Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone play sirilim? Looks more like an old school RPG more than what I think of as a roguelite but it's really cheap and I've got the itch to spend my two and a half bucks.

You'll probably get $2.5 of fun out of it if you like one of the, following: SMT, pokemon, old school rpgs, grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stark Fist posted:

Roguelike Radio just published a new episode about Haque, anyone play it?

I beat it when it came out and didn't feel the need to play it more :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stark Fist posted:

It's more like Pokemon than Rogue, but for that it's pretty cool.

Roguelike Radio just published a new episode about Haque, anyone play it?

Yeah, Steam is awfully generous with what they consider RLs.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

victrix posted:

I beat it when it came out and didn't feel the need to play it more :shrug:

I have like an hour played, it seems cool except for the somewhat annoying font.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone play sirilim? Looks more like an old school RPG more than what I think of as a roguelite but it's really cheap and I've got the itch to spend my two and a half bucks.

I played it and thought it was pretty neat. Siralim is a party RPG with a really big focus on coming up with synergies or weird broken combos by combining different monsters' unique traits. Though the rate at which you unlock/discover new monster species gets pretty low really fast as you progress through the story campaign, so if you don't use breeding to make lots of new monsters you will run out of new combos to try out and play with.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I posted about that game a few pages back

Hooplah posted:

I've been playing Siralim 3 on my phone a lot. Only really meets a few of the criteria for roguelike, but I think it should be on this thread's radar. It's like a pokemon/dungeon crawler hybrid that allows for some pretty absurd combos and character interactions. Scratches a similar itch to something like getting a really powerful combo online in slay the spire, or the right combo of items in BoI.

For example, my team right now has a guy that buffs your whole team with 25% of any buff one of your team receives from an external source. I've combined this with a guy that, instead of taking a normal turn, instead buffs each of your teammates with 30% of its current speed stat. That means each creature is buffed in turn, then each OTHER member of the team gets 25% of that buff, repeated for all 5 other teammates. That's like 30 speed buffs per turn with just those two guys. I also have a guy holding an artifact that buffs a random teammate's intelligence+attack whenever attacking, with similar results. and another of my teammates steals speed stat from enemies when it deals damage (which is the same kinda buff), and another guy that makes basic attacks scale partially off my now insanely-buffed speed stat. And I'm still in what's basically the extended tutorial.

There's like 700 monsters and each of them has a unique trait that can be abused like those.

This LP of siralim 2 gives a pretty good summary of the mechanics. 3 seems nearly identical in terms of gameplay, at least for the first few hours that I've played

It also has an internal cloud upload/download service so you can use your same save on your phone and computer. No online requirements besides the cloud saving if you want to use that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

City of Brass is way better looking and feeling than I was expecting

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

victrix posted:

City of Brass is way better looking and feeling than I was expecting

Yeah it really is a solid little FPS-Roguelite--probably one of the most polished in the genre, to be honest. I think I prefer Immortal Redneck overall (although I'm not entirely sure why...maybe because of overall variety?) but CoB would definitely be runner up. Once you figure out how to Tarzan around levels with your whip, finding opportunities to knock enemies into traps without slowing down, the game just sort of "clicks." I initially started the game by trying to kill everything and pick up every piece of gold, which is entirely unnecessary and sort of contrary to the spirit of the game.

I still haven't been able to beat the game with all of the negative level modifiers enabled, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Going back to Night of the Full Moon - has anyone actually managed to defeat the Cursed Werewolf?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone got tips for beating Desecration 3 in Deathstate? The Skeleton King is one of the few things I have left to unlock and I'm having a hell of a time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

Going back to Night of the Full Moon - has anyone actually managed to defeat the Cursed Werewolf?

I haven't even unlocked the Cursed Werewolf boss, how do you do it?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ToxicFrog posted:

I think it's from beating all the other bosses? Idk, I only play hard mode now because that's where all the unlocks I need are and it's structured a little differently, there's no honor/reputation gauge and no dialogues after battles and the boss you fight at the end is always set. I apparently have beaten the cursed werewolf but I have no idea what class I was using or what my deck was like. I do remember it being really close even though I was insanely OP though, he has like 5 "final forms" you have to get through and it's ridiculous. I don't think it even unlocks anything?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Cursed Werewolf is full-on bullshit :colbert:

tradjik
Mar 2, 2007

I got Night of the Full Moon a couple days ago and it's pretty fun. Pixel Dungeon is cool, too. Any other great mobile rogue likes I'm missing out on?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

It appears to always be the final boss on Hard VII.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Why should I bother with extra equipment slots in Night of the Full Moon? I’m yet to hit a limit.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Why should I bother with extra equipment slots in Night of the Full Moon? I’m yet to hit a limit.

