Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I finally caved and bought the Warlord and, as someone who hasn't played 4E, I am totally seeing why people here leaned more toward Valor Bard as the Warlord approximation.

One thing I find particularly neat are all the different uses for the command dice. Depending on the stratagem, they can be used as damage on a miss, disadvantage on attackers, a (usually) lower power Shield that goes on top of your attack, etc.

I think right now the ones I have eyes on most of all are the Daring Gambler and Supreme Tactician. I have a player who is running a Barbarian who was considering multiclassing into which I don't think synergizes particularly well, outside of the themes of the character, but that Gambler would probably be best for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Am I right in reading that bladelocks can Eldritch Smite with a gun?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kaysette posted:

Can’t wait to buy the next book that is a rehash of old greyhawk modules and updates to their pathetic UA ship combat rules:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/24/dungeons-and-dragons-ghosts-of-saltmarsh/

The crazy thing about this one is that they decided to do Saltmarsh + 3 random Dungeon magazine adventures that happen to be on islands, and didn't include the Isle of Dread.

i realise you've been waiting 27 years for this extremely compelling encounter with 300+ skeletons to come back

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Danger Diabolik posted:

I lost the conversation, so I have no idea what you're talking about or looking at, but the answer is hell yes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Danger Diabolik posted:

You can only Eldritch Smite with your Pact Weapon and mundane guns cannot be Pact Weapons RAW. Magic guns are fine, though.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Toshimo posted:

You can only Eldritch Smite with your Pact Weapon and mundane guns cannot be Pact Weapons RAW. Magic guns are fine, though.

Oh yeah, I forgot that the ranged weapon needed to be magic to be a pact weapon (I don't have the books with me). Theoretically couldn't a forge cleric use Blessing of the Forge to arm an army of Bladelock archers one at a time then?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Trying to understand logical mechanical reasons people find the warlord overpowered is an excuse in futility. "It's overpowered" is simply the easiest and laziest way to dismiss something you dislike.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Saltmash details have been posted on the site. http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/ghosts-saltmarsh

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I will never understand why they don't line up their 1st party adventure books with their existing tiers of play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Probably cause 1 to 11 does not sound as good as 1 to 12.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It'd be super cool if they released an adventure book from like 5-16 instead of 1-12. The low levels are a grind when every campaign starts at level 1, and there are already plenty of adventures that cover starting characters to bridge into a bigger campaign.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

It'd be super cool if they released an adventure book from like 5-16 instead of 1-12. The low levels are a grind when every campaign starts at level 1, and there are already plenty of adventures that cover starting characters to bridge into a bigger campaign.

This times a thousand. I’d really like to cast an 8th level spell someday

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dungeon of the Mad Mage is for levels 5 to 20.

Speaking of which my party just went through their first session of it today. They picked a fight with too many goblins and bugbears resulting in one of the parties death, and the rest retreating back to the Yawning Portal.

This is the first time the group had tasted bitter defeat in a long time. But I can see how it happened. Party is not super balanced and has no AoE which would have been amazing against the goblins.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
DMM is crap and 1-11 is still wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

DMM is crap and 1-11 is still wrong.

Whats wrong with DMM in your opinion?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Anyone have an opinion on any of the Adventurers League modules? the DDAL ones, preferably any from Season 7 (Tomb of Annihilation). My group is starting a Ravnica campaign but the DM is in the middle of a move that's taking longer than she expected so she's not quite ready and I've been tasked with preparing a one shot of some kind. I thought it would be cool to let most of them keep playing their characters from the Tomb campaign we just finished, but there's like 7 of these modules for levels 11-16 (I told them they could level up to 12).

e: I'll probably make edits to the encounters and stuff anyway, just asking if there are any that have really stuck out in anyone's mind.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

xiw posted:

The crazy thing about this one is that they decided to do Saltmarsh + 3 random Dungeon magazine adventures that happen to be on islands, and didn't include the Isle of Dread.

