Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

There's a number 8 on the bottom right wing of the butterfly.

Looks like the same circle + half circle that's on the business end of the fireplace poker near the bottom left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

Hey guys just clicked on this thread. Can anyone summarize up till now?

I can't type much right now because my wrist really hurts and it's cold outside but I'll do it in the summer (of 2069)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

Sort by Urban Smurf's posts. He basically does a summary of what everyone's thinking. It'll seem difficult to understand at first, but stick with it because it all comes together beautifully and is well worth the read.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 13, Verse 13

Thots and Prayers posted:

Looks like the same circle + half circle that's on the business end of the fireplace poker near the bottom left.

That is what was mentioned in the MysteriousWritings forum post about it. They were also speculating the "circle + half circle" is the astrological Taurus symbol.

Do we feel that is a deliberate similarity? If so, would we go so far as to think it's a Taurus symbol? Those are not rhetorical questions, anyone feel strongly about that either way?

The first thing I thought of when I saw the "business end of the fireplace poker" was how very similar it is to the hand of the clock in Image 7 (New Orleans), or at least, the deconstructed half(ish) of one of the hands. My first impressions was Image 13 is loaded with references, kind of like the gown being similar to Image 12 (New York) and the Butterfly being similar to Image 2 (Charleston), the BEOP (business end of poker) just seemed to be one of those and maybe not something I have given as much attention to in the initial sprint for answers, for that reason. In other words, it will definitely end up being the most important thing in the entire puzzle.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13, Verse ?

burnstyle posted:

Pretty sure you are using the wrong verse for that image. ;)

In other words, Your way has a twin means there is an existing verse that can (also?) be used to find the treasure once you are at/near the treasure ground?

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Fayez Butts posted:

Some dude hated public parks. To punish them he told everyone he buried treasure in a couple of parks.

For 40 years people have been destroying public parks because of this... making that mans plan a resounding success.

Few treasures have been found.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fayez Butts posted:

Goons went full Nicholas Cage from National Treasure on some old paintings. Nobody ever found poo poo. Thread has injokes about poster "Xie" who breathlessly blueballed the thread for like two years about how he solved a puzzle, wouldn't tell anyone the solve, and was going to dig any day now (he never did.)

Also seconding the suggestion to read Urban Smurf's posts. That gives you a good idea.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 27, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cobalt60 posted:

Sort by Urban Smurf's posts.

unironically this

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Alright, let me piss in this pot.

I think it's somewhere in the southwest. Monarch butterflies migrate through Arizona and New Mexico. That androgynous person could be a native american. The building resembles architecture found in older cities in the area, some of which are probably brick. The medium duty truck wheel hanging from the side of the building could represent a roadside junkyard, or I-40, which is kinda the backbone of the southern half of the country. And maybe the glow coming from the shoe is turquoise.

Lots of BLM land out there to bury poo poo.

E: there's an Anthony, NM directly across the state line from Anthony, TX, so there's some twins.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 27, 2019

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Any odds out there on the San Fran casque being dug up legit?

Instinct says no way, but there is always that rare possibility.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Alright, let me piss in this pot.

I think it's somewhere in the southwest. Monarch butterflies migrate through Arizona and New Mexico. That androgynous person could be a native american. The building resembles architecture found in older cities in the area, some of which are probably brick. The medium duty truck wheel hanging from the side of the building could represent a roadside junkyard, or I-40, which is kinda the backbone of the southern half of the country. And maybe the glow coming from the shoe is turquoise.

Lots of BLM land out there to bury poo poo.

E: there's an Anthony, NM directly across the state line from Anthony, TX, so there's some twins.

Great thoughts. If I may pick them apart, only because whatever stands might be a good clue. I really don't care where it is:

- There are monarch butterflies everywhere. 40+ states have funds allocated to conservation efforts. Six states list the Monarch as their official insect... SIX
- Native Americans were all over America
- Burnstyle posted an example and claimed the top of the wall mirrors a ton of homes in the American Southeast
- Trucks are everywhere
- Never noticed that glow before. That's interesting

Now let me argue against myself. This is in Santa Fe:

Across the street is the "Dragon Bar"

JM, the creator of the puzzle, just made an interesting post on the fb page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/permalink/1193251457511005/

It's ~6 of the "iconic buildings" hidden in the images of the original 12 puzzles. So we're obviously supposed to find an iconic building.

