Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah, I think it's a dumbass idea. I think more likely than not they're going to waste a year for the privileged of trading up for Justin Herbert or some poo poo like that.

Then tank harder. Cut or trade everyone over 26 or of immediate value to another team. Amass picks and cap space for two years down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't know if you can take that at face value. If you did like a quarterback in this draft, you're at a lot of risk of getting jumped by another team, having to trade up, and potentially getting into a bidding war for the right to do so.

I think there's a pretty good likelihood that the coaching staff would turn around and say that Dwayne Haskins is their guy. He's going to be a really good fit for the passing concepts Chad O'Shea is likely going to run, I don't know Jim Caldwell is going to advocate fully trusting in the tank thing, etc.

Miami under Grier is obvious and they don’t try to trick anyone about this. We still draft guys that are leaked to be in our favor weeks in advance.

They’re not going QB unless they fell in love with Murray and he falls. It’s no secret they’re looking at defensive line heavily in this draft. The quote was “we (Miami) can draft a starter in the 3rd round in this draft”

Showing they are valuing defense. Recognize that this draft is the draft to invest in defensive line heavily. Strong possibility of hitting a bullseye.

You let a poo poo QB trot out there and get beat up as you see how your many draft picks or bargain free agent signings on the offensive line pan out and you get closer to a finished product involving a strong offensive line, a sound running back and a defense that can at least stop a few teams

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Derek Carr will be throwing to the corpse of Jordy Nelson anddddddd

so soon you forget Brandon LaFell

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I understand Simmons can't actually participate in the physical portions of the combine but it seems hosed up that he would've had the invite rescinded completely for an injury. Much as teams want to interview and do medical exams it just seems really weird.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1096506760024809475

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Then tank harder. Cut or trade everyone over 26 or of immediate value to another team. Amass picks and cap space for two years down the road.

The problem is that the bulk of the Dolphins talent is in that 26-and-under range. The Dolphins got replacement-level play from almost all of their second contract guys last year, and a lot of the wins they pulled out of their rear end came on the back of fluky plays from young skill position players or DBs. I don't think your decision making on who to trade or cut would really look much different if you were tanking, or trying to fix the roster to be competitive in the shorter-term either. The veterans you would cut would still be the same, and the harder decisions you'd have to make(Xavien Howard) would still be similarly hard decisions.

I don't think the Dolphins are likely to be in contention for #1 overall unless they start plowing under young players on their rookie contracts, and that is where you start getting really loving risky. Like, you're going to ruin your loving team- if Tua or whoever they draft is a bust, you're a loving ruin and you've already had a lot of problems hiring coaches or front office people. You're looking in the face of some real pre-Marvin Lewis Bengals poo poo.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Miami under Grier is obvious and they don’t try to trick anyone about this. We still draft guys that are leaked to be in our favor weeks in advance.

They’re not going QB unless they fell in love with Murray and he falls. It’s no secret they’re looking at defensive line heavily in this draft. The quote was “we (Miami) can draft a starter in the 3rd round in this draft”

Showing they are valuing defense. Recognize that this draft is the draft to invest in defensive line heavily. Strong possibility of hitting a bullseye.

You let a poo poo QB trot out there and get beat up as you see how your many draft picks or bargain free agent signings on the offensive line pan out and you get closer to a finished product involving a strong offensive line, a sound running back and a defense that can at least stop a few teams

Yeah I don't know that I agree with that- I think Mike Tannenbaum is the guy who liked to talk and leak and all that stuff. We don't really know that about Chris Grier. While I don't know that there's good evidence of a grand conspiracy to hide them going after a QB this year, I can't imagine any serious decisions have been made yet. The coaching staff has been working in the building for just a matter of days.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah I don't know that I agree with that- I think Mike Tannenbaum is the guy who liked to talk and leak and all that stuff. We don't really know that about Chris Grier. While I don't know that there's good evidence of a grand conspiracy to hide them going after a QB this year, I can't imagine any serious decisions have been made yet. The coaching staff has been working in the building for just a matter of days.