Presumably that is because they licenced Isle of Dread to Goodman Games. That might have been a weird decision, given how long this book has been in the works, but 5E's whole philosophy is basically weird decisions.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Mr. Humalong posted:

Anyone have an opinion on any of the Adventurers League modules? the DDAL ones, preferably any from Season 7 (Tomb of Annihilation). My group is starting a Ravnica campaign but the DM is in the middle of a move that's taking longer than she expected so she's not quite ready and I've been tasked with preparing a one shot of some kind. I thought it would be cool to let most of them keep playing their characters from the Tomb campaign we just finished, but there's like 7 of these modules for levels 11-16 (I told them they could level up to 12).

e: I'll probably make edits to the encounters and stuff anyway, just asking if there are any that have really stuck out in anyone's mind.

Look at Lich-Queen's Begotten by M.T Black, should be everything you are looking for.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dungeon of the Mad Mage is for levels 5 to 20.

Speaking of which my party just went through their first session of it today. They picked a fight with too many goblins and bugbears resulting in one of the parties death, and the rest retreating back to the Yawning Portal.

This is the first time the group had tasted bitter defeat in a long time. But I can see how it happened. Party is not super balanced and has no AoE which would have been amazing against the goblins.

Oh man, please keep posting about your experiences. I'm also in a DMM campaign, recently started, just a bit ahead of you (we explored half (?) of floor 1 before getting a compelling reason to go to floor 2 early) so I'm interested in hearing how other parties deal with stuff. My party has me as a goblin cleric so most encounters with goblins tend to devolve into killing whoever is their boss for the moment and me convincing the enemy goblins to stop fighting.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
So, I just got roped into the whole 5e thing because the GM wanted to take a break and another decided to run it. Playing a Monk right now, but the rest of the party are all magic users from wizard, sorcerer, and warlock.

So, I take it since once they start casting fireballs I'll be regulated to party mule? Aside from Elemental Path any interesting Monk subclasses I should consider?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ramba Ral posted:

So, I just got roped into the whole 5e thing because the GM wanted to take a break and another decided to run it. Playing a Monk right now, but the rest of the party are all magic users from wizard, sorcerer, and warlock.

So, I take it since once they start casting fireballs I'll be regulated to party mule? Aside from Elemental Path any interesting Monk subclasses I should consider?

Monks own and are the stun lockdown masters.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Ramba Ral posted:

Elemental Path is specifically the one you should be avoiding. Pretty much all the other subclasses have something neat about them. Shadow lets you play as a ninja, Open Palm and Long Death get some neat abilities, Sun Soul lets you be the closest approximation to Goku.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ramba Ral posted:

Monks don't get as many tricks as a spellcaster but the tricks they get are pretty drat good tricks (except for Four Elements, which is insanely bad). Rather than expect to become the party mule, you're going to end up becoming a Stunning Strike bot though. Because Stunning Strike is absolutely insane. Shadow is if you want to be a Ninja Monk, Long Death if you want to basically literally never die so long as you have Ki left, Open Hand for the vanilla yet probably most powerful option and Sun Soul if you wanna become Goku.

Kensei is another path that has some issues, especially at low levels, and it weirdly loses flavor as it levels up. Don't recommend it much. Drunken Master is... Odd. It can be good sometimes but it requires some rather specific situations. I'd say for a first timer stick to Open Hand, Sun Soul or Long Death, personally.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I saw a level 9 monk survive 10 fireballs to the face last week without a scratch because of dodge, evasion, and lucky. That was pretty dope.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I remember reading or hearing from some interview about Tales from the Yawning portal is that they know most campaigns never continue past level 10 and they want to make sure there’s content for all levels (up to a point) so your dm can work in any official module into his campaign at any point.

Ramba Ral posted:

Tell them to carry their own poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Numlock posted:

they know most campaigns never continue past level 10

This feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh man, please keep posting about your experiences. I'm also in a DMM campaign, recently started, just a bit ahead of you (we explored half (?) of floor 1 before getting a compelling reason to go to floor 2 early) so I'm interested in hearing how other parties deal with stuff. My party has me as a goblin cleric so most encounters with goblins tend to devolve into killing whoever is their boss for the moment and me convincing the enemy goblins to stop fighting.

Sure thing.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Probably, though I get it it.

