Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ohhhh no. They got hella stank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Who's down for some Fremen showering ASMR

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, after days of pooping in your stillsuit in the deep desert, I imagine that the poo-jerky (all fiber, no water) was collected and used as fuel, turned into paper, etc. Maybe all those beautiful tapestries in jamis' house were made out of poo fiber :)
General Bullshit › [Dune Thread] [Thread about Frank Herbert's Dune] [cooking with poo-fiber]

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

kiimo posted:

When I first read Dune especially during the love scenes I am imagine that every freman who comes back from the desert at night takes off their stilsuit and steps into a pressure sealed water vapor blast shower that cleans them without wasting a drop. Other times I imagine their stilsuit was so effective in removing water that it also removed all impurities and kept people fresh and clean underneath. This is the only way I can not barf every time I think of what they smell like.

Sorry, the first three books mention specifically and on multiple occasions that sietches have a particular stank.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

When I first read Dune especially during the love scenes I am imagine that every freman who comes back from the desert at night takes off their stilsuit and steps into a pressure sealed water vapor blast shower that cleans them without wasting a drop. Other times I imagine their stilsuit was so effective in removing water that it also removed all impurities and kept people fresh and clean underneath. This is the only way I can not barf every time I think of what they smell like.

quote:

'A high price is demanded of any value, for a value is in itself a detachment! We wash away our sense of sin, and what does that bath secure us? Sin, shining bright and hard. In what does a Latin bathe? True dust. We have made the literal error. We have used water, we are thus too sharply reminded. A European gets out of bed with a disorder that holds the balance. The layers of his deed can be traced back to the last leaf and the good slug be found creeping. L' Echo de Paris and his bed sheets were run off the same press. One may read in both the travail life has had with him – he reeks with the essential wit necessary to the "sale" of both editions, night edition and day.

'Each race to its wrestling! Some throw the beast on the other side, with the stench of excrement, blood and flowers, the three essential oils of their plight! Man makes his history with the one hand and "holds it up" with the other.

'Oh, God, I am tired of this tirade. The French are disheveled, and wise, the American tries to approximate it with drink. It is his only clue to himself. He takes it when his soap has washed him too clean for identification. The Anglo-Saxon has made the literal error; using water, he has washed away his page. Misery melts him down by day, and sleep at night. His preoccupation with his business day has made his sleep insoluble.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kiimo posted:

You must overcome your cultural prejudices, kiimo, or you will surely feed the still.

They did presumably have some way to clean off in the sietch of course. I got the impression a lot of Fremen did not leave the sietch very often and would have seemed a lot more like 'regular folks,' just in their little enclosed habitat.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Well, apparently the smell didn't stop them fuckng like rabbits so.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A couple of things to keep in mind is that your sense of smell is adaptive and if you had to live in an odorous place to survive, your mind would begin ignoring the worst of it in short order and with time you might begin associating that smell with safety or normalcy and at that point you'll even come to enjoy it so uhh yeah they probably stank to an outsider but if you're an outsider in a sietch you have more to worry about than stank

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also in some arid regions of the world people scrub with dry textiles or scrape the skin, that seems to work ok.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
another thing im wondering is what do you think the Fremen smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Murray Mantoinette posted:

another thing im wondering is what do you think the Fremen smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha

i would like to smell them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

basic hitler posted:

A couple of things to keep in mind is that your sense of smell is adaptive and if you had to live in an odorous place to survive, your mind would begin ignoring the worst of it in short order and with time you might begin associating that smell with safety or normalcy and at that point you'll even come to enjoy it so uhh yeah they probably stank to an outsider but if you're an outsider in a sietch you have more to worry about than stank

And a lot of people in real life did spend a lot of time bathing not much more than the Fremen do. Sometimes out of choice.

That said, it seems a bit easy to exaggerate how stingy Fremen can be with water, at least within the Sietches or in low-stress locations, since they have recreational drinks and even alcohol. (flavoured with Spice of course)

Still find it funny that Subnautica has a Stillsuit, on a planet which is almost the opposite of Arrakis but still one where fresh water is a valuable commodity. Also there's lots of giant serpentine alien creatures that want to eat you.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So when the book describes a crowd in Arrakeen parting to let a deep-desert Fremen through, it's not out of respect or fear but because they smell so bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kull wahad!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Well, that changes the story the old Fremen tells in the second book about the first time he swims in the ocean.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Remember also that "the city" on dune Huddles against a cliff face to guard against wind, and is at the polar ice caps. The entire Imperial apparatus is within the equivalent of the Arctic circle. Water is mined from the caps that shrink and grow with the seasons.

