Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have to wonder what the correct response to Russia is for or next president.

I mean, clearly a more aggressive stance needs to be taken. Trump is, if not a literal Russian asset, essentially one. Putin’s dick is too big and he needs a public defeat.

Do we take Crimea back for Ukraine? Do we just rebuild to a cold war level military presence? Extreme sanctions?

Extreme sanctions, get his balls in a vice and don’t stop until Russia collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1100089565338050560

We’re going to start another war, yaaaaay

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Or that viral video where the guy is talking to the news on location from his home office and his kids wander in.

"Tonight, on 'Congressional Capers', watch as 10 different Tea Party Congressmen accidentally vote for the Green New Deal because they went AFK and their cats walked across their keyboards!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Your Taint posted:

Yeah, you think that's the only reason that someone would want to kill a member of Congress? Is AOC a war monger? Her name was on the hitlist of a domestic terrorist.

You might have noticed that political assassinations in the US are exceedingly rare and aren't generally perpetrated by the brightest minds. Public housing for public officials likely wouldn't change this in any meaningful way because you'd still have poo poo like that Coastie who probably got themselves on a watchlist years ago googling "where do the democrats live?" and "how to get to congressional housing"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The people going "Trump is right not to rise to Putin's bait," should really consider the fact that Putin is baiting because he knows nothing will be done about it, if not that he'll shortly be getting praise regardless of it. He was never this brazen with Obama. Russia may be a complete paper tiger, but the fact that Putin can pretend otherwise in the fashion he is DOES have geopolitical consequences. Voters who fear Russia in Europe and the US could be more willing to empower their patsies and apologists instead of people who might be willing to actually check their aggression, as one easy example.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I mean, clearly a more aggressive stance needs to be taken. Trump is, if not a literal Russian asset, essentially one. Putin’s dick is too big and he needs a public defeat.

Do we take Crimea back for Ukraine? Do we just rebuild to a cold war level military presence? Extreme sanctions?

Holy poo poo, no, these are terrible ideas.:psyduck: Waging war on Russia over Crimea would result in a huge loss of life for Ukrainians. Cold War-level military presence will further ensure that we have another massive slew of arms races (we're already on that road with the US pulling out of the INF Treaty). Sanctions are a good idea, sure, but only on the ruling class. Making the poor of Russia suffer is only going to get them to cling to their government all the more tightly. The world doesn't need to hand Putin a "public defeat." Russia is withering away economically, militarily, and societally. Putin wins when the U.S. does big, stupid, self-defeating things that allow him to say, "Hey, look at me! I'm the bulwark against Western aggression!"

Sanguinia posted:

The people going "Trump is right not to rise to Putin's bait," should really consider the fact that Putin is baiting because he knows nothing will be done about it, if not that he'll shortly be getting praise regardless of it.

Putin wants to start a new arms race with the U.S. because he directly benefits from it, both politically and financially.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2019

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If we go to war with Venezuela I will 100 percent take off work and go protest in D.C.

I was part of an illegitimate war and the thought of another generation doing the same is... not a good one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Find all the assets oligarchs have parked in the US and seize them, then erect a financial firewall to stop it happening again. You can do business with Russia *or* the US, pick one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Cheering for an unstable country with massive stockpiles of nuclear weapons to collapse in the USPOL thread, like a normal human being.

Jesus Christ some of you let the mask slip at the slightest provocation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

I really hate that we're making the stopped clock morons correct here.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Well considering that Russia is putting in this much effort to destabilize democracy in direct response to the specific oligarch-targeted sanctions the Magnitsky Act imposed, I’d say further tightening the vise on oligarch money is the way to go.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

And just this morning I skimmed through another article praising Boomer Trash Pol Feinstein for telling some children to get hosed because addressing climate change isn’t “politically viable”

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

DrNutt posted:

Cheering for an unstable country with massive stockpiles of nuclear weapons to collapse in the USPOL thread, like a normal human being.

Jesus Christ some of you let the mask slip at the slightest provocation.

