Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm just surprised at the career diversity of the high income goons. You'd think we'd have all grown up to be Computer Touchers but there are lawyers, doctors, writers, some guy in PYF who designs cars for like a million friggin bucks a year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

So instead of just one well-known high-earning career, we represent the gamut of well-known high-earning careers.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hoodwinker posted:

So instead of just one well-known high-earning career, we represent the gamut of well-known high-earning careers.

I agree that doctors and lawyers are not rare. But for a goon to collect a paycheck that involves people skills??

That's Hispanic-female-surgeon levels of rare.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hoodwinker posted:

and writers! :mrgw:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I agree that doctors and lawyers are not rare. But for a goon to collect a paycheck that involves people skills??

That's Hispanic-female-surgeon levels of rare.

I'm a professional engineer and I have direct contact with people all the time. Those people skills are as important as technical skills.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Devian666 posted:

I'm a professional engineer and I have direct contact with people all the time. Those people skills are as important as technical skills.
As one of the subforum's many tech nerds, yes. You can't be a grognard and get all that far as a developer either.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
I'm a cook at a foster home.

*Edit* but I'm married to a computer toucher. And I used to be a videogame artist for 15 years.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm a computer toucher with an art degree. I paint and print in my free time. I'm married to a much more successful computer toucher. Luckiest luck of the draw.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hoodwinker posted:

Heh, not me boys.

Although I completely understand that in a global context I am extremely lucky and privileged and I am grateful for the blessings in my life.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The only computer touching I do is to play Steam and post on these forums.

I'm not a high earner because public education, baby.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems like early retirement might force you to follow a spending budget strictly to not blow past your plans, but a lot of people who can retire early never had to follow a budget during their working life. How does that tension work out?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

smackfu posted:

It seems like early retirement might force you to follow a spending budget strictly to not blow past your plans, but a lot of people who can retire early never had to follow a budget during their working life. How does that tension work out?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "had to follow a budget." I think most people who retire early do restrict their consumption in some way, to provide for the very high levels of savings required for early retirement. I personally follow a YNAB budget that tracks every dollar.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "had to follow a budget." I think most people who retire early do restrict their consumption in some way, to provide for the very high levels of savings required for early retirement. I personally follow a YNAB budget that tracks every dollar.
It's well-documented (especially via things like the BWM thread) that there really is no upper limit to the amount of money you can waste. Given that, the truly wealthy who do not need to concern themselves with their spending in order to be financially independent are so extremely rare that I hesitate to connect them to financial independence in the same way that, say, a successful programmer, doctor, or lawyer can become financially independent.

Having a couple million in the bank doesn't mean you can spend carelessly, and being in the process of saving towards that much money especially doesn't mean that. I challenge the idea that "a lot of people who can retire early never had to follow a budget during their working life." FI-type folks may not be clipping coupons, but I assure you many (if not most/all of us here) have a budget and constrain our spending.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And using mental tricks to convince yourself you didn't want a thing or guilting yourself into not spending or actually just not being materialist counts as having a budget in this context imo even if you don't actually run the numbers

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Bhodi posted:

And using mental tricks to convince yourself you didn't want a thing or guilting yourself into not spending or actually just not being materialist counts as having a budget in this context imo even if you don't actually run the numbers
Yeah I think the key detail here is constraining oneself more than an actual budget. I don't mean, like, "I constrain myself to only one yacht this year" because those people are unicorns. I mean, "My wife and I constrain ourselves to roughly $40k a year in total spending."

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Heh, clipping coupons is a fun double entendre.

Meaning #1: Using discounts from mailers.

Meaning #2: Collecting investment premiums. Bonds used to actually have huge sheets of “coupons” on them which you would deposit in a bank like a check (on or after some specified date). If someone’s job was to “clip coupons”, they were wealthy enough to live off of investment income alone — essentially FI.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Quoting this again, because the shift in mindset that you're talking about is probably the #2 thing needed to achieve financial independence, right after an income that's high enough to allow savings while still spending enough to meet basic needs.