This isn’t correct. Trust me (or if you’re really desperate, i trust you. PM me and I’ll share)

Same scouting staff for 3 years. Same agents in the building. It’s not a secret, just like Minkah being our #3 overall prospect last year (Baker 1, Chubb 2nd)

Tons of leaks, just none to Armando. Even players know chatter from the scouts lol

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't think the Dolphins are likely to be in contention for #1 overall unless they start plowing under young players on their rookie contracts, and that is where you start getting really loving risky. Like, you're going to ruin your loving team- if Tua or whoever they draft is a bust, you're a loving ruin and you've already had a lot of problems hiring coaches or front office people. You're looking in the face of some real pre-Marvin Lewis Bengals poo poo.

It is hard to be bad enough to guarantee the first overall pick.

It is NOT hard to tank enough to be in contention for the first overall pick.

Trading scrap players and picks now for slightly higher picks in the future is a good move.

I also disagree with the notion that if you draft a stellar qb prospect that busts, then the team is ruined. For two reasons. First, rookie contracts are team friendlier than ever. Second, if a team doesn’t have a great qb, then they are already ruined. At a certain point you just have to gamble on drafting a qb.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It is hard to be bad enough to guarantee the first overall pick.

It is NOT hard to tank enough to be in contention for the first overall pick.

Trading scrap players and picks now for slightly higher picks in the future is a good move.

I think it'll be hard for the Dolphins to do without doing what you're mentioning in the last sentence, and I think that would be really irresponsible.

Taking the guys you have and filtering them back through the draft process is really problematic for the overall talent level. You're not going to get the picks you paid for some of them, and you're subjecting it to the randomness of the draft which means it's very likely you get significantly less than you paid in.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I also disagree with the notion that if you draft a stellar qb prospect that busts, then the team is ruined. For two reasons. First, rookie contracts are team friendlier than ever. Second, if a team doesn’t have a great qb, then they are already ruined. At a certain point you just have to gamble on drafting a qb.

I think if pull what would probably be the most obvious tank job in NFL history, turn around and poo poo the bed on it, I think you've done serious damage to your teams credibility.

One of the agents during the Dolphins coaching search basically outright said that his candidate was interested in the job because it's difficult for a black head coach to get a fair shake. All of the other coaching candidates were pretty much jokes that don't make any sense outside of a late-stage Al Davis or Mike Brown hiring. The last time the Dolphins tried to hire a GM on the open market, they had multiple interview requests turned down, had multiple candidates decline the job offer, then turned around and hired a guy who had no real prospects to be a GM anywhere.

If the Dolphins gently caress up a tank job, I think they're basically ruined until Stephen Ross dies.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That concept of a ruined team makes no sense. Drafted players will play for the team. FAs play where they are paid. FO/coaching will work for team because it’s a prestigious job.

If decades of spectacular failure hasn’t stopped the Chiefs, lions, Browns, etc. from recently getting good players and coaches then idk dude. “Ruin” isn’t a thing.

I guess if an owner was a total meddling douche like the Browns owner then maybe?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That concept of a ruined team makes no sense. Drafted players will play for the team. FAs play where they are paid. FO/coaching will work for team because it’s a prestigious job.

If decades of spectacular failure hasn’t stopped the Chiefs, lions, Browns, etc. from recently getting good players and coaches then idk dude. “Ruin” isn’t a thing.

I guess if an owner was a total meddling douche like the Browns owner then maybe?

The Dolphins are already most of the way to the point where they can no longer hire credible non-player professionals to run their team. If the bottom falls out on that, I think you're pretty well hosed.

I mean, again the coaching staff- they were able to attract some credible talent, and an agent basically came out and said it was an undesirable job but that minority coaches cannot afford to be picky. The non-minority guys that they interviewed were Dennis Allen, Dowell Loggains, and Darren Rizzi. If you manage to gently caress up and degrade your position even worse, and that is representative of your pool moving forward, you are pretty well hosed.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
will grier will be a bust

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

will grier will be a bust

Can a 2nd round at best QB really be considered a bust?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Ches Neckbeard posted:

geno smith

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Ches Neckbeard posted:

hackenburg

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

We don't expect much of 2nd round QB's. Being a bust implies high expectations and it's not like non-1st rounders have much of that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

We don't expect much of 2nd round QB's. Being a bust implies high expectations and it's not like non-1st rounders have much of that.

