Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

starkebn posted:

Ars Magica

that's the one I was thinking of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is the Starfinder corebook worth picking up in the Humble Bundle?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

super sweet best pal posted:

no

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Considering it's only like 20 bucks for everything in that bundle, I'd say it's worth it if you have any interest in Pathfinder/Starfinder at all

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not interested in the Pathfinder portion, except maybe the campaign modules, which I assume could be converted to other games with a bit of work. what I want is a decent modern sci-fi system.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starfinder is absolutely not that so I would give the bundle a pass.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even pathfinder fans seem pretty meh on starfinder

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pathfinder can be played with just the $1 bundle, since it has both the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary, and even the first two parts of an adventure module

Starfinder is incomplete even with the full bundle: it doesn't have a module to go with it, and it doesn't have the Alien Archive/bestiary

I would recommend Fragged Empire for a sci-fi game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Not interested in the Pathfinder portion, except maybe the campaign modules, which I assume could be converted to other games with a bit of work. what I want is a decent modern sci-fi system.

Starfinder isn't really Sci-Fi, honestly, it's literally just pathfinder in space. If you want Sci-Fi go with Fragged Empire imo

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

S.J. posted:

Starfinder isn't really Sci-Fi, honestly, it's literally just pathfinder in space. If you want Sci-Fi go with Fragged Empire imo

Not just pathfinder in space, but pathfinder in space with even worse rules.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pathfinder can be played with just the $1 bundle, since it has both the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary, and even the first two parts of an adventure module

Starfinder is incomplete even with the full bundle: it doesn't have a module to go with it, and it doesn't have the Alien Archive/bestiary

I would recommend Fragged Empire for a sci-fi game.

Also the Beginner Box which is really good despite being Pathfinder

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Tangential note: I know Fragged Empire is good for crunchy scifi games, but what other good scifi games are out there? It's not something I'm super-interested in so most of it passes me by, but I feel I should have more than one game to recommend people that isn't Starfinger.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

potatocubed posted:

Tangential note: I know Fragged Empire is good for crunchy scifi games, but what other good scifi games are out there? It's not something I'm super-interested in so most of it passes me by, but I feel I should have more than one game to recommend people that isn't Starfinger.

the new star wars games are very popular. I didn't really like them but I'm in the minority on that, most people seem to like it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I haven't had a chance to play/run it yet but the new Alternity seems to be ok.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Well here's a couple recommendations;

Mekton Zeta(has some issues and is a little clunky due to it's age, but is still quite usable)

Battle Century G

Gamma World 7e

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

8one6 posted:

I haven't had a chance to play/run it yet but the new Alternity seems to be ok.

Genesys is a bad system and I really would not recommend it to anyone. It's an especially bad system for Star Wars.

It's pretty hard to answer the wider question since there aren't a ton of sci-fi games if you're looking for "pure" sci-fi instead of cyberpunk or mechs.

Scum & Villainy is a decent hack of Blades in the Dark, if you want to play Firefly/Serenity.

Eclipse Phase will probably be good once 2e hits. It has a cool setting but the 1e mechanics are not good.

I liked Tachyon Squadron, a Fate Core game where you play the space International Brigades flying space fighters against space Nazis. It has good dogfighting rules.

There's also Ashen Stars, a Gumshoe game where you're adventuring mercenary space cops investigating space crimes.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

potatocubed posted:

I think it was stated before, but true sci-fi tends to focus on advancements rather than just trappings, and that's seldom the focus of RPG writers.

I don't have any systems to add that weren't just stated a post or two above me, but I think freeform or bespoke games are going to get you the closest to actual sci-fi stories. If you want space-ships/mecha than yeah, Fragged Empire, Battle Century G and Lancer seem like the best.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

potatocubed posted:

If you like improv and promoting the idea that something interesting happens every roll, then Star Wars is really good as a narrative style game. Its not rules light but I've found its a really good bridge for narrative and crunchy rpg. The dice are pretty great in general and the force mechanics are pretty great and all about tying narrative and mechanics in an amazing way.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

kingcom posted:

If you like improv and promoting the idea that something interesting happens every roll, then Star Wars is really good as a narrative style game. Its not rules light but I've found its a really good bridge for narrative and crunchy rpg. The dice are pretty great in general and the force mechanics are pretty great and all about tying narrative and mechanics in an amazing way.

I'll second this. The dice look funky but you'll learn how they work quickly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Stars Without Number Revised is very good, imo. The basic rules are free, but if you pick up the deluxe edition it adds some cool poo poo like transhuman characters/campaigns, full AIs and mechs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I play Starfinder with friends, but yeah there are bad rules.

Last night I noticed a feat that says an opponent targeted by it becomes immune to its effects for 24 hours. RAW, the timing means the feat will never ever work. I don't think anyone proof-read this.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

potatocubed posted:

For various wildly varying flavors of sci-fi and game: Scum and Villainy, Ashen Stars , Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e, Technoir, and Mindjammer

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

moths posted:

Last night I noticed a feat that says an opponent targeted by it becomes immune to its effects for 24 hours. RAW, the timing means the feat will never ever work. I don't think anyone proof-read this.

It was clearly rushed out for a Gencon release, given the surprisingly short time they had for development and the myriad basic design errors that made it to publication.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Plutonis posted:

I see that Lords of Chaos is out, has anyone done a F&F of Varg's masterpiece of race realist TRPGs, MYFAROG?

M-M-M-Myyyy farogaaa

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m surprised Alternity (2017) slipped under my radar. The TSR version has been my white whale in that I only got to run the game once but still grabbed a bunch of the books once they hit the secondary market.

