Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

honestly even if Telltale hadn't fall, they wouldn't have carry on given they crawled up their own rear end about Story games since TWD S1 became such a mega hit, to the point where they seem to retroactively claim it's their first big game despite Tales of Monkey Island and the Sam & Max series doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Didn't Telltale also start a Bone series that never got finished?

I think Sam & Max could be trusted to the Kingdom/West of Loathing Dudes, though I dunno if they'd do something like that.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
The last I saw he isn't looking at making anymore games. He is working with boss fight studio for figures.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Spider-Verse comes up with the win for Best Animated Feature.

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1099859388498509824

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kefkafloyd posted:

I am absolutely shocked that Incredibles 2 didn't win. I had something (soft) ready to throw at my TV and everything.

[Edit: don't want to double post but instead of showing new footage of The CGIon King at the Oscars Disney aired literally the same trailer they ran during that random football game that's all shot-for-shot recreations of the original movie]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 25, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm less happy Into the Spider-verse won and more just really thrilled Incredibles 2 lost.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I'm less happy Into the Spider-verse won and more just really thrilled Incredibles 2 lost.

Both here, but absolutely

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Disney/Pixar got a win with Bao (in Animated short) but Bao was not undeserving.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

I thought it was really well done, even if I've always found Miles Morales to be the least exciting Spider-person.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LeJackal posted:

I thought it was really well done, even if I've always found Miles Morales to be the least exciting Spider-person.

I love Peter but he has never been exciting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kangra posted:

Disney/Pixar got a win with Bao (in Animated short) but Bao was not undeserving.
Bao’s good, but it was a really, really strong category. One Small Step and Weekends are both stronger.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Barudak posted:

Agreed, I was rooting for Isle of Dogs because I adore that movie, but Spider-verse was such a well-crafted, enjoyable film that I'm totally fine with it winning. Incredibles 2 did not deserve to coast by on the Pixar reputation.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

asecondduck posted:

I love Peter but he has never been exciting.

He's better than Miles, but that is a low bar.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Agreed, I was rooting for Isle of Dogs because I adore that movie, but Spider-verse was such a well-crafted, enjoyable film that I'm totally fine with it winning. Incredibles 2 did not deserve to coast by on the Pixar reputation.

Yeah, Incredibles 2 was not as good as the first, with a weird subplot and strange character-work.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I own the disc for a while, but sounds like it not worth watching INcredibles 2.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Isle of Dogs is wholly more original, but Spider-verse is a very, very easy to like film. Reminded me a lot of the Lego Movie.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LeJackal posted:

He's better than Miles, but that is a low bar.

Yeah, Incredibles 2 was not as good as the first, with a weird subplot and strange character-work.

I kind of liked it better than the first, but that's just me. And while I was HEAVILY rooting for Spiderman to win, the hate Incredibles 2 is getting is REALLY loving weird and kind of messed up. Like yeah I get it, Pixar and Disney ALWAYS win, Spiderman was INCREDIBLY loving good in every level, and we need a change, but GODDAMN.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rirse posted:

I own the disc for a while, but sounds like it not worth watching INcredibles 2.
It's still a good watch, it's just not a great watch like the first was.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm glad spider verse won but it's bs broly didn't get a nomination

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rirse posted:

It’s not really bad, it just... Didn’t entirely live up to expectations after well over a decade.

To be honest, it feels like they decided halfway through production that they were going to lay the seeds for a 3rd film, instead of just letting it be a continuation of the original.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I'm glad spider verse won but it's bs broly didn't get a nomination

don't worry, funimation will fail to get it a nomination next year when it would actually be eligible

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm glad Spiderverse won because I feel like it has done more to advance the medium than any other contender.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dogsicle posted:

don't worry, funimation will fail to get it a nomination next year when it would actually be eligible

Nah theyll sweep categories like "Best Animation (abs)" and "Best Original Broly"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Masaaki Yuasa's (Ping Pong, Devilman Crybaby, the life cycle episode of adventure time etc) latest film Night is Short, Walk on Girl is in cinemas and it is real good, and absolutely bonkers. I struggle to accurately explain what this film is about or why it is good, except to say that I really liked it and it is worth seeing if you want something you haven't seen before. It's trippy and weird, with the symbolic layer and the literal layer kind of swapping around and getting mixed up in a sort of magical realism kind of way. At one point it turns into an opera for an extended sequence.

