Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Gudao carries chocolate around (possibly from valentines?) and Gudako carries a raw onion. This is canon. It’s all very simple and straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gudako is a big fan of the novel holes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2EFUKuQCI

what is this

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crasical posted:

Salter straight up asks 'why do you even have that' and you meet the dog OUTSIDE her base, so I think they were just carrying it around.

It was the style at the time

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nasu you coward. Stop making "Saber but" if you're so ironclad about Saber's story being over.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The canon in my head for the raw onion is, much like Gudako needs Chaldea's help with magical energy output, Gudako also needs external help for generating tears on demand.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A reminder that Gudako is canonically able to use ninjutsu to a practical extent.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So Yan Qing is a Suikoden crossover, huh.

Has anyone actually read the book he's actually from? Is it popular in Asia?

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Bakanogami posted:

A reminder that Gudako is canonically able to use ninjutsu to a practical extent.

Apparently someone once made a list of all of Gudako's skills but everyone that has ever mentioned this list either hasn't provided a link or doesn't remember how to find it, and honestly I really, really want to see it.

Is there literally anyone that has a link.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Yan Qing is a fictional character in Water Margin, one of the Four Great Classical Novels in Chinese literature.

dunno, you tell me

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aurora posted:

dunno, you tell me

I asked you first :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gudako is obviously carrying the onion in case she gets a cold

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vengarr posted:

I haven't, and apparently it's held in the same regard as "Journey to the West," "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," and that other one that nobody ever makes video games or animes about "Dream of the Red Chamber."

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Apparently someone once made a list of all of Gudako's skills but everyone that has ever mentioned this list either hasn't provided a link or doesn't remember how to find it, and honestly I really, really want to see it.

Is there literally anyone that has a link.

I actually found the copypasta in question and am currently about halfway through a translation.

It's like 80% just all the compliments and stuff servants give guda at bond 5, and opens by noting that various people have said that Guda resembles Scathach, Martha's little sisters, Medea's little brother, Ozymandias's brother(s), Artoria, Angra Mainyu, and Kokutou Mikiya, all at once.

I don't see any mention of the onion though, and it stops at CCC, so it's pretty incomplete.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

I didn't realize it was in Japanese, so the lack of links now makes much more sense.

Also, thank you for translating that, it looks like a lot of information.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

water margin is an incredibly fun read because its written in really casual language and the bandits are actually written like they're bandits with no manners, so it's a big classical war epic with lines like

quote:

"First of all, I've had a big cock since childhood."

and its all about how incompetent and greedy government officials are.

W.T. Fits posted:

I haven't, and apparently it's held in the same regard as "Journey to the West," "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," and that other one that nobody ever makes video games or animes about "Dream of the Red Chamber."
People make games and anime about red chamber, just not in a direct way. It's almost an exact predecessor to every 'guy interacts with a bunch of girls with varying amounts of tragic backstory and romantic interest in him' thing ever made. Like, the main character is mostly a vehicle for the audience to experience the girls' and the girls mostly refer to him by their relationship with him rather than his name or anything, and the characterization he does get is mostly about him being intelligent and his dad not liking him. There's even lines that randomly mention the girls' bust sizes for basically no reason. It's a harem anime.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 26, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And they should fill out the four great novels in this game by adding the loan shark older cousin girl from Red Chamber who does nothing but get drunk and make lame jokes and also causes half the cast to fall into financial ruin.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Endorph posted:

And they should fill out the four great novels in this game by adding the loan shark older cousin girl from Red Chamber who does nothing but get drunk and make lame jokes and also causes half the cast to fall into financial ruin.

Isn't that just Taiga?

e: Or Aqua.

I don't want Aqua.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Too bad, she's already in the game

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
...didn't Medea chop up her brother and serve him to the king her father and his people in an elaborate feast because Medea was the original yandere?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Endorph posted:

People make games and anime about red chamber, just not in a direct way. It's almost an exact predecessor to every 'guy interacts with a bunch of girls with varying amounts of tragic backstory and romantic interest in him' thing ever made. Like, the main character is mostly a vehicle for the audience to experience the girls' and the girls mostly refer to him by their relationship with him rather than his name or anything, and the characterization he does get is mostly about him being intelligent and his dad not liking him. There's even lines that randomly mention the girls' bust sizes for basically no reason. It's a harem anime.

how do it and genji monogatari compare as antecedents to modern japanese cartoon harems

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
as someone who's been reading genji monogotari recently, I appreciate the occasional side thought from one of the pretty boys about wanting to see some other pretty boy as a woman because of how beautiful they look, often during sorrowful times like after someone's just passed away

it almost always just comes out of nowhere and it owns

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gologle posted:

...didn't Medea chop up her brother and serve him to the king her father and his people in an elaborate feast because Medea was the original yandere?

