Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rexxed posted:

Can't wait for the Wingman relaunch.

Hell yeah! Loved that mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fletcher posted:

Wow man that's dedication

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fletcher posted:

The Powerplay mat balances out those nasty, crusty old mice. :3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Cancelled my order for that G MX518.

Something about this (r) bothers me. Like, they're trying too hard. I'll wait until some english-language reviews hit, or a sure sign that they're shipping and are legitimate.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cancelled my order for that G MX518.

Something about this (r) bothers me. Like, they're trying too hard. I'll wait until some english-language reviews hit, or a sure sign that they're shipping and are legitimate.

I understand why you'd be suspicious, and I'm not going to try to change your mind about whether to purchase, but for future reference it honestly is our official Amazon storefront.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wake me up when they use the g pro weight saving and lightspeed tech on that mx518 :smug:

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Also, the new MX518 has been sold for a while now in China. If you browse OCN forums, you'll see people have been importing them for months. It was just a matter of time before they came stateside!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Goo posted:

I understand why you'd be suspicious, and I'm not going to try to change your mind about whether to purchase, but for future reference it honestly is our official Amazon storefront.

That's good to know because that's where I ordered mine from on Amazon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Goo posted:

Oh hey, Goo!

Jeez, I forgot that we have a goon on the inside, again. Probably should have asked that from the start. I'll go put the order back in again.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In definitely going to pick one up but I don't pre-order things as a rule and I'd rather buy from MicroCenter or Newegg. So I too am waiting for the actual release

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I can only assume that when it will arrive here by this coming Tuesday, it is probably released for reals.

Unless Goo wants to comment on why there isn't an official launch date or anything?

....or really, much of any kind of the kind of review hype that you normally see on new products? Like, the only review that I came across while looking for an official release date was a piece by Sweclockers.

Either way, I am probably going to use mine, compare it to the old one, take it apart, and then post findings here, the whole nine yards anyway.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I’m going to speculate that they’re eager to sell mice for $60 instead of watching the market saturate with people paying exporters $50 who buy mice in China for $20

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

But seriously, an mx518 that's as light as the g pro with that same low pow sensor and tiny battery might intrigue people. I'm set for the next 4+ years but otherwise I'd be interested in a variant of this rebirth.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Amazon is now saying I'll get my MX518 Tuesday instead of Wednesday now. :woop:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

spasticColon posted:

Amazon is now saying I'll get my MX518 Tuesday instead of Wednesday now. :woop:

I got the message too! Yes!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mindblast posted:

But seriously, an mx518 that's as light as the g pro with that same low pow sensor and tiny battery might intrigue people. I'm set for the next 4+ years but otherwise I'd be interested in a variant of this rebirth.

I mean, I ain't gonna say no...

But let's burn one bridge at a time, in going back to the MX518, I'm gonna have to get used to not having the G502's spinnywheel.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Bought the MX518 Legendary on a whim (I think I've written that a lot in this thread)

The shape is so god drat good, no wonder it was so popular. It's surprisingly LED free compared to everything else on the market. The new color is very understated in a good way, it has small reflections in it like metallic car paint.

The packaging says to visit logitechg.com/support/mx518 for the software, but that page just redirects me back to the landing page for support. It'll probably be up later I guess?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I just hope the small top buttons are more durable. That's only physical change I care for along with maybe larger teflon feet.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Icept posted:

The packaging says to visit logitechg.com/support/mx518 for the software, but that page just redirects me back to the landing page for support. It'll probably be up later I guess?

You need either the regular Logitech Gaming Software or G HUB, their new replacement for the Gaming Software: https://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/mx518-optical-gaming-mouse/downloads

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Tab8715 posted:

I just hope the small top buttons are more durable. That's only physical change I care for along with maybe larger teflon feet.

