Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ubiquitous_ posted:

100% accurate imo

Same

Re: why would anyone choose this and also re: freepers loving suck, me and a good high school friend basically came out at the same time about a decade ago because a group of us were getting high and the discussion turned to then-LGBT rights. Our straight friend was like “why the gently caress would anyone choose to be hated” and it went from there.

As much as I’ll vouch for five-way all-guy street hookups, asking “why the gently caress would yoy choose to be gay if being straight would make you equally happy?” is a question that no homophobe I’ve met can answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I used to know some gay dudes who would mess with people doing the whole "it's a choice" thing by just asking "so when did you choose to be straight?"

They were very funny people and I hung out with them until they moved away.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Minenfeld! posted:

Both of my parents subscribe to the "choice" view of homosexuality and when I asked them why you'd choose to do something that is going to get you persecuted, their response was that all the gay men or women they know had a bad and abusive childhood which caused it. It's an interesting hybrid rationalization.

My parents are borderline freeper types these days and I am actually surprised that they accepted my gay sister. Every other issue from this genre they are conservative christian assholes about, "the blacks", mexicans, lazy poors, what a great guy Trump is, but they are ok with the gays and that is their one redeeming quality.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I used to know some gay dudes who would mess with people doing the whole "it's a choice" thing by just asking "so when did you choose to be straight?"
That's the default option though, not because it's 'normal', but because heteronormative society indoctrinates everyone towards being straight before they're even capable of making a choice.

It's pretty :ironicat: that that's what freeper types accuse "the gay agenda" of doing, when I can see examples of straights doing it so much that it saturates society outside of queer spaces.

I bet in a binormative society you'd see a whole lot of bi people with minority groups of exclusively monosexual gay and straight people. We're already seeing that with some surveys of Gen-Ys saying that a majority don't identify as exclusively gay or straight, and that's just from society no longer being quite as openly lovely to gay and bi people, not from society being anywhere near outright binormative.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

Both of my parents subscribe to the "choice" view of homosexuality and when I asked them why you'd choose to do something that is going to get you persecuted, their response was that all the gay men or women they know had a bad and abusive childhood which caused it. It's an interesting hybrid rationalization.

Same conservative logic for why people do crimes or are atheists: they make the bad choice because they are morally weak and therefore deserve to be destroyed by the strong. I guess it's not really a surprise.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There's also the whole "god made us all straight and the bible (they've never read) says so" thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Meanwhile in reform judaism, where we only use the bible parts where god is a petty tyrant, and read it every week at minimum, the accepted biblical precedent is:

Being LGBTQ and not living the way you want is about as dumb as a starving man refusing to eat shellfish: god wants you to live, happily, and he’ll loving understand

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It really baffles me how sex negative Christianity became given how sex positive Judaism is.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Virgin birth, remember?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Minenfeld! posted:

LOL.

Why would you choose to do something that not only will get you persecuted, but it also according to their theory is something no one naturally is interested in and it in fact naturally disgusts rather than excites them? Ask your dad if he ever could just "choose" to have sex with another man, and if not, why not?

That was the argument that finally convinced my mother that it can't be just a "choice" a couple of decades ago. But she was actually discussing the issue in good faith and overcoming a sheltered Catholic background. I understand that this usually is not the case, and most parents won't listen. But drat, the choice argument is so loving dumb.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It really baffles me how sex negative Christianity became given how sex positive Judaism is.

Isn't that mostly Paul's fault?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's mostly a nonsense talking point.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A certain interpretation puts Ghomorroa and Sodom for being destroyed via sexual and other deviancy. Others read it as a complete betrayal of guest manners being cause of smiting the city and I'm sure you can tell which is a more popular interpretation among conservative Christians now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ezekiel 16:49 says which of the two it was.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
And also, keep in mind that Freepers and a lot of Evangelicals would bring back sodomy laws in a heartbeat if they could. It's why they got all antsy about the Trump administration saying they would campaign for homosexuality to be legalized world-wide last week. Gayness being a choice is kind of necessary for it to be punished as a crime.

