Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just started Of Honour and Iron, and while the Ultramarines part is a massive snooze fest so far, the part where the Iron Warriors smuglord watches as he gets horribly hosed over in the blink of an eye is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm catching up on the Horus Heresy, just finished Ruinstorm which was actually fantastic. It was a brilliant depiction of the Warp and I loved how strong and importance symbolism was throughout.

Old Earth is fantastic in another way. It's a great book for bed because reading Nick Kyme is so boring it puts me to sleep in five minutes tops.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 24, 2019

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone checked out The Buried dagger or that new lady commissar book? Have a bit of an itch for some 40k reading ATM.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is the stuff in the Black Library Celebration book expected to be released at a later date?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Laughing Zealot posted:

Anyone checked out The Buried dagger or that new lady commissar book? Have a bit of an itch for some 40k reading ATM.

I'm only about 20 pages in to Buried Dagger but so far so good.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is the stuff in the Black Library Celebration book expected to be released at a later date?

I really hope so considering Chris Wraight wrote a short story about the Dark Angels in the Rangdan Xenocides. As far as I know the first story we have set in them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Hamilcar Champion of the Gods is good.

If you have even passing interest in Age of Sigmar I heavily recommend it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I need to catch up on "The Beast Arises" I was into those audiobooks circa late 2016 and I forgot to go back and check if more were released.

Though I was greatly sceptical about the idea of returning primarchs. I like the 40k universe were they are condensed into legends of times of old.

Personally my favourite primach was Perturabo. Because he was the only primarch not huffing his own farts. He was the head of the garbage-man legion and he knew it. That there was no glory in war for him. Just a big mess to clean up.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Came back from my trip to the Netherlands yesterday, 18 hours of driving in total, chewed through Warmaster easily. Decent book where the only criticism I had was the actual fighting towards the last half while I was jonesing hard for the more interesting developments behind the scenes.

Also, revealing Macaroth as a character was loving hilarious to me, and the complete opposite of basically any of the three ways I would figure it would go.

Grabbed the ebook version of Anarch because I don't have any longer drives comping up, figured I'd chew through it over the weekend. I'm stoked.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finished the Anarch, it’s so loving good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Katt posted:

I need to catch up on "The Beast Arises" I was into those audiobooks circa late 2016 and I forgot to go back and check if more were released.

Ehhhhhhhh. Maybe don't bother if there's anything else you might want to spend a Audible credit on. There's certainally more recent 40k audiobooks that are better. That series is not great and arguably the back third is the weakest part.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 25, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Came back from my trip to the Netherlands yesterday, 18 hours of driving in total, chewed through Warmaster easily. Decent book where the only criticism I had was the actual fighting towards the last half while I was jonesing hard for the more interesting developments behind the scenes.

Also, revealing Macaroth as a character was loving hilarious to me, and the complete opposite of basically any of the three ways I would figure it would go.
It really is weird that the combat was so minor and "also a fight happen at the end" for a Ghosts book, but on the other hand the level of the action has moved to Crusade level, and we're watching Gaunt deploy his bodyguard regiment because he's that kind of dude.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Came back from my trip to the Netherlands yesterday, 18 hours of driving in total, chewed through Warmaster easily. Decent book where the only criticism I had was the actual fighting towards the last half while I was jonesing hard for the more interesting developments behind the scenes..
Good to hear. I just got an Audible membership, and Warmaster was one of the first books I picked up. It’s been years since I read a Gaunt book, but I hope to catch up to events quickly.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

Good to hear. I just got an Audible membership, and Warmaster was one of the first books I picked up. It’s been years since I read a Gaunt book, but I hope to catch up to events quickly.

I had picked up Salvation's Reach again just before Warmaster, but didn't finish it all the way through before going on my trip, and the book doesn't really require a lot of remembering previous books. In typical Gaunt's Ghosts fashion, a lot of the stuff that brought the Ghosts where they are is talked about while building relationships / characters, so you're never really on your own.

Be advised, though, that the reader isn't really on the stellar level as Longworth or Keeble, so I'm assuming there might be stuff in there that's a bit grating, but I also guess it's probably different for you than it was for me.
What did me in was his voice of Yoncy. Dear lord, I wanted to drive my car off the road every time Yoncy used her high-pitched scared voice for anything.

His reading of the Tanith nursery rhyme "The King of the Knives" at the very opening of the book put me off a lot, and I wasn't quite sold on him, but he does an overall pretty decent job. The book is just cool all by itself.

