Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

After taking back the House—and relevant committees like Financial Services and Intelligence—Democrats are preparing to launch a major investigation into Deutsche Bank’s habit of loaning Trump massive sums of money and, per Politico, “whether Russia was involved.”

Among its hires, the House Financial Services Committee has reportedly recruited veteran investigator Bob Roach, who is said to be “remarkably familiar” with money-laundering matters, in addition to Abigail Grace, a former career official at the National Security Council who left the White House last year, and whose hiring resulted in a shrieking tweet about “witch hunt[s]” from the Oval Office.

According to Politico, Democrats believe that Robert Mueller’s investigation has done little to explore the Deutsche Bank angle to Trump’s finances. “There’s a heightened need to look into anything that could compromise the president or the country, particularly if it’s not being investigated elsewhere,” said House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff. “I don’t know that to be the case, but I just haven’t seen any external signs that that’s happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

*Starts searching zillow for land in Alaska*

We're not that hosed yet, but if you have kids, you might buy some land in Montana or Idaho or somewhere that will be relatively decent most of their lives.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We're not that hosed yet, but if you have kids, you might buy some land in Montana or Idaho or somewhere that will be relatively decent most of their lives.

Upper midwest would be a better bet wouldn't it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Popsci tried to find which places will have a similar climate in 2080 to places you know now, and the result was kind of depressing. To keep your current temperature band, you’ll have to go ~500 miles north. That means FL gets tropical heat, NC will have temps more like FL now, and PA will be more like NC is now.

https://www.popsci.com/2080-american-towns-climate

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

hobbesmaster posted:

Upper midwest would be a better bet wouldn't it?

It's already unseasonably hot im the summers and bitterly cold and snowy here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Go adopt if you want children. They're already here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

Looking forward to the world finally coming together to combat climate change and OH MY GOD FROM THE TOP ROPE, IT’S THE OBSOLESCENCE OF ANTIBIOTICS

I've been doomsaying this as a job for a while

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It'll be some ancient version of the Spanish Flu that comes up from the melting permafrosts, something older than our subgenus of humans that spreads like wildfire with an obscene mortality rate among the healthy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think we need to build a wall to keep all the Bible Belt fuckos out when their summers get too unbearable.

"Ask your friend Jesus for some help with that, dumbass"

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Too bad I don't have a spare $500,000 to buy property somewhere and prep the gently caress out of it. Too bad I don't have a spare $20,000 to prep where I'm at.

All the while the rich are prepping and buying property in New Zealand for their escape when our society finally collapses.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Soulex posted:

I wanted to write a short story about how Earth is basically Alien Timmy's third grade science experiment and hosed it all up.

Read the sequels to Forever War.

That goes to everyone.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I think "The Water Knife" paints a pretty good picture of what the world will look like in 40 years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Naramyth posted:

It's already unseasonably hot im the summers and bitterly cold and snowy here.

Average high in Duluth in the warmed months is still shy of 80s. Average max for the year is just shy of 89. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duluth,_Minnesota#Climate

Not sure you could do much better in the lower 48 than the north woods/Wisconsin/UP

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Slim Pickens posted:

Where's the johns that were supposed to be bigger than Kraft?

Maybe they meant physically.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Y’all such Debby downers. Look on the bright side. You or your children may get a chance to heroic on the Fury Road or whatever.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I bought my friends who are having kids rifles instead of savings bonds.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Average high in Duluth in the warmed months is still shy of 80s. Average max for the year is just shy of 89. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duluth,_Minnesota#Climate

Not sure you could do much better in the lower 48 than the north woods/Wisconsin/UP
The wooded areas will probably turn into plains in a century if we don't make some big changes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never seen a tree, slowly dying of cancer and worshipping a biker gang leader? Sounds like a bright future

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Y’all such Debby downers. Look on the bright side. You or your children may get a chance to heroic on the Fury Road or whatever.

Like they'll find the fuel to keep big block V8s on the road.

The grim future is exclusively 1980s Merc diesels.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Like they'll find the fuel to keep big block V8s on the road.

The grim future is exclusively 1980s Merc diesels.

