Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

The last thing you mentioned messed me up too. REAL bad. Like had to walk away from the monitor to grab a drink, crying bad.

I've been slowly chipping away at Steins Gate and it hasn't sunk in yet, so the beginning exposition and dialogue have been a little strenuous to get through.
My immediate impressions are:

1) Wow this guy is Dib from Invader Zim, huh?

2) You can write 'Dr. P', and label it 'Dr. People' in an image. But I'm hearing Dr. Pepper in the audio motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

They're saying "Doctor Pepple," actually! It's very similar in Japanese due to the L-R similarity.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

John Lee posted:

They're saying "Doctor Pepple," actually! It's very similar in Japanese due to the L-R similarity.

I'm not sure what's going on in Elite, but in the original Japanese S;G they actually say "Dr. Pepper" and show an unmodified logo. The graphics were edited to read "Dr. People" for the western release alone. Dr. Pepper is also listed in the credits under "collaboration", along with other companies (mostly actual shops in Akihabara) that have their names used unchanged in the game.

This changed in the anime, where the drink's logo was changed to "Dk. Pepper" and they always use the abbreviation "dokupe" to refer to it (this is an actual abbreviation people used for Dr. Pepper in Japan, but unlike the full name is not a trademark). My guess is that Dr. Pepper saw no harm in agreeing to appear without money exchanging hands in an obscure XBox-exclusive game, but once television was involved they couldn't keep the deal.

S;G0 the game doesn't actually mention the drink all that much and never shows it. The one time I can recall it being mentioned they used the abbreviation. For the anime, the partnership was back and there was even a Dr. Pepper campaign around it, including branded cans featuring the characters.

The so-called L-R similarity wouldn't be an issue anyway for this, though: Dr. Pepper is pronounced "Dokutaa Peppaa" in Japanese.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of S;G, I just got to the lab mem pizza party, and uh

I changed my mind can this go back to being a fun slice of life thing with an annoying eccentric high schooler protagonist :stonk:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I finally finished Steins;Gate after leaving it abandoned for a year or so. Was able to get more into it this time than when I first played it. Is the movie worth watching? It apparently takes place after the events of the show but I assume the show is just the true ending without all the side stuff, right?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The anime is just the true ending (but it is a really good adaptation). The movie is it's own thing, but doesn't add anything worthwhile at all, so unless you are just really desperate for more S;G you can skip it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

astr0man posted:

The anime is just the true ending (but it is a really good adaptation). The movie is it's own thing, but doesn't add anything worthwhile at all, so unless you are just really desperate for more S;G you can skip it.

Is the anime worth watching despite already going through the VN and seeing all of its endings?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'd say it's definitely worth watching at some point, but maybe not right after you read the VN?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are there any worthwhile VNs available in English on iOS? Or any at all really.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

does Ace Attorney count?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

There was Night of the Sickle Weasel/Banshee's Last Cry but I think it never got updated for 64-bit and won't run anymore or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does Ace Attorney count?

Yes but I've played them all multiple times lol

kirbysuperstar posted:

There was Night of the Sickle Weasel/Banshee's Last Cry but I think it never got updated for 64-bit and won't run anymore or something.

Yeah that's what prompted me to ask because I was gonna download that again and actually read but but it won't let me anymore :(

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of S;G, I just got to the lab mem pizza party, and uh

I changed my mind can this go back to being a fun slice of life thing with an annoying eccentric high schooler protagonist :stonk:

Of course, that's the whole point of time travel. What could possibly go wrong?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tamba posted:

Of course, that's the whole point of time travel. What could possibly go wrong?

S:G spoilers i'm actually really glad the story went back to being slightly lighter after the "Mayushii dies over and over again" bit, but i'm guessing there's going to be some more of that stuff before whatever the ending is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also, for people who don't have them yet, the Zero Escape games are on sale on the Vita store this week, including ZTD.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I finished Umineko recently. Full disclosure, I got to chapter 4 and was so frustrated with how slowly things were being revealed that I gave up, and then at work I ended up looking up some spoilers. A few months later it turned out I was 15 minutes away from the "Kinzo is dead in this and every story" reveal.... whoops.

