly with gencon after the auction for that apron.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Waffle House is great fight me

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Avenging Dentist posted:

A heaping helping of cheese curds should innoculate yourself from South-itis.
Good point, that is definitely not possible in the South. Even smoked string cheese seems to necessitate a certain northerly latitude to exist

Fellis posted:

I was gonna say “sure only if you get it at piggly wiggly”, but when I googled to confirm that’s a midwestern brand, I found it’s actually a southern brand, just also wisconsin and illinois. Strange
I knew that was a Southern brand but I grew up in Illinois and had grandparents in Missouri and Michigan with cousins in Wisconsin and Ohio so I saw it all, man. Except Indiana... Now that I think of it... HMMMMM MAYBE THERE IS SOMETHING TO THIS

Oh but

M a x posted:

I realized when traveling south last year that I associate Piggly Wiggly with gencon after the auction for that apron.
I am now even more ashamed in general. Not sure if you knew that was my apron to bring me further shame but yes, that was from Kansas City, which is certainly the closest Piggly Wiggly I have ever encountered. Thanks for wearing the apron, Caroline, now who will start the bidding at $1

WerrWaaa posted:

Waffle House is great fight me
100% agreed, I do not begrudge its Southernness at all

I do like Huddle House though

Gen-Con!!!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All the Waffle Houses were run out of town in my area decades ago and I don't know why. I'd love to sometimes get a big greasy breakfast for under $10 with all the garbage I want thrown in.

A Waffle House desert.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fellis posted:

No waffle house?! How are you gonna know if the weather is bad enough for waffle house to be closed?!!
It's Michigan; the weather is always bad. We don't need no stinkin' Waffle House to tell us that. :colbert:

EDIT: I went to Origins one year and stayed at some dive Red Roof Inn or some poo poo on the outskirts of Columbus. It shared a parking lot with a Waffle House, and since I didn't get back to my hotel until like 3 AM and it was still open, I thought "why not?" It is (to date) the only Waffle House I've been in that had its own armed guard. :stare:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Ilor posted:

Waffle House I've been in that had its own armed guard. :stare:

Checks out.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Toshimo posted:

Cherry Hill, NJ and Chester, PA seem like some of the worst possible east coast places to hold a convention, so, :yeah:

Putting a con within accessible distance to the DC metro area though, would be rad as poo poo right about now, because the whole I-95 corridor is basically a gaming hotspot with unlimited $$$.

Are you suggesting the DMV area specifically? Otherwise, isn't that PAX Unplugged?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't remember if it was in this thread or the groupme, but it was proposed to do another online group viewing of Gen Con related films. Last year we did one very last minute one of Hobocon, which was fun but sparsely attended mainly because it was put together at the last second.

I know Gen Con feels super far away but its going to be here soon. I've got Gary Con next week, Unpub 9 a little over a week after that, and then Origins will be here before you know it and welp, then the nerd train to Indy starts going.

Do we want to get something on the calendar, even if its a month or two off (you can tell I am turning 40 this year based on my desire to schedule things)?

I have numerous films that may fit the bill:

Hobocon - 3 morons decide to go spend the weekend at Gen Con with no money and no room and try to survive the con by begging for food and crash space from other attendees. (Gen Con 2008 if memory serves)

Uber Goober - a 2004 independent documentary film focusing on people who play role-playing games. The film was directed by Steve Metze and features interviews with Gary Gygax, Peter Adkison, Mike Stackpole and Bob Larson, amongst others. The film has screened at theatres, film festivals, and gaming conventions, winning the award for "Best Film" at Gen Con Indianapolis, 2004.

Gamers: The Hand of Fate - An actually good movie about tabletop gaming. Deals with themes of women in gaming, specifically CCGs. Humerous at times, and a little less than half of it takes place at Gen Con (2013 or 2014 if memory serves)

TSR: The Fantasy Factory - This one isn't really about Gen Con at all, is on youtube, and only 22 minutes long so I dunno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq8G-gjpWM8

City Confidential: Deadly Games in Little Washington - In 1988, a North Carolina State University student, Chris Pritchard, tried to live out his obsession with the fantasy game Dungeons and Dragons when he shot his mother and father-in-law, Bonnie and Lieth Von Stein.

Cruel Doubt - This is a dramatization of the Von Stein stuff mentioned above in City Confidential. A 1992 miniseries starring Blythe Danner and Matt McGrath, as well as Danner's daughter, Gwyneth Paltrow. The film was broadcast in two parts on NBC in the United States and on CTV in Canada on May 17 and May 19, 1992. Ed Asner, Adam Baldwin and Dennis Farina also star. The miniseries is based on the 1991 true crime book Cruel Doubt by Joe McGinniss, which documents the 1988 murder of Lieth Von Stein by his stepson, Chris Pritchard, and two friends, James Upchurch and Gerald Neal Henderson.

Skullduggery - Five anxious players gather for a medieval board game where merciless warlocks battle for ultimate occult power. But something is playing -- and it's no longer just a game. Some unspeakable evil is manipulating an unwitting player to play out a blood-letting orgy of unrelenting horror.

Note that most of the above are terrible, fair warning.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The one RPG group movie I've seen that wasn't total garbage was Of Dice and Men.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oh yeah, there are definitely some others. I forgot about Of Dice and Men. There is also "0 Charisma," which I think I don't like but I can't make up my mind about it. It's definitely painful to watch but I think that's what the creators were going for.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

gently caress you eastmbl
You made me watch Mazes and Monsters

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

I watched that one a few years ago. It's amazing how poorly it's made, even for a direct to tv movie.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
o/' There's blood on my knife... And it's on my hands! I think I kiIIiiiIIIIIIiiIiiIiilled somebodyyyy o/'

Thank you Nesbit37 for that list, I am basically stoked to watch all of them. I suspect my "most free on weekday nights" schedule is hardly agreeable to the average person who might join this project; maybe we should have like a monthly session with a movie or two on varying days of the week and eventually watch everything?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Thank you Nesbit37 for that list, I am basically stoked to watch all of them. I suspect my "most free on weekday nights" schedule is hardly agreeable to the average person who might join this project; maybe we should have like a monthly session with a movie or two on varying days of the week and eventually watch everything?

That's fine by me. FYI, I am virtually always busy Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Monday evenings are my most reliable free evenings, though Wednesday's may be a possibility since I usually play BloodBowl after work and that only goes to 8 at the absolute latest. Depends where everyone who wants to watch lives as well, I am GMT -5.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Ego Trip posted:

gently caress yes I did

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Eastmabl posted:

gently caress yes I did

Just be glad I never made you watch Starship Troopers 2.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Starship Troopers 3 is SO MUCH better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Ilor posted:

No Piggly Wiggly in Michigan. Nor Waffle House either. Thank the gods.

Aren't there some up north though?

I vaguely remember going to a Piggly Wiggly in Mio a decade ago or something.

In other news, I'm excited for my first gencon, I'm sure I won't end up being a mark who spends too much money on IWM minis or something like that.