Even the spice is mined from within this water rich environment. The high levels of moisture mean only the smallest worms can live there. Only the Fremen go out past the shield wall and most people believe they only hang around the outside of it. This is why the population was so severely underestimated.

Edit: confused my terminology

exmachina fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 25, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

Remember also that "the city" on dune Huddles against a cliff face to guard against wind, and is at the polar ice caps. The entire Imperial apparatus is within the equivalent of the Arctic circle. Water is mined from the caps that shrink and grow with the seasons.

Even the spice is mined from within this water rich environment. The high levels of moisture mean only the smallest worms can live there. Only the Fremen go out past the shield wall and most people believe they only hang around the outside of it. This is why the population was so severely underestimated.

Edit: confused my terminology
I assume you're talking about Arrakeen, but Piter mentions Carthag (the Harkonnen stronghold) - later on, it's even mentioned that Arrakeen is smaller than Carthag. I think there's at least one more city mentioned? I might've been thinking of Harko on Geidi Prime.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 25, 2019

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
By the way, who was ruling the planet for the Harkonnen before the events of Dune? I can't recall whether that was mentioned. Was it Rabban?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

u brexit ukip it posted:

By the way, who was ruling the planet for the Harkonnen before the events of Dune? I can't recall whether that was mentioned. Was it Rabban?
Count Hasimir Fenring, although he might have ruled partially in absentia (ie. from Kaitain) - I got the impression that Lady Margot Fenring spends more time there, since she's the one who appears to have the conservatory, where she leaves the message for Jessica, made.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 25, 2019

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Fenring was the emperor's agent on arrakis and lived in the governor's mansion in arrakeen, I don't think he ever worked for the harkonnens (whose seat of government was in carthag).

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
We need a Dune smiley. Maybe an eye pop with the eyes of the Ibad.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dune Chronicles edition by Centipede Press:

“Probably August or September. $395 at least.”

:eyepop:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

D. Ebdrup posted:

I assume you're talking about Arrakeen, but Piter mentions Carthag (the Harkonnen stronghold) - later on, it's even mentioned that Arrakeen is smaller than Carthag. I think there's at least one more city mentioned? I might've been thinking of Harko on Geidi Prime.

I mean that with the exception of the sandrider test and the water of life scene, almost everything in the book happens inside the 'artic circle' of arrakis.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Temaukel posted:

It'll sell out in hours, too. Hell the Elric set he did sold out before it was actually announced because someone stumbled on the link and passed it around.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
We already discussed the Fremen smelling horrible. I myself am quite proud of my description.
But yeah. it's occurred to me just now that we're extremely lucky that the bits about orgies and seitch-stank in books 1-3 weren't written by the weirder and hornier Frank of books 5-6.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

As if they need asparagus. Whenever they talked about people taking off their suits or breathing in the "smells of the sietch," it just made me think of the smell my middle school classrooms, where the 5th grade boys would just keep their reeking gym clothes in their under-desk cubbyholes. But with more rear end and balls and orgy mist.

Remember that even when they started jihading other worlds, immersing yourself in water was viewed with extreme suspicion by their chaplains, so I can only assume they didn't all start bathing when they went to more water rich worlds.
-------

And speaking of the glowing blue eyes, shouldn't most characters have them? Like, they mention the Guild guys hiding them with contact lenses, but what's even the point? Just about anyone who's "important" would be using spice, including all Guild members (Edric, too. And god I hope they insert a final stage Navigator into movie 1 just to see Villeneuve's take on them).

At the very least, everyone on Dune would have them, right? If there's so much latent Spice in the air that regular civilians are slightly latently psychic re: the Tarot cards, they should have glowing eyes too. It should be like World of Warcraft where you're a weirdo if you don't have some sort of magic glowy eyes.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There was talk about rich smugglers eating a lot of off world food to counter the effect

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

We already discussed the Fremen smelling horrible.

