Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saw a thread on reddit where a bunch of people have had issues with the VA thinking they are in prison. That sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Boys I am livid.

There is a kid in my math class who I'm 90% certain has Asperger's, but 100% sure he's on the spectrum somewhere. Constantly interrupting during lectures, making random remarks out loud, finishing the instructor's sentences, totally incapable of recognizing figures of speech and sarcasm, and just generally a complete social maladroit. I've watched the rest of the students' reactions to him quickly progress from tolerant, if not patronizing, to snappy and irritated in the 3 weeks since the course started. It came to a head today when he was talking loudly, in a very small classroom, to both himself and the professor during our first exam. Despite the prof explaining multiple times that this was an exam and refusing to answer his questions, he persevered. Between this guy and the professor loudly chattering 6 feet away from me, my concentration was totally thrown off for a solid 20% of the testing time. While I expect I did okay, this absolutely impacted my performance on the exam. The prof, especially during lectures, generally just seems to ignore it rather than shutting the kid down.

I plan to explain to the prof during his next available office hours that this guy's behavior is now starting to interfere with the success of my education. I'm trying to handle it tactfully, but if he's unwilling to put his foot down what's my next course of action? Lodge a complaint with the department? I've never had to deal with a real live sperg in this capacity before

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Tell him to shut the gently caress up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would guess you just talk to your professor, then the chair of the math department, if nothing happens. Surely the syllabus says something not interrupting the learning environment or the school has some sort of policy about it.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 23, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Lots of professors will take the path of absolute least resistance. If ignoring the kid is that path, that's what they'll do. Make it a bigger problem for them and they'll act.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

lightpole posted:

Tell him to shut the gently caress up.
I was a hair away from doing just that today, but that's exactly the type of subtlety that's lost on this guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In my school adventures today, some guy was confused about why he couldn't get the ammeter to work in the physics lab. I told him he needed to have the meter in series with the circuit and he kept saying he did despite it clearly being in parallel, because he was just touching the probes to each side of the resistor. His group was doing things wrong in the last lab too. If there's one thing the military taught me, it's how to read instructions.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Yeah, talk to the department head if talking to the teacher one on one doesn't work.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gray Matter posted:

I was a hair away from doing just that today, but that's exactly the type of subtlety that's lost on this guy.

You'll never get the message across to him. Your goal now is to look like the reasonable person who's just had enough and has to say something for the good of the class. Like Vasudus said, you're not trying to change the dipshit's behavior, you're trying to change the professor's.

Wait for a particularly galling example before setting your foot down. I had to do it once to a stereotypical adult student- know-it-all, dismissive of other students, irrelevant anecdotes, can't pick up on conversational cues that everyone else is moving on. The prof looked like he could kiss me. I was basically bailing him out by playing the bad guy.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I'm double-posting here but gently caress it, this marketing prof straight-up photocopied a 1990 case study on Scope mouthwash in the Canadian market and I'm googling for data and all I find are completed case studies and papers on this same poo poo from students across the globe at Bumfuckistan State U. I'm putting exactly as much effort into this as he did.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah tell other students that suck to shut the gently caress up!

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah tell other students that suck to shut the gently caress up!
Idk man I feel like there's a pretty legitimate distinction between "sucking" and "actively interfering in the education of those around you"

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
there is this home schooled little weirdo that laughs like a grandma at all of the teachers jokes and he thinks this small town in Idaho has a 'bad part of town' and he loves 'epic memes' and doesn't know how to speak at reasonable volumes and I hate him

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i can't fit in with anyone though because the truth is IM THE OLD WEIRDO

truthfully it really bums me out at times

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mods changed my name posted:

i can't fit in with anyone though because the truth is IM THE OLD WEIRDO

truthfully it really bums me out at times

Felt like this at times, looked for kindred souls like that chubby girl in the Blind Melon video. Except I never found the pasture full of fuckin bee-costumed weirdos. Someone told me to try the vet lounge, but way too many Oathkeeper stickers on laptops for me. Peaced out

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been to the vet lounge for a long time. it's just piece of poo poo dudes who did the guard and never left the county other than basic. i think the last straw was when the Vegas shooting happened and the next day it was all "SECOND GUNMAN FALSE FLAG" crap

they're all dumbass chuds/ typical veterans is what I'm saying

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I love this executive MBA poo poo because everyone is mid-career 30s/40s with the disposable income to go do poo poo, and a woman just got voted out of her team for being a no-show boat anchor, no other team would take her and so they kicked her out of the program.