Anyways I thought the story was unbelievably inventive. I liked so much of it I just wish the first few chapters werent quite so repetitive. Like 1-4 have the best parts (troll beatrice) but wow there's repetition. Most of the magic after chapter 3 just feels like a waste of time and dear god there's a lot of it. (before chapter 3 it's great, Rosa goats is probably the best scene in the whole thing though I also liked executioner Erika)

Chapters 5 and 6 were carried by Erika being a great antagonist and 7/8 werent all that interesting to me but I knew spoilers so I can't judge them fairly.

I was surprised how little reference there was to Sayo being a castrated boy compared to how much Ryukishi has confirmed it in interviews. It takes Sayo from sad to completely and hopelessly hosed from birth.

The character who I just can't forgive by the end is Genji. You really get the sense that the only reason he saved Sayo and gave her this lovely servant life from age 8 was so that Kinzo could have his catharsis some day. It's pretty sick. We saw how well Sayo reacted to the tiniest bit of parenting that Kumasawa gave her and Genji just did gently caress all while knowing everything for 19 years.

I would prefer a version with tighter editing but this story is pretty unreal and unique, there is seriously nothing like this.

Also I really enjoyed the trick ending.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 25, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko: The decision to avoid giving explicit answers on the culprit was an interesting one. My take on it is that Umineko as a whole is essentially a world built around her confession, so it ends up dancing around her personal secrets that she feels unable to reveal directly. Most of the answers are present but buried under a layer of metaphor, particularly in the episode 2 fantasy scenes, which pretty much fully explain Sayo's motivations once you know that you should read the S/K/B scenes as internal monologues. I agree that the later fantasy scenes are a lot less good, they're usually metaphors that are more obvious on a surface level but which don't really say anything interesting. As I understand it R07 deliberately changed tack after episode 2 because so many people were confused by it.

I think this was a reasonable decision for S/K/B specifically - it was something that Sayo explicitly wanted to hide, and the first four episodes are deliberately set up so that you can solve them without knowing about it. It's the thing that you can't see without love. But there's some other stuff like the wound and Sayo's reaction to learning about her parenthood that probably should've been spelled out, and which were later explicitly revealed in other media like the manga.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I wasn't smart enough to know what the hell was going on in 2 but it was a great episode. Everything was so hype - Kanon pulling his blade out, the goat spiderweb incident, and musou rosa. I read about Ryukiji's reaction and he was upset that people weren't trying to solve the murders.

Personally? I'm not a big mystery person, I like complicated psychological plots and winnable games like in Fukumoto mangas but doing the actual grindy work of making a yarn board isnt something I enjoy. I'll just enjoy what's shown to me.

But Ryukiji really, really wanted the readers to care about solving the murders. Like we still got a unique cool thing at the end of the day, I just don't see why he cared so much whether people tried to solve the murders or not. Then in chapter 8 Ange gets lectured that she shouldn't care about the truth! No fair.

I mostly just liked watching Battler and Beatrice going at it, especially when Beatrice wins. Heck that's what everyone remembers about the story even though it takes up a surprisingly small amount of screen time.

It's almost unreasonable to come to the conclusion that Sayo is a castrated male given that "can't make love" would more simply refer to being cousins with BGJ, the only people in her universe. But once you see it spelled out in the manga yeah it really does a whole lot for the characterization... shame there's one ambiguous line in the 2 million words of umineko that references it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 25, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that's what prompted me to ask because I was gonna download that again and actually read but but it won't let me anymore :(

Ah, bugger.

Does Mystic Messenger count :v:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm on Umineko Episode 8 now. Nothing is happening. This is like, a silly joke game where everyone is happy. Seems like this all set up to teach Ange a "lesson" which I hate. She has been right the entire time, and continues right here in her frustration over not being shown what really happened. And I bet some bullshit sob story is going to come out about Eva that will make her look better and make Ange feel bad about not liking her. I already hate it. I will say that seeing a silly and happy Kinzo is pretty fun.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

orenronen posted:

I'm not sure what's going on in Elite, but in the original Japanese S;G they actually say "Dr. Pepper" and show an unmodified logo. The graphics were edited to read "Dr. People" for the western release alone. Dr. Pepper is also listed in the credits under "collaboration", along with other companies (mostly actual shops in Akihabara) that have their names used unchanged in the game.

