Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Why would you start a fantasy epic whose author died before it could be completed, and whose ending has not been well received?

What kind of masochist are you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

El_Elegante posted:

Why would you start a fantasy epic whose author died before it could be completed, and whose ending has not been well received?

the ending was relatively well received and it's now finished and it's a great series

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
The first book of wheel of time is pretty good. And the few after it aren't bad either... I forget where exactly it starts turning into a slog but I never got past 9.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

the ending was relatively well received and it's now finished and it's a great series

The ending books are loving amazing compared to the rest of the series.

evilweasel posted:

this is one of the two big advantages to a kindle: it is very easy to lie about what you're reading if needed

when i was stuck on a flight with a partner who asked about what i had been reading, why of course i was reading a book on wwi on my kindle and not some trashy sci-fi

I love my kindle extremely much. I'm slowly working my way through discworld, I'm at whichever one has the phantom of the opera.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Roger_Mudd posted:

After two failed attempts, I'm nearly finished with the 1st book of the Wheel of Time. I just couldn't get past the first few chapters before. Now it's great.

Maybe I needed to mature into the nerd I was meant to be.

Book 1 of WOT I thought was pretty awful because it felt like such a poo poo LOTR ripoff but man does it take off after that. Books 2 through 4 were amazing. I'm only on book 7 or whatever but it's dope as gently caress for some nerd poo poo.

Also the audiobooks are really great because they got 2 awesome narrators.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The first book of wheel of time is pretty good. And the few after it aren't bad either... I forget where exactly it starts turning into a slog but I never got past 9.

book eight is where what should be a "book" starts spreading over two books, and so book 8 is basically just setup for book 9, book 10 is basically just setup for book 11, and then book 12 was supposed to DEFINITELY FINALLY NO MATTER WHAT be the last book, jordan died, and sanderson took over and was like "yeah this is three books" but then actually finished it in three books which actually all had things happen

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Hm, this Wheel of Time stuff sounds interesting, maybe I'll...

evilweasel posted:

and so book 8 is basically just setup for book 9, book 10 is basically just setup for book 11, and then book 12 was supposed to

Haha, ok nerds no thanks, I have a life.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

El_Elegante posted:

I read the Stormlight Archives first and thought: "self, how bad can it be if the Stormlight Archives author finishes it out".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm only reading fantasy right now because Audible had a buy-one-get-one deal where I got Elantris for free when I bought Children of Time, and I really enjoyed it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Roger_Mudd posted:

I read the Stormlight Archives first and thought: "self, how bad can it be if the Stormlight Archives author finishes it out".

Really? Cause the last book of Archives was a loving sloooooog. Nothing loving happens. I honestly think I liked Mistborn better, at least partially. But yeah, WoT gets a bit meh about midway but Sanderson's last three books in the series were grand. A very good ending, left me happy with the series as a whole.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Can't believe we've gone full-throttle nerd and Reeses wasn't even involved

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Roger_Mudd posted:

After two failed attempts, I'm nearly finished with the 1st book of the Wheel of Time. I just couldn't get past the first few chapters before. Now it's great.

Maybe I needed to mature into the nerd I was meant to be.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
loving garbo nerds with your contemporary science fiction. I recommended Grant's memoirs for book barn's book of the month but I seriously doubt anyone will take me up on it. You don't get really dry until you're reading hundred-plus year old english texts that defy all modern notions of cadence and pace. Grant's memoirs are great for that because he was a really good author writing to a completely different standard of publication, on a really interesting topic. It's the most fascinating boring text I've ever read.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

loving garbo nerds with your contemporary science fiction. I recommended Grant's memoirs for book barn's book of the month but I seriously doubt anyone will take me up on it. You don't get really dry until you're reading hundred-plus year old english texts that defy all modern notions of cadence and pace. Grant's memoirs are great for that because he was a really good author writing to a completely different standard of publication, on a really interesting topic. It's the most fascinating boring text I've ever read.