They just use a lot of tea tree oil or something. 'Essential Desert Essence'

it hasn't even been a page yet, must I repost

quote:

'A high price is demanded of any value, for a value is in itself a detachment! We wash away our sense of sin, and what does that bath secure us? Sin, shining bright and hard. In what does a Latin bathe? True dust. We have made the literal error. We have used water, we are thus too sharply reminded. A European gets out of bed with a disorder that holds the balance. The layers of his deed can be traced back to the last leaf and the good slug be found creeping. L' Echo de Paris and his bed sheets were run off the same press. One may read in both the travail life has had with him – he reeks with the essential wit necessary to the "sale" of both editions, night edition and day.

'Each race to its wrestling! Some throw the beast on the other side, with the stench of excrement, blood and flowers, the three essential oils of their plight! Man makes his history with the one hand and "holds it up" with the other.

'Oh, God, I am tired of this tirade. The French are disheveled, and wise, the American tries to approximate it with drink. It is his only clue to himself. He takes it when his soap has washed him too clean for identification. The Anglo-Saxon has made the literal error; using water, he has washed away his page. Misery melts him down by day, and sleep at night. His preoccupation with his business day has made his sleep insoluble.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And speaking of the glowing blue eyes, shouldn't most characters have them? Like, they mention the Guild guys hiding them with contact lenses, but what's even the point? Just about anyone who's "important" would be using spice, including all Guild members (Edric, too. And god I hope they insert a final stage Navigator into movie 1 just to see Villeneuve's take on them).

At the very least, everyone on Dune would have them, right? If there's so much latent Spice in the air that regular civilians are slightly latently psychic re: the Tarot cards, they should have glowing eyes too. It should be like World of Warcraft where you're a weirdo if you don't have some sort of magic glowy eyes.
The books never say it glows, I think, just that eventually it gets into your sclera too. I think that requires you to be megadosing, which means you're either Guild or Fremen.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

The books never say it glows, I think, just that eventually it gets into your sclera too. I think that requires you to be megadosing, which means you're either Guild or Fremen.

They even describe many times how dark the eyes look with their blue within blue hue, specially under the yellow glowglobe light of the sietches

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Guild guys are hiding their eyes because they're pretending to be middlemen, but are actually high ranking navigators. Their eyes would betray them, and the fact that they are not there as neutral observers with nothing much to lose.

I'm interested to see what they do with the eyes. A strict interpretation would mean most of the characters end up looking like Sam Weber's painting of Alia:

With maybe a bit more deep blue saturation. Everyone looking like demons might not play very well, though. I'm sure some background Fremen will have very dark eyes (and Piter, maybe) but I imagine for the leads they'll tone it down so they can still look sympathetic and expressive.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The Guild guys are hiding their eyes because they're pretending to be middlemen, but are actually high ranking navigators. Their eyes would betray them, and the fact that they are not there as neutral observers with nothing much to lose.

I'm interested to see what they do with the eyes. A strict interpretation would mean most of the characters end up looking like Sam Weber's painting of Alia:

With maybe a bit more deep blue saturation. Everyone looking like demons might not play very well, though. I'm sure some background Fremen will have very dark eyes (and Piter, maybe) but I imagine for the leads they'll tone it down so they can still look sympathetic and expressive.

Paul-Muad'Dib by John Schoenherr, from The Illustrated Dune:

He also made my favourite rendition of the palace at Arrakeen:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 26, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Was that inspired by the Shroud of Turin or something

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"I can envision no more perfect visual representation of my Dune world than John Schoenherr's careful and accurate illustrations." -Frank Herbert.

Here are some other scans of the edition illustrated by Schoenherr:

http://ski-ffy.blogspot.com/2010/08/illustrated-dune.html

The Defeat Of The Sardaukar:

Paul Adminsters The Oath Of The Fedaykin:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

Paul Adminsters The Oath Of The Fedaykin:

This is dope as hell.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Actually the ornithopters are literally helicopters

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It’s in the dune encyclopedia. Look it up

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

Well, they finally found a book I’ll drop four hundo on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prolonged Priapism posted:

HOLY poo poo :stwoon:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Actually the ornithopters are literally helicopters

Ornithopter is not a concept made up by Herbert:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithopter

wait, were you joking? i cant tell.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU