Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What's the best course of gear progression for fresh 70s? I know there is crafted gear, but that still looks pretty pricey on the MB. Is it just Mendacity and the normal raids until you can slowly build up Genesis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Finally getting back on board the skalla horse, just three pieces of gear left before I have the full set! Knocked out two pieces in one run when I finally got the tank chest. And drat this set dyes well.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SonicRulez posted:

What's the best course of gear progression for fresh 70s? I know there is crafted gear, but that still looks pretty pricey on the MB. Is it just Mendacity and the normal raids until you can slowly build up Genesis?

If you've gotten through the first two parts of Eureka, you can, for the investment of 2-3 hours in Pyros, pick up full 380 left side. You'll get a bunch of genesis for your effort too. I wouldn't bother trying to do it for gear if you hadn't done part of Eureka already.

If you've got a geared character at cap already, the answer is just to run grimlyht dark for 375 gear.

Otherwise, yeah, just go through the highest dungeon you can for drops from it and pick up mendacity gear if you dont' wanna pay for the 390 crafted pieces. One or two pieces can boost your average ilvl fairly significantly though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My first exposure to this game was this thread, and it was a selling feature that you could go into Cleric Stance and do respectable if not good DPS between heals.

:same:

I mained WHM through ARR and from my early days of healing in Copperbell and Toto-Rak, I loved knowing when to switch in and out of Cleric. I ended up switching to PLD for HW and most of SB, taking RDM on as a main in the post 4.0 story, so I kind of miss WHMing, but swapping those stances was a lot of fun back in ARR.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

SonicRulez posted:

The first few post-stormblood dungeons like Temple of the Fist give generous gear drops. Also do your hunts, especially the weeklies, and you can redeem the seals for i330 gear iirc.

Once you hit ilvl 300 you can stop worrying about it and jump into Anemos

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The ease/importance of the 330 Centurio seal (Lost Allagan) set, which can be further upgraded to 340 with more seals, can't be overstated.

A full set costs ~865 seals. You can earn 200 seals per week from the weekly elite hunts, and another 110 per day from the tier 3 normal hunts (remember that you can do both Stormblood and Heavensward hunts, which you can probably knock out in 20 minutes combined), so that's 6 days of hunts, or 4 if there happens to be a Tuesday between when you start and finish.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I hit 70 I first bought Rakshasa weapons, then did hunts and dungeons to get the required ilvl for the burn and then I just ran the poo poo out of that since it gives ilvl 360. Getting a piece of gear from the burn is like buying a mendacity gear.

Then when you can chain run Ghimlyt, do that since it drops 375 and also is the best dungeon.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Leofish posted:

I mained WHM through ARR and from my early days of healing in Copperbell and Toto-Rak, I loved knowing when to switch in and out of Cleric.

You could leave cleric stance on through the entirety of copperbell, but it didnt matter because everything died before you could damage it anyways

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also Im finally through the 60-63 dregs with all my crafters and gatherers and that was the roughest transition so far. Complete HQ gear and full materia slots and I was still only hitting 80% gather rate on stuff my level.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

How do you go about upgrading the i380 crafted gear? I thought I heard they started doing that in 4.3 and the crafted i350, but I can't seem to find info about it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DizzyBum posted:

How do you go about upgrading the i380 crafted gear? I thought I heard they started doing that in 4.3 and the crafted i350, but I can't seem to find info about it.

There's a vendor on the west side of Rhalgr's, north of the scrip NPCs, who upgrades the various crafted sets.

ETA: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/J%27tandhaa

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SonicRulez posted:

if you're on excal, i'll make you a 380 left side

e: vvv how many friends?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I see. My friends are finally starting to ding 70 and get close to finish up Stormblood. I can't really justify sending them into Eureka this late. I might be able to convince them to do hunts. Dungeon drops + tomes will be fine then I guess? I just wasn't sure how hard the ilevel requirement could be. They got through HW fine because you can just grab Augmented Shire stuff and coast.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Minrad posted:

Finally getting back on board the skalla horse, just three pieces of gear left before I have the full set! Knocked out two pieces in one run when I finally got the tank chest. And drat this set dyes well.

Except the BRD/MCH body-piece. For whatever reason, the dye-able parts of it are the very tiny straps. Why the hell wouldn't I want to change the white of the coat, SE?! It's a great piece otherwise, but they really dropped the ball on dye-ability for that one.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Has anyone talked about how stupid and bad the construct 7 fight is?

Can we do so?

I still want to know why construct 7 is stupid and bad

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well I finally made it to post game patches in Stormblood. I know about the hunts to gear up, but what order do I tackle the dungeons in?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's been a long time since I played and I had a nice party for LDR despite dying once. Another reminder of how nice the community is compared to a lot of other MMO and I feel like the first few days back is always hell to recall buttons. I turned in my tomes and I gained i156 now uhh it might take awhile.

btw: are ppl still playing BLU? I have the quest but not sure if I want to the only one grinding skills.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How does one even level BLU?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Verranicus posted:

How does one even level BLU?

They get vastly increased xp from kills, so you run around the world and murder mobs, ideally in areas where you might learn new skills. It's a bit like Eureka, but out in ARR zones and you're an overpowered rear end in a top hat with 1000 Needles. I found it a pretty relaxing grind with Netflix on, but it's very much not engaging in and of itself. Your dps "rotation" from level 20 to level 50 is essentially Sticky Tongue -> 1000 Needles until dead.

