Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:smugmrgw:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Now more than ever, the world needs a “gently caress off, Moo Cow” option.

Mods: end this madness, right this wrong!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
moo cow can stay, I just want the button

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

5g, here i come!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

$26, unlimited data, text, minutes inc. tethering
:scotland:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i like moo cow, but I like telling him to gently caress off even more

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Schadenboner posted:

Now more than ever, the world needs a “gently caress off, Moo Cow” option.

Mods: end this madness, right this wrong!

:mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

:shobon:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:kiddo:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:hfive:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hm. remember when we said “ban space kimchi” a whole lot and she left

and moose milkie felt bad after all the jokes :smith:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
mm was an alt of i forget who

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

mm was an alt of i forget who

and that man, was ,,,, president beep

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Silver Alicorn posted:

hm. remember when we said “ban space kimchi” a whole lot and she left

and moose milkie felt bad after all the jokes :smith:

yospos' legacy of cyber bullying is long and storied

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

OldAlias posted:

and that man, was ,,,, president beep

eh, better than that time schadenboner or whoever thought i was stymie...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

eh, better than that time schadenboner or whoever thought i was stymie...

I thought Brother Stymie was HP’s alt?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:ughh:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

4g is my 5g alt*

*where available

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Excuse me but I think you guys are forgetting a little thing called WiMAX?

:smuggo:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 23, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

part one of my very important mwc report

5g saves lives

i’m in hall five section g, coincidence? i think not. everyone is welcome to hit me up, just walk around and shout „yospos” and i’ll fish you out of the crowd.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mo g's mo problem's

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A miserable pile of packets

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i’ve got bad news

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i wonder how much thought was put into that particular tag line

it seems like maybe they didn't quite consider what they were saying there

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i choose to believe it went through a lengthy corporate approval process and at each step a bunch of yes man pushed it through because it was the ceo’s idea

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Endless Mike posted:

i won't be satisfied until there's a p nice 69 g's

nice

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

i’ve got bad news

ddees was right

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
who's this guy? (the programmer) link him in

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the best part about 5g is the insight into international trade and politics. as noted above, there are “5g ambulances”. in China there was the first “5g train station” (which i think makes sense if it means they have 5g service throughout the route. sometimes subways in particular have no data). there have also been “5g surgeries” where a doctor does remote surgery through robotics, but for some reason eschews wi-fi and uses 5g? it all seems like awkward marketing.

the next factor is how the US uses it’s power to benefit its own tech sector and damage China’s. the US was exposed as specifically using telecommunications infrastructure to broadly spy on other nations. they were caught red handed spying on their own citizens in the same way, and have damaged international relations by unapologetically spying on their own allies. after all this, they warn other nations to not use Huawei over spying concerns, despite any evidence. it would be funny if it wasn’t for the fact it’s been slightly effective. thankfully though, britain and germany just implied they may not ban Huawei.

every country has a city they’ve dubbed “silicon valley of [insert region here]”, of the netherlands, of east europe, of the north and so on. they can’t be seen as outdated by not having the latest tech. a handful of international companies compete to supply the infrastructure, with the US in particular threatening nations into banning the superior Chinese offering.

Trump being criticized for saying “6g” is actually kind of funny. here we are asking wtf 5g is. 6g is only slightly more elusive and useless than 5g, and we all know it’s inevitably coming because this is how the tech sector maintains itself. neither tech will have any effect on 99.999% of consumer use cases, but if telecoms don’t adopt them they’ll be luddites who won’t have a good excuse for raising phone bills.

Silver Alicorn posted:

mo g's mo problem's

i appreciate you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wifi is way worse than even ye olde 4G (well, at some reasonable cat) though, so that makes sense

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

mo g's mo problem's

well gently caress

https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-6

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

part one of my very important mwc report

5g saves lives

i’m in hall five section g, coincidence? i think not. everyone is welcome to hit me up, just walk around and shout „yospos” and i’ll fish you out of the crowd.

also missed this earlier, looks like they are going all in with 5g even though there doesn't seem to be much demand over 4g

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

hopefully at some point, they'll switch to 4n3w or some other acronym rather than just adding another g

coke
Jul 12, 2009

quote:

China Mobile's 5G booth at an exhibit in Guangzhou, capital of South China's Guangdong Province in November 2017 Photo: VCG

China Unicom Beijing Tuesday announced the launch of 5G coverage for Tiananmen Square, ahead of the upcoming two sessions, annual meetings of the national legislature and the top political advisory body.

According to the Beijing government's official website, the base stations will provide high-speed internet service to China Media Group's HD livestreaming coverage of the National People's Congress and the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, which will be held in early March.
lol @ the photo

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*in an italian voice* what da gently caress is a five jeese louis its hot in here ma

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

5g, here i come!

do you go to mwca per chance? i'll probably go again this year

anyways i think the actual big thing for "5g" is that connections should be much more reliable. the changes on the network side with femto cells everywhere and massive mimo will make it harder to overload networks. on the handset side carrier aggregation should make current bandwidth more reliable and allow better connections when in motion (hence the "5g ambulances" and "5g autonomous cars" things despite cars and ambulances being able to send telemetry since the 90s).
the funny thing is that this is all still LTE, hence AT&T's marketing for their EPC/5GC setup

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 3, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so not fundamentally different to lte, but we’ve improved things, and need a marketing term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
iphone 5g