It's literally in the program rules, a team can vote you out (unanimously), other teams can decide not to take you in, and if you can't find a team, you're expelled.

Also, they keep a fully stocked snack table and free soda/tea/coffee/anything all day long.

It's the best thing on earth.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Gray Matter posted:

Idk man I feel like there's a pretty legitimate distinction between "sucking" and "actively interfering in the education of those around you"

I'm serious. People that are disruptive in class should be told to shut the gently caress up. People don't spend thousands and thousands of dollars to have their class time hosed up by some idiot who doesn't understand that they should shut the gently caress up. Let em know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are people who just don't realize what they are throwing away yet. I'm in calculus III, physics 2 and english 1301. The contrast is really startling. In calculus and physics, everyone pays attention. In my English class, I would say about a quarter of the class is just playing games on their phone, half are just staring blankly not paying attention, and the other quarter are actually paying attention. I feel kind of bad for the professor when he's talking about concepts of writing and a kid is straight up playing clash of clans or whatever the gently caress. One girl doesn't even face the board, she just talks to her friend most of the time.

Though I guess I can't say everyone pays attention in physics. There is one guy who sits in the front, frequently falls asleep, and constantly says "wait, I don't get it" and then tries to explain what he thinks is going on but can't because he can't get his words out without stammering for five seconds at a time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

can’t stay at mom’s home rent free after 18 if I’m not furthering myself via education

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Man, I just graduated less than two years ago and I want to go back to school :smith:

poo poo ruled.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

Man, I just graduated less than two years ago and I want to go back to school :smith:

poo poo ruled.

Grad school homie

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

Grad school homie

Best part of grad school is dunking on people who got out of undergrad with no idea what they got into.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

Grad school homie

That's the idea. I'm not sure sure what kind of program to pursue, though. I could continue in my undergrad field (Middle East Studies) but that's kind of lame. I was also looking at some kind of professional degree (MPA/MBA) but I'm not sure what the value return on those are if I don't go into a top program. Like, I did well in undergrad and I could probably get fairly good GRE scores, but probably marginal for the Harvards and Stanfords of the world.

As fun as it would be, a PhD program is out of the question. I'm too old to spend another 6+ years in school.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Grad school owns. Go to a good one that will pay your way.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Deathy McDeath posted:

That's the idea. I'm not sure sure what kind of program to pursue, though. I could continue in my undergrad field (Middle East Studies) but that's kind of lame. I was also looking at some kind of professional degree (MPA/MBA) but I'm not sure what the value return on those are if I don't go into a top program. Like, I did well in undergrad and I could probably get fairly good GRE scores, but probably marginal for the Harvards and Stanfords of the world.

As fun as it would be, a PhD program is out of the question. I'm too old to spend another 6+ years in school.

It depends on what you want to use it for and what you hope to get out of it. There are plenty of moderately priced schools in the 20-50 ranks that have excellent connections in certain areas. The main consideration is that you will have to put in greater effort in selling yourself. The top 10 have a large amount of resources and they put a great deal of it into coaching you to land that top job as their rankings depend on it.

An MBA would be if you want to adjust your career track into, say, management or start your own business. Just getting one, even from a top ten, doesnt make you a banker or get you into finance. Those places generally look for relevant experience or undergrad work. Second tier consulting firms can be an option though (KPMG, PWC, Deloitte). Otherwise top firms go to state schools for hard to find technical backgrounds, generally to do with software, data etc.