3M TA3 posted:

I want it to be true so bad. But, as you say, this is the same old song and dance we get all the time.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 27, 2019

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Matthew Sparks confirmed:
Brian Dewitt director of permits for SF parks and Rec - Gerald Gay had an appt monday, morning Ranger Stanly chow present - something was found and dug up in Golden Gate Park. waiting for confirmation from SF parks press department before further comment

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A doctor from France who has solved a dozen hunts in Europe flew over and dug.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...G1b70XAuj&ifg=1

Dustin,

Here is what I can confirm at this time:

- A box was found this past Monday, February 25th 2019 at the Verdi Statue in Golden Gate Park by a permitted digger and in the presence of a park ranger.

- We are currently in the process of confirming whether this is the treasure or not

- Once we confirm or disprove the finding, we will communicate it to the public.

Thanks,

Brian DeWitt

Property Manager, Property Management Division

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, I guess he could have made a plexiglass box, filled it with plaster, jumped on it a few times, then buried it the night before.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

So, I guess he could have made a plexiglass box, filled it with plaster, jumped on it a few times, then buried it the night before.

Well, our pal Dale insists it's a forgery. So...

Josh Cornell -- he managed to say Gerard is right! The most diplomatic thing he's ever said -- I think he found his meds! ...Then he went on to say it was his spot all along and he just missed it and then rambled with a super convoluted tour of San Francisco that ended with that spot... none of it made sense. But that's Josh.

I don't totally get the path yet -- but the location certainly screams giant pole, giant step. And that pole points right at the alleged spot.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Wouldn't this be super awkward if what they dug up was just an old pet burial for Giuseppe the cat who loved Verdi's music.

You're all thinking it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Yeah, I'd sure like to be walked through this particular Golden Gate "solve." I know GG well and can't quite see how the verse guides a reader to this particular spot behind the bandstand.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Thanks for the serious replies, guys!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

hahaha a fake treasure in a treasure hunt, what a way to go about getting famous

maybe xie was in on it guys

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 1, San Francisco

3M TA3 posted:

Seems legit based on the early news reports, but they are reporting he's from Paraguay, not France:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Someone in the 13th casque group has posted a picture saying it is fake, but I'm not a member so can't see it. Anyone repost it somewhere, please?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Someone in the 13th casque group has posted a picture saying it is fake, but I'm not a member so can't see it. Anyone repost it somewhere, please?

What 13th Casque group?

The only question now is, are the people who buried the fake in cahoots with the people who dug the fake, or were they acting independently?

Is this just some lame attempt by the park to shut down the case and stop meddling kids Scooby Doo style?

I think we have the REAL documentary starting right now. This is definitely a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top of the county parks department.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Merlot Brougham posted:

What 13th Casque group?

The only question now is, are the people who buried the fake in cahoots with the people who dug the fake, or were they acting independently.

Is this just some lame attempt by the park to shut down the case and stop meddling kids Scooby Doo style?

I think we have the REAL documentary starting right now. This is definitely a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top of the county parks department.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/

That one.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 1 / San Francisco

Does not really look at all like either of the two extant casques. This is what JM is reporting as having been dug up in San Francisco and confirmed fake:

E:

E2: I also have no explanation for these pictures being what appear to be a pristine "pre burial" photo spread of the caSK, either, which only fuels the intrigue.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 28, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hahahaha holy poo poo, best thing ever!

To recap what most likely happened:

- Someone makes a lovely fake cask and buries it some short time before they have a dig scheduled before the park.
- They create a persona of G. Gerart Gaycko or whatever, international treasure hunter and doctor from France
- They dig up the lovely cask

I am often filled with self-loathing for enjoying the mental illness tourism surrounding The Secret, as it doesn't help the stigma. But, wow, how am I not supposed to love this. How mentally ill do you have to be to pass that clay fleshlight looking thing as a real cask?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

JM, the creator of the puzzle, just made an interesting post on the fb page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/permalink/1193251457511005/

It's ~6 of the "iconic buildings" hidden in the images of the original 12 puzzles. So we're obviously supposed to find an iconic building.