ChaseSP posted:

A certain interpretation puts Ghomorroa and Sodom for being destroyed via sexual and other deviancy. Others read it as a complete betrayal of guest manners being cause of smiting the city and I'm sure you can tell which is a more popular interpretation among conservative Christians now.

I've read that there are apocryphal texts that tell about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, but it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with homosexuality. God destroyed the place because they were essentially all a bunch of rules lawyers, who abused laws to steal as much money as they could from anyone just passing through. It just so happens that the version of the story that found its way into the Jewish canon, and then later the Bible, can be read as a literal "they wanna gently caress those angels" scenario rather than that being a metaphor.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm aware of this, but when mentioned it's the most popular reading, mostly from people who haven't read the bible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yep. He was an incredibly goony dude who didn't think you should be having sex at all and you should be a monk.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pretty much all of Christianity is Paul's fault.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

predicto posted:

LOL.

Why would you choose to do something that not only will get you persecuted, but it also according to their theory is something no one naturally is interested in and it in fact naturally disgusts rather than excites them? Ask your dad if he ever could just "choose" to have sex with another man, and if not, why not?

That was the argument that finally convinced my mother that it can't be just a "choice" a couple of decades ago. But she was actually discussing the issue in good faith and overcoming a sheltered Catholic background. I understand that this usually is not the case, and most parents won't listen. But drat, the choice argument is so loving dumb.

According to Freepers everyone believes in god but gay people are either rebelling against god to cause trouble for whatever reasons or they're possessed by satan.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Cythereal posted:

Yep. He was an incredibly goony dude who didn't think you should be having sex at all and you should be a monk.

I don't think that's true. Jesus made some rather anti-family and anti-fornication remarks, Paul thought it better to marry than burn, even if not marrying at all was best. All the apostles apparently thought 'sexual immorality' and eating blood unacceptable for Christians. Asceticism was a contemporary phenomenon, eg in the Essenes. Gnostic and Manichean ideas about the world would arguably make Christianity more anti-sex later.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
49 ‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

For anyone who doesn’t know what Ezekiel 49-50 says. But of course somehow “sodomy” means people kissing and not bankers loving

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

predicto posted:

LOL.

I fully believe that most people are far more fluid in sexuality than that would imply, and the reason why ~95% of people used to identify as straight is exactly that, because it's easier; anything else will get you persecuted, and people will be disgusted because they've been conditioned to be disgusted. They're in effect choosing to be straight, only it isn't a free choice, it's a socially pressured one.

That's why you see vastly greater percentages of Gen-Y/Gen-Z identifying as neither gay nor straight, and that's just from taking some of the pressure off, not from actively promoting "the gay lifestyle" as freep seems to think.

And that disgust, that's entirely social, nothing natural about it. It's the same disgust that Freepers' dads felt about miscegenation. It can be changed.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Guavanaut posted:

I fully believe that most people are far more fluid in sexuality than that would imply, and the reason why ~95% of people used to identify as straight is exactly that, because it's easier; anything else will get you persecuted, and people will be disgusted because they've been conditioned to be disgusted. They're in effect choosing to be straight, only it isn't a free choice, it's a socially pressured one.

That's why you see vastly greater percentages of Gen-Y/Gen-Z identifying as neither gay nor straight, and that's just from taking some of the pressure off, not from actively promoting "the gay lifestyle" as freep seems to think.

And that disgust, that's entirely social, nothing natural about it. It's the same disgust that Freepers' dads felt about miscegenation. It can be changed.

Oh of course all that is true.

I was focusing on what the conservatives believe to be true, and how it makes their whole “choice” argument even more internally inconsistent (if you can get them to listen, which I acknowledge is usually impossible )

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oh dear me posted:

I don't think that's true. Jesus made some rather anti-family and anti-fornication remarks, Paul thought it better to marry than burn, even if not marrying at all was best. All the apostles apparently thought 'sexual immorality' and eating blood unacceptable for Christians. Asceticism was a contemporary phenomenon, eg in the Essenes. Gnostic and Manichean ideas about the world would arguably make Christianity more anti-sex later.

Yeah, what they taught was anything that distracts from service to God is bad. They made some practical exceptions and sex was one of them. Sex is, you know, how you get more people and you kind of need to keep getting more people to replace the ones that die so sex isn't inherently bad in and of itself. What is bad is lust which is indulging in it too much. This is why lust is a deadly sin; if the only thing you give a poo poo about is pleasures of the flesh that distracts you from service to God. While the ideal was to never get married and never gently caress the realization is that that just isn't a practical possibility not just for reproductive reasons but because the drive to gently caress is pretty much as strong as the drive to eat. While you won't not have sex to death like you can starve to death most people can't go totally celibate. That's why it was totally fine to get married and gently caress a lot and even enjoy it along the way but if you started sleeping around that was getting into lustful territory. I think it was Paul who also said that if you get married you shouldn't turn your spouse down ever if they want to gently caress. Part of the agreement was that you'd satisfy each other sexually in a Christian marriage so if your spouse is horny but you're not really feeling it right now then do something for them anyway. That also wasn't gender-specific; he said that poo poo goes both ways.

A big focus though was on sex being primarily for procreation. Obviously you need people to be loving if you want to keep having people. It isn't gayness in and of itself that is considered bad but rather that indulging in gay sex is about pleasure and nothing else. Gay sex can't produce children so it is purely indulging in pleasures of the flesh which Christianity discourages. Of course Jesus taught that we're all sinners anyway so if you do do that sort of thing then the right thing to do is to apologize to God for sinning and try not to do it again even though you probably will. It isn't like one homosexual act sends you to Hell forever by default but rather that indulging in sexual pleasures for their own sake is indulging in lustful behavior which distracts you from what really matters. Last I heard the Catholic view is that being gay isn't wrong but if you're gay you should be celibate as sex is primarily for reproduction. Even in the context of marriage and procreation certain sex acts are considered bad for similar reasons as is having sex too much.

What evangelicals did was take that to an extreme view that being gay is in and of itself terrible and that God will punish even tolerating it. The story of Soddom and Ghomorroa is where they get that justification even though like was said the crime there was that the people of Soddom and Ghomorroa were just huge dicks all around. For sexual things it wasn't gay stuff specifically but the fact that the lustfully indulged in every single pleasure of the flesh they could find. When the angels showed up the people there demanded they come out to get hosed because nobody there had hosed an angel before so hell yeah let's gently caress the angels! Evangelicals pretty much just laser focused on gayness for whatever reason.

The original teaching was basically asceticism; the ideal was that you would live as simply as possible and indulge in as few pleasures as possible so you could maximize your service to God. There was absolutely no way you'd ever be perfect about it so what Jesus taught was that you should do the absolute best you can and then apologize when you inevitably gently caress up along the way. Once again evangelicals hosed things up by setting a minimum bar that in some denominations just kept getting higher and higher. This is why you get congregations of like 20 people meeting in a garage that believe that absolutely everybody else is going to Hell.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 26, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Heaven sounds like hell if these people would be there so I'd be down for that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, what they taught was anything that distracts from service to God is bad. They made some practical exceptions and sex was one of them. Sex is, you know, how you get more people and you kind of need to keep getting more people to replace the ones that die so sex isn't inherently bad in and of itself. What is bad is lust which is indulging in it too much. This is why lust is a deadly sin; if the only thing you give a poo poo about is pleasures of the flesh that distracts you from service to God. While the ideal was to never get married and never gently caress the realization is that that just isn't a practical possibility not just for reproductive reasons but because the drive to gently caress is pretty much as strong as the drive to eat. While you won't not have sex to death like you can starve to death most people can't go totally celibate. That's why it was totally fine to get married and gently caress a lot and even enjoy it along the way but if you started sleeping around that was getting into lustful territory. I think it was Paul who also said that if you get married you shouldn't turn your spouse down ever if they want to gently caress. Part of the agreement was that you'd satisfy each other sexually in a Christian marriage so if your spouse is horny but you're not really feeling it right now then do something for them anyway. That also wasn't gender-specific; he said that poo poo goes both ways.

A big focus though was on sex being primarily for procreation. Obviously you need people to be loving if you want to keep having people. It isn't gayness in and of itself that is considered bad but rather that indulging in gay sex is about pleasure and nothing else. Gay sex can't produce children so it is purely indulging in pleasures of the flesh which Christianity discourages. Of course Jesus taught that we're all sinners anyway so if you do do that sort of thing then the right thing to do is to apologize to God for sinning and try not to do it again even though you probably will. It isn't like one homosexual act sends you to Hell forever by default but rather that indulging in sexual pleasures for their own sake is indulging in lustful behavior which distracts you from what really matters. Last I heard the Catholic view is that being gay isn't wrong but if you're gay you should be celibate as sex is primarily for reproduction. Even in the context of marriage and procreation certain sex acts are considered bad for similar reasons as is having sex too much.

What evangelicals did was take that to an extreme view that being gay is in and of itself terrible and that God will punish even tolerating it. The story of Soddom and Ghomorroa is where they get that justification even though like was said the crime there was that the people of Soddom and Ghomorroa were just huge dicks all around. For sexual things it wasn't gay stuff specifically but the fact that the lustfully indulged in every single pleasure of the flesh they could find. When the angels showed up the people there demanded they come out to get hosed because nobody there had hosed an angel before so hell yeah let's gently caress the angels! Evangelicals pretty much just laser focused on gayness for whatever reason.

The original teaching was basically asceticism; the ideal was that you would live as simply as possible and indulge in as few pleasures as possible so you could maximize your service to God. There was absolutely no way you'd ever be perfect about it so what Jesus taught was that you should do the absolute best you can and then apologize when you inevitably gently caress up along the way. Once again evangelicals hosed things up by setting a minimum bar that in some denominations just kept getting higher and higher. This is why you get congregations of like 20 people meeting in a garage that believe that absolutely everybody else is going to Hell.

I think too that part of the issue with Sodom and Gomorrah and the angels is that, as travelers, they were customarily to be treated with a certain standard of hospitality which they were not (and just in general that the inhabitants were super poo poo to people who were passing through who they were supposed to treat well).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Feinne posted:

I think too that part of the issue with Sodom and Gomorrah and the angels is that, as travelers, they were customarily to be treated with a certain standard of hospitality which they were not (and just in general that the inhabitants were super poo poo to people who were passing through who they were supposed to treat well).

The simplest way to put it is that Soddom and Gomorrah were destroyed not for any particular action (the story starts with God saying "what the gently caress is this poo poo, I'ma blow it the gently caress up, someone get Lot and his kids out of there, they're the only people worth a drat"), but because they were the type of people who, upon learning that their neighbor had guests over, decided to surround his house and demand he let them rape his guests.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Keeshhound posted:

The simplest way to put it is that Soddom and Gomorrah were destroyed not for any particular action (the story starts with God saying "what the gently caress is this poo poo, I'ma blow it the gently caress up, someone get Lot and his kids out of there, they're the only people worth a drat"), but because they were the type of people who, upon learning that their neighbor had guests over, decided to surround his house and demand he let them rape his guests.

So 3/4ths of the GOP then.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I assume that last quarter is just hung up on the fact that the angels were men, right?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Keeshhound posted:

Yes, Lot was so great he offered to let the mob rape his daughters instead but they weren't having it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course Jesus taught that we're all sinners anyway so if you do do that sort of thing then the right thing to do is to apologize to God for sinning and try not to do it again even though you probably will. It isn't like one homosexual act sends you to Hell forever by default but rather that indulging in sexual pleasures for their own sake is indulging in lustful behavior which distracts you from what really matters.

This sounds dangerously tolerant and decent. And look how many words it took you to explain. There's nuance there. GAY BAD is way easier.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Georgia Peach posted:

Yes, Lot was so great he offered to let the mob rape his daughters instead but they weren't having it.