Not quite. When she and Jason and the Argonauts were fleeing Colchis with the Golden Fleece, her brother was on the lead ship pursuing them. She had Jason stop the ship and raise a white flag of surrender. When her brother came aboard the Argo to reclaim the fleece and her, she had the Argonauts ambush him and kill him, then immediately set sail again. Then she had them chop the body up and drop pieces of it into the sea behind them, forcing their pursuers to abandon chasing the Argo so they could reclaim the prince's body to ensure that it was given proper funerary rites.

The whole point of retrieving the Fleece was that Jason had struck a deal with Pelias, who was currently ruling Jason's homeland despite Jason being the rightful heir to the throne - if Jason brought back the Fleece, Pelias take it as proof that Jason was the rightful king, and he would renounce his claim to throne. When Jason actually came back with the Fleece, Pelias went back on his word and refused to honor the deal. So in order to get rid of Pelias, Medea showed his daughters a ritual where she took an old goat, chopped it up, tossed it into a pot and performed a spell that caused the goat to spring back out, alive and young again. The daughters thought to use this on their father to rejuvenate him, except when they tried it, it didn't work.

Tantalus, a dude from a completely different myth, had been invited to Olympus by the gods to partake in a banquet, but he broke the laws of sacred hospitality by trying to steal ambrosia from them. So they booted his rear end out of Olympus and he was made a laughingstock which... honestly is kinda mild as far as punishments from the Greek gods goes. Humiliated, he tried to get revenge on the gods by inviting them to a banquet at his castle, to show there were no hard feelings, and attempted to serve them his own children, who he'd murdered and cooked in retaliation for their mocking him over the whole stealing from the gods thing. The gods figured out what was up, and smote his rear end. His punishment in the afterlife was to be placed waist deep in a pool of cool, clear water, with the branches of a fruit tree hanging just overhead. And then he was stricken with terrible thirst and hunger, but whenever he leaned down to drink, the water would recede from him, and if he tried to reach up to grab the fruit, the branches would move out of his reach.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FGO also contextualizes what Medea did to her brother as a thing she did while she was more or less influenced/mind controlled by the Greek gods, rather than her own will.

So while Medea thinking of you as her little brother/sister does have unfortunate implications due to how myths repeating themselves being a thing in Fate, it's also an expression of affection.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Also, Medea was basically brainwashed into loving Jason so much she'd do anything for him by a conglomeration of gods (Hera convinced Aphrodite to have Eros force the matter), so trying to truly blame her for any of that is somewhat dubious. Jason, of course, knowing all this and what she'd done for him, after some time decided he liked someone else better and dumped her.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

People want to reunite Artoria with Shirou in FGO but I want to reunite Medea and Kuzuki.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Speaking of Servant lore, what's the deal with Emiya Alter?
I tried looking it up, but, I couldn't entirely follow it.

So, basically he was doing Emiya stuff. Then he got duped by the Demon Nun into going against everything he stood for? And that is why he abandoned his Name and everything?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

how do it and genji monogatari compare as antecedents to modern japanese cartoon harems

genji is almost more shoujo romance in some ways?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

the_steve posted:

So, basically he was doing Emiya stuff. Then he got duped by the Demon Nun into going against everything he stood for? And that is why he abandoned his Name and everything?

You get his backstory in the CCC event which is coming up soon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got to reunite Kiara and Andersen and that's basically all I can ask for

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
https://twitter.com/coughdrops/status/1100216063575285760

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

We know very few details of the Emiya Alter timeline. What we know is that you start with normal Emiya, who if you've read/watched UBW you know does not have a very happy time already, but (possible spoilers for part of the CCC event, but the same info is also already in his profile at bond 5. Also spoilers for character material V I guess?)at some point he comes into contact with Kiara and her cult, who are Bad News, and he has to take her out. We don't know many details, but we do know that he had to kill a lot of her followers to get to her since she tends to brainwash everyone around her.