I’ve been DMing a AiME game for almost a year (with some breaks) now and I’m ready to wrap it up and do something else. My players are at Level 6, will probably hit 7 before the final fight with the “Not a ring wraith but similar” big bad of the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Realistically, a 12-20 campaign book doesn't have to be harder or more complicated to make than something that goes 3-11. Level 20 doesn't have to be "Help us or the world as we know it is destroyed" because those are still just mechanical numbers. You can make any narrative a threat by adjusting numbers in the background. I would say that the anemic release schedule precludes higher level content but I don't think previous editions had much in that way either.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Toshimo posted:

I think the deeper cultural explanation is that most groups expect games to start at level 1, and the average campaign only lasts three or four sessions anyways before real life gets in the way and everything goes tumbling down, so campaigns that start at 1 rarely make it past level 5. The biggest demand for high level content probably comes from people who are tired of rehashing the same early levels over and over, so by definition we're a minority of players and therefore a minority of sales. For the casual players that make up the majority of the playerbase, the main interest comes from campaigns that start from the bottom and work their way up, so that's where the content is.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

lightrook posted:

I think the deeper cultural explanation is that most groups expect games to start at level 1, and the average campaign only lasts three or four sessions anyways before real life gets in the way and everything goes tumbling down, so campaigns that start at 1 rarely make it past level 5. The biggest demand for high level content probably comes from people who are tired of rehashing the same early levels over and over, so by definition we're a minority of players and therefore a minority of sales. For the casual players that make up the majority of the playerbase, the main interest comes from campaigns that start from the bottom and work their way up, so that's where the content is.
That's not really much deeper. There's no reason casual players would be opposed to starting at level 3 instead of level 1 after casually playing D&D 5E for 5 years. There's a good reason new players would prefer starting at level 1.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kaysette posted:

I saw a level 9 monk survive 10 fireballs to the face last week without a scratch because of dodge, evasion, and lucky. That was pretty dope.

Monks are extremely good at dealing with enemy spellcasters, especially if they are running a concentration spell: evade the damage, move really fast to get up to them, and deliver a bunch of attacks coupled with Stunning Fist when you hit. And you're tough enough that if that doesn't work, you can stand there and give the rogue a sneak attack on the caster instead of darting back out again.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Toshimo posted:

The biggest problem with level 10+ is scheduling.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lightrook posted:

How about they just issue a 10 or so page free supplement on creating start-of-tier characters for T2/T3? Then, people can just consult that and roll up characters in the "fun level range" and also they can make products for higher tier play.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

lightrook posted:

It's absolutely this. It's expected both that you'll start the game "from the beginning," and that leveling is supposed to not be very fast, and so you end up with the perception that every game is supposed to be this long drawn out epic, and that's...just not really doable in the modern hellworld we're all stuck in. And even if it WERE doable to maneuver the vanishingly few non-work hours you have left to coincide with that of your group, expecting the same game to just continue to be the same enjoyment, for years plural, every single time, is likewise a little silly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I feel like high level modules is kind of a waste of effort? Like, after a certain point, the players have such strong abilities and spells that you can't have much structure.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Higher levels are poorly balanced, because of less focus by developers, because there are fewer games played in those levels, because there's a lack of interest in those levels, because higher levels are poorly balanced.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Having just finished running a game for level 16 characters, I can say that all of my planning devolved quickly into calvinball even without 9th level magic.

I would have appreciated high level modules to crib from, though.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Higher levels are poorly balanced, because of less focus by developers, because there are fewer games played in those levels, because there's a lack of interest in those levels, because higher levels are poorly balanced.
I want to empty quote this so bad.

All it would take is putting "tier-defining" exploration/social abilities in enough classes that normal groups will always have some of them. Divination abilities that pick up investigation dead ends, long-distance travel abilities to get into impossible strongholds, mind control/disguise abilities to infiltrate hellworlds, defensive tricks to bypass unstoppable deathtraps... and giving them to non-wizards, ideally giving them to non-spellcasters. Rangers and druids can teleport via leylines. Paladins and Clerics and Bards and Rogues can get guidance to Legend Lore the macguffin/villain. Warlocks and Barbarians have get-out-of-death-free cards because their patrons/totems/ancestors won't release them from their pacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Also, to be honest, I suspect there just isn't even close to there being as much interest in the higher levels as there is for the lower levels. I would wager the vast majority of players overall really don't want to play the Weird Wizard Show that D&D always turns into, despite what some really loud nerds like to proclaim a lot on the internet.

But then, if we follow that path, we arrive at "most players don't actually want the dungeon crawling highly mechanical combat focused game that D&D is, they just end up there and modify the game until it's no longer the same game at all, but still just call it D&D."