Jokes on him though as his daughters raped him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

This sounds dangerously tolerant and decent. And look how many words it took you to explain. There's nuance there. GAY BAD is way easier.

Yeah, what Jesus actually taught is very far from the way evangelicals behave.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

49 ‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

While that's true, there's also this verse which conservative Christians will fall back on.

"Likewise, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which, in the same manner as they, indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural lust,[h] serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire." - Jude 7

The footnote there notes that the original is more accurately translated "went after other flesh," and the KJV translates it as "going after strange flesh." What this really means is a subject of debate from what I understand; some people think it means them wanting to have sex with angels (although the people of Sodom and Gomorrah didn't know the guests were angels). But other translations like the NRSV here translate it as sexual immorality, and the NIV also adds the word "perversion." Given that, they usually interpret Jude 7 to mean "gay sex" and use this verse to defend their belief that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of homosexuality.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Twelve by Pies posted:

While that's true, there's also this verse which conservative Christians will fall back on.

"Likewise, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which, in the same manner as they, indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural lust,[h] serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire." - Jude 7

The footnote there notes that the original is more accurately translated "went after other flesh," and the KJV translates it as "going after strange flesh." What this really means is a subject of debate from what I understand; some people think it means them wanting to have sex with angels (although the people of Sodom and Gomorrah didn't know the guests were angels). But other translations like the NRSV here translate it as sexual immorality, and the NIV also adds the word "perversion." Given that, they usually interpret Jude 7 to mean "gay sex" and use this verse to defend their belief that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of homosexuality.

My first thought is that Ezekiel is in the Bible proper and Jude is in the Bible Fanfic canon, but obviously christians wouldn’t go for that.

Something I learned around the time this line of doscussion got started is that apparently catholic priests weren’t forbidden to marry or gently caress until the 11th or 12th centuries. It’s interesting how puritanical some branches of christianity have become, because liberal christians and muslims I know tend to agree with the basic jewish stuff as I learned it. Stuff like “God made loving fun for a reason. Enjoy what he gave you.” We have fast days, but they are accompanied by feasts. We drink, just not enough to hurt ourselves or others. We gently caress, even rabbis. We are allowed to gorge on pork and shrimp if we’ve just been saved from starving. God made you enjoy food for a reason.

I don’t believe in a literal god who cares what I do but I still feel a mental grounding in trying to be jewish, that I think would help freep types who think god is looking for any excuse to torture them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

There are interpretations that they were basically loving anything a dick would fit in while trying to expand that definition as far as possible. I've seen people saying that meant a lot of bestiality and pedophilia. If you go by that interpretation the gay shenanigans weren't the problem at all but rather the fact that they were lustfully loving absolutely everything all the time. Even then the sin wasn't any specific act but lust in and of itself. Incidentally the modern definition of lust doesn't match the historical one used to define the sins way back when; lust didn't just apply to sex. A lot of the original meaning got lost in translation. It's very important to remember that the KJV isn't even one specific version and is also like seven languages removed from the original Hebrew.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My first thought is that Ezekiel is in the Bible proper and Jude is in the Bible Fanfic canon, but obviously christians wouldn’t go for that.

Something I learned around the time this line of doscussion got started is that apparently catholic priests weren’t forbidden to marry or gently caress until the 11th or 12th centuries. It’s interesting how puritanical some branches of christianity have become, because liberal christians and muslims I know tend to agree with the basic jewish stuff as I learned it. Stuff like “God made loving fun for a reason. Enjoy what he gave you.” We have fast days, but they are accompanied by feasts. We drink, just not enough to hurt ourselves or others. We gently caress, even rabbis. We are allowed to gorge on pork and shrimp if we’ve just been saved from starving. God made you enjoy food for a reason.

I don’t believe in a literal god who cares what I do but I still feel a mental grounding in trying to be jewish, that I think would help freep types who think god is looking for any excuse to torture them.

I think some of that was that Catholic priests were always supposed to be celibate but it was never made a hard and fast rule until that point. Like they weren't supposed to own property or have titles either but the various popes just didn't give a crap. When really immoral priests started showing up or half assing tending their congregations a pope said "knock this poo poo right the gently caress off."