Also, in other news relating to me being the densest human being on the planet, the Tanith were never scots in my head. I know people pointed it out before, and the other imagery and hints aren't subtle at all, I just never adopted a scottish accent for them in my head, so James Cameron Whatshisname's rendition of some of these characters with an absolutely brutal scottish accent caught me off guard.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I just ordered the second Gotrek and Felix omnibus as well as City of the Damned. Going to break protocol and read City of the damned first - Gotrek and Felix in Mordheim is a book written specifically for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MrFlibble posted:

I just ordered the second Gotrek and Felix omnibus as well as City of the Damned. Going to break protocol and read City of the damned first - Gotrek and Felix in Mordheim is a book written specifically for me.

Don't get your hopes up too much.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just noticed it isn't a weekend.

Taking a week off from work is a bitch :smug:

Alright, diving into Anarch with a beer on the balcony

/edit: barely eight pages in, and hooo-leee poo poo

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 25, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't get your hopes up too much.

Is it dramatically worse than Gotrek and Felix usually is? Because Trollslayer was fun and Skavenslayer was an improvement (it joined the short stories together in a more cohesive arc).

I read the AoS gotrek story and to be honest I wasn't impressed, but I think a large part of that is that I detest the age of sigmar.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well Old Earth achieved the impossible. It was a Nick Kyme Horus Heresy book that didn't make my eyes bleed. Actually fairly well written overall, but man oh man I've never read such boring space battles in my life.

Vulkan trolling around the webway and the Impossible City was great though. Eldrad was surprisingly fun and I'm super happy Meduson died, badly and stupidly. The reveal of the fulgerite at the end was a bit disappointing since I don't think they're ever going to literally blow up Terra - but hey they totally just set up the plot device to blow up Terra when the Golden Throne fails so that's kinda big

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tanith are an amalgamation of Welsh, Irish, Ulster and Scottish, so what may sound like a bad impersonation of one accent might just be an accurate impersonation of another accent.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MrFlibble posted:

Is it dramatically worse than Gotrek and Felix usually is? Because Trollslayer was fun and Skavenslayer was an improvement (it joined the short stories together in a more cohesive arc).

I read the AoS gotrek story and to be honest I wasn't impressed, but I think a large part of that is that I detest the age of sigmar.

Sorry, I was referring especifically to City of the Damned, I found it boring and with pacing problems. Also, if you are just starting with the Gotrek & Felix series, take into account that City of the Damned was written much later than the others (and by a different author). It's a standalone novel and does not continue the plot of a prior novel, though. I read it alongside Road of Skull, and I found the later a much more enjoyable experience. Of the standalone novels, the one I really reccomend is Serpent Queen, a really fun read, and with a very different tone compared with the final books of the series.

If I recall correctly, the first two omnibus are all the ones written by William King, right? They are mostly fine, some definetly better, like Skavenslayer (probably the strongest one of the early series, by far). After Vampireslayer, William King stops writing the series and different authors take over (mainly Nathan Long and David Guymer. The only one I advise to skip is Orcslayer.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Angry Lobster posted:

Sorry, I was referring especifically to City of the Damned, I found it boring and with pacing problems. Also, if you are just starting with the Gotrek & Felix series, take into account that City of the Damned was written much later than the others (and by a different author). It's a standalone novel and does not continue the plot of a prior novel, though. I read it alongside Road of Skull, and I found the later a much more enjoyable experience. Of the standalone novels, the one I really reccomend is Serpent Queen, a really fun read, and with a very different tone compared with the final books of the series.

If I recall correctly, the first two omnibus are all the ones written by William King, right? They are mostly fine, some definetly better, like Skavenslayer (probably the strongest one of the early series, by far). After Vampireslayer, William King stops writing the series and different authors take over (mainly Nathan Long and David Guymer. The only one I advise to skip is Orcslayer.

Thanks. I'm going to read them all eventually I expect, but its been my understanding that they're more adventure than a continuing narrative (aside from Slayer and Kinslayer which seem to be a conclusion to the warhammer stories) so my plan is to read city of the damned when it arrives and then finish my first omnibus.

And apparently they're sending me a copy of a black library celebration anthology, had no idea that was this weekend. That's neat.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 25, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm years out of date on my black library readings, is there anywhere with a big easy to read list of titles and one sentence summaries of the books? I'm out of the loop enough I can't even be certain about what I've already read since I mostly just borrow books from the library.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you're in the UK your local GW will have some. I went in to look for one today and they were asking if I wanted 'a few more' since they had quite a few left over to get rid of.