This changed in the anime, where the drink's logo was changed to "Dk. Pepper" and they always use the abbreviation "dokupe" to refer to it (this is an actual abbreviation people used for Dr. Pepper in Japan, but unlike the full name is not a trademark). My guess is that Dr. Pepper saw no harm in agreeing to appear without money exchanging hands in an obscure XBox-exclusive game, but once television was involved they couldn't keep the deal.

S;G0 the game doesn't actually mention the drink all that much and never shows it. The one time I can recall it being mentioned they used the abbreviation. For the anime, the partnership was back and there was even a Dr. Pepper campaign around it, including branded cans featuring the characters.

The so-called L-R similarity wouldn't be an issue anyway for this, though: Dr. Pepper is pronounced "Dokutaa Peppaa" in Japanese.
My bad, then! I thought I remembered the logo saying Dr. Peppel in the fan translation I played of the Japanese PC port, but I could easily be mistaken.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

(Umineko chapter 6 spoilers) I still like Eva as a character, when she whispered evil things to Shannon while thinking of herself as an upright person and being all soft with Hideyoshi (she has a kind face in the huge boobs steam release version of the game). I like all the adults besides Kyrie, it's too bad they lose so much of the focus of the narrative after chapter 3 or so. The one upshot is that Krauss becomes a lot more hilarious as a character when you find out how terrible he is with money.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm on Umineko Episode 8 now. Nothing is happening. This is like, a silly joke game where everyone is happy. Seems like this all set up to teach Ange a "lesson" which I hate. She has been right the entire time, and continues right here in her frustration over not being shown what really happened. And I bet some bullshit sob story is going to come out about Eva that will make her look better and make Ange feel bad about not liking her. I already hate it. I will say that seeing a silly and happy Kinzo is pretty fun.
This is a post-episode 8 spoiler: What Bernkastel showed at the end of episode 7 is what happened, this was confirmed in some extra material (how absurd is it that he didn't bother fitting this into the 2 million words of Umineko? Ryukiji is hilarious).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, bugger.

Does Mystic Messenger count :v:

That cursed VN has reappeared. I liked Chertiz's older games but plz avoid MM as the main story didn't make much sense and all the additions have been steadily declined to the point of nonsense. Also, the MC has no eyes.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

No Wave posted:

(Umineko chapter 6 spoilers) I still like Eva as a character, when she whispered evil things to Shannon while thinking of herself as an upright person and being all soft with Hideyoshi (she has a kind face in the huge boobs steam release version of the game). I like all the adults besides Kyrie, it's too bad they lose so much of the focus of the narrative after chapter 3 or so. The one upshot is that Krauss becomes a lot more hilarious as a character when you find out how terrible he is with money.

This is a post-episode 8 spoiler: What Bernkastel showed at the end of episode 7 is what happened, this was confirmed in some extra material (how absurd is it that he didn't bother fitting this into the 2 million words of Umineko? Ryukiji is hilarious).

:siren: full Umineko spoilers :siren: I legit had to go back to some videos of episode 7 to remind myself and holy poo poo I almost feel like my mind just blanked out when I originally read this because I feel like I did not quite understand Nanjo's and Genji's role in this poo poo and I did not quite, uhh, appreciate what was basically baby mutilation and following emotional abuse throughout a life. Shis is so, incredibly, grim. :stonk: I mean I understood what happened on surface level but it... did not quite hit me even after finishing the game

Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake but the VN is weaved in such a ridiculous manner that you can keep coming back to it and appreciate stuff constantly in a new light. I really need to read the manga and replay the game from start with the patches installed on EP1-4 at some point.