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm at work so only can only phone post but this thread is peak freep.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3731124/posts

They are basically calling for conservative jihad.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

Since Democrats can't win the argument with reason and facts, they try to intimidate us into silence.

:ironicat:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plinkey posted:

Let's see here....

quote:

To: RoosterRedux
“civil war”?

No, the Communist REVOLUTION that they have been calling for over half a century.

And the same Commies were throwing bombs, staging riots, and killing cops 50 years ago. Hello Bill Ayers, hello Black Panthers. Hello NOW.

2 posted on 2/28/2019, 5:49:32 AM by a fool in paradise (Denounce DUAC - The Democrats Un-American Activists Committee)

quote:

Not like the 19th century one. Impossible.
There are not distinct, geographically defined sections of the country that would raise standing armies and adhere (mostly) to the laws of armed conflict as there was in 1860.

What we have today is a mismatch where the "enemy" is everywhere: in every state, in every county, in every city, in every town.

Moreover, the Left will never fight an open war on a battlefield. They don't have the guts.

Our nation will most likely be taken down financially, through submission to the global powers. Our unbelievable debt to the global banks, combined with a collapse of our fiat currency, will bring the US to our knees. Then, we will submit to the New World Order.

Sound like a conspiracy? It's actually their battle plan, and they probably have a time-line.

3 posted on 2/28/2019, 5:51:24 AM by SkyPilot ("I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6)

"The left is trying to start a civil war. Therefore, we must secede and form a new nation! A confederacy, if you will!"

quote:

We cannot coexist.

We must split the nation and go our separate ways.

Socialists will never stop trying to destroy our constitutional capitalistic nation.

It is time they go elsewhere. Let’s split the land and they can create their utopian society.

We want to live with individual liberty, not collectivism.

6 posted on 2/28/2019, 5:54:58 AM by Erik Latranyi (The Democratic Party is now a hate-mob)

Wait, so does the left want a civil war or do we want to cause a civil war with the left?

quote:

To: a fool in paradise; SkyPilot
A communist revolution is still a "civil war" when it consists of one part of the country at war with the rest.
No one is saying that this civil war will have anything in common with the last one. But what is increasingly obvious is this: the can be no compromise made with the Left.

The Left doesn't want compromise. The Left WILL NOT ACCEPT compromise.

It wants the overthrow of the Constitution and the death of those Americans loyal to it.

quote:

To: Eaker; Jack Black; archy; DuncanWaring; Travis McGee; Absolutely Nobama; afnamvet; AK2KX; ...

About the CWII Ping List

The CWII Ping List is short for Civil War II. It is NOT a list of people advocating another Civil War in America. It is a list of people who are interested in the parallels between the Civil War (or War Between the States, if you prefer) and our current situation, or more generally are noting the references to a 'coming Civil War' that are made in the press.

Of course sometimes this is merely a figure of speech, such as "The Tea Parties are fighting a civil war for the heart of the GOP". This would not merit a CWII ping.

On the other hand someone saying something like "The events in California are reminiscent of what happened in Yugoslavia in the period proceeding the Civil War" would merit a ping.

FR rules do not permit advocating for the overthrow of the Republic, and I am not aware of anyone doing so on the list. Still many do see that as the political climate worsens we may be heading in a direction that makes such a conflict all but inevitable, particularly if other avenues for resolving our differences are taken away. Such as widespread vote fraud by leftists making elections meaningless, or a small cadre of judges over-ruling all attempts to end destructive policies over the clear will of the people.

The correct keyword tag for the Civil War II ping list is "CWII". Please Freep Mail me to get on the list

20 posted on 2/28/2019, 6:26:02 AM by DuncanWaring (The Lord uses the good ones; the bad ones use the Lord.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Plinkey posted:

...right after "Dancing With The Stars" is over, of course.

I don't take these shitlords seriously; if they actually cared about this, they wouldn't disavow every right-wing terrorist action as a false-flag operation.