I took an extra so if you're desperate I will ship it to you at cost?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What did me in was his voice of Yoncy. Dear lord, I wanted to drive my car off the road every time Yoncy used her high-pitched scared voice for anything.
It’s my mission in life to find whichever voice director thought this was a good choice and throw them into the ocean. It’s the WORST.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sextro posted:

I'm years out of date on my black library readings, is there anywhere with a big easy to read list of titles and one sentence summaries of the books? I'm out of the loop enough I can't even be certain about what I've already read since I mostly just borrow books from the library.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Novels

Sorted by series and publication date.

Click on a title and you should get the cover page and description.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Z the IVth posted:

If you're in the UK your local GW will have some. I went in to look for one today and they were asking if I wanted 'a few more' since they had quite a few left over to get rid of.

I took an extra so if you're desperate I will ship it to you at cost?

Appreciate the offer, but decided to pull the trigger on a GW order I'd been thinking about anyways, they still had copies in stock.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Lords of Silence a sequel to Plague Wars? Vice versa?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Lords of Silence a sequel to Plague Wars? Vice versa?

No, standalone I think, and the scope is much smaller.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I say it every time it comes up. Lords of Silence is probably my favorite 40k book. It just nails the atmosphere soooo well. I never understood Nurgle, but after reading that book if I had to choose a chaos god to turn to it would be Nurgle.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I'm slowly working my way through the Gaunts Ghosts series and I'm about a third of the way through His Last Command. Is it wrong that I'm a little sad that the court marshal is just dropped right away and what Gaunt's group was up to for 2 years is just kinda glossed over? I was actually kinda hoping for more short stories with the court marshal as a framing device. Especially with the back-and-forth between Gaunt and the tribunal. Poking fun at an Inquisitors logic and winning takes balls.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Look how happy he is!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

A quarter of Anarch down, and while I guess I have to take into account that the book could only have ever been as good in my perception because it's sitting on a foundation comprised of like 15 previous books/stories that were amazing in themselves:

This book is so drat good

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Is there any word when Spears of the emperor will be readable for plebs?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

D-Pad posted:

I say it every time it comes up. Lords of Silence is probably my favorite 40k book. It just nails the atmosphere soooo well. I never understood Nurgle, but after reading that book if I had to choose a chaos god to turn to it would be Nurgle.

Wait a minute, you'd follow Mortarion, who betrayed Magnus at Nikaea? I question your choice of leader.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mortarions testimony at Nikaea was kind of.... uh whiny? for the lord of death.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Mortarion is a bitch. Nurgle is a barrel of laughs

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
I really liked the meeting of Mort in the Scars book just the Khan pointing out how he incredibly hosed up like a complete idiot

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Karneios posted:

I really liked the meeting of Mort in the Scars book just the Khan pointing out how he incredibly hosed up like a complete idiot

Yeah, the Khan really enjoys trolling.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

About 3/4ths of the way through The Buried Dagger and it is surprisingly good. It switches between Death Guard and the Knights Errant as the two main stories. The Death Guard sections alternate between the present and the past, telling the story of the Death Guard's fall to Nurgle and Mortarion's revolution on Barbarus. Unless the ending just absolutely shits the bed I would recommend this be added to the list of HH books you should read (if you don't read all of them like my fanboy rear end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked up Sacrosanct, the short story starter book for AoS and I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel like I'm bouncing off it pretty hard for some reason. Like I'm really into 40k, and I feel like in theory I should be down for what basically amounts to the same thing but with fantasy flavor, but I just can't bring myself to care about any of it.

If you sat me down and told me about these warriors who were plucked from the moment of their death and reforged into holy champions of their god, crazy mage-knights who lose a little bit of who they were every time they're pulled back from the clutches of death whenever they fall in battle, I'd be all about it. But in practice, the Stormcast and what I've seen of the other factions so far all just seem so bland to me.

While I'll read both genres I've always been more interested in sci-fi than fantasy(the last thing I read that was high fantasy like AoS was probably a random Dragonlance book 20 years ago in middle school.) So even though 40k is more fantasy-in-space than actual sci-fi maybe it's just the genre that I'm getting hung up on? I'll power through the rest of the stories in this and the two AoS shorts from the BL Celebration collection but I don't think any of it is going to stick with me.