Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The children's museum in Olympia is legit as hell.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The children's museum in Olympia is legit as hell.

That is all.

real hosed up our state capital has an entire museum about children like they're an endangered species or something

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tacoma's is good too.

Edit the one in seattle is poo poo.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

BrandorKP posted:

Tacoma's is good too.

You should see our dog museum though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If that's a real thing where is it?

Pacific Science Center is good, museums become a hobby once one has kids.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Museum of Flight is good

Pacific Science center is ok

MOPOP rules

The aquarium is expensive but understandably so I suppose. OpEx has to be crazy high for them.

Both Seattle and Tacoma zoos are a lock

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The WA State History Museum in Tacoma is solid, if a little dry. The Pt. Defiance Zoo and Aquarium is great and keeps updating and modernizing their facilities and exhibits which is a nice bonus. MOPOP has been my favorite museum in the PNW for a while but sometimes I think they don't rotate through exhibits quickly enough. Or maybe I just had a period where I went too often. But their Star Trek thing a couple years ago was amazing and their permanent sci-fi collection is really nice.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah Pt. Defiance, Seattle aquarium and zoo in Seattle have been regular gotos. Tacoma's zoo lights are better in the winter too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah Pt. Defiance, Seattle aquarium and zoo in Seattle have been regular gotos. Tacoma's zoo lights are better in the winter too.

Oh yeah Zoolights is awesome. We've missed the last couple years but I am pretty sure I've gone almost every year since I was like 12. That was... Some time ago.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh also the living computer museum and MOHAI are excellent.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
OMSI in Portland is really fun to take kids to as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Solkanar512 posted:

Hell Yeah. Also a membership with OMSI gets you and 3 other people into the Museum of Flight in Tukwilla(?) because they are both okay of the ASTCI. Taking a family tipp Museum of flight one and then to OMSI once is probably enough to cover an OMSI membership.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Point Defiance aquarium has sharks, Seattle aquarium does not, making it better despite being less than half the size.

The Pacific Science Center is alright but completely pales in comparison to other major cities' science center equivalents (Chicago and NY come to mind).

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, it has measles and everything!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, it has measles and everything!

Yeah, I wouldn't take a kid too young to be vaccinated or an immune compromised there or frankly to any other public place in Western Oregon or Western Washington right now. If your kids are old enough to be vaccinated and aren't, you should get them vaccinated and then you should get a vasectomy.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If you enjoyed the Living Computer Museum and have older kids, the Telecommunications Museum is a hidden gem. Watching a mechanical switching device place a call was pretty neat.

http://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle/

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Hell Yeah. Also a membership with OMSI gets you and 3 other people into the Museum of Flight in Tukwilla(?) because they are both okay of the ASTCI. Taking a family tipp Museum of flight one and then to OMSI once is probably enough to cover an OMSI membership.

Portland Zoo membership gets you in free (plus others, depending on membership) to one another museum each month, too.

Also OMSI should have never moved out of Washington Park.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It's hard to get a submarine up a hill though.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Oscar Wild posted:

It's hard to get a submarine up a hill though.

... I'm trying to make a Fitzcarraldo pun, but it's not coming together.

Hill-OMSI will always be better because of the giant blue and green tetrahedron thing. At least in my nostalgia-soaked brain.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oh also the living computer museum and MOHAI are excellent.

I've been thinking about that computer one, I was worried it wouldn't be kid friendly. I'll have to hit it up. Done MOHAI a couple times. Also have hiked the first 45 minutes of every trail within a 45 minute drive of North Bend.

therobit posted:

and then you should get a vasectomy.

The good guy that did a hospital circuit through most of the region retired and handed off his practice, I think I was one of the last before the transition. New guy is apparently not as good.

George
Nov 27, 2004

MOHAI makes me sad because it used to be where Seattle Aquatics headquartered and it owned knowing that when my boss looked out the window she actually saw water.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Who gives a poo poo about what their boss sees out of a loving window? What a weird thing to care about.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So it looks like Oregon gets statewide rent control.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Who gives a poo poo about what their boss sees out of a loving window? What a weird thing to care about.

What I meant was that it was the only remaining link she had to the actual work being done in the division she was in charge of.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Javid posted:

So it looks like Oregon gets statewide rent control.

PULL UP!! PULL UP!!!!!!!!!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

PULL UP!! PULL UP!!!!!!!!!

Watch Kate inexplicably veto it as a final send-off to Dennis Richardson. "He never managed to become governor, but with this veto, I think we can all smile knowing that, if just for one shining moment, Oregon was governed the way he would have wanted..."

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Time to bulldoze some old buildings to take advantage of that sweet sweet new construction loophole

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Christoph posted:

Time to bulldoze some old buildings to take advantage of that sweet sweet new construction loophole

How did anyone not notice that glaring, miles wide, 'as-advertised-on-the-tin as a way to counter arguments that this would discourage development' loophole?

xrunner posted:

If this passes developers will simply exploit loopholes to ensure all new buildings are less than fifteen years old :smug:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
How strange that developers that rape the local infrastructure will plow anything over 15 years.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
What was the official argument for that loophole, anyway? Was it along the lines of "job creation" or something?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Christoph posted:

What was the official argument for that loophole, anyway? Was it along the lines of "job creation" or something?

The argument is that it takes a lot of time and money to build new buildings and those people should get to soak rent at whatever the market will bear for a while. There's a lot built into that assumption that I think is wrong but the carve-out is there because it is intended to keep people from trying to kill the overall package by going "well the builders won't build any more new buildings so this will just make things worse"

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Tacoma's is good too.

It's better because it doesn't gate keep access to indoor play space behind a bullshit paywall.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 5, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

So this is pretty cool:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...k&ICID=ref_fark

A giant ball of 60000 sturgeon just chillin' at the foot of the dam.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

therobit posted:

So this is pretty cool:

It's been 11 years. Did they figure out why they were balled up?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
33 police units called out for a fight at a middle school basketball game in Vancouver:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/mar/15/fight-leads-to-cancellation-of-vancouver-eighth-grade-basketball-tournament/

Guessing "riot" is code for "kids milling around being jerks" but I doubt we will ever get more details.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

therobit posted:

So this is pretty cool:

It's like every new paragraph restates a previous one over and over.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's like every new paragraph restates a previous one over and over.

For some reason when I was reading it I couldn't help but think about the episode of South Park where they have a giant gay orgy to keep people from the future from coming back in time and stealing their jobs.

Also LOL I got owned by a news aggregator reposting this article several years after publication.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

therobit posted:

For some reason when I was reading it I couldn't help but think about the episode of South Park where they have a giant gay orgy to keep people from the future from coming back in time and stealing their jobs.

Also LOL I got owned by a news aggregator reposting this article several years after publication.

Hah I didn't even notice the date, I'll be damned dammed. For what it's worth you can strip the fark referral part from the url if you want.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Seattle passed an upzone for some of the city. It’s okay but not great. Only around 6% of SFH are impacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Seattle passed an upzone for some of the city. It’s okay but not great. Only around 6% of SFH are impacted.

And most of the wealthier, NIMBYier neighborhoods NIMBYed their way out of it, too.