Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The gently caress?

somebody doesn't want to ride that chocobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

I admire 13-2 if only for the scene where you’re stuck in an endless loop with four dialogue options and the correct one is to scream at Hope through time.

13-2 embraces the utter stupidity of its setting and I respect it for that.
Much like FF8 is the most logically consistent time travel story told, 13-2 has the least consistent and just runs with it.

All the conversations involving the word paradox are really good. Wish it played better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A Yuel that constantly shitposts.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dragonatrix posted:

A Yuel that constantly shitposts.

A Yuel tide.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Final Fantasy VIII New Threat has been released! Disk 1 anyway
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18635.0

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So the latest port of FF12, coming to xbox and switch, has new features:

You can reset character's jobs and change them for seemingly no cost!
There are now multiple gambit profiles so you can easily switch between different setups!
NG+ now allows you to carry over all your items!

Wtf I want this poo poo for the pc version

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nice to see they're still fracturing the extras between versions.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MMF Freeway posted:

There are now multiple gambit profiles so you can easily switch between different setups!

Hopefully they patch these into the ps4 version since I still haven't started mine yet

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy VIII New Threat has been released! Disk 1 anyway
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18635.0
The changes to junctioning and magic sound...

interesting. Not necessarily good, just... interesting. I appreciate making 'using magic' more valid of a playstyle, but part of the draw of FF8's battle system (at least to me) was the whole cost-benefit analysis of hucking a ball of fire.

The change to limits is good, I didn't really see the point previously in just getting to low health and mashing 'skip' until you can use a limit. Either give it to me always, or make it explicitly conditional.

GF affinity being a use-it-and-lose-it affair sounds like right after they 'fixed' magic, they decided to gently caress GFs. They already weren't useful endgame - now they're even more explicitly not useful without intentionally working on raising affinity?

I might have to finally get FF8 on PC just to try this out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MMF Freeway posted:

I quite enjoy Ff12 but NG+, who finishes the slog of the end dungeons and says "I want to play again?"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bruceski posted:

I quite enjoy Ff12 but NG+, who finishes the slog of the end dungeons and says "I want to play again?"

I have played FFXII from start to finish at least twice. I would probably do it again if they update the PS4 version

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've also played FF12 multiple times and while Pharos obviously sucks rear end I generally like the endgame stuff. I wouldn't do a NG+ playthrough anyways though.

The free job swapping is actually a pretty big change since you don't have to so painstakingly plan out your party knowing they will be locked in forever

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII is very lenient but its also fricking huge so changing jobs every once in a while would definitely improve the experience

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably not the best idea, but I want to give the DS Final Fantasy III (on Steam) a shot after I am done with IX (at Memoria so end game). I grabbed the hud mod that has a less grind version so that should help out a lot. I know this game still has issues, but going to be played along with my almost complete ongoing save in FF13 (just beat the jerk in the tower in Gran Pulse last time I played last month).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Keep the thread posted on if the mods you use are good. You prolly know this but the FF3 remake is like FF4DS in that it makes the original game harder in ways that aren't necessarily mindful and feels more like a thing for veterans of the game than a good first experience, except worse because the changes they made were dumber and FF3 isn't as good as FF4 in the first place

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

Probably not the best idea, but I want to give the DS Final Fantasy III (on Steam) a shot after I am done with IX (at Memoria so end game). I grabbed the hud mod that has a less grind version so that should help out a lot. I know this game still has issues, but going to be played along with my almost complete ongoing save in FF13 (just beat the jerk in the tower in Gran Pulse last time I played last month).

As somebody who has only played FF3D on Steam 1 & 1/4 time and never touched the original, I liked it. Not great but I had fun. Some really cool music, Red Mages are badass, what more could I ask for.

Dark Knight sucks though. You won't be getting it for a while but its only benefit is using HP you don't have. You want to be as close to full HP as possible at all times so the Dark Knight having a skill that drains HP for extra damage is pretty poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just add a steal gambit you fuckers SE!!! Whatever gonna buy it anyway.

As for FF3DS that games faults are its underlying combat mechanics are terrible in that you lack the control necessary to plan for anything so the optimal solution to every fight is "get lucky"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rirse posted:

Less grinding is only going to solve one of the many flaws in FF3DS. It's bad.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF3 (in all versions) has a weird core design problem where it has mechanics to discourage you from frequently changing jobs, a thing the DS version was even harsher about, despite the fact that much of the challenge is solving which job(s) you're "supposed" to use for a given boss or dungeon. It just feels bad, and it rewards prior knowledge.