The one trap is that you should absolutely not do fates: fate mobs give no XP and completing a fate is about as much XP as killing a regular mob for BLU.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xerophyte posted:

They get vastly increased xp from kills, so you run around the world and murder mobs, ideally in areas where you might learn new skills. It's a bit like Eureka, but out in ARR zones and you're an overpowered rear end in a top hat with 1000 Needles. I found it a pretty relaxing grind with Netflix on, but it's very much not engaging in and of itself. Your dps "rotation" from level 20 to level 50 is essentially Sticky Tongue -> 1000 Needles until dead.

The one trap is that you should absolutely not do fates: fate mobs give no XP and completing a fate is about as much XP as killing a regular mob for BLU.

Also, a friend can power level you to 50 in like 45 minutes in any level 50 zone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Bad Breath is good for leveling, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

1000 needles is good at first but falls off hard way before 50, especially because it doesn't stack with any buffs and has a long cast time. I mostly just holed up in those ruins in North Shroud and killed dullahans until I was almost 50, forget what spells I was even using at that point though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just do the job change "glitch" to level to 50 in like an hour

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also, a friend can power level you to 50 in like 45 minutes in any level 50 zone.

I found the Sapsa Spawning Grounds to be great for this. Near the northwest end there's a loop you can run with clusters of mobs and cannons that you can AOE nuke down easily after the BLU tags them, and the respawn timer is about the same as the time it takes to kill everything in the whole loop.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

just do the job change "glitch" to level to 50 in like an hour
That would be disrespectful to the content, and to blue magic as a whole

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also i thought they fixed that last patch

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how should I go from 60-61? Can't do HoH til 61 and POTD gives less exp for a 60 than a 59.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Always 👏 respect 👏 content

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

:hai:

Kwyndig posted:

Also i thought they fixed that last patch
Did they? It's been around for a long rear end time so I'd be surprised, and people are still using essentially that trick to farm light in Eureka

I know they did fix the blu exp bonus applying to your chocobo, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Did they? It's been around for a long rear end time so I'd be surprised, and people are still using essentially that trick to farm light in Eureka

I'm curious, how are they using it to farm light?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious, how are they using it to farm light?
You fight the monsters near the bunny fates, and just after you kill one but before it awards exp and light you hit the level sync button. I've never done it so idk if its actually any good, seems like a lot of effort but I guess if you want to grind solo its one avenue

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

the fix was basically a global 2-300% boost to chocobo XP. and making a blu chocobo the same as everyone else.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

homeless snail posted:

1000 needles is good at first but falls off hard way before 50, especially because it doesn't stack with any buffs and has a long cast time. I mostly just holed up in those ruins in North Shroud and killed dullahans until I was almost 50, forget what spells I was even using at that point though

It falls off but not very hard that I recall. When I ran the numbers I still got more single target DPS out of 1000 Needles than the assorted 130 potency alternatives for all of the 40s, maybe excepting the Ram's & Dragon's Voice combo which I didn't have since I couldn't be arsed to run Cutter's Cry a bunch when the Chimera trial was waiting. Quite possibly my gear was uncommonly poo poo; I stopped midway to craft some random mid-30s HQ pieces and used them until 50, more or less. Something like Bad Breath and Plaincracker spam is definitely faster through the 40s if you can fight 2-3 mobs at time without downtime but for me at least that wasn't very effective, possibly because my gear was poo poo.

It's honestly not that important, leveling BLU is a trifle any way you slice it. It's possible to do by murdering your way through ARR with your choice of overpowered spells, enlisting an even more overpowered friend to murder for you, or otherwise cheating. The meat of the job is finishing your spell list at 50 by repeatedly clearing various trials and instances until you get lucky, and doing the Masked Carnivale. You may or may not enjoy those things -- personally I found the grind unbearable and the carnivale pretty fun -- but there's little reason to feel intimidated by the leveling to 50 part of the job if you want to check them out.

[E:] If any new-ish to the game needs a Skinner box motivation for doing a bit of Blue Maging: the Masked Carnivale is a really good way to get allied seals and therefore those sweet, sweet mount speed increases. It's something like 100k gil, 2000 seals and 1800 poetics for doing the entire thing. Poetics can always be turned into Anima relic weapon progress, or desynthesis skill points, or glamour prisms to be sold for gil, or whatever...

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 26, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They said the exp/light glitch fix is being aimed for 5.0, because it involves changing the core of the exp system to correct.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

You fight the monsters near the bunny fates, and just after you kill one but before it awards exp and light you hit the level sync button. I've never done it so idk if its actually any good, seems like a lot of effort but I guess if you want to grind solo its one avenue

It's very RNG and only worth doing it at night or when there's weather for sprites (Night mobs and sprites give massively more light than other enemies). You can farm for an hour without a single light proc and then get 5 bars in 2 minutes. I found it way, way faster than doing it the "normal" way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homeless snail posted:

That would be disrespectful to the content, and to blue magic as a whole

there's nothing more respectful to the spirit of BLU than using random jank to make it work. i mean this unironically.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Zokari posted:

It's very RNG and only worth doing it at night or when there's weather for sprites (Night mobs and sprites give massively more light than other enemies). You can farm for an hour without a single light proc and then get 5 bars in 2 minutes. I found it way, way faster than doing it the "normal" way.

I did this with yarzons instead of wolves, averaged something like 4.5 bars of light per hour without any sprite/demon procs (and obviously when one of those does proc it's fantastic.) I'd argue it's the best way to grind light, though the number of mobs near the fate can only support so many people doing it at once.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I've been doing cold boxes and getting like 4-5 bars of light in like 2 hours, even though I have no plans on doing a 3rd relic :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

What could have been a sweet glam but forever locked behind PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is tonight just a regular maintenance, or is something special happening?