Stuff in equipment slots are automatically equipped at the start of a battle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Stuff in equipment slots are automatically equipped at the start of a battle.

Which is why the blessing that gives three equipment slots at the cost of - 1 draw in your opening hand is insanely good. It's essentially "draw 2 cards of your choice on turn 1", except better because you'll get start of turn effects from them.

Also Shipborne Artillery is ridiculous.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hmnn... that’s badly explained. Thanks.

How can I choose which cards go into equipment slots?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Hmnn... that’s badly explained. Thanks.

How can I choose which cards go into equipment slots?

Press the Deck button. It'll show you what is equipped as default. Click on an equipped card and you'll have an option to remove it, click on an unequipped card and there's an option to use it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do we have a Cogmind thread? Cuz I'm just going to dump some venting here.

This game is great. Expensive! But the game was finished by most people's standards ages ago, so when I fired it up again recently I was agog on the new content. Also, for some reason, the game is really clicking with me now. Probably because I'm not even pretending to try and play it on anything but baby mode, so I can actually see content now. Anyways!

Started the run heading to Exiles as normal. Plan was to take their scanner, do a full-combat build, skip deep caves (cuz it keeps murdering me), go ally with Warlord later, and finally go see his lategame content. I'd previously gotten alerts that it was happening, but couldn't find him before I had to bail on -2. I've always had bad luck with Research branches, so taking the Exile scanner seemed like a win/win. I'd just follow Warlord on his rampage and see as much of extended and new storyline/lore as I could before dying.

Get to Exiles only to find that it's deserted. Didn't know that could happen! Oh well, moving on. Find Data Miner and just take his info and leave, find Zion and skip Deep caves as planned, find Warlord, say hi and get some nice loot. All according to plan, hurray! -3 was eternal and sprawling and I had no hacking to find the exits and my scanners keep getting jammed (important later). I find the branch to Quarantine and I've never been in it before, but I skip since the whole Exiles Scanner thing. I've never seen what happens, but I imagine that they have total vision of you, by the warnings. No thank you! So I wander forever and finally get -2. And luck be have it, Warlord's troop is right by the entrance! I behold his fleet in glory, then remember my remote datajack I've carried all game just for this. I promptly tag GodMode with it, expecting delayed results. You know, something about that secret weapon, maybe it'll fire off in a different spot or something.

Nope. Of course not. I've just majorly loving pissed off Warlord, I'm surrounded by his mooks, and THE ENTIRE GODDAMN RUN IS FSKED. All I wanted was to see extended, arghhh.

So I take a deep breath, save&quit, since it's late at night and I'm making bad decisions. And then the penny drops - I never got the Exile scanner. I've gone through all of the game with a normal scanner combo getting jammed all over. I coulda gone into Quarantine, and seen some new content that way.

I'm very upset with myself right now.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Serephina posted:

Do we have a Cogmind thread? Cuz I'm just going to dump some venting here.

Started the run heading to Exiles as normal. Plan was to take their scanner, do a full-combat build, skip deep caves (cuz it keeps murdering me), go ally with Warlord later, and finally go see his lategame content. I'd previously gotten alerts that it was happening, but couldn't find him before I had to bail on -2. I've always had bad luck with Research branches, so taking the Exile scanner seemed like a win/win. I'd just follow Warlord on his rampage and see as much of extended and new storyline/lore as I could before dying.

I haven't played Cogmind in a bit. Could you give some spoilers on the new Exiles map? Where it is, what's in it?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Night of the full moon is pretty fun. Thanks thread.
Seems like part of the game is learning wich enemies will completely destroy you though. I had a full action card deck and I would have absolutely been destroyed by that priest that forces you to play different kinds of cards if I hadn't known in advance to avoid him.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
So someone mentioned earlier that the iOS version doesn't allow you to continue after death, but it does.

Once you're booted back to the main menu after a death, hit continue. It will, well, continue. It isn't just for loading after you close out of the app.

I learned this after my action combo deck ran into the octopus who just happened to have his trap card ever single turn until I died.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Happylisk posted:

I haven't played Cogmind in a bit. Could you give some spoilers on the new Exiles map? Where it is, what's in it?
The exiles is Kyrzati making super early game content for rookies, while adding rather goofy items. It's found in the mines at -10 or -9, so just don't take the normal stairs and wander about a bit. They're a bunch of direlect mad scientists exiled from Zion but still friendly with Warlord. You can opt into their very own special FarCom scanner, which is a midrage, unjammable, teir2 bot scanner that only works in the main complex (ie not caves). It's added as a intrinsic, so it's basically 2 free slots, which is amazingly powerful. I you take the scanner they'll also let you into their stash of Mad Scientist goodies. You get a choice of one out of 3 randomly selected tier-9 prototypes (!!), each which is super unique, often with new mechanics implemented just for them. They're unrepairable, but if you pick a utility it might last you all run.