It's a really strange choice, especially in the remake (in light of FF5 and FFT being awesome job system games that don't penalize you for switching at all).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It not only punishes you for switching jobs, HP growth is permanent across all jobs but not all jobs get the same HP on level up so if you dont want a horribly crippled caster you need to be switching them constantly which makes them terrible due to stat down or, if you need to maximize it, grind to the point where you wont gain a level grinding their stat down from job switching then beat the boss and repeat the process.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also ff3 doesn't have job exp, it just operates on a level gain every X actions taken, plus there's a cap on level gain in a fight. This means raising a new job to parity takes the same amount of time every time you do it no matter what

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
furthermore ff3 has weapon proficiency exp that determines both damage and number of hits, so if you ever switch weapon types on a character, they'll be completely crippled

knightswords are separate from swords and darkswords, naturally

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FF3 is a really bad game that is mechanical growing pains to get ot FF5, the first actual job class game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

furthermore ff3 has weapon proficiency exp that determines both damage and number of hits, so if you ever switch weapon types on a character, they'll be completely crippled

I know for a fact this isn't true for the original version and I'm pretty certain it isn't for the DS one either. Are you sure you're not thinking of another game?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

gently caress

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

That was the second game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

I know for a fact this isn't true for the original version and I'm pretty certain it isn't for the DS one either. Are you sure you're not thinking of another game?

Scalding Coffee posted:

That was the second game.

it's called Melee Proficiency

code:
For attacks other than Archery and Harps, the calculation is as follows:

Number of Hits = 1 + Agility / 7 + JobLV / 14 + (Melee Proficiency. - 1) / 7 -
                 Wt. of Equipment / 6

- This is calculated once per hand.
- Maximum hits is 16 per hand, but actually it works like damage; The number of
  hits can go beyond 16 per hand. However, you will only see 16 (one hand) or
  32 (both hands) on screen.

For Archery attacks:

Number of hits = 1 + Agility / 9 + JobLV / 14 + (Sum of both Melee Prof. - 2)
                 / 14

For Harp attacks:

Number of hits = 1 + Agility / 6 + JobLV / 22 + (Sum of both Melee Prof. - 2)
                 / 14
code:
 For every 33 attacks your melee proficiency will increase by +1. (each arm
 levels up separately)  For bows and harps, they level up at the same time.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ff9's fun tale of adventure with colorful characters certainly takes a turn rather early :smithfrog:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

That makes more sense.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i wanna play romancing saga 2 again maybe

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

code:
For attacks other than Archery and Harps, the calculation is as follows:

Number of Hits = 1 + Agility / 7 + JobLV / 14 + (Melee Proficiency. - 1) / 7 -
                 Wt. of Equipment / 6

- This is calculated once per hand.
- Maximum hits is 16 per hand, but actually it works like damage; The number of
  hits can go beyond 16 per hand. However, you will only see 16 (one hand) or
  32 (both hands) on screen.

For Archery attacks:

Number of hits = 1 + Agility / 9 + JobLV / 14 + (Sum of both Melee Prof. - 2)
                 / 14

For Harp attacks:

Number of hits = 1 + Agility / 6 + JobLV / 22 + (Sum of both Melee Prof. - 2)
                 / 14
code:
 For every 33 attacks your melee proficiency will increase by +1. (each arm
 levels up separately)  For bows and harps, they level up at the same time.

OK based on a google search it looks like this was a DS only thing? And also it's completely hidden from the player? What the gently caress SE :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

OK based on a google search it looks like this was a DS only thing? And also it's completely hidden from the player? What the gently caress SE :psyduck:

FF3DS is one of the worst designed games of all time and that is not hyperbole.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 26, 2019

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

Hey now, FF3DS functions on a basic level.

But yeah, Hiromichi Tanaka has ideas about game design. Mostly bad ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id put bugs, poor hit detection, missing level triggers, and other issues of execution in a different category. This is a case where the pure theoretical design is bad at every turn and was done on purpose.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

i wanna play romancing saga 2 again maybe

I'll allow it.

Barudak posted:

Id put bugs, poor hit detection, missing level triggers, and other issues of execution in a different category. This is a case where the pure theoretical design is bad at every turn and was done on purpose.

Tanaka was also responsible for FF11 and FF14 1.0. I really don't trust that man when it comes to game design.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Barudak posted:

Well, it was developed by Matrix Software who probably peaked with their first game (Alundra) in 1997. They were also the co-developer of The After Years and made those ugly-rear end phone/PC ports of V and VI amongst other things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Matrix port of FF5 is infuriating because they got rid of a lot of nice tricks for challenge runs. In particular, you can't really cheese Omniscient anymore because even at 0MP he can still cast Reset, and a couple other ways to deal with him (Mage Masher Silence proc, and possibly Berserking him) don't work either. There's something clever about using non-mages to take down the magic boss, but I guess we can't have that...!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Speaking of TAY, when it got brought up in a discord I was in, I finally decided to go look at who was responsible for this train wreck.

I was expecting Takashi Tokita to be someone unrelated, or potentially someone completely new to the scene, but no. His credits include " Lead game designer and scenario writer" for FF4, and more astoundingly to me, Directoral credit on Chrono Trigger and Live a Live the latter of which he also wrote the scenario for and did the event design for.

I guess this is a case of a talented director essentially petering out. He does mention the episodic nature of TAY was directly inspired by his work on Live a Live. But man, it really felt like this game was made by someone who didn't have a clue.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

good news! he's working on Tokyo RPG Factory's "new" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tokyo Factory Presents: Lost Setsuna