I just want to be sure, are you talking about the US or Russia here?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/citypages/status/1100059385030684673
https://mobile.twitter.com/kevinfeatherly/status/1099744030588571648

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Extreme sanctions, get his balls in a vice and don’t stop until Russia collapses.

I can think of no possible downsides of employing economic warfare to cause a proto-fascist society to collapse, especially one that possesses a massive nuclear arsenal.

Jesus, just because Trump is a mindless sycophant doesn't mean the right way to deal with russia is psychotic brinksmanship.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

He was never this brazen with Obama.

Except when he annexed Crimea. And before that South Ossetia and Abkhazia during Bush's administration.

He's been pretty drat brazen for a while now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, this is also just not true. US representatives are constitutionally required to be residents of their state, but they don’t have to live in their district, and the federal courts have struck down states’ attempts to add that condition.

it's a great attack ad tho

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mozi posted:

I really hate that we're making the stopped clock morons correct here.

i hope you're not referring to the anti-war movement in this country as "stopped clock morons"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Aren't they supposed to start drumming up a reason we actually need to go to war? Like some way that they might be a threat to us?

Obviously whatever happens Trump will just say "I didn't need to do this, we're just there to take the oil". But Cheney must be kicking himself.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chilichimp posted:

it's a great attack ad tho

yeah it was something that AOC used to bounce Crowley

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You know what, I'll take it a step further. Less hostile relations with Russia and North Korea is one of the few good things that Trump has done, even if he only did it because his brain is literally fluid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

russia has a smaller economy than california. it's a minor power at best and only gets any respect due to one thing. wonder why north korea is trying to get that thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

A big flaming stink posted:

You know what, I'll take it a step further. Less hostile relations with Russia and North Korea is one of the few good things that Trump has done, even if he only did it because his brain is literally fluid.

Pretty sure most of Eastern Europe isn’t too happy with Trump bending over backwards to please Russia because they like existing. But you do you.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Yes it's much better to have the most powerful man in the world literally working on behalf of Russia.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mr. Putin, I've come here today to make you an offer. [balls up fist, sticks thumb out] I've got your nose and if you don't return Crimea you'll never get it back.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretty sure most of Eastern Europe isn’t too happy with Trump bending over backwards to please Russia because they like existing. But you do you.

Most of Eastern Europe is not pleased about Trump for a lot of reasons. A whole lot of Eastern European people will also literally stop existing in the event of a warm war, even if it scratches your need to "do something". But you do you.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I can think of no possible downsides of employing economic warfare to cause a proto-fascist society to collapse, especially one that possesses a massive nuclear arsenal.

Jesus, just because Trump is a mindless sycophant doesn't mean the right way to deal with russia is psychotic brinksmanship.

Yeah, punish the oligarchs. Make it so they can't leave Russia without losing their freedom or money.

Do as much as possible to aid the people of Russia via legitimate means.

How would people feel about a visa program for LBTQ people that want to get out of Russia, or just for people in general?

I also think there needs to be a UN body that can implement sanctions on countries that are abusing the internet. Not sure how it would work, but something needs to be done to at least slow down the Cyber attack capabilities of countries.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don’t hear you suggesting anything. How should we deal with them then?

cochise posted:

Except when he annexed Crimea. And before that South Ossetia and Abkhazia during Bush's administration.

Yeah. His aggression started with Obama who I think was war-shy after the Iraq debacle. We should have gone to war over Crimea.

Putin has just gotten ballsier over time because no one has stepped up to slap him down. It certainly isn’t going to come for Europe, a region renown for its military might post-WW2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I just want to be sure, are you talking about the US or Russia here?

:shrug:

In context I was talking about Russia and this particularly gross post:

TheKingofSprings posted:

But uh, I also don't really want to see the US collapse in my lifetime either.

AmiYumi posted:

Well considering that Russia is putting in this much effort to destabilize democracy in direct response to the specific oligarch-targeted sanctions the Magnitsky Act imposed, I’d say further tightening the vise on oligarch money is the way to go.

