Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

I know GPS status does but it's by law that the car's speedometer is off (overreports) by a certain percentage, or at least it used to be.

It never was.

The laws do however usually mandate that f the speedometer is off you have much greater leeway as a manufacturer for consistently overreporting speed up to a certain percentage, with tolerance for underreporting usually being restricted to under 1%, in some jurisdictions the speedometer may never underreport at all. Consequently, most cars come from the factory overreporting speed by a slight amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
God drat why didn't I install a Dark Mode add-on for FireFox Mobile until today? Now every website matches the sweet blackness of the OLED option the the SA app has.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

I know GPS status does but it's by law that the car's speedometer is off (overreports) by a certain percentage, or at least it used to be. I remember a very old Car & Driver article about it (and by old I mean from at the latest the 90s, possibly the 80s) which was fairly in depth about how manufacturers from different regions were off by different percentages and how it was due to regulations from that area.

Of course now with the EU instead of individual nations and 30+ years of changing regs it might not still be true. If you know more I'd love to hear it just for personal curiosity's sake.

Well, I was using Waze and my mom's CRV speedo is dead nuts accurate at 30 mpg. Probably won't be able to check my car for another week.

Wow, I like the map view of Waze when using Auto. More so than Maps. I'd consider using it full time, but my new car has built in GPS and no Auto, so I have no need.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

It never was.

You are correct, I should have stated that they were off intentionally as a byproduct of the law, which in some jurisdictions say the speedo can't under report when when the user changes to a different diameter tire.

Given modern OBD and wheel spin sensors for ABS I'd imagine speed is calculated much more accurately than in the past, so much so that even with modifications that the speedo should never be wrong at all.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ABS sensors can't detect a different size tire (unless it's one of the 4). But regardless, you'd have to go pretty silly with a tire change to make a speedo underreport anything significant.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

My previous Twitter alternative app, Flamingo, has been missing entries in the Notifications timeline for others' retweets of my retweets for quite a long time now. I miss those, for terrible reasons, but I still miss them. Is there a way to get them back without getting the official Twitter app?

Anybody? I've already tried Talon and Fenix 2 and they don't appear to have this feature out of the box....

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is Pushbullet still the de facto app for most easily sending URLs and files between phone and browser? I'm not interested in notification mirroring, just sending links and files (primarily photos) between phone and browser.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Montalvo posted:

Is Pushbullet still the de facto app for most easily sending URLs and files between phone and browser? I'm not interested in notification mirroring, just sending links and files (primarily photos) between phone and browser.

Once they changed their pay structure, I think a lot of people jumped ship to Join by Joaoapps, but Pushbullet probably still works fine for that.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I just got the new Gmail and I love it except it still doesn't have delegate accounts. Stop loving with the stylesheet and add your functionality ffffffff

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Aieeee please me give me back my dark mode new Gmail, you burn my tender troglodyte eyessss

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is there a good Android app for highlighting/annotating PDFs that will let me load those annotations on a Windows application without flattening them?

I've got a Fire HD 8, and I've tried and liked Xodo, but the annotations don't seem to transfer - if I load the same PDF in Adobe Reader DC or even Xodo on Windows, they're gone. They do still show up if I load it in Adobe Reader for Android though, so I know they're getting saved, but getting them to my PC hasn't worked so far.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is there a good Android app for highlighting/annotating PDFs that will let me load those annotations on a Windows application without flattening them?

I've got a Fire HD 8, and I've tried and liked Xodo, but the annotations don't seem to transfer - if I load the same PDF in Adobe Reader DC or even Xodo on Windows, they're gone. They do still show up if I load it in Adobe Reader for Android though, so I know they're getting saved, but getting them to my PC hasn't worked so far.

Foxit does what you want, I believe: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/blog/creating-and-annotating-pdf-on-mobile-devices/ Can't vouch for it, haven't used it in years and did very limited annotating, all of it on PC.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ola posted:

Foxit does what you want, I believe: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/blog/creating-and-annotating-pdf-on-mobile-devices/ Can't vouch for it, haven't used it in years and did very limited annotating, all of it on PC.
Same issue. I added comments with Foxit, loaded the PDF into Foxit/Adobe on PC and the comments aren't there. Foxit on Android can see the comments I've made in files with Xodo on Android though.