Also it's a spiritual sequel to and based on a book by the guy who wrote The Tatami Galaxy.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

Masaaki Yuasa's (Ping Pong, Devilman Crybaby, the life cycle episode of adventure time etc) latest film Night is Short, Walk on Girl is in cinemas and it is real good, and absolutely bonkers. I struggle to accurately explain what this film is about or why it is good, except to say that I really liked it and it is worth seeing if you want something you haven't seen before. It's trippy and weird, with the symbolic layer and the literal layer kind of swapping around and getting mixed up in a sort of magical realism kind of way. At one point it turns into an opera for an extended sequence.

Also it's a spiritual sequel to and based on a book by the guy who wrote The Tatami Galaxy.

My local cinema keeps screening this on 10am weekdays once a month and it's an absolute tease. It looks so good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Moon Atari posted:

should i watch tatami galaxy before watching this?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

should i watch tatami galaxy before watching this?

It's not necessary to. It's considered a spiritual sequel building on the storytelling style, but is it's own thing. There are some shared side characters, but it's more of an easter egg than something that contributes to the story. It might even be more enjoyable to go in blind and be completely surprised by it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rirse posted:

It's a good superhero movie, it just isn't much more than that. The first one is literally one of the best action movies ever made, so it's a tough act to follow.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Basically, Incredibles 2 biggest problem is that it stretches out what should have been the first act of a proper sequel (re-legalizing supers) into the entire movie, so it suffers for retreading a lot of the same ground as the original.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Regalingualius posted:

Basically, Incredibles 2 biggest problem is that it stretches out what should have been the first act of a proper sequel (re-legalizing supers) into the entire movie, so it suffers for retreading a lot of the same ground as the original.

Yeah, I can see this. The central conflict of the movie kind of ends up being a fake-out because one of the main characters is lying the whole time about wanting to legalize superheroes, so they rarely get into any of the thematic stuff about superheroes being good or bad for society. The only time they do it's actually 90% because of a personal grudge and not a really coherent reason. I can see a better movie where they start out by legalizing superheroes and then show the ramifications. It could've even paralleled the role of police in society, which I know is basically a mine field that probably would've angered everybody 10x more than the Rand stuff, but they already kind of hinted at it with the body cameras.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Lemming posted:

It could've even paralleled the role of police in society, which I know is basically a mine field that probably would've angered everybody 10x more than the Rand stuff, but they already kind of hinted at it with the body cameras.
The funny thing is the villain hates Supers because her father misplaced trust in them, but she's totally oblivious to the fact he was entitled to what amounts to a city-levelling private police force due to his wealth/connections. It really works against making her hatred intelligible or sympathetic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I liked it when the Screenslaver, a villain with no superpowers, just clocks Elastigirl in the face when he's running away.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
walk on girl is radical

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

Holy poo poo, I need to see this. Masaaki Yuasa is great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kefkafloyd posted:

this deserved to win, so I'm glad it did!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

TIL Angry Birds 2 is being directed by Thurop Van Orman (the Flapjack guy)

Update, I have now learned that, unlike the first film, it's being released under the Sony Pictures Animation label (putting it in the same awkward "animated by Imageworks, released under the SPA label, but not actually produced by SPA" realm that Arthur Christmas is in)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I only wish I could travel back in time and tell a fifteen year old me sad about Clone High being cancelled that the creators would one day win an Oscar for a Spider-Man movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I only wish I could travel back in time and tell a fifteen year old me sad about Clone High being cancelled that the creators would one day win an Oscar for a Spider-Man movie.

One with black Spider-man and girl Spider-man and old washed up Spider-man and detective Spider-man and Porky Pig Spider-man and Japanese schoolgirl Spider-man, no less. That'd be some Uncle Nintendo tier crazy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One with black Spider-man

Are you talking about his suit?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

They also made the Lego movie! Dudes are doing great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lego Batman was also awesome. They were executive producers on Smallfoot also. And they directed & produced the pilot to Brooklyn-99 for some reason.