Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Today I consider myself the luckiest dog in the yard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mkay0 posted:

He never said that. He’s annoyed that an update on a legitimate cancer issue is used as a ratings ploy.

Imagine if a football team had its QB get cancer during the off-season and they advertised ‘get an update on qb’s diagnosis at the game on Sunday’ as a ploy for tv ratings or ticket sales. The sports media would loving destroy that team for such a carny move and, I think, rightfully so. Dave thinks the same standard should apply to wwe.

Predictably, Dave has worded his criticism in a way that confused people and/or made it extremely easy for people to misinterpret his message. He puts a poorly worded comment on Twitter, then clarified it on his podcast. That’s were a lot of this drama comes from.
Why would the same standard apply to a company that has people get crushed by garbage compactors and attacked by undead wizards? His indignation makes it seem as though Roman's dying and/or has no agency whatsoever. It's not a big deal - Roman isn't coming back to announce he's dying, and it's none of our business what his specific diagnosis and treatment is.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

exploded mummy posted:

imagine if a baseball player stopped playing suddenly and the team dedicated an entire day to him so he could discuss his illness in front of his fans
Gehrig having ALS/being terminal was already public.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Angry Grimace posted:

Why would the same standard apply to a company that has people get crushed by garbage compactors and attacked by undead wizards? His indignation makes it seem as though Roman's dying and/or has no agency whatsoever. It's not a big deal - Roman isn't coming back to announce he's dying, and it's none of our business what his specific diagnosis and treatment is.

They weren't putting out press releases about how Mark Calloway aka The Undertaker had been buried alive. Putting him on TV not as his character, but as himself, saying they'll give an update on his health after Kane aka Glenn Jacobs poured dirt on him would be more comparable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Defiance Industries posted:

They weren't putting out press releases about how Mark Calloway aka The Undertaker had been buried alive. Putting him on TV not as his character, but as himself, saying they'll give an update on his health after Kane aka Glenn Jacobs poured dirt on him would be more comparable.

I mean, I would buy that if Roman were dying or had died, but there's no way he's coming back to deliver bad or worked bad news.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Angry Grimace posted:

Usually people say something is straight out of WCW for bad booking, but capitalizing on a real cancer diagnosis to draw a big house and pop a rating is straight out of World Class

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Angry Grimace posted:

You continue to argue against a point that no one has made. If Roman wanted privacy at the point of diagnosis, he’d obviously have that right. If they wanted to lie and say he was having shoulder surgery or whatever to hide that he was getting cancer treatment because he wanted privacy, I’d support that too. No one is here saying we have a right to his medical information.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Usually people say something is straight out of WCW for bad booking, but capitalizing on a real cancer diagnosis to draw a big house and pop a rating is straight out of World Class

But it's not a diagnosis. He's probably either in remission or on the way there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They're giving Roman his own title to defend at the hospice for the duration.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Deliberately misinterpreting Dave makes you seem stupid as poo poo tbh

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I would buy that if Roman were dying or had died, but there's no way he's coming back to deliver bad or worked bad news.

It doesn't really matter, using someone's actual health from a thing that can and does kill people is tacky as gently caress regardless of whether it's good news or not. It's like if Empire was advertising the next episode with "Tune in for an update on the Smolett trial!"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

take the L, you've earned it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

take the L, you've earned it

his entire shtick is refusing to take the L. he travels from thread to thread, far and wide, devil's advocating his way to defeat after defeat. he stinks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Talk about podcasts, not posters.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=124417 Starrcast LLC filed for trademark "Dead Man Talking". Either just the title for Taker's discussion appearances that weekend or the name of a planned podcast with him and Conrad

Fightful says Taker is indeed looking at starting a podcast. He reached out to Austin’s team this weekend to explore different options

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every so often I see an ad for the TV show Bull and wonder who the gently caress makes up the audience for a show like that.

Now thanks to the latest WOR, I know it's Jerry Jarrett.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
As someone who has only recently started listening to WOR, the Jarrett interview was awesome. Can anyone recommend any similar interviews Dave has done?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From a fresher perspective, he recently interviewed Tony Khan who is the owner of the new AEW promotion. Any show featuring Jim Cornette is almost always worth a listen to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TL posted:

As someone who has only recently started listening to WOR, the Jarrett interview was awesome. Can anyone recommend any similar interviews Dave has done?

Go back and listen to the Bruno Sammartino interviews and the Paul Heyman interview.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You've probably all heard it before, but I laughed my rear end off at Jerry's story about calling up Vince to tell him about Eric Bischoff's job offer.