And Higurashi update from episode 6, Including Umineko spoilers too, I guess

The fact that Satoko is voice acted through the fan patch (well, you'd have an easy time guessing based on the coloured name, I guess) makes it so much simpler to figure out who or whose "shell" Rika is talking to. I think Rika appearing to Rena outside the van was the longest consecutive dialogue I didn't skip voiced dialogue lines even partially for. The fan patch HUGELY enhances any scenes with Rika's "alter ego". I'm hesitant to just call her/it/whatever Bernkastel because I can't believe on its face that there's such a direct connection between the two works. I feel like Oiishi was too willing to believe Rena's ridiculous theories she unearthed from Miyo's (she's basically the old witch whatherface from Umineko isn't she) scrapbooks. I'm not sure if I can digest "friendship is the answer". I'm not sure if I can disregard "the parasites" theory. Rena seems completely insane and in the deep end, but my initial reactions to Keiichi spilling the poo poo out to Mion was that he's a naive fool. I can imagine the "parasites" theory being majorly in the right direction. Hell, "the real" answer might be less believable in a way. I still don't get the eyes though. Does it just imply madness/misstrust towards friends? Why is Rika's "alter ego" so focused on what *seems* to be a happy ending? I need to purge my mind that she's just Bernkastel thanks to playing Umineko first and just take it at...face value to a degree while still staying skeptical. It seems to me that the various routes describe mental illnesses from each of the cast. Including Keeichi's.

Coming from Umineko I'm surprised about the lack of absolutely overt ridiculous anime shenanigans and am honestly kind of missing/hoping some sort of ridiculous finale, I guess. But till' now I feel Higurashi is like... slightly more than 1/3 as entertaining as best parts of Umineko.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 26, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you look for the manga section called "confession of the golden witch" in volume 8 (somewhere in chapter 24) it spells out everything (full spoilers) Ryukishi was concerned would get censored out of the game w/r/t Sayo's gender.

Somehow I blame Nanjo less just because he wasn't sleeping in the house next door and it would be easy for him to just feel like he was doing his role as a doctor (I'm willing to believe sayo's genitals were somehow destroyed in the fall), though he's also hilariously in on everything in almost every murder game (Will calling him out was funny).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Alder posted:

That cursed VN has reappeared. I liked Chertiz's older games but plz avoid MM as the main story didn't make much sense and all the additions have been steadily declined to the point of nonsense. Also, the MC has no eyes.

Whose eyes are those eyes?

Yeah that wasn't a real suggestion I guess. Honestly even within the Android ecosystem I don't know what VNs are around, other than it being way easier to port/build Renpy projects for it than iOS.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

orenronen posted:

I'm not sure what's going on in Elite, but in the original Japanese S;G they actually say "Dr. Pepper" and show an unmodified logo.

In Elite it's pronounced properly in the Japanese audio like in the original, but since the art is just the anime, it has the Dk. Pepper bottles. The English localization text for Elite uses "Dr P" everywhere.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

RIP me I realized they haven't still localized the revamped versions of Higurashi from chapter 7 onwards (and thus no fan patches either). Guess I'll wait (and probably never read them). The old engine and lack of voice acting is just too much for me to return to. Honestly I probably wouldn't recommend the VN unless you can deal with the old engine, its horrible backgrounds and lack of VA these days. I do own the older versions as well because I started originally reading them in that form but got tired of it.

Unless someone heavily recommends me to read them despite that? I could deal with Umineko's ch1-4 without even realizing fan patches existed but I'm not sure the translation and story and execution is worth it from chapter 7 onwards. Umineko's music got real good, and while Higurashi has shown some signs of improvement is is nowhere near there yet.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 27, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's been long enough since Chapter 6 was released that you'd hope Chapter 7 would be right around the corner. I realize how silly that feels given how long it's been but they have had a habit of just showing up all of a sudden and supposedly much of the legwork for TL and QC was already done. Supposedly.

I do feel that Chapter 7 / Minagoroshi is the best overall When They Cry chapter. I'm not sure how much its impact will be lost to people who are either familiar with Higurashi's overall story from like the anime or how Umineko would regularly one up itself with twists and metaphysical-breaking shenanigans, but at the time it finally got translated* it was a big loving deal when you consider the type of story it had been telling up to that point. Even the opening scenes alone were revelatory in such a way that it reframed everything and it was very cool.

