Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Nah, gently caress you, I'm goddamn perfectly perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

it's pua neg tip week

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yeah the order of difficulty should go split jerk < power jerk < push press < strict press but your feet might be too stupid to do the split jerk thing (mine kind of are) so I practice getting the dip and drive correct with power jerks until I feel comfortable that I can land in the lunge I need to.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
:eng101:

Being able to press more than you can jerk was once the norm. When the clean and press was finally eliminated as an Olympic lift, many lifters were using an exaggerated back bend and hip action, essentially bench pressing the barbell in midair. Famously, the Americans blamed the Soviets for the degeneration in pressing form, and vice versa: whether a press would be red-lighted or not typically came down to the national composition of the judging panel, with first world judges often white-lighting questionable Western presses and Soviet bloc judges doing the same for their side. In the very early days of Olympic weightlifting, French and German lifters engaged in the same back-and-forth re: whose presses were legitimate and whose weren't.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erVblY7aiU

An overview with some pictures can be found here, as well.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For split jerk practice and warmups, I hold a PVC pipe in the lockout position then practice a quick dip-drive and split. Helps me find a consistent feet position. The pipes just to feel the balance out in the lunge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've put on 5lbs since I last weighed myself the gently caress is wrong with me.

New press and (double overhand no cheats) deadlift prs are now meaningless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

I've put on 5lbs since I last weighed myself the gently caress is wrong with me.

New press and (double overhand no cheats) deadlift prs are now meaningless.

5lbs is nothing unless you are a woman and even then.

I’ve “gone up” 5 lbs after a weekend of partying.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Super proud of myself - today I strained something in my side on my second squat set and instead of doing my programmed last set I... didn't.

I may be getting smarter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

5lbs is nothing unless you are a woman and even then.

I’ve “gone up” 5 lbs after a weekend of partying.

Cool. I've not been partying though.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Can we not talk about overhead pressing? I tore my rotator cuff last year and can't OHP ever again so please be considerate.

I took rehab to heart and more since Im a painter I wouldve lost my lively hood and now my shoulders are stronger in every aspect but I just can't even rack the barbell up to squat height on the rack with out my shoulder collapsing in pain.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 26, 2019

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

VorpalFish posted:

Super proud of myself - today I strained something in my side on my second squat set and instead of doing my programmed last set I... didn't.

I may be getting smarter.
Good poo poo. Knowing when to push through and knowing when to say "that's enough for the day" is very useful.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My weight has stayed at 210 for the past few weeks but I'm getting stronger so I'm going to keep eating like a poo poo and call it a recomp.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aschlafly posted:

:eng101:

Being able to press more than you can jerk was once the norm. When the clean and press was finally eliminated as an Olympic lift, many lifters were using an exaggerated back bend and hip action, essentially bench pressing the barbell in midair. Famously, the Americans blamed the Soviets for the degeneration in pressing form, and vice versa: whether a press would be red-lighted or not typically came down to the national composition of the judging panel, with first world judges often white-lighting questionable Western presses and Soviet bloc judges doing the same for their side. In the very early days of Olympic weightlifting, French and German lifters engaged in the same back-and-forth re: whose presses were legitimate and whose weren't.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erVblY7aiU

An overview with some pictures can be found here, as well.

the most amazing thing about this lift to me is actually the clean

like even today that'd be an impressive clean. that was nearly a half century ago and he's only 77 pounds or so behind lasha. And that's without modern coaching, diet, training, and chemicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERSK3ezVYA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

Cool. I've not been partying though.

Oh well sorry about getting fat then.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

like even today that'd be an impressive clean. that was nearly a half century ago and he's only 77 pounds or so behind lasha. And that's without modern coaching, diet, training, and chemicals.