And they render down human fat into biodiesel :black101:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

And they render down human fat into biodiesel :black101:

Glad we could work a Soylent green solution into this.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
More than 50 ex-national security officials tell Trump his national emergency is not justified
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/more-50-ex-national-security-officials-tell-trump-national-emergency-n975701

In a letter, the former officials said redirecting funds to build the border wall could hurt national security by pulling resources from programs that keep the U.S. safe.

quote:

WASHINGTON — Fifty-eight former U.S. national security officials told the Trump administration in a letter Monday that they are aware of "no emergency that remotely justifies" diverting funds to build a border wall.

The officials, who served in both Democratic and Republican administrations, include former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who served in the Clinton administration, and former Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, a Republican who served in the Senate and the Obama administration.

Others include Leon Panetta, former secretary of defense and director of the CIA; Gil Kerlikowske, former head of Customs and Border Protection; John Kerry, former secretary of state; and Nick Rasmussen, former director of the National Counterterrorism Center.

The letter, according to its authors, is a declaration intended to be used in lawsuits challenging President Donald Trump's Feb. 15 decision to redirect $8 billion in federal funds in order to begin construction of a barrier along the southern border. Trump had promised during his campaign to build the border wall but Congress has offered less than $2 billion in federal funds after months of negotiations.

The officials fact check Trump's basis for declaring the national emergency, pointing out that illegal border crossings are near 40-year lows, there is no documented terror threat, human and drug trafficking will not be affected by a border wall, and there is no violent crime threat posed by immigrants.

A study by the Cato Institute found that undocumented immigrants in Texas were 44 percent less likely to be incarcerated than native-born citizens, the letter said.

Not only is the national emergency not justified, it could also be damaging to the interests of the United States, the authors say.

"In the face of a nonexistent threat, redirecting funds for the construction of a wall along the southern border will undermine national security by needlessly pulling resources from Department of Defense programs that are responsible for keeping our troops and our country safe and running effectively," they said.

The national emergency and other unilateral actions to block immigrants coming from the south could also strain diplomatic ties in the Western Hemisphere at a time when the U.S. should be addressing concerns in the region, such as the political turmoil in Venezuela, the authors say.

In addition to redirecting funds for the border wall, the Trump administration has also begun to return asylum-seekers to Mexico where they must wait months or years for a decision on whether they can seek refuge in the United States. Another move, which has been blocked by federal courts, sought to block asylum rights for immigrants who cross the border between legal ports of entry.

The authors said their concerns extend to the global stage as well.

"Should a genuine foreign crisis erupt, this lack of credibility will materially weaken this administration's ability to marshal allies to support the United States, and will embolden adversaries to oppose us," they said.

Link to the letter itself: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5749671-National-Emergency-Joint-Declaration-2-21-19.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

More than 50 ex-national security officials tell Trump his national emergency is not justified
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/more-50-ex-national-security-officials-tell-trump-national-emergency-n975701

In a letter, the former officials said redirecting funds to build the border wall could hurt national security by pulling resources from programs that keep the U.S. safe.

Link to the letter itself: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5749671-National-Emergency-Joint-Declaration-2-21-19.html

Might as well have posted this straight to resistancehole.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This will be the one that does Trump in!
*nothing happens*
Nevertheless,

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yeah the Great Orange Fecal Smear will get right on that and start giving a gently caress at about half past never.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Might as well have posted this straight to resistancehole.

I just googled that and I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just googled that and I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

https://resistancehole.clickhole.com/excuse-me-mr-trump-sir-but-respectfully-dr-trump-1825886973

Specifically the article I was thinking of

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Too bad I don't have a spare $500,000 to buy property somewhere and prep the gently caress out of it. Too bad I don't have a spare $20,000 to prep where I'm at.

All the while the rich are prepping and buying property in New Zealand for their escape when our society finally collapses.

I wont let you guys down

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasudus posted:

It'll be some ancient version of the Spanish Flu that comes up from the melting permafrosts, something older than our subgenus of humans that spreads like wildfire with an obscene mortality rate among the healthy.

Watch it turn out that the steady drumbeat of annual flu shots have conferred substantial immunity to the 1918 strain and nobody gets to fill the "flupocalypse" spot on their card.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My particular favorite part of all of this is the geopolitics of what's gonna happen when land dynamics greatly change. Montana/Wyoming/the Dakotas/Michigan UP/etc are going to be prime farm land in 2100. That also means a bunch of Canada is going to thaw and be prime farmland.