"[J]ust not being materialist" is a game changer.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think budgets are like diets. There's no inherent need to be on one, but if your intake/output are out of balance, you better get on one ASAP.

And some people have unfairly high metabolisms and deserve the guillotine

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I know so many doctors living literally paycheck to paycheck, if you want to make it to financial independence or the prospect of retiring early and you've earned your wealth from salary, you're going to have used a budget.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I had a stomach surgery that required me to be on a soft/liquid diet for some months. Not only did I lose a bunch of weight, it was the lowest food bill I think we've ever had.

Costco brand ensure is the best of all terrible liquid meal replacers, btw.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

One more year syndrome definitely comes up, but ultimately anyone who can claim to be financially independent is going to be either potentially deluded or fairly familiar with their yearly spending amounts and savings necessary to maintain that spending level.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

baquerd posted:

One more year syndrome definitely comes up, but ultimately anyone who can claim to be financially independent is going to be either potentially deluded or fairly familiar with their yearly spending amounts and savings necessary to maintain that spending level.
The real issue we found is that it is definitely easier to spend more money after retiring than before. You have plenty of time for vacations, fun stuff, home improvement projects, etc. We're having to make a budget for the first time just to make sure that we don't overspend now that we have enough time to enjoy the overspending!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
One of the things I'm planning for is more spending therefore I'm putting away a lot more than what will be needed for a minimalist lifestyle. I always find it odd when someone retires on $1m, that doesn't leave a lot of room for changes that could impact income or capital gains, especially when retiring early.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Devian666 posted:

One of the things I'm planning for is more spending therefore I'm putting away a lot more than what will be needed for a minimalist lifestyle. I always find it odd when someone retires on $1m, that doesn't leave a lot of room for changes that could impact income or capital gains, especially when retiring early.
Same. If I were willing to commit to living in a very basic way for the rest of my life, I'd be able to retire soon. But it seems to me that the point of retiring while you're relatively young is to be able to experience more of what life has to offer while you're still able to enjoy it. I'd much rather put in a few extra years and retire with enough money to travel, pay for interesting experiences, and just generally do what I feel like without having to worry about it.

Unless you're doing some serious geo-arbritrage, a "safe" withdrawal rate on $1 million in today's dollars won't get you much. And I've got a young child so permanently resettling to Thailand or Costa Rica or wherever isn't really going to be a great option anytime soon.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

silicone thrills posted:

I had a stomach surgery that required me to be on a soft/liquid diet for some months. Not only did I lose a bunch of weight, it was the lowest food bill I think we've ever had.

Costco brand ensure is the best of all terrible liquid meal replacers, btw.

PBUC

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I googled this and only came up with a professional baseball umpire corps.

For some seriousness - We're looking at retiring with about $75,000 a year ish. This is about what we spend yearly right now including our mortgage and we're going to pay off our mortgage and reduce down to 1 car so we should have some more play money. I'm in total agreement that I can easily see us spending more money because we will have more time to do cool poo poo.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

silicone thrills posted:

I googled this and only came up with a professional baseball umpire corps.

Praise Be Unto Him Costco

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SpelledBackwards posted:

Praise Be Unto Him Costco

Ah. Yes. Agreed. I'm also looking at buying a new mattress from costco and the deals look ... too good.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
There's quite a few fire bloggers that travel the world full time as a couple for 40k a year or less and don't do it on the super cheap.

I know from my own experience there's many many places around the world I can live very well without feeling like I'm denying myself for 1500-2000 a month.

If you spend half of the year living in SE Asia or Latin America or the cheaper parts of Europe or even just not expensive parts of the USA on say 2k a month, you could then spend the other half of the year in more expensive places and still come out to less than a 4% withdrawal rate with 1 million saved. It's easily doable without living on rice and beans.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to live on 75k or 200k a year or whatever your desires are, but it's doable for a lot less too. 40k puts you easily in the top 1% of income earners in the world, even if it seems very modest by American standards.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Boola posted:

There's quite a few fire bloggers that travel the world full time as a couple for 40k a year or less and don't do it on the super cheap.