I like the small Teflon feet on the original 1600dpi version.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I got a G903 yesterday to replace my very old and still perfectly fine if gross MX518. Feels good so far but the mouse wheel is really sensitive and doesn't give any feedback when scrolling so using it to change weapons in games is not great. It is nice to have a wireless mouse finally

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

incels interlinked posted:

I got a G903 yesterday to replace my very old and still perfectly fine if gross MX518. Feels good so far but the mouse wheel is really sensitive and doesn't give any feedback when scrolling so using it to change weapons in games is not great. It is nice to have a wireless mouse finally

Press the button below the scroll wheel for a less sensitive wheel that gives feedback.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

incels interlinked posted:

... mouse wheel ... using it to change weapons in games

Found the actual problem. The solution is to stop using a tremendously terrible binding scheme. Trying to use input devices for tasks they're ill-suited to is a really bad idea.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

What do you use your mousewheel for in video games then?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In general you don't want to use it for anything. It's rare for games to have an input where a wheel is anywhere close to optimal. Most serious players will just unbind it to avoid accidental inputs, and maybe use it for a button that is exclusive with LMB actions so it doesn't hamper you in any way.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so much adblock on this site. is it available anywhere other than amazon?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

K8.0 posted:

In general you don't want to use it for anything. It's rare for games to have an input where a wheel is anywhere close to optimal. Most serious players will just unbind it to avoid accidental inputs, and maybe use it for a button that is exclusive with LMB actions so it doesn't hamper you in any way.

On my old shooters I would bind SCROLLUP to one weapon and SCROLLDOWN to another, but just getting rid of it is crazy to me...

then again the only shooter I play anymore is TF2 so

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
once someone has it, please post whether the new mx518 has shorter left/right button travel than the old one

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

Press the button below the scroll wheel for a less sensitive wheel that gives feedback.

drat thanks that's perfect

K8.0 posted:

Found the actual problem. The solution is to stop using a tremendously terrible binding scheme. Trying to use input devices for tasks they're ill-suited to is a really bad idea.

what

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

emdash posted:

once someone has it, please post whether the new mx518 has shorter left/right button travel than the old one

It's manufactured using exactly the same tooling so the tolerances should be identical.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Thanks goo

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Goo posted:

It's manufactured using exactly the same tooling so the tolerances should be identical.

Will Logitech do a video walk-through of the tooling vault? It sounds pretty cool, I remember seeing Lego doing a video of their vault and it was neat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goo posted:

Goddamnit.

Not that it’s a bad thing but they could have made minor improvements.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They gotta give us the old thing, which is exactly what we asked for, first. Then, they give us a v2, with improvements, to soak us a second time for cash.

Because if they issue the tweaked version first, and it flops, they're out cash.

But if they issue the old MX518 in largely identical fashion, it's easy money for the making, then they can decide whether or not to work on an MX518-2 which may or may not bomb, but they're still making money off the old MX518s.

....god gently caress me, I have been in this industry way too long.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I just found the top buttons unreliable. Maybe try to make mouse1 and mouse2 clicker but that's really all they needed to do.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Otacon posted:

What do you use your mousewheel for in video games then?

Zoom in/out, where applicable.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Goddamnit.

Not that it’s a bad thing but they could have made minor improvements.

This is the path to making everyone at least a little mad. Specifically with something like the MX518, it's such an iconic mouse and doing *anything* with it is a great way of tarnishing the nostalgia that it brings.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tab8715 posted:

I just found the top buttons unreliable. Maybe try to make mouse1 and mouse2 clicker but that's really all they needed to do.

Those would be largely a function of the actual switches used, which I doubt that Logitech has changed, and the unibody design of the button + top cover, which is going to make left/right feel slightly squishier than they actually are. I suspect that's why Logitech eventually moved to separate left/right from the top cover when it came to the G-line.

It should still be the same product line of Omron switches, and therefore the same feel as before.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is the path to making everyone at least a little mad. Specifically with something like the MX518, it's such an iconic mouse and doing *anything* with it is a great way of tarnishing the nostalgia that it brings.

This is the correct answer. We didn't change anything but the color, sensor, MCU (to allow for onboard settings) and cable, because if we'd done enough "different" things it wouldn't have been an MX518 re-release. We wanted to make something specifically for people who are still using and asking for MX518 because they like it and haven't found anything to replace it. We'll see how this goes and use that information to help us make decisions about future product development.