the fascinating thing about this post is that it reads like a satire of your normal impenetrably learned opinions about Extremely Boring Things... but you're also such a fuckin turbonerd that it might not be a joke

well played Mr Vox

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Exhibit A: a real post you made

Discendo Vox posted:

I love this because it puts the onus of negotiating the ontological space onto individual adherents, and, indirectly, makes the ethical question the basis of their internal deliberations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

El_Elegante posted:

But enough about Game of Thrones…

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear you say that. When I came to these forums I aspired to become a new kind of poster: a kinder, gentler pretentious academic pedant, a Fishmech Lite. These posts tell me I'm well on my way!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Soothing Vapors posted:

the fascinating thing about this post is that it reads like a satire of your normal impenetrably learned opinions about Extremely Boring Things... but you're also such a fuckin turbonerd that it might not be a joke

well played Mr Vox

lol

Soothing Vapors posted:

Exhibit A: a real post you made

lol

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

:jerkbag:

gently caress off and read the Edda translated piecemeal in old loving norse like I loving had to in school, then come back and talk to me about cadence and pace.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I remember starting Snow Crash about 5-6 years ago and immediately jumping ship after a few chapters. I think he's just not for me, for some reason; which is probably weird considering all the other things I like.

Snow Crash is great, bearing in mind it was published in 1992. If you pick it up without that context it will be... disappointing.

Also, the world building is way better than the actual story, but that's true for a whole slew of great science fiction novels.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nice piece of fish posted:

:jerkbag:

gently caress off and read the Edda translated piecemeal in old loving norse like I loving had to in school, then come back and talk to me about cadence and pace.

tyvm this is my jam and unironically going to rock

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

There is something very very wrong with you and I want you to know that.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Really? Cause the last book of Archives was a loving sloooooog. Nothing loving happens. I honestly think I liked Mistborn better, at least partially. But yeah, WoT gets a bit meh about midway but Sanderson's last three books in the series were grand. A very good ending, left me happy with the series as a whole.

I finished the Wax and Wayne books a while back and they were probably my favorite out of Sanderson's books.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

There is something very very wrong with you and I want you to know that.

A) hyperlexia so profound they gave up on measurement

B) where the gently caress can I get the text of the Háttatal, wikisource doesn't have it

C'mon man

Don't hold out on me

Gonna read the Poetic Edda and find some contextualizing stuff on old norse writing until I get it

vvvv regrettably translation is something totally beyond me, I wish I could though.

edit: the contextual educational role of the prose edda is absolutely fascinating. It's interesting to compare it to medieval english texts that served equivalent roles, and to consider how societal structures contributed to the different models of these mythological/religious educational texts. I am trying to put off a food regulatory history effortpost for elsewhere in the forums. Does it show?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 25, 2019

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I hope you're going to get a book teaching you Old Norse via the Prose Edda, rather than simply reading the translation.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I recently read Blindsight and it was fun, but a little disturbing because it’s mostly about sociopaths without empathy and as a lawyer...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

A) hyperlexia so profound they gave up on measurement

Explains a lot

" Some experts believe that most children with hyperlexia, or perhaps even all of them, lie on the autism spectrum"

Also I learned a cool new interesting thing. I also taught myself to read, I think I was around five, and spent my entire childhood in comics and books (and then I discovered the internet and I've been useless ever since). To this day I don't know anyone who reads as fast as I do. Doubt I have hyperlexia though, I'd be an insufferable pedantic nerd who's read far too many books and only made it through law school because he could swallow the entire curriculum in a week... fuuuuck.

Discendo Vox posted:

B) where the gently caress can I get the text of the Háttatal, wikisource doesn't have it

C'mon man

Don't hold out on me

Gonna read the Poetic Edda and find some contextualizing stuff on old norse writing until I get it

http://heimskringla.no/wiki/H%C3%A1ttatal

Got your back, don't worry. You pronounce it how-ta-tahl in old norse.

Arcturas posted:

I recently read Blindsight and it was fun, but a little disturbing because it’s mostly about sociopaths without empathy and as a lawyer...