I mean sure yeah, but why are we singling out nefarious Russian oligarchs when good old fashioned US oligarchs are just as wealthy and similarly bad actors who are doing everything they ensure that they have unending political dominance in the US?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Like, I'm not going to dispute that Putin is a monster, but what the hell do you guys want to do about it? Shock therapy part 2? That's literally how we got Putin in the first place!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Aren't they supposed to start drumming up a reason we actually need to go to war? Like some way that they might be a threat to us?

Obviously whatever happens Trump will just say "I didn't need to do this, we're just there to take the oil". But Cheney must be kicking himself.

They’re getting lazy: the justification is a ‘aid’ truck fire caused by a US coup supporter tossing a Molotov cocktail into it. There’s video of it all over the place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cochise posted:

There's been more push back against Russia during Trump's administration compared with the last two. However, Trump seems unwilling to do anything that impacts Putin specifically. Like we kill a few hundred Russian mercs and bomb their ally, but we also congratulate Putin on his re-election and parrot his talking points on Russian interference with Western elections. If you separate Russia from it's leader it becomes really clear Trump is avoiding anything that impacts Vladimir directly.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
That seems like an awful lot of effort to go through to hurt someone. If only there was some portable device you could use to really demonstrate to someone how unhappy you were with their political opinions with a point-and-click interface.

Ban all guns and send owners to re-education camps until we're sure they're no longer a danger to others.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's never smart to presume that Trump will lose any amount of supporters for anything that he does, but didn't a lot of people gravitate towards his America first bullshit? Like, "let's stop paying for foreign wars and MAGA!"

I know, I know, it was actually racism, but I guess I'm just curious how they will bend over backwards to defend a war with Venezuela after pretending to want to go back to being an isolationist nation.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Groovelord Neato posted:

russia has a smaller economy than california. it's a minor power at best and only gets any respect due to one thing. wonder why north korea is trying to get that thing.

Russia's military is no joke even without nukes. They are also investing heavily in controlling the Arctic, as global warming is opening up vast amounts of areas with precious resources, plus the Arctic Passage which allows shipping directly from China to Europe without going through Suez.

e: I'm Norwegian and grew up 4 hours drive from the Russian border. They are already routinely jamming GPS in the region, and blatantly practicing bombing run in Norwegian airspace. If they decide to invade, there's not a loving thing anyone can do to stop them.

source: https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/security/2019/02/11-russian-fighter-jets-made-mock-attack-norwegian-arctic-radar

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 25, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

because the intelligence of the GOP has degraded a loving ton since W. a bunch of them probably want a war and with maduros lovely actions would probaly be able to swing it but they don't have the military for it(we are stretched already) plus i doubt the pentagon wants to commit to more poo poo right now.

there is a massive difference between deescaltation and doing what trump is doing. trump is bending over backwards for russia and now he is doing it for North Korea because he legit loved hard power dictators.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I mean sure yeah, but why are we singling out nefarious Russian oligarchs when good old fashioned US oligarchs are just as wealthy and similarly bad actors who are doing everything they ensure that they have unending political dominance in the US?

Tbf I think the reason why Russian oligarchs are being singled out in this specific discussion is because of Putin's inflammatory comments about nuclear war today. That said, yes, Russia's and the U.S.' oligarchs have the same objectives in all of this. They want an arms race because they will make a shitton of money off of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1100079626603368449

its basicaly what people were guessing yesterday.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

It's a mask of less hostile relations. They've increased action against Europe and the US greater because of Trump. Last year US and Russian forces got into a literal shooting match with each other. That's clearly not less hostility.

Like, I'm not going to dispute that Putin is a monster, but what the hell do you guys want to do about it? Shock therapy part 2? That's literally how we got Putin in the first place!

Balls in a vice aka the Magnitsky Act. It works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cochise posted:

It's a mask of less hostile relations. They've increased action against Europe and the US greater because of Trump. Last year US and Russian forces got into a literal shooting match with each other. That's clearly not less hostility.

Plus, again, we just pulled out of the INF Treaty. That's pretty huge loving escalation.