From what I've heard, weightlifting actually hasn't had the constant incremental increases in performance that other Olympic sports have seen. They change up the weight classes every now and then so they can throw out the old records out and start over. People today aren't cleaning and snatching any more than they did 50 years ago.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I heard that they redid the weight classes right around the time the Olympics got serious about steroid testing. Apparently anybody comparing the current lifters to the records would've realized very quickly that something was up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

I heard that they redid the weight classes right around the time the Olympics got serious about steroid testing. Apparently anybody comparing the current lifters to the records would've realized very quickly that something was up.

They changed it up like last year, too, if that's not what you're referring too.

The IWF kind of has an iron grip on the sport too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

turd in my singlet posted:

From what I've heard, weightlifting actually hasn't had the constant incremental increases in performance that other Olympic sports have seen. They change up the weight classes every now and then so they can throw out the old records out and start over. People today aren't cleaning and snatching any more than they did 50 years ago.

weird. its almost like human beings have inherent physical limitations. bizarre.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

The clean, no.

the jerk and snatch, absolutely.

Again, lasha is sitting at 257. This was 234 in 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SVc9BMi18

But the smaller weight classes are getting just stupid strong. So again, that dude in 1977 hit 234 as a super heavy today. This is martirosyan hitting 236 as a much smaller lifter today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nopJgclbv5A

and here's a former gold medalist making that weight look like a toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxhWZT89L2c

at some point you're getting to the limit of what the human body can physically do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

also sadly we'll never get to know ilya's true 1rm since he'll never be allowed to lift again lol

this was his last competitive lift and uh it doens't look hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXqJN1PyD0E

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Someone please go here and make a trip report.

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1099404241079173120

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Oh well sorry about getting fat then.

Thanks.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

What happens if you go in there and just start lifting dumbbells without a headset

Do you get kicked out or

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

god i'd sweat like a motherfucker in those goggles

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
on todays episode of variations that feel much harder than they should, 232x3 SSB squats were really hard. I think my 3 rep max back squat is probably 300 or more. although I probably could have done more on the SSB but it was really surprising how hard 232 felt. a lot of pressure on quads and upper back like a front squat.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nah that's about how a SSB should be the first time. For most people SSB will be 10-25% behind their normal squat depending on how much practice they get with it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
405x5 deadlifts rep PR last night, felt really good. Down 10+ lbs in a week, good bye salami

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

god i'd sweat like a motherfucker in those goggles
It looks like someone perpetually got out of the shower without drying off everywhere I go at the gym. Like a large aquatic mammal just left the bay and waddled on through.

I'd be driven insane by a VR mask. It'd need a significant degree of water resistance, and it would still probably cause me to break out. Nevermind hygiene issues.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 26, 2019

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Bending my back enough to put on socks this morning was agony. Guessing deadlifts tomorrow won't happen.

gently caress.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*drops weights*

-You have been banned from the gym. Please contact the moderators-

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

That's a very impressive vid, all the more impressive for the outstanding work that singlet is doing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
but but but exercise will stunt your growth

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Those kids gonna have ripped privilege their whole life. It's not fair.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why would professional athletes do goblet squats as opposed to any other form of squatting?

Also why would they do jumping trap bar deadlifts when their day job involves a lot of sprinting/impact on the knees?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just got this email.

Juggalo gains.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Because professional strength coaches are beholden to people who know nothing about strength and conditioning working with individuals that are genetically gifted enough to just look at weights to grow stronger and recover so they can program goofy bullshit that "looks cutting edge" therefore ensuring they retain thier job and still have them game ready since strength training for almost all pro athletes is GPP.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Cage posted:

I just got this email.

Juggalo gains.

I'm 75% certain that all of those are just variations of crystal meth.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

Because professional strength coaches are beholden to people who know nothing about strength and conditioning working with individuals that are genetically gifted enough to just look at weights to grow stronger and recover so they can program goofy bullshit that "looks cutting edge" therefore ensuring they retain thier job and still have them game ready since strength training for almost all pro athletes is GPP.

My cousin was a British Lion and the one time I discussed strength training with him he told me all about the half squats he used to do.

For such a sport-mad country it's crazy how far behind American high schools we are in terms of training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I could see goblet squats being used in an off or accessory day. That would make some sense.