Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I remember vividly the first time I saw this strip as a kid because it filled me with terror on a level I had never experienced, even when I saw Robocop at the ripe age of 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven't gotten the full blown flu since I started getting an annual flu shot. I really like not throwing up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I haven't gotten sick in like 3 years. I blame riding the metro every workday.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I only get bronchitis or sinus infections from November through March.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vasudus posted:

My particular favorite part of all of this is the geopolitics of what's gonna happen when land dynamics greatly change. Montana/Wyoming/the Dakotas/Michigan UP/etc are going to be prime farm land in 2100. That also means a bunch of Canada is going to thaw and be prime farmland.

Guess what, fuckers: we're gonna take that land when it comes time. Just like every other country is going to go to war over farmland like it's 1099.

Ehhh, the temperature and rainfall in those areas (in aggregate, so ignoring the massive fluctuations which will ruin poo poo all on its own) might be what is needed for farmland as the temperate climate bands retreat towards the poles, but the soil is going to be really lovely for farming on the scale that is needed. If memory from high school AgSci is correct it takes about a century of highly active plant and animal life to make an inch of soil that can be washed away in one of the increasingly common massive rain storm events. So naturally we will respond with even more intensive fertilization and nitrogen fixation. Have fun with that.

Also plant growth on the high end of the CO2 predictions takes place crazy fast, but the nutrition gained from that growth goes through the loving floor as far as feeding populations is concerned.

There is basically no way you can imagine that climate change is not going to turbo gently caress civilization.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

We're shuffling and worldwide spreading flu antigens more homogenously than ever before so I bet flu A isn't gonna be quite a killer like that again unless we get a particularly distant crossover from another host that happens to spread easily in humans.

I'm always amazed at how little flu gets attention given its amazing bodycount from year to year.

E: my Black death lecture in class is fun as poo poo. I open up with "imagine the population of every state on the Atlantic coast dying in 5 years" and go from there.

Do you have a resource where I can learn why the plague outbreaks happened when they did?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Watch it turn out that the steady drumbeat of annual flu shots have conferred substantial immunity to the 1918 strain and nobody gets to fill the "flupocalypse" spot on their card.

My brother got chicken pox when we were kids and I somehow didn't despite being forced to bathe with him. Many years later I got the vintage 1920s poo poo from my great grandma's shingles.

Worse than death.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

sharknado slashfic posted:

Florida and Texas no longer being states would go a long way towards fixing the country at least

No gently caress you

Austin is good

Everyone that has kids now days is dumb. Why the gently caress would you want to do that to your credit rating? You don't even get a good tax break...gently caress i thought that my gf would get some kind of tax credit for paying child support since her oldest moved in with her dad but she owes 2gs this year instead of getting something back.

Children are bad for the environment and people should not have them.

So glad the Russian and Japanese populations are in decline.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Reign Of Pain posted:

No gently caress you

Austin is good

Not an empty quote. I grew up there so I'm biased, but the food music, culture, and art intersection is so wonderful in Austin. It feels like a wonderland, and you're missing out if you're shunning Texas because of the worst if it's people.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Counterpoint

Both Alex Jones and Andrew Wakefield live in Austin.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I am glad I have kids. I would likely be dead without them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1100184010561474560?s=19
Edit: gently caress it, wrong thread but have Juniper.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

I am glad I have kids. I would likely be dead without them.

I love my kids too, and all the more reason I'm fighting for the Green New Deal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 26, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

December 2004 was my last serious sickness of flu poo poo. Haven't had a flu shot since 2012 or so, I think. The secret is to stay the gently caress away from children.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Not an empty quote. I grew up there so I'm biased, but the food music, culture, and art intersection is so wonderful in Austin. It feels like a wonderland, and you're missing out if you're shunning Texas because of the worst if it's people.

I'm shunning Texas out of the Union because it elects Ted Cruz and votes Republican in the Presidential.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

December 2004 was my last serious sickness of flu poo poo. Haven't had a flu shot since 2012 or so, I think. The secret is to stay the gently caress away from children.