The tradeoffs? First, they warn you FarCom can be traced in the Research branches, which I've not poked the hornets nest just yet to find out exactly how you get boned. And second, in Zion the Imprinter won't like you so that content is gated. You can optionally steal all 3 items from the Exile vault, in which case they disable the FarCom and send steal-bots of ever increasing power at you all game. Stronger players will probably take that option.

It's basically huge leg-up for newer players in the early game, with appropriate tradeoffs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just started into the Hard game in Full Moon, I've now cleared Hard 1 as Knight, Ranger, and Wizard. Doesn't seem particularly different from Normal apart from getting the Time Elf as a guaranteed encounter. My Witch deck was a complete meatgrinder, though -- Pyro Blast and Killing Frost as my main attack spells, plus three different "your next spell is doubled" cards and two Frost Amulets to double the damage from Killing Frost again. And defensively, I had no healing, but I did have Magic Barrier, Ice Shield, lots of Mage on Alert, and that book that randomly generates counter cards, and of course the chill from the Frost Amulets reduces enemy damage too, so I was surprisingly difficult to even hurt. I was most of the way through the final boss's second life bar before I even took damage in that fight.

I tried Hard 2 Knight, but died gruesomely. Shipborne Artillery is great, but it doesn't really scale into the endgame unless you're finding lots of equipment and action cards that turn into equipment, which I did on my Hard 1 run (often ending fights with nearly two entire rows of gear at the bottom of the screen) but couldn't pull off on Hard 2.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

My experience was that it gets going around Hard 3 or 4 and Hard 7 is actively difficult. Hard 1 is basically Normal but with slightly tweaked mechanics (no Reuptation/Courage, Time Elf exists).

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I'm 5 years late to the party but I recently started playing WazHack and can't recommend it enough. Great game that's easy to get into with a pretty unique take on the NetHack formula.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BigLeafyTree posted:

My experience was that it gets going around Hard 3 or 4 and Hard 7 is actively difficult. Hard 1 is basically Normal but with slightly tweaked mechanics (no Reuptation/Courage, Time Elf exists).

Yeah the first couple hard modes are a breeze. I haven't tried Nun yet though and I'm thinking that more durdly builds might suffer more because eventually at some point in hard mode progressions monsters all get an intrinstic where they start drawing increasingly extra cards each turn if the fight goes on too long

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BattleHamster posted:

I'm 5 years late to the party but I recently started playing WazHack and can't recommend it enough. Great game that's easy to get into with a pretty unique take on the NetHack formula.

Would love to talk more about this. I never get very far, I think because I always want to use a controller and don't give it the patience it deserves. I recall goblins always pouring out of a door and overwhelming me before I get very deep.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Good to see that Night of the Full Moon gets harder. It’s fun, but I have steamrolled my first two runs.

Hell, my archer run could draw her entire deck in a turn with just a little luck and didn’t even come close to taking damage against the werewolf

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
By the end of the highest difficulty you can be running an equally busted deck and completely eat poo poo anyway. That endboss is an absolute motherfucker.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would love to talk more about this. I never get very far, I think because I always want to use a controller and don't give it the patience it deserves. I recall goblins always pouring out of a door and overwhelming me before I get very deep.

Yea the blend of real-time and turn-based makes it really easy to get impatient and go rushing into situations without thinking ahead. I'm new to the game but so far the level of bullshit seems comparable to most traditional rougelikes so I'm just approaching it exactly like I would one of those games, prioritizing experimenting with and figuring out mechanics/items/interactions before trying to beat the game.

Monster closets have definitely killed me way more than anything else but like everything they seem to have specific rules for what causes them to open, what enemies they spawn, and what loot they give as a reward.

So far I've had the best luck with the Huntress class. I thought Barbarian would be easy but once you get past the very beginning he seems to require a huge amount of knowledge and preparation because you quickly become a glass cannon melee fighter with very little room for mistakes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I tried Hard 2 Knight, but died gruesomely. Shipborne Artillery is great, but it doesn't really scale into the endgame unless you're finding lots of equipment and action cards that turn into equipment, which I did on my Hard 1 run (often ending fights with nearly two entire rows of gear at the bottom of the screen) but couldn't pull off on Hard 2.