If you want to get paid, you pretty much have two choices: a complementary masters that broadens your appeal and allows you greater flexibility in jobs, or a masters that narrows your focus in your field. If you try to make a major jump outside of your undergrad you will need experience to back it up.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

GD_American posted:

You'll never get the message across to him. Your goal now is to look like the reasonable person who's just had enough and has to say something for the good of the class. Like Vasudus said, you're not trying to change the dipshit's behavior, you're trying to change the professor's.

Wait for a particularly galling example before setting your foot down. I had to do it once to a stereotypical adult student- know-it-all, dismissive of other students, irrelevant anecdotes, can't pick up on conversational cues that everyone else is moving on. The prof looked like he could kiss me. I was basically bailing him out by playing the bad guy.

I have this same situation going on in my Digital Electronics class, and I have a test in Boolean Algebra this week.
After the first outburst, I just started recording the lecture "For note taking purposes" on my phone.
He hasn't melted down on a quiz or test yet, but it feels like an academic time bomb.

Go through the motions, be discreet and polite. But if they try to give you poo poo about his inability to use the colleges accessibility resources, such as using a room somewhere the gently caress else to take his test on his own, drop the hammer.

You want hell on Earth? The professor keeps pairing me with my classes spectrum case. Dude thinks that just because I was a Medic that I am better prepared for a direct dose of this guy than everyone else every week.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Finishing up my last semester with Chem 2 (general, nothing crazy), and "Mysticism of the East and the West". The latter is taught by a hot 50 year old yoga instructor and owns hard. First term paper was detailing an acid trip from a few years back and was written under the influence of jazz cabbage. This is a good semester and I am going to miss college a lot.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://gibill.custhelp.va.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/988/~/what-is-the-difference-between-in-residence-training-and-distance-learning%3F

quote:

The total number of hours of classroom instruction (based on 50 minutes of instruction per hour) must equal, or be greater than, the number of credit hours awarded for the course multiplied by the number of weeks in the term.
EXAMPLE: A student is enrolled in a 3-credit course over a 16 week semester. The course must e scheduled for a total of 48 hours of class sessions and meet at least every other week.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 28, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My school has a Vet rep come and talk with student vets about issues. Is this a possibility with your SVO?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Soulex posted:

My school has a Vet rep come and talk with student vets about issues. Is this a possibility with your SVO?

They were on vacation but I left an email/voicemail with them. If I don't hear back by the end of the week it's game time.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Pending BAH deposit is looking a little light at $111. Like, 90% of my BAH is missing, light.
Is there some new VA issue this month I don't know about?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I think it happens occasionally. Might get a partial tomorrow or later today.

Also its based on school days, not blanketed for the whole month.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It could also be books.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Grr! The problem has been solved after pestering the sixty nine (nice) layers of useless redundant administration that exist here.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 28, 2019

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

lightpole posted:

If you want to get paid, you pretty much have two choices: a complementary masters that broadens your appeal and allows you greater flexibility in jobs, or a masters that narrows your focus in your field. If you try to make a major jump outside of your undergrad you will need experience to back it up.

This is where I'm at. Anybody here work in cybersecurity? I'm still waiting to hear back from schools but I'm most likely going to have options for an MS Cybersecurity Risk & Policy program or a two year, full time MBA program. The cybersecurity route looks interesting but with getting out of the army in June I really need career services to help me find my way.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Cybersecurity will get you paid so go there if you like it/it interests you. The MBA requires a top school or you knowing exactly what you want from it and where you are going after. You can go for the technical MS now and the MBA in the future to change your career direction or get in a better MBA school as well.

If you dont like Cybersecurity, arent in a top 10 program and dont have a clue what you are doing, you need a hard re-evaluation of you're future course.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Triggs posted:

Does this mean you get different reimbursement? Just curious because one of the MS programs I'm looking at is definitely 'hybrid' with only 4 residency weeks.

Yes, you get a different BAH rate that's far lower in almost every case depending on how many credit hours you have.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Get into advertising and sell frozen dinners and ketchup to middle America like I did for 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

Get into advertising and sell frozen dinners and ketchup to middle America like I did for 3 years.

What's your take on the meat cat campaign from the 6th season of 30 rock?