I know from my own experience there's many many places around the world I can live very well without feeling like I'm denying myself for 1500-2000 a month.

If you spend half of the year living in SE Asia or Latin America or the cheaper parts of Europe or even just not expensive parts of the USA on say 2k a month, you could then spend the other half of the year in more expensive places and still come out to less than a 4% withdrawal rate with 1 million saved. It's easily doable without living on rice and beans.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to live on 75k or 200k a year or whatever your desires are, but it's doable for a lot less too. 40k puts you easily in the top 1% of income earners in the world, even if it seems very modest by American standards.

How does this factor in inflation? 40k might be ok today, but it's not going to stretch remotely as far in 20+ years.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

asur posted:

How does this factor in inflation? 40k might be ok today, but it's not going to stretch remotely as far in 20+ years.

The 4% rule accounts for inflation. It assumes, basically, that average returns going forward will be 7% with an average of 3% inflation per year - so you can spend 4% of your original investment total per year + inflation safely without depleting it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can travel for $40k a year but it’s not going to look like vacation travel, it’s going to look like living in various countries for a month at a time at long term stays. Otherwise the hotels and restaurants and attractions will eat up your $110 a day in no time.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
It depends on where and how you travel. I've taken month long trips to Thailand, Colombia, Philippines, Spain, Hungary/Czech Republic/Slovakia, and a road trip around the western US in the last year all spending well less than 100 a day. That was using airbnb mostly (and camping a lot on the US trip).

But, ya, it's not doable for luxury travel or going on a lot of guided excursions or switching locations every other day or in more expensive places. But if you're retired, might as well slow travel instead of being a short term tourist if it's something that interests you.

Again, all personal preference. If you want to budget in more expensive traveling and want a bigger nest egg to account for it, go for it. It's also doable for less.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I found that even when I was in my 20s, I liked my own bed, shower, and kitchen too much to ever enjoy a long-term travel lifestyle or too many trips in a single year (even if I were able to afford it and had the time off). Plus, I love dogs too much to not have one, and I can't just be abandoning them for 3 months at a time and place them with relatives or whatever to go overseas.

That's part of the reason I prioritized paying off my house, so I have a home base at all times with now reduced monthly associated expenses. Taxes, insurance, and maintenance of course are still ongoing factors. I still take the occasional trip, but it's on my terms and definitely never that long.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I'm sure people manage but skating by on $50 a day per person inclusive of transportation expenses, all carrying costs at home such as a storage unit etc, insurance, and a budget for unexpected emergency expenses doesn't sound all that great for longer than a couple months.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There's also the huge health insurance issue. If you can get your earned income low enough to get on medicaid or a heavily subsidized ACA plan it helps, but relying on that to stick around at its current rates seems like a large gamble for retirement.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Health insurance is definitely the biggest concern factor for us. I have pretty severe depression that will need treatment for the rest of my life. Plus we are both very active and like to snowboard and hike and such and accidents happen.
Plus I would like to adopt eventually and healthcare for kids is a requirement.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think "move to a place with low cost-of-living in a state that doesn't means-test your assets for Medicaid eligibility" is solid advice for those retiring early

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

EugeneJ posted:

I think "move to a place with low cost-of-living in a state that doesn't means-test your assets for Medicaid eligibility" is solid advice for those retiring early

This doesn't really stack up with "enjoying retirement" for me. I really like living in an urban center and around an hour away from the mountains. But that's also why i'm saving more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Inept posted:

There's also the huge health insurance issue. If you can get your earned income low enough to get on medicaid or a heavily subsidized ACA plan it helps, but relying on that to stick around at its current rates seems like a large gamble for retirement.

I'm not a huge expert on Medicaid but I don't think it covers services in Vietnam or whatever.

I'm also not sure it is good public policy for Medicaid as currently offered to subsidize FIREees with significant retirement savings.