We also obviously know the people who are meant to find it are going to be in an ever shrinking circle of those who have access to the new information and hints, perhaps, which have started 13 days in?

I wasn't aware of that post. I'll do my best to keep up and update this thread, and I'm glad you are doing the same. Maybe in the middle of all this someone can give Fayez Butts a serious answer to that inquiry

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 28, 2019

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Here's what's crazy. This dude has been planning this since OCTOBER. He came on q4t back then, introduced himself through google translate and said he'd be in San Francisco between Feb 22nd and Feb 25th to dig his proposed spot. Then he rolls back into q4t on Feb 14th, PMs me and says he's got his permit and wanted to talk Japanese hints to see how it matches, over dinner. I passed on the sweet date but told him good luck. For the record I didn't ask his spot and he didn't offer -- but did thank me for not asking. (I have all the PMs still, I'll probably post them up)

Then exactly on the date, he said he'd dig, he did. Except he's obviously a fraud, desperate for attention.

I know he read my PM congratulating him on q4t last night. I sent a follow-up this morning but he never read it. He was seen as signed on q4t today but after a few minutes he figured out the scam was discovered and he disappeared quietly with his tail between his legs.

It's sad really, to be so delusional as to think this would actually work.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Fayez Butts posted:

Thanks for the serious replies, guys!

Honestly, those replies were tongue-in-cheek but serious. They highlight pretty much the good stuff, otherwise it's all a bunch of really great theories that lead nowhere because Preiss couldn't focus enough on a 1foot-by-1foot solve area

Oh, also Burnstyle probably dug up the remnants of a pulverized cask. His solve was the best for NO and he found plexi and clay so I'll take it.

A 13th casque has been made and buried, check back the last few pages to see the puzzle. It's supposed to be worth $2500 in gems

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 28, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

We also obviously know the people who are meant to find it are going to be in an ever shrinking circle of those who have access to the new information and hints, perhaps, which have started 13 days in?

I wasn't aware of that post. I'll do my best to keep up and update this thread, and I'm glad you are doing the same. Maybe in the middle of all this someone can give Fayez Butts a serious answer to that inquiry

Yeah I'll post updates as I have to keep an eye on the thread anyway to make sure it's not getting poisoned by nutters. That new JM post was the first hint he's given and I got it up about 8 hours after it dropped.

A lot of the people who know the author of the puzzle personally are staying away from the hunt just in case they might have some unfair info.

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

And what was best case scenario? That he might get a gem worth ~$1,000 whose ownership is definitely in question, plus thirty seconds of appearing on the Travel Channel? It's so amazing, I hate that I sit there eating pocorn and hot buttered guilt, but how can I look away?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 28, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

Here's what's crazy. This dude has been planning this since OCTOBER. He came on q4t back then, introduced himself through google translate and said he'd be in San Francisco between Feb 22nd and Feb 25th to dig his proposed spot. Then he rolls back into q4t on Feb 14th, PMs me and says he's got his permit and wanted to talk Japanese hints to see how it matches, over dinner. I passed on the sweet date but told him good luck. For the record I didn't ask his spot and he didn't offer -- but did thank me for not asking. (I have all the PMs still, I'll probably post them up)

Then exactly on the date, he said he'd dig, he did. Except he's obviously a fraud, desperate for attention.

I know he read my PM congratulating him on q4t last night. I sent a follow-up this morning but he never read it. He was seen as signed on q4t today but after a few minutes he figured out the scam was discovered and he disappeared quietly with his tail between his legs.

That's the question I was asking. Are we sure this is the same perp hoaxing the entire thing from start to finish, or did he just happen across one of the (I would assume by now) several dummy casks that are out there waiting to be "discovered" just like this one?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

That's the question I was asking. Are we sure this is the same perp hoaxing the entire thing from start to finish, or did he just happen across one of the (I would assume by now) several dummy casks that are out there waiting to be "discovered" just like this one?