Has anyone had a chance to read or play the revised one? As much as it’s nostalgic for me, I have no desire to actually run the original game these days.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

potatocubed posted:

I'd recommend Stars Without Numbers: Revised or Scum and Villainy for most use cases. SWN does a pretty good job of giving you a kind of crunchy toolset for when you want specific sorts of gear or ships to have a lot of mechanical weight, while S&V is pretty great for a more breezy take on space opera. For mechs, I like Lancer.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I see that Lords of Chaos is out, has anyone done a F&F of Varg's masterpiece of race realist TRPGs, MYFAROG?

Not yet, and hopefully they won't. Vikernes is a murderous psychopath Nazi and would-be terrorist, and gawking at his shoddy fantasy RPG is honestly more attention than he deserves.

But I can mini-F&F it for you right here and now, if you want:

MYFAROG: Mythic Fantasy Roleplaying Game
MYFAROG is a fantasy roleplaying game by the sociopathic murderer, would be terrorist bomber, and outright Nazi Christian 'Varg' Vikernes. It's a bad game. The game seems to mostly be about playing not-vikings to who kill swarthy stand-ins for Jews, Christians, and Muslims, and black dark-skinned people in general. In short, it's basically a vehicle for Vikernes' genocidal fantasies, you know, when he's not stockpiling guns to commit actual genocide. It's written entirely in Papyrus. There's a lot to say about the fact that it's author is a church-burning sociopathic murderer who's stopped from committing acts of terrorism twice in two separate countries, but if you strip away all that you're left with a virulently racist and uncreative game, and if you strip away all that you're left with Baby's First D&D Heartbreaker.

There. One paragraph, written in the time it took me to get through a can of soda. It doesn't deserve more.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

It's not good, but if you've got money to burn and it's only $20 then I guess so? :shrug: The system is weird and the setting is super janky. It can't decide if it wants to be fantasy in space, Shadowrun in space, or Star Wars with fantasy races. It ends up doing none of those things well. The F.A.T.A.L. and Friends review of it probably covers it best.

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/alien-rope-burn/starfinder-core-rulebook/

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tricky posted:

I'd recommend Stars Without Numbers: Revised or Scum and Villainy for most use cases. SWN does a pretty good job of giving you a kind of crunchy toolset for when you want specific sorts of gear or ships to have a lot of mechanical weight, while S&V is pretty great for a more breezy take on space opera. For mechs, I like Lancer.

I'll second Stars Without Number. It's an old-school RPG, but the rules are simple and the setting is open enough that you can use it to do nearly anything.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

Not yet, and hopefully they won't. Vikernes is a murderous psychopath Nazi and would-be terrorist, and gawking at his shoddy fantasy RPG is honestly more attention than he deserves.

Are you telling me if mussolini wrote a splatbook you wouldnt want it reviewed because hes a bad guy? Thats specifically why I want it reviewed. I dont want people who quote 'separate artist from the art' to think anything this guy makes is good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's not good, but if you've got money to burn and it's only $20 then I guess so? :shrug: The system is weird and the setting is super janky. It can't decide if it wants to be fantasy in space, Shadowrun in space, or Star Wars with fantasy races. It ends up doing none of those things well. The F.A.T.A.L. and Friends review of it probably covers it best.

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/alien-rope-burn/starfinder-core-rulebook/

Is there a game that does any of these three things well at all? Because if there is, I feel like there's a lot of goofy fun to be had.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Are you telling me if mussolini wrote a splatbook you wouldnt want it reviewed because hes a bad guy? Thats specifically why I want it reviewed. I dont want people who quote 'separate artist from the art' to think anything this guy makes is good.

There's not any reason to review an incitement to racial hatred, full stop.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

Is there a game that does any of these three things well at all? Because if there is, I feel like there's a lot of goofy fun to be had.

4e manual of the planes is fantasy in space.
Fragged Empire or Scum and villainy can be used for Shadowrun in space.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

potatocubed posted:

SF's one of those broad fields where I don't think 'generic' SF games will ever be that great.

Mongoose Traveller is still completely fine and playable for dirtbag trading engineer space opera where you can fix your spaceship with a wrench.

Uncharted Worlds is a PBTA SF game that I've played a few times and enjoyed. Haven't run it yet so I'm not sure how the GM-side stuff is. The feel is similar to Traveller.

Eclipse Phase's setting and hooks and adventures are good enough that the system being pretty bad didn't stand in my way much. This is where you want to go if you want transhumanist SF rather than wrenches.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Plutonis posted:

A Heavy Metal magazine did a review. It's 1st Edition D&D with a lot of racism.
http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/08/21/advanced-discrimination-dragons-critical-look-varg-vikernes-myfarog-rpg/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah I saw that one and a friend of mine pirated one of the modern day setting that is literally RaHoWa 2nd edition and send some of the pages to me and I remember cackling at it like a maniac

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Another good sci-fi game would be Mothership

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LatwPIAT posted:

Vikernes is a ... would-be terrorist

MYFAROG is ... written entirely in Papyrus.
He has officially dropped the "would-be" part of that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Of course the fantasy world is named Thule.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

cptn_dr posted:

I dunno? Agree on all counts that it would own bones, and I can imagine Fate Accelerated would make it possible. I remember running a game for a group of my weeb friends, and I had them play a super-sentai group granted powers by Amaterasu and Tsukiyomi. They were a rag-tag group of kids, teens, a hobo, and a talking cat. They managed to to pull up a subway and crash it into the villain they were fighting. Good times.