Hackenberg not being able to hold on to the emergency third QB spot is pretty bustish

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers tried to trade the Cam Newton pick to get Clausen and the Cardinals refused lmao

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Brian Brohm.

Ye gods. I was so happy with that pick too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't know what you're talking about, he's a locked in starter for no apparent reason and against all logic in the only league that matters between January and August

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Samuel Gold's draft crush series has begun. Ep. 1 Dwayne Haskins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yu8jfZwZI

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Samuel Gold's draft crush series has begun. Ep. 1 Dwayne Haskins

If Jameis Winston and Kirk Cousins had a baby...

That footwork is UGG-LYY! I feel like Gold dismissed that issue a little easily, considering footwork can be as difficult to change and fix as a throwing motion. I like the quick release but in the nfl he'll have to learn how to step into his throws and keep his feet under him. His movement skills seem kind of lacking too, but his arm throws a lively ball which would get even more so with proper footwork.

He's promising, but he also looks significantly less prepared than Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield last year. Essentially, he's developmental. Slim pickings this year for QBs when the top guy is a one year starter that looks like he'll need some time to get going in the NFL. Giants might be a good spot if they are actually committed to having Eli start next season, give him time to catch up. In Jacksonville or Washington he'd be baptized by fire, which could be good or bad

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Play posted:

If Jameis Winston and Kirk Cousins had a baby...

That footwork is UGG-LYY! I feel like Gold dismissed that issue a little easily, considering footwork can be as difficult to change and fix as a throwing motion. I like the quick release but in the nfl he'll have to learn how to step into his throws and keep his feet under him. His movement skills seem kind of lacking too, but his arm throws a lively ball which would get even more so with proper footwork.

He's promising, but he also looks significantly less prepared than Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield last year. Essentially, he's developmental. Slim pickings this year for QBs when the top guy is a one year starter that looks like he'll need some time to get going in the NFL. Giants might be a good spot if they are actually committed to having Eli start next season, give him time to catch up. In Jacksonville or Washington he'd be baptized by fire, which could be good or bad

His footwork is certainly hindering his deep accuracy(and I think he ends up having bad timing on deep throws as well because he doesn't have a lot of confidence in it), but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all on his short/intermediate throws- I think he's downright surgical in those areas at times.

To me, that's the real potential risk with Haskins- you might end up with Alex Smith 2.0.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Catfish Noodlin posted:

His footwork is certainly hindering his deep accuracy(and I think he ends up having bad timing on deep throws as well because he doesn't have a lot of confidence in it), but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all on his short/intermediate throws- I think he's downright surgical in those areas at times.

To me, that's the real potential risk with Haskins- you might end up with Alex Smith 2.0.

He might have more in his non-throwing arm than Alex smith does in his throwing arm. He’s an all-arm nutbar which means you could be getting the equivalent of a favre/roethlisbergwr type or like Kyle Boller. Smith isn’t a great comparison.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

He might have more in his non-throwing arm than Alex smith does in his throwing arm. He’s an all-arm nutbar which means you could be getting the equivalent of a favre/roethlisbergwr type or like Kyle Boller. Smith isn’t a great comparison.

Well, use whatever example you'd like for a guy who one way or the other is hesitant and restricted from making deeper throws. Chad Pennington? I think the reason why functionally doesn't matter that much when the end result could be very similar.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 23, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

all-arm nutbar
another Robert Kraft joint

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/1100103520290713600

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1100044077066788864

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oof. Murray ranked the same as Josh Allen is a big wow. Murray is accurate and Allen is hopeful it goes forward.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Oof. Murray ranked the same as Josh Allen is a big wow. Murray is accurate and Allen is hopeful it goes forward.

They do share insane athleticism, but yeah Murray seems like a much better passer than Allen was at this stage. Worse, though, than Mayfield and Darnold.