Yeah, way too real when it came to the vampire stuff, I also have issues with true angles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Explains a lot

" Some experts believe that most children with hyperlexia, or perhaps even all of them, lie on the autism spectrum"

Also I learned a cool new interesting thing. I also taught myself to read, I think I was around five, and spent my entire childhood in comics and books (and then I discovered the internet and I've been useless ever since). To this day I don't know anyone who reads as fast as I do. Doubt I have hyperlexia though, I'd be an insufferable pedantic nerd who's read far too many books and only made it through law school because he could swallow the entire curriculum in a week... fuuuuck.

http://heimskringla.no/wiki/H%C3%A1ttatal

Got your back, don't worry. You pronounce it how-ta-tahl in old norse.

:hfive:

wait this is in- oh you fucker

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hmm a bunch of new posts in the lawyer thread? Guaranteed one of two things

1. New idiot went to law school

2. Nerd poo poo

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

:hfive:

wait this is in- oh you fucker

:geno: What.

Here's an annotated version in english if you can't hack the ol' norse.

http://www.vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/Edda-3.pdf

There's a brand new translation of the Edda coming out soon though, I'll keep you posted.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Wouldn't have thought I'd enjoy a book so much when one of its selling points was, "And really, they kind of just gloss over the vampires in space."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hmm a bunch of new posts in the lawyer thread? Guaranteed one of two things

1. New idiot went to law school

2. Nerd poo poo

3. Phil finally posted his Yuns fanfic

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

3. Phil finally posted his Yuns fanfic

You know it doesn't make you gay if you think Yuns is hot. We all think he's hot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Never heard of hyperlexia before today but it explains so much.

Job interview with general counsel was the fastest job interview I've ever had in my life. He seemed pretty satisfied with my answers and happy that I said the guy I'll be working for (if offered) answered all of my questions previously.

I think this means I'll get an offer soon, but I dunno for sure.

I'll stop interrupting dry literature chat and let you all continue.

Edit:
Also, DV, there's a war literature thread in GiP you might like. I haven't looked at it much, personally.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 25, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'll check it out, though I think this norse material may keep me for a bit

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Also I learned a cool new interesting thing. I also taught myself to read, I think I was around five, and spent my entire childhood in comics and books (and then I discovered the internet and I've been useless ever since). To this day I don't know anyone who reads as fast as I do.

same here, i apparently was mostly reading in preschool

in sixth grade we did words per minute reading tests and they literally needed a new scale for me since the one they had assumed you couldn't read a thousand words in less than a minute. it's a big reason i became a lawyer, because being able to read stupid fast makes a lot of law stuff easy

most of the hyperlexia stuff isn't super applicable to me though aside from a repeated tendency to utterly mangle how to pronounce words i picked up only from reading

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

most of the hyperlexia stuff isn't super applicable to me though aside from a repeated tendency to utterly mangle how to pronounce words i picked up only from reading

I'm pretty sure this happens to everyone. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Have I inadvertently helped the thread to some sort of horrifying collective realization? Are we going to go all Midwich Cuckoos?

For the record, the wikipedia entry can provide the illusion of certainty- hyperlexia is much less well understood than, say, autism. I think the sample size is just way lower, and there's less research or spending on detection, too. Pretty much all of the associations and side-symptoms the article mentions are basically theories from one or two articles. The only really defining trait is early reading development.

I think there are some case studies about me out of Johns Hopkins

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 25, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Have I inadvertently helped the thread to some sort of horrifying collective realization? Are we going to go all Midwich Cuckoos?

For the record, the wikipedia entry can provide the illusion of certainty- hyperlexia is much less well understood than, say, autism. I think the sample size is just way lower, and there's less research or spending on detection, too. Pretty much all of the associations and side-symptoms the article mentions are basically theories from one or two articles.

hyperlexia appears to be a syndrome (i.e. a collection of symptoms that tend to occur together, but where the underlying cause is unknown and it's not even clear there is an underlying cause) rather than an actual diagnosis so yeah, it's not well understood or even a diagnosis really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I don't have hyperassfaceia or whatever.