Note that the spot had been dug before by people who aren't totally crazy. I don't see why someone would go to the trouble of crafting a dummy cask then leave it in a spot that's already been dug

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

i read this thread a bunch of years ago thinking "oh some new weird gooniness" and now this is full blown Q level bullshit, wtf is going on here

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah I'll post updates as I have to keep an eye on the thread anyway to make sure it's not getting poisoned by nutters. That new JM post was the first hint he's given and I got it up about 8 hours after it dropped.

My commentary was not about how quickly you relayed the hint, it was about how quickly JM gave it. Maybe that was part of the plan all along.

I don't know if you remember any of the old goon "I buried a treasure" threads, where the OP would go through a very elaborate setup for a treasure hunt. There were a handful of very active people F5ing and as soon as anybody got the least bit stumped, clues started flying and the hand held walkthrough began even though the puzzles weren't ever really impossible. That's how I remember it at least.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Note that the spot had been dug before by people who aren't totally crazy. I don't see why someone would go to the trouble of crafting a dummy cask then leave it in a spot that's already been dug

Again, I would ask how many people know what has and has not been dug?

I would say 0% of the people who are "99% sure its here"

That leaves a lot of room for pranksters and marks, just saying.

No, you're right, it only makes sense that someone would go through the trouble of faking a cask so they could dig it up themselves, not plant it in an obvious spot for some chump to discover. Just depends on who is actually in cahoots with who.

Also, I would throw out my "The park did it to get people to quit trashing their land" conspiracy theory. We can all have a laugh tomorrow when Golden Gate Park or the SF Parks Department or whoever issues a statement that they are considering the cask uncovered and are no longer going to issue permits and bring the hammer down on anyone defacing their park.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 28, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Again, I would ask how many people know what has and has not been dug?

I would say 0% of the people who are "99% sure its here"

That leaves a lot of room for pranksters and marks, just saying.

No, you're right, it only makes sense that someone would go through the trouble of faking a cask so they could dig it up themselves, not plant it in an obvious spot for some chump to discover. Just depends on who is actually in cahoots with who.

Also, I would throw out my "The park did it to get people to quit trashing their land" conspiracy theory. We can all have a laugh tomorrow when Golden Gate Park or the SF Parks Department or whoever issues a statement that they are considering the cask uncovered and are no longer going to issue permits and bring the hammer down on anyone defacing their park.

That makes sense.

I also thought the hint was weirdly too soon. Especially because we're all already looking for hidden buildings.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

no pubes yet sorry posted:

i read this thread a bunch of years ago thinking "oh some new weird gooniness" and now this is full blown Q level bullshit, wtf is going on here

Unironically,, mental illness tourism at its finest.

What happened was last year Travel Channel aired a cool special about The Secret... as an episode of a show that's usually about chasing Ancient Alien Bigfoots. So the interest multiplied a hundred fold, mostly with people who lack the critical thinking skills and sanity to not believe ancient alien bigfoot conspiracy theories. We've got people denying the original cask was ever found, people using multiple paragraph examples just to say, "the things you can see matter," people screaming that they found all the casks in five minutes then posting on facebook pages literally 100 times an hour... It's a show of abnormality that would make PT Barnum jizz his pants

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 28, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I also thought the hint was weirdly too soon. Especially because we're all already looking for hidden buildings.

I guarantee he's paying far more attention to everything being said about the 13th Cask hunt than anyone who is working on finding the solution.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

I guarantee he's paying far more attention to everything being said about this hunt than anyone who is working on finding the solution.

I'd prefer the Preiss approach of waiting until we utterly can't find the dig site after several attempts in the right area, then give hints. We're going to find the building eventually, it's a damned iconic building

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'd prefer the Preiss approach of waiting until we utterly can't find the dig site after several attempts in the right area, then give hints. We're going to find the building eventually, it's a damned iconic building

I would too, but "it was a different time then you understand, 1983, 84." - Wallace "Suitcase" Jefferson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
I would like to take this moment to highlight that Dale was RIGHT.

Not about any of his totally insane claims about the casques he's found and reburied, but that todays insanity was a hoax.

Because he knows exactly where the San Francisco casque is. And he's coming for it this Spring. Remember his name because he will only divulge his secrets to a national audience. He's apparently written to "every director and studio" and so far none have gotten back to him... but they will!

DALE!