To me it seems that he, not Hakins, should be the first QB off the board. He's got a hell of an arm and more importantly he brings so much more to the table than a relatively unathletic guy like Haskins. A guy who can extend plays and get yards with his feet is always better than one who can't, and I'm not convinced that there's that big of a difference in their passing (or in their potential as passers, at least). I'm probably wrong though

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well I was all in on Rosen so shows you what I know.

Maybe I should like...watch college football?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Well I was all in on Rosen so shows you what I know.

Maybe I should like...watch college football?

Yeah I had Rosen at number 2, which doesn't look great in retrospect. I don't really have time to add more sports to my watching agenda so I'll just continue churning out painfully uninformed half-guesses, thank you very much

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Browns confirmed drafting a tackle high

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1100125127617011713

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Wasn't he good last year? I know Mayfield was bigging him up.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

He like everyone else took a step up after Hue Jackson left. Absolutely atrocious under Hue though. I can't imagine he's the long term solution.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Kareem Hunt can give an additional receiving threat since he caught a lot too while playing with KC so I think either we go Tackle in the 1st round but won't be surprised if we draft a defense player. WR in the second.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gatts posted:

Kareem Hunt can give an additional receiving threat since he caught a lot too while playing with KC so I think either we go Tackle in the 1st round but won't be surprised if we draft a defense player. WR in the second.

Yeah he's good out of the backfield but he's going to be sitting a while and...well you have to hope he stays out of trouble where he's basically had all his trouble happen year round now.

It's not a bad plan but I wouldn't say it's foolproof.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The combine totally snuck up on me this year. The AAF works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here is a pretty handy schedule:

quote:

Tuesday, February 26
Groups 1, 2, 3 (special teams, offensive linemen, and running backs) - Arrival, registration, hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, team interviews.

Wednesday, February 27
Groups 1, 2, 3 (ST, OL, RB) - Measurements/weigh-in, medical examinations, team interviews

Groups 4, 5, 6 (quarterbacks, wide receivers, tight ends) - Arrival, registration, hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, team interviews

Thursday, February 28
Groups 1, 2, 3 (ST, OL, RB) - Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media, bench press, team interviews

Groups 4, 5, 6 (QB, WR, TE) - Measurements/weigh-in, medical examinations, team interviews

Groups 7, 8, 9 (defensive line, linebackers) - Arrival, registration, hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, team interviews

Friday, March 1
Groups 1, 2, 3 (ST, OL, RB) - On-field workout, departure

Groups 4, 5, 6 (QB, WR, TE) - Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media, bench press, team interviews

Groups 7, 8, 9 (DL, LB) - Measurements/weigh-in, medical examinations, team interviews

Groups 10, 11 (defensive backs) - Arrival, registration, hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, team interviews

Saturday, March 2
Groups 4, 5, 6 (QB, WR, TE) - On-field workout, departure

Groups 7, 8, 9 (DL, LB) - Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media, bench press, team interviews

Groups 10, 11 (DB) - Measurements/weigh-in, medical examinations, team interviews

Sunday, March 3
Groups 7, 8, 9 (DL, LB) - On-field workout, departure

Groups 10, 11 (DB) - Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media, bench press, team interviews

Monday, March 4
Groups 10, 11 (DB) - On-field workout, departure

Workouts
40-yard dash
Vertical jump
Broad jump
Three-cone drill
20-yard shuttle
60-yard shuttle
Position-specific drills
Television coverage
NFL Network will air live coverage of the on-field workouts March 1-4, beginning at 9am ET on Friday, Saturday, and Monday, and at 10am ET on Sunday. ABC will also air coverage from 1-3pm ET on Saturday, covering the quarterbacks and wide receivers.

Online Streaming
The NFL app and NFL.com/Watch will stream the coverage, provided you are subscribed to a television provider that includes NFL Network.

NFL.com will air a one-hour re-cap show, Combine Today, each day of the Combine, streaming at 4pm ET on Friday and Sunday, 5pm ET on Saturday, and 2pm ET on Monday.