The biggest hint we get about what exactly happened in his past is from his entry in the Character Material books, where he has a line about Jaguarman "…あんたと、その息子を、オレはー", which roughly translates to "...you and, that/your son, I-". It's so short and vague that its hard to translate into English, but the particles in the Japanese indicate he took or is taking some sort of action towards "you and your son". The two primary theories I've seen on Japanese speculation boards about what comes next are either "loved", taking the interpretation he went the Taiga route and that the son being referred to was also his son, or that the next word is "couldn't save", or even worse "killed", implying that Taiga got married, had a kid, and the two of them wound up getting caught in Kiara's cult and killed, possibly by Shirou's hand.

There are other theories that he was referring to himself somehow as Taiga's son (not likely, it seems weird based on the grammar), or that he was actually talking about the aztec god jaguarman and not Taiga (lol no). Some people have also wondered if this might specifically be the Shirou at the end of the Mind of Steel bad ending in stay night.

I'm going with the "He had to kill Taiga and her son" theory, personally. It would explain how utterly broken he is. In any event, the only thing the character material proved for sure is that even though he's lost almost all his memories Taiga is still a big enough existence to him that he can still recognize her.

He's basically normal Emiya cranked up to 11. His body is falling apart, he's losing his memories, he's lost his sense of taste, he's burnt himself out even more due to his rough magecraft (which is supposed to be why his skin got even darker in the JP version), and he has even less hesitation to slaughter innocents, backstab allies, etc for the sake of completing his mission as a counter guardian.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 26, 2019

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If anyone else has the awful stuttering frame rate problems on the iPhone XS, setting the newly added option “Cache Battle Data” to OFF seems to improve it somewhat.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 26, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Argas posted:

People want to reunite Artoria with Shirou in FGO but I want to reunite Medea and Kuzuki.

Mozart and Salieri.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't have Salieri yet. I rolled on the banner where he was on rateup with Ivan when Part 2 started proper.

I got Mordred instead.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mozart and Salieri.

Kiritsugu and Kotomine.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I got friggin' Fionn in my 10-roll. But he was just a test of faith. I got doggo Avenger in the next single I made.
And good doggo got two Great Successes leveling him up. :kimchi:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
How good are Melt and Passion VS Mecha Eli? I was going to roll for one of them, but when I tried to get Lancelot on the Camelot banner I ended up with Gawain, and it made me so angry that I'm thinking of restricting my rolls to the banners for things I really want badly (Single target Saber and 5 Star Riders) until such a time as those holes in my roster have been filled.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

How good are Melt and Passion VS Mecha Eli? I was going to roll for one of them, but when I tried to get Lancelot on the Camelot banner I ended up with Gawain, and it made me so angry that I'm thinking of restricting my rolls to the banners for things I really want badly (Single target Saber and 5 Star Riders) until such a time as those holes in my roster have been filled.

All 3 are quite good, but fill slightly different roles.

Melt is a quick ST who puts out a ton of damage, some stars, has a good dodge, and can reduce enemy NP power to survivable levels.

Passion is a Tanky Buster gorilla with an AoE NP that also heals the team up.

Mecha Eli is a ST Buster gorilla with a self NP charge and all the tools to give one really big NP buster brave chain turn.

Mecha Eli is great for coming in one turn with a kaleidoscope, charging to 100%, and dropping a very powerful NP. I'll usually use her either in my frontline to break the first gauge, or as one of my last servants to pump out a bunch of damage and save the day if the fight's not going well. By contrast, she isn't as great in long fights, since her defensive options are slim and she doesn't bring too much utility (she can generate stars per turn, strip defense debuffs, and lower defense, but the stuff on her NP hits after the damage). For longer fights Melt is a better choice. Her defensive tools are great and she pumps out a shitton of damage. I don't find Lip to be quite as easy to use, but in general when it comes to Alter Egos AoE is better than ST because they can deal with mixed groups. And Lip does do her gimmick pretty good.

In general Alter-egos are very nice to have just because they kind of have advantage over 3 different classes. That means there are roughly 3x as many fights where they can be effective, so they're a good investment of resources. Makes team building easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I don’t know but cat Gilgamesh and cat kotomine being a pair is great, especially catamine just eating mapo tofu while Gil attack’s