Guess what, fuckers: we're gonna take that land when it comes time. Just like every other country is going to go to war over farmland like it's 1099.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FAUXTON posted:

Watch it turn out that the steady drumbeat of annual flu shots have conferred substantial immunity to the 1918 strain and nobody gets to fill the "flupocalypse" spot on their card.

Exactly this. The 1918 flu was a combination of factors like globalization and concentration of people under the age of 30 together. Basically people over 30 had seen some of the 1918 flu antigens before
By chance we went 30 years without any of them popping up. So when they did everyone under 30 was at a greater risk of getting severe flu. Compound that with people of that age circling the globe and living in close proximity along with increasing urban concentration of people and it was bad.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

My plan for the future is to ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I mean if the US goes full authoritarian we'll push south to the panama canal, relocate everyone in central america to south america, and use nukes to create a radioactive desert barrier with a division guarding the panama canal and the navy patrolling the central american coast with very loose rules of engagement

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That Works posted:

Exactly this. The 1918 flu was a combination of factors like globalization and concentration of people under the age of 30 together. Basically people over 30 had seen some of the 1918 flu antigens before
By chance we went 30 years without any of them popping up. So when they did everyone under 30 was at a greater risk of getting severe flu. Compound that with people of that age circling the globe and living in close proximity along with increasing urban concentration of people and it was bad.

Yeah we're considerably more mobile than we were in 1918 as a whole, but demobilization after the war made a perfect storm for the virus's spread among that highly susceptible peer group. We don't really have that particular kind of concentration anymore but instead we have modern airports.

The 1918 flu was of the H1N1 subtype, which we've seen (as a subtype) repeatedly since, and repeatedly even since flu shots became a thing. It's likely there's been some degree of resistance or immunity picked up but that doesn't mean the next flu won't be something completely new.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I mean if the US goes full authoritarian we'll push south to the panama canal, relocate everyone in central america to south america, and use nukes to create a radioactive desert barrier with a division guarding the panama canal and the navy patrolling the central american coast with very loose rules of engagement

Yeah, but if that area is no longer a land bridge and is instead two massive inhospitable deserts separated by a sea, we wouldn't have to worry about doing that.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Florida and Texas no longer being states would go a long way towards fixing the country at least

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Viral hemorrhagic fever FTW. Cocolitzli or bust.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11304065/

Abstract

In 1545, twenty-four years after the Spanish conquest of the Aztec empire, an epidemic of a malignant form of a hemorrhagic fever appeared in the highlands of Mexico. The illness was characterized by high fever, headache, and bleeding from the nose, ears, and mouth, accompanied by jaundice, severe abdominal and thoracic pain as well as acute neurological manifestations. The disease was highly lethal and lasted three to four days. It attacked primarily the native population, leaving the Spaniards almost unaffected. The hemorrhagic fevers remained in the area for three centuries and the etiologic agent is still unknown. In this report we describe, and now that more information is available, analyze four epidemics that occurred in Mexico during the colonial period with a focus on the epidemic of 1576 which killed 45% of the entire population of Mexico. It is important to retrieve such diseases and the epidemics they caused from their purely historical context and consider the reality that if they were to reemerge, they are potentially dangerous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah we're considerably more mobile than we were in 1918 as a whole, but demobilization after the war made a perfect storm for the virus's spread among that highly susceptible peer group. We don't really have that particular kind of concentration anymore but instead we have modern airports.

The 1918 flu was of the H1N1 subtype, which we've seen (as a subtype) repeatedly since, and repeatedly even since flu shots became a thing. It's likely there's been some degree of resistance or immunity picked up but that doesn't mean the next flu won't be something completely new.

We're shuffling and worldwide spreading flu antigens more homogenously than ever before so I bet flu A isn't gonna be quite a killer like that again unless we get a particularly distant crossover from another host that happens to spread easily in humans.

I'm always amazed at how little flu gets attention given its amazing bodycount from year to year.

E: my Black death lecture in class is fun as poo poo. I open up with "imagine the population of every state on the Atlantic coast dying in 5 years" and go from there.

That Works fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Everyone thinks the Flu is getting a cold. That is why.