I haven't had much problem with that. My most recent Hard 7 Knight attempt I took three extra equipment slots plus Enchanted Evening for three more and Artillery. Starting fights with only two cards turns out not to be a problem when you also start with 25 armour and deal 42 damage before turn 1; I took virtually no damage the entire game, and what I did take was healed by my vampire shield. (Of course I still got creamed by Cursed Werewolf because it got the damage-free unremovable Book of Confessions, but at least I did over 400 damage to it.)

Ranger is proving to be a lot harder. Ranger's broken Blessing is Rally Horn - combined with a lot of +card +action Actions you can easily draw your whole deck every turn as you thin out the attacks - but unlike Knight, I don't think it's possible to win at higher levels without it. I'm only at Hard 6 but I'm already quitting if I don't have the Horn by the end of Chapter 1. When you do get it, though, it's absurd - my Hard 5 win I got perfect OTKs against Rage Bear and Priest. (BTW, the achievement for killing Perist on turn 1 is actually for killing the Priest; like so many things in the game, it's horribly misspelled.)

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I think my favorite Night of the Full Moon run so far was a Knight run where the initial perk I took was the one that deals one fire damage whenever the enemy plays a card. Guided by this I ended up with 2 copies of the fire cloak equipment that deals 2 fire damage when the enemy plays an attack card, and 2 copies of that coin looking equipment that increased the damage you do on the opponent’s turn by 3. This meant every enemy attack was met with 23 damage return. Some of the enemies that get their turn first died before I had the chance to do anything because they immolated themselves in their opening flurry.

Towards the end I managed to pick up lifesteal from somewhere, and a copy of Bolster (an action card that gives you armor equal to the damage you do until next turn). This meant all my revenge damage was lifestealing ~6 per attack, and if I managed to hit Bolster that turn, my damage return also gave me 23 armor PER ATTACK by the enemy. It was delightfully bullshit, and my armor frequently shot into the hundreds. The only problem I ran into after that was I died once to some enemy that lined up some insane number of prayers to fire off in the same turn for like 70 damage.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 26, 2019

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BattleHamster posted:

Yea the blend of real-time and turn-based makes it really easy to get impatient and go rushing into situations without thinking ahead. I'm new to the game but so far the level of bullshit seems comparable to most traditional rougelikes so I'm just approaching it exactly like I would one of those games, prioritizing experimenting with and figuring out mechanics/items/interactions before trying to beat the game.

Monster closets have definitely killed me way more than anything else but like everything they seem to have specific rules for what causes them to open, what enemies they spawn, and what loot they give as a reward.

So far I've had the best luck with the Huntress class. I thought Barbarian would be easy but once you get past the very beginning he seems to require a huge amount of knowledge and preparation because you quickly become a glass cannon melee fighter with very little room for mistakes.

I should play this some more, it's a really cool translation of a Nethacklike into a different visual style. I think I will try the Huntress; iirc, I tried with the barbarian before, but a ranged weapon was pretty useful.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Transcendence gains solidly for v1.8:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/364510/announcements/detail/1760249275854382696

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I may have found a bug in Full Moon, but if so I hope it never gets fixed, because check this out:

- Lightning Potion (spell 1): deal 1 lightning damage [3..5] times; if this card is not temporary, get a temporary copy of Lightning Potion in your hand.
- Secret Pouch (attack): play every potion in your deck; they cost mana and are removed from the deck as if you had played them normally.
- Cocktail (action 1): cause the effect of every kind of potion you own, without actually playing them.

If you Secret Pouch a Lightning Potion, you get a temporary Lightning Potion in your hand.

If you Cocktail and have at least one Lightning Potion in your card list, you get a copy of Cocktail.

Also, it stacks with Potency and with Concentrate; having the latter in effect and a Lightning Potion, in particular, basically turns Cocktail into "(action 2): play every potion type in your card list four times".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I may have found a bug in Full Moon, but if so I hope it never gets fixed, because check this out:

- Lightning Potion (spell 1): deal 1 lightning damage [3..5] times; if this card is not temporary, get a temporary copy of Lightning Potion in your hand.
- Secret Pouch (attack): play every potion in your deck; they cost mana and are removed from the deck as if you had played them normally.
- Cocktail (action 1): cause the effect of every kind of potion you own, without actually playing them.

If you Secret Pouch a Lightning Potion, you get a temporary Lightning Potion in your hand.

If you Cocktail and have at least one Lightning Potion in your card list, you get a copy of Cocktail.

Also, it stacks with Potency and with Concentrate; having the latter in effect and a Lightning Potion, in particular, basically turns Cocktail into "(action 2): play every potion type in your card list four times".

Everything with Apocethary feels so busted that I'm never sure if it's bugged or not lol. I'll just play a card and all of a sudden 50 damage procs go off and the enemy gets 4 different kinds of debuffs and I'm like, uh, yeah that's exactly what I meant to do