Get your flu shot, you rear end in a top hat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It helps to be in one of the blue counties of TX. Also goddamn is the food here good and cheap.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I usually get some upper respiratory crap once a year, even with a flu shot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy crap we are hosed.

*In extremely simpleton voice*: Hurr hurr well shucks I hate the cold anyway. *lives in the deep south*

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I get my shots every year. Even if they gently caress up the forecast and it isn’t as effective as it should be, you still get to carry that immunity to that strain forward for the rest of your life. If the numbers come up for something you’ve been exposed to/immunized against previously, well that’s just good fortune.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm shunning Texas out of the Union because it elects Ted Cruz and votes Republican in the Presidential.

san antonio is cool though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Love that loving boomers get to decide the fate of humanity :cripes:

Petition to rename them the worst generation?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I caught the flu this year. I spent a week feeling like poo poo and 6 weeks after waking myself up coughing phlegm but at least I didn't feel sick! Just perpetually tired

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Get your flu shot, you rear end in a top hat.

Maybe next year. I enjoy my casual death wish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe next year. I enjoy my casual death wish.

You are risking other people's live unknowingly. Please help support herd immunity in this time of need.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Reign Of Pain posted:

No gently caress you

Austin is good
Austin is literally the only american piece of texas left. The rest is just texan as poo poo. We should evac austin then give texas to mexico and let them finish what Santa Anna started at the alamo. Santa Anna, American Hero.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Because of where I've lived, all those crazy Hong Kong flu and Brisbane flu and all those strains that were offing people every where ain't poo poo.

But then some yokel from Idaho whose family hasn't left their home town in 7 generations has a sniffle and now I'm at death's door.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Neither had I then I got a bad cold followed up by norovirus a week after I recovered

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

last time i got super sick was norovirus when it stuck the rnc poo poo

fuckin sucked

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Florida and Texas no longer being states would go a long way towards fixing the country at least

They'll just migrate to other deep south shitholes that go reliably red and the numbers of democratic voters will be too dispersed to swing them purple, let alone blue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

They'll just migrate to other deep south shitholes that go reliably red and the numbers of democratic voters will be too dispersed to swing them purple, let alone blue.

Arizona, for example.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

Counterpoint

I haven't run into them yet but I'll post pics after I do :unsmigghh:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

san antonio is cool though

Yuuuuup....We went to Bohannons last weekend and I had a $125 40 oz. Porterhouse because gently caress paying the same for 9 oz. of A5. I did NOT drink the $260 a shot Japanese whiskey though I really wanted to.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bengy81 posted:

I think "The Water Knife" paints a pretty good picture of what the world will look like in 40 years.

Pump Six and Other Stories is a short story collection Paolo Bacigalupi wrote before TWK and has some stories set in the same setting, and almost all of the others are in similar settings. Very great collection.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I get my shots every year. Even if they gently caress up the forecast and it isn’t as effective as it should be, you still get to carry that immunity to that strain forward for the rest of your life. If the numbers come up for something you’ve been exposed to/immunized against previously, well that’s just good fortune.

I'm not calling you out, but is this actually true about lifetime immunization to that strain? I have never heard his and it's amazing if true.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MA-Horus posted:

Counterpoint

Every time I read about Andrew Wakefield I think of Rick Wakeman and get really confused.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was thinking so, based on my experience in an immunology class and a being pre-med major in general. None of the articles I’ve found back that up, though...and are only suggesting immunity of up to a year, if even that :( Depends on some things, but increase in age tends to run along with a decrease in immunity too.

I’m around enough kids volunteering at an aquarium that I’ll likely end up being exposed, and I don’t want to be the one who brings it home to my 88 year old grandmother so it can kill her, so I still get it every year regardless.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well, looks like we're invading.

https://twitter.com/DCoronell/status/1100193609423482880

Edit: yay https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1100213236664815617

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 26, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got pics of my SA meat if anyone wants to see it

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
All of the major cities in Texas are blue. And everybody hates the rednecks.

Also, I just got over my flu. A week of fever hallucinations and Technicolor body fluids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bernie’s been calling out trump and his supporters pretty much this entire Town Hall