"Take it! They won't listen to a word you say and it'll rack up the bills even higher for Ted Turner!"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm interested to know what Dave and Bryan will think of this episode. They tried to address a ton of the stuff they complain about on WOR a lot, but I'm not sure how the execution will be received. It feels like everyone is saying it totally sucked or it totally ruled. :shrug:

I can see why people would say both, but I think I thought it was pretty drat good and made WrestleMania seem interesting outside of the very top match for the first time.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

You've probably all heard it before, but I laughed my rear end off at Jerry's story about calling up Vince to tell him about Eric Bischoff's job offer.

"Take it! They won't listen to a word you say and it'll rack up the bills even higher for Ted Turner!"
I'm not convinced this is true unless there was an elaborate work going on.

When my dad worked at Hearst when I was a kid, one of his co-workers was married to a guy who worked in WWF production forever. When Jerry Jarett stopped working for the WWF, he sent out a profanity-laced internal memo to the whole company. My dad was offered a copy, but didn't take them up on it to take home for me because he didn't think it was necessarily appropriate.

Again, it could have been a weird work for if it got to Bischoff, but...yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerry's an old school territory promoter so I have no doubt that what he said happened and what actually happened are probably a Venn diagram as opposed to a perfect circle, but I still find it a pretty funny story :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ricky Steamboat chat is absolutely incredible today

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Steamboat still fucks

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

jesus WEP posted:

Ricky Steamboat chat is absolutely incredible today

Came here to say this haha. Wow.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

Every so often I see an ad for the TV show Bull and wonder who the gently caress makes up the audience for a show like that.

Its a good show.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Meltzer spending like 5 minutes of his podcast bitching endlessly about how horribly tasteless the Baron Corbin promo was is something alright. It was a 30 second promo that consisted of Charley Caruso absolutely burying Corbin for being a loving moron. Its even weirder because it looked very much like the angle being set up is Roman beating the poo poo out of Drew/Corbin/Lashley at the same time at Fastlane, and probably Roman beating the poo poo out of Ambrose at WrestleMania (in a short brawl where they shake hands and reunite at the end).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Meltzer spending like 5 minutes of his podcast bitching endlessly about how horribly tasteless the Baron Corbin promo was is something alright. It was a 30 second promo that consisted of Charley Caruso absolutely burying Corbin for being a loving moron. Its even weirder because it looked very much like the angle being set up is Roman beating the poo poo out of Drew/Corbin/Lashley at the same time at Fastlane, and probably Roman beating the poo poo out of Ambrose at WrestleMania (in a short brawl where they shake hands and reunite at the end).

First of all, it was five minutes, and secondly it was one of the worst pieces of writing ever on a show that is known for bafflingly dumb writing. It would be unforgivable if he didn't mention it.

Unrelated: lmao if you're not thinking about Ricky Steamboat during the birth of your first child.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I have an update on Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez. Ahem:

They’re both good

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The segment was tasteless and sucked in what was an otherwise decent RAW and you should be charging Dave for the space he's renting in your head.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

They’re both good

This IS it, chief

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

They’re both good

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

The segment was tasteless and sucked in what was an otherwise decent RAW and you should be charging Dave for the space he's renting in your head.

I pay Meltzer for his podcast. I feel like disagreeing with him from time to time is totally fair. I'm hardly saying Meltzer sucks, I just don't agree with that take.

I mean, Corbin didn't get away with saying a bunch of bullshit: he got clowned by the announcer and then Roman himself (and they set up him getting clowned again at Fastlane).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, Corbin didn't get away with saying a bunch of bullshit: he got clowned by the announcer and then Roman himself (and they set up him getting clowned again at Fastlane).

But, unfortunately, the folks who wrote that crap aren't going to get beaten for it, and they should.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'd have less of a problem with it, if it were delivered by a hot heel that has the charisma to pull it off and sell a match, but not Baron loving Corbin

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I'd have less of a problem with it, if it were delivered by a hot heel that has the charisma to pull it off and sell a match, but not Baron loving Corbin

I think you would absolutely not want a heel you plan to ever do anything with to have that angle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Chris James 2 posted:

Fightful says Taker is indeed looking at starting a podcast. He reached out to Austin’s team this weekend to explore different options

Now I really miss the Ten Minute Podcast because Will Sasso would absolutely have done a great parody of this.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you would absolutely not want a heel you plan to ever do anything with to have that angle.

You realize that the solution to this is not to pay for someone to be give all of the poo poo angles you don't want real people to have, but to not do the bad ideas, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Angry Grimace posted:

Memphis killed Jimmy Hart for a loving decade and it still drew. Its all in the execution.