I just tried adding comments to a document with Xodo PC and those load on Xodo Android, but if I add a second comment there and open it back on PC I don't see the second one, only the first. It does say it has saved the file, and the comment shows up in other Android readers. So I can get comments from PC -> Android and Android -> Android, but not Android -> PC for whatever reason.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any Muzei extensions they'd like to recommend? I love the default artwork plugin, but it would be nice to have some other things to switch to when the art shown is some dark / horrible thing (the art archive seems to skew heavily towards a certain type of color palette that I'm getting tired of). I've already tried the Bing and National Geographic ones and wasn't a huge fan.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i dont use it anymore but i used nasa's image of the day before even though i wasnt a big space guy theyre still pretty and mostly in colour palettes (blues, browns, orange) that i liked as my splash screen

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

Does the official Adobe app not do that? I think it does, but could be wrong

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I got it sorted out: I'd assumed that saving/closing the file on the tablet would mean the changes would be visible immediately in the file, but if I add the comments while the tablet is connected to my computer (because I was sitting here testing all this) they are not. If I disconnect/reconnect the tablet, or otherwise make the annotations while the tablet is disconnected, they'll show up just fine in Acrobat or whatever else I want on PC. In practice I'll only be using my tablet for reading when I'm not at my computer anyway, so it won't matter.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I want to run the Amazon Kindle Android app on Windows 10. Is there a sane and secure way to do this?

I'm aware of Bluestacks and some similar emulators, but they're very heavyweight and I am not sure I want to trust Bluestacks' security. What I really want is a WINE-like compatibility layer for Android on Windows, but I have yet to find one.

Maybe something like Bluestacks is the best way, though.

Background if you're curious:
I read a lot and I use a physical Kindle device. I use Kindle's Personal Documents feature for books I purchase on places like Humblebundle (it saves money, and some are not available via the Kindle store).

Kindle's Personal Documents feature allows you to sync books purchased outside the Kindle store across most devices. However, it does *not* allow you to sync such books to Win/Mac.

I'm considering purchasing a Windows tablet. If I do so, I'd like to be able to use Kindle on it along with my personal documents. Since Amazon won't allow this to work in the native Windows client (and the web client), a possible workaround is using their Android app on Windows.

It's crazy, and yes I am frustrated that Amazon won't make the native Windows readers work with personal document syncing. My assumption is that it's an anti-piracy measure and a way to push you toward the Kindle store for all book purchases.

(I posted this in the main Android thread but was pointed here.)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can't you just use Calibre to put the external books on your Kindle?

Unless you're saying that you use more than one Kindle device and that Document's thing allows you to keep them synced to the same "I've read this far" point across multiple devices?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Annath posted:

Can't you just use Calibre to put the external books on your Kindle?

Unless you're saying that you use more than one Kindle device and that Document's thing allows you to keep them synced to the same "I've read this far" point across multiple devices?

Yeah, I use multiple devices and I want page read + notes/highlights to sync.

If I read exclusively on one device, Calibre would be fine.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That syncing thing sounds interesting, can Moon+ sync progress between devices like that? Is there a way it can sync to PC?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Google Play Books has automatic sync between devices. On PC, you can use the web browser version.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

That syncing thing sounds interesting, can Moon+ sync progress between devices like that? Is there a way it can sync to PC?

BoldFace posted:

Google Play Books has automatic sync between devices. On PC, you can use the web browser version.

While both of these are good thoughts in general, part of my specific formulation of this problem is that I already own a physical Kindle e-ink reader which cannot run anything but Kindle because, well, it's a Kindle.

So I am not looking to exit the Kindle ecosystem, but rather to force the ecosystem to play nice on desktop OSes.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
You could try Google arc welder, it's worked well for a few apps I tried with it. It's a bit of a hassle though.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm unable to upload videos to Instagram. My source is a gif I've converted to mp4. I've tried everything, from changing framerate, size, etc. to just uploading it to giphy and letting them to the conversion. But no matter what I do, the video files are just greyed out in Instagram's file selection, I can't select them. Maybe it's not enabled for my device/ Android version?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

mike12345 posted:

I'm unable to upload videos to Instagram. My source is a gif I've converted to mp4. I've tried everything, from changing framerate, size, etc. to just uploading it to giphy and letting them to the conversion. But no matter what I do, the video files are just greyed out in Instagram's file selection, I can't select them. Maybe it's not enabled for my device/ Android version?

I've only uploaded videos I took with my phone's own camera, but that works fine so it's definitely not that Instagram won't do videos from Android. I've never actually seen something greyed out when trying to upload, video or otherwise.

Will it let you select a video that you just take with your phone's camera app? If so, I'm guessing it has something to do with the format from your conversion. I'm not sure what Instagram's video preferences are, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's very possible Instagram doesn't like how you've formatted the gif file? I've never had issues with videos I've taken, it's definitely been enabled from the start.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What is up with Google News sending me the same stories multiple times a day after I demiss them?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

OhFunny posted:

What is up with Google News sending me the same stories multiple times a day after I demiss them?

You did not sufficiently engage with dynamic content. RE-ENGAGE!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

incogneato posted:

I've only uploaded videos I took with my phone's own camera, but that works fine so it's definitely not that Instagram won't do videos from Android. I've never actually seen something greyed out when trying to upload, video or otherwise.

Will it let you select a video that you just take with your phone's camera app? If so, I'm guessing it has something to do with the format from your conversion. I'm not sure what Instagram's video preferences are, though.

No, I figured it out. I upload all my pics to Google Drive and access it via Instagram, but apparently if the file is too big, or it's a video, it's greyed out. I dl'd the video and now it shows up fine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

OhFunny posted:

I like when Google gives me a random score update from midway through a game over and over again for the rest of the day.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like the articles from 2 years ago. It's like if the Library of Congress preserved every dumb editorial on Huffpo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I clicked on a reddit post once and now chrome keeps suggesting links to reddit posts of screenshots of video games I've played. I want to see news!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I clicked on a reddit post once and now chrome keeps suggesting links to reddit posts of screenshots of video games I've played. I want to see news!

Mine for some reason wants to show me Reddit threads of people using stasis to shoot themselves long distances in Breath of the Wild. I never say I'm not interested in BotW, I mean I do enjoy the game and would like to hear any news that might come out about it, but the suggestions are oddly specific to flying on objects.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Holy gently caress they just straight up ruined PocketCasts :gonk:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

I know!

Whenever I started a new podcast, I'd sort oldest-newest and then as I worked through the backlog I'd just delete the listened episodes and they'd jump to the bottom and be hidden. Now I have to scroll through a bunch of played episodes to get to the one I'm currently on.

Also, it's shrunken the UI and just looks janky.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I'm in the beta, so I've had this UI for a few months. I absolutely HATED it when they changed it. It hosed about half my feeds up and the interface felt like a big step back. Now I'm used to it and it's not too bad. You basically have to relearn the app, but you'll figure it out.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

XIII posted:

I'm in the beta, so I've had this UI for a few months. I absolutely HATED it when they changed it. It hosed about half my feeds up and the interface felt like a big step back. Now I'm used to it and it's not too bad. You basically have to relearn the app, but you'll figure it out.

I have a bunch of shows where I pick and choose old episodes to listen to and it's impossible to use that way now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I have a bunch of shows where I pick and choose old episodes to listen to and it's impossible to use that way now.

How? Just scroll back in the timeline and press Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

XIII posted:

How? Just scroll back in the timeline and press Play

If I have seven random episodes downloaded of a 200+ episode show I now have to scroll through 200 episodes looking for the ones I have downloaded. Their solution to this is to archive everything I don't have downloaded, then go unarchived the whole feed when I want to find new episodes.