*Funnily enough the first bit of the VN I ever read was a translation patch for just the opening scenes of Minagoroshi in the old SA anime thread for Higurashi before the 2nd season came out. It wasn't known at the time that there'd be a sequel and that opening alone is such a huge set of revelations that it was a lot of fun learning about it at the time. Now I bet a lot of that novelty is lost but I am hopeful it still lands for new readers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Held up for me when I first read it a few years ago, but I was in the apparently now uncommon position of having not read umineko first nor seen any of the higurashi anime.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm new to this thread so this may have been posted. For any umineko readers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJHCUmIC8M

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Just pointing out that the Magical Diary: Wolf Hall Kickstarter is ending in 18 hours. If you plan on backing, make sure to do so soon!

Currently we are around $7,500 from the last stretch goal, however, two people have privately donated $1000 each, so we are actually about $5,500 away.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Finally read and liked The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence quite a bit. The tighter focus of the story made the whole thing more satisfying than the original. It did a good job of filling in the blanks and making the overall Fata Morgana story feel balanced and complete.

It's clear the writer(s) realized many of the shortcomings of the original and sought to fix them here. I'm glad they did. Where the first game (mostly the ending) left me with lukewarm feelings toward the game and development team, this entry left me wanting to see what they come up with next.

Major spoilers haha gently caress Aimee :byewhore:

And thank god they taught Michel how to speak to Giselle, it made the happy mushy parts so much more enjoyable/tolerable, vs grade-school awkward Michel in Door 8.

It was really cool that the writers, in the Backstage extras of this one, covered a lot of the topics that I would have wanted to talk about regarding this game and the first. So... I guess I don't need to expand any more here. :v:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Started Higurashi chapter 1: Didn't expect this to get spooky and to be on the edge of my seat this much. I pretty much went into this thing completely blind. I'm after the part where Rena gets all creepy-eyed and accused Keiichi of keeping secrets.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Umineko episode 5 Currently at Erika having a debate about the knocking sound and my current half-baked theory is that it's a misdirection in the wording- if I haven't mistaken, the text refers to the knock being "at the 24:00 bell" and places people in certain spots at 24:00, but never specifies that the clock that activated the bell was set to the correct time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ryuga Death posted:

Started Higurashi chapter 1: Didn't expect this to get spooky and to be on the edge of my seat this much. I pretty much went into this thing completely blind. I'm after the part where Rena gets all creepy-eyed and accused Keiichi of keeping secrets.

Haha yup. I also went in blind and had a similar reaction. I had been reading it slowly until I got to that point, then basically read the rest in one sitting.

Speaking of Higurashi Chapter 7 is finally "almost ready to go into beta," which from past examples means that we are less than a couple of months away from release.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

MegaZeroX posted:

Haha yup. I also went in blind and had a similar reaction. I had been reading it slowly until I got to that point, then basically read the rest in one sitting.

Call me a wimp but I don't recall any VN giving me so many blood chilling moments of unease and discomfort. The slow start really paid off. This whole thing is reminding me of a Junjo Ito type story.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

anyone playing Steam Prison (PC)? I read some reviews yet there are so many words that have no meaning. I'm still iffy on 4/5 bad endings like why.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finished chapter 1 of Higurashi and started chapter 2, all I can say is: what?

Also, preordering is up for the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy on Steam. It's 30 bucks USD which doesn't seem like a bad value for three games. I saw a steam forum thread claiming that the localization of the Ace Attorney games is some of the worst in video game history. I assume that's just dumb hyperbole but is there any truth to the localization being poor in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Also, preordering is up for the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy on Steam. It's 30 bucks USD which doesn't seem like a bad value for three games. I saw a steam forum thread claiming that the localization of the Ace Attorney games is some of the worst in video game history. I assume that's just dumb hyperbole but is there any truth to the localization being poor in general?

Quite the opposite; without hyperbole it